daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 8th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #261
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
I can't really blame them seeing their ridiculous low wages
Come on, they were offered like a 8% wage raise, and they're still not happy. And now they're using football for their actions, again. Bunch of losers they are.
Joop20 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #262
genkie456

Likes (Received): 0

Genk will expand its stadium to 45000. It has confirmed its candidature yesterday.

Brugge will build a new stadium of 40000-45000 (price 125 mio; UEFA 4star)

Brussels will build a new 60000 seater (price 250 mio in a complex of 1 000 mio euro's; with a press center, conference rooms, ...)

Antwerp will build a new 40000 seater

Luik will build a new 45000 seater (UEFA 4star)

trainingscomplexes:

Tubeke :

Academy Louis-dreyfus (Luik):

Gent (20000 seats):

charleroi : new 40 000 seater

Sint-truiden: 15000 seats + hotel

Bergen/Mons: 12000 seats

Last edited by genkie456; June 20th, 2008 at 06:25 PM.
genkie456 no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #263
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermeer View Post
The Netherlands and England have problems with hooligans.
I'm a little out of the loop, when was the last problem with ENGLISH hooligans? There was some bother with some SCOTTISH fans who got upset when they couldn't watch a big screen the other week, but not ENGLISH.

40000 odd fans went to Russia for the champs league final - no reports of fighting at the stadium, or in the city, or on the planes, ferries, trains, etc., transporting them.

Three big big games at Wembley over the last weekend - huge pressure, high stakes games, pretty close to all sold out... How much trouble? One or two Leeds fans taking a swing at Doncaster players on their way to collect medals... And that's all.

A Premier League season of near sell-out crowds at most of the clubs, lots of pressure, lots of atmosphere - trouble? Didn't see any, didn't hear of any... Big derby matches between Man Utd-City, Spurs-Arsenal, Liverpool-Everton, Man Utd-Liverpool, Sunderland-Newcastle, etc., bother? None.

England vs Croatia... A match with Euro finals football on the line... England knocked out... Riots? None.

This one has been overplayed for years by those outside of England. They are simply no longer a nation plagued by hooliganism.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #264
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Does Belgium really need that many 40,000+ seaters?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #265
genkie456

At least 30 000+ seaters because in 2011 you can only play eurpean games in 30 000+seaters. Uefa rules
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #266
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Anderlecht, Brugge, Luik and Genk could fill them pretty good I guess. Charleroi I do not think so. Antwerpen well... Antwerpen, first see, then believe.
I´d love to see a Belgium Dutch league after or just before the WC 2018. That would be a pretty strong league which could be just as strong as for example the French league.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #267
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5597

If all is well organised a joint Dutch-Belgium league would be a stronger one, but I doubt that they could be as strong as the French league. Let alone England, Spain, Germany or Italy.

The idea has been a point of discussion many times in the Netherlands and Belgium. I am not sure if it will ever happen. Even Glasgow Rangers and Celtic can not enter the Premiership in England, so a combined league is still very far away.
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #268
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkie456 View Post
At least 30 000+ seaters because in 2011 you can only play eurpean games in 30 000+seaters. Uefa rules
Really? What about a team like Wolfsburg. They have a brand new arena but their capacity is below 30,000. Seems like a stupid rule because some teams don't need 30,000 seaters.

Do you have a link for that new rule?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #269
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

The UEFA list is on wikipedia.

Only 4* stadiums can host European games, they have a long criteria.
Steel City Suburb no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #270
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

They can host UEFA-Cup finals. It says nothing about regular European games. Or are we talking about something different here?