daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:11 PM   #1161
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Oh I'm liking this!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1162
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Good news!
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #1163
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Hines mentioned Nouvel's Torre Verre in this May 4, 2011 press release on its website.

http://www.hines.com/press/releases/5-4-11.aspx

PRESS RELEASES
Hines Sells 750 Seventh Avenue In New York For $800+PSF
(NEW YORK) – The New York office of Hines, the international real estate firm, announced today that it has closed on the sale of 750 Seventh Avenue, a 34-story, 600,000-square-foot office tower located between 49th and 50th streets. The buyer is Fosterlane Management Corporation and the asset transacted for $485M, slightly above $800 psf. CB Richard Ellis Group, Inc. represented the seller in the transaction.

750 Seventh Avenue was designed by the Pritzker Prize-winning architecture firm Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo Associates and was completed in 1989. One of a limited number of buildings constructed in the midtown core in the last 20 years, the property was acquired by Hines and an institutional equity partner in 2000 from Morgan Stanley, the building’s owner since 1994 and long-term major tenant, occupying more than half of the building. Over the course of a decade of ownership, Hines kept the building fully occupied and extended all of the leases in the property on a long-term basis.

Hines and Morgan Stanley have carried out a large portfolio of significant work together in the New York area over the past 20 years.

In the 1980s and early 1990s, Hines and Fosterlane, the buyer of 750 Seventh, carried out the development and construction of a portfolio of projects which established Hines’ presence and reputation in the local marketplace including the development of 31 West 52nd Street, the Lipstick Building (53rd At Third), and 225 High Ridge Road in Stamford, CT. Fosterlane‘s re-entry into the New York marketplace is also expected to align long-term sponsorship with the continued high-quality occupancy of the building.

“We are happy to have selected Fosterlane as the new owner of 750 Seventh Avenue. Together we share a 30-year history of successful real estate investment and development. Our success with this asset only further reinforces our confidence in New York City as the strongest real estate market in the U.S.,” said Hines Senior Vice President Tommy Craig.

Hines continues to also be active on other development projects in New York as well. At 1045 Avenue of the Americas, Hines is working with Pacolet Milliken on a commercial building designed by Pei Cobb Freed, and at 53 West 53rd St., Hines is developing a Jean Nouvel-designed mixed-use tower adjacent to MoMA. Hines has been active in the New York market since 1981, having developed in excess of 15 million square feet in the area. In addition, Hines is an active asset and property manager of both equity and third-party assets.

Hines is a privately owned real estate firm involved in real estate investment, development and property management worldwide. The firm’s historical and current portfolio of projects that are underway, completed, acquired and managed for third parties includes 1,126 properties representing more than 459 million square feet of office, residential, mixed-use, industrial, hotel, medical and sports facilities, as well as large, master-planned communities and land developments. With offices in 106 cities in 17 countries, and controlled assets valued at approximately $23.7 billion, Hines is one of the largest real estate organizations in the world. Hines is also a world leader in sustainable real estate strategies, with extensive experience in LEED®, ENERGY STAR®, BREEAM, Haute Qualité Environnementale and DGNB green building rating systems. Visit www.hines.com for more information.

PS: The following statment from the NYC Planning Dep't describes why Hines needed the LPC's approval for the air rights transfer:

http://www.plannyc.org/taxonomy/term/1005

The Nouvel Tower at MoMA
A new tower dubbed Tower Verre is being planned in Midtown Manhattan adjacent to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). Developed by Gerald Hines, an international real estate developer, and designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Jean Nouvel, the proposed skyscraper is expected to incorporate residential units, hotel space and additional exhibit space for MoMA. Developer Gerald D. Hines claims “Nouvel’s exciting concept has the potential to become an international architectural design icon.”

Hines purchased the 17,000 square-foot lot, at 53 West 53rd Street between 53rd and 54th Streets, from MoMA for $125 million in 2007. The lot was once home to the City Athletic Club. As described in the original 2007 press release, Hines envisioned a 75-story mixed-use building with a 100-room seven-star hotel, 120 luxury apartment units, and an additional 50,000 square feet of MoMA exhibit space on the 2nd through 5th floors. Since 2007, more recent descriptions have quoted the tower at 82 stories.

Nicolai Ouroussoff, the New York Times architecture critic, has said the building will be “the most exhilarating addition to the skyline in a generation.” While many in the architecture community have commended the design of the new building, many residents and elected officials are concerned with its size and scale, which was slated to rise 1,250 feet. Hines has the capability to build a tower just over 1,000 feet as-of-right (without any approvals), but needs transferred air rights and special permits for his proposed design. The proposed height and density of the building were contingent on the approval by the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) of a transfer of air rights from two landmarked buildings, the University Club and the Thomas Episcopal Church - both located near the site. In March of 2008, Manhattan’s Community Board 5 (CB 5) voted 21-1 against the transferring of air rights to the new MoMA building from the landmarked buildings. However, CB 5's vote was only advisory and in May of 2008, the LPC voted 7-0 to approve the air rights transfer.

The Coalition for Responsible Midtown Development, comprised of residents and businesses, continue to protest the proposed tower's height and bulk and the shadows that it will cast over the area and MoMA's sculpture garden. The group charges that the tower will turn the W. 54th into a canyon lacking light and air and asserts that the method used to sell air rights to the tower abuses zoning laws and distorts the intent of landmarking provisions. State Senator Liz Krueger (D-26th District) has said she is opposed to the building because it is “grossly out of scale” with the neighborhood. Other public officials - such as City Council Member Daniel Garodnick (D-4th District) and State Assembly Member Richard Gottfried (D-75th District) - have echoed concerns and community opposition.

Because the tower requires a special permit, the development must win approval through the City’s public review process, the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP), and the City's environmental review process, the City Environmental Quality Review (CEQR). ULURP began in May of 2009. Soon after, in mid-June, CB 5 voted against the project. Following CB5's disapproval, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer (D) conditionally approved the proposed Nouvel tower in mid-July of 2009. Both CB 5's and Stringer's votes are only advisory. In September 2009, the City Planning Commission ordered 200 feet to be removed from the top of the building, changing the proposed height from the original 1,250 feet to 1,050 feet. City Council approved the tower in late October.

Last Updated: November 2, 2009

Last edited by RobertWalpole; July 24th, 2011 at 05:17 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1164
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

NYC is on a roll!

Keep the good news coming Robert, they are very much appreciated!
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #1165
Sammo Haya

Likes (Received): 0

Yay, More supertalls for the U.S.
I also wonder what strategies are used to construct buildings with such unique designs.
Sammo Haya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #1166
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Here's an example of the NIMBY attitudes in that 'hood:

Quote:
From ARTINFO http://www.artinfo.com/news/category...tinfo-letters/

In response to "Philistines!": Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel Lash Out at Parisians After a Museum Is Delayed, February 8, 2011

Nouvel's interpretation of the opposition to his tower is misplaced. Promising a contextual design, he tried to impose a 1,250-foot tower on a mid-block location in a low-rise area where the Museum Tower apartment building to the east is 52 stories and the CBS building to the west is a similarly normal size for midtown. We are not interested in embalming the city. Au contraire, we want a gorgeous building that is scaled to the neighborhood. In his presentation of the design, Mr. Nouvel said, "Now everyone will know where MoMA is." Did he really think that was true?

RitaSue Siegel
Vice President West 54-55 Street Block Association
Coalition for Responsible Midtown Development
New York, NY
So these idiots don't mind living next to a 52 story Caesar Pelli apartment tower or a '60s Saarinen 'black box', but can't handle 1,250' of classy starchitecture? Hypocrites!

Here's their sad little website btw: http://web.me.com/dalyreville1/W54/

Free free to express your views! I did.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; July 25th, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #1167
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

As Garfield would say: "Everyone who is a NIMBY should be dragged out into the street and shot."

I mean really, how pathetic one can be?

Let's just hope everything turns out well and this project will begin construction soon, after all it's the most beautiful tower ever proposed in NY.
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1168
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain to me exactly what a NIMBY is and what it stands for?

All I get is that they're opposed to skyscrapers. I don't know if it's skyscrapers in general or just skyscrapers in New York though.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #1169
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_man12345 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain to me exactly what a NIMBY is and what it stands for?

All I get is that they're opposed to skyscrapers. I don't know if it's skyscrapers in general or just skyscrapers in New York though.

Not in My Back Yard it's more than just skyscrapers it can be anything from Nuclear Power Plants, Windmills, and of course skyscrapers.
sweet-d está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #1170
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Oh. That's stupid. So basically, they don't wants cities to grow?
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1171
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2603

Yes, they are crusaders for the holy status quo.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1172
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

In my opinion if people fear for a skyscraper blocking the sun, they should move to a suburb and not live in Manhattan. After all, nobody's gonna build a supertall in a suburb.

nylkoorB liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #1173
Dirty new yorker

I've heard the term NIMBY's alot. I worked for a foreman around the my/nj area. And there were lots of "nimbys" that got in the way of downtown zoning plots, and one time an industrial water tower. They care because it ruined the view of mountains, and created extensive traffic. But I never understood how a nimby of skyscrapers in a city could exist. It sounds very non-progressive to me, go live up in the adirondacks if you don't like buildings.
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #1174
Brizer

Likes (Received): 4199

Nimby/nimbies oppose CHANGE. They not only oppose tall buildings but all changes, alterations or additions in their neighbourhood, town, city. They are EITHER fearful of change itself AND/OR fear that change will affect the real estate value of their home, town, city OR both. They are usually very comfortable and familiar with their current situation and fear anything that might 'threaten' it. Or, they are just loudmouthed dickheads who oppose everything.
I'm in Sydney, Australia, and it's exactly the same here as in NY - and just about anywhere else in the Western world.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #1175
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

You got yer NIMBYs, and then there's the BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything)...

...and around West 54-55 Streets, we have the worst form of NIMBY: NOPEs. (Not On Planet Earth)

ChuckScraperMiami#1, nylkoorB liked this post
Old July 26th, 2011, 02:02 AM   #1176
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

The Nimby against this building, shut the hell up. When they thought the could get some money and a highraise apartment lol.
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1177
Liberater444
Soldier of Many Fortunes

Likes (Received): 0

This is such a cool design! How could someone not want this gracing their city???

Personally, I think the building would look better if the spires met at the top at a point, but that's just me
Liberater444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #1178
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

This thing looks sinister to me.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1179
Dirty new yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberater444
This is such a cool design! How could someone not want this gracing their city???

Personally, I think the building would look better if the spires met at the top at a point, but that's just me
Like the India tower is supposed to look?
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1180
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

therealdeal.com

Nouvel's MoMA Tower back on
July 27, 2011 09:00AM

Jean Nouvel and the Torre Verre It seems like architect Jean Nouvel's Torre Verre, or MoMA Tower, might be back on track, with a spokesperson for developer Hines admitting that the project was back on and imminent, the New York Observer reported. Nouvel's skyscraper, delayed by the financial crisis, was first introduced in 2007 to much critical acclaim. It would rise as high as 1,250 feet on land traded by the Musuem of Modern Art to Hines, for $125 million and three floors of galleries in the base of the new building. It would be tall enough to rival the Empire State Building. Planning Commission chair Amanda Burden was less enamored with the tower than others and insisted that 200 feet be knocked off the top, making it smaller than even the Chrysler Building. According to the Observer, Hines has quietly filed a new set of plans with the Department of City Planning, compliant with two special permits that the commission and the City Council approved in 2009. [more]
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
53 w. 53rd st., jean nouvel, midtown, moma, new york, nyc, supertall, tower verre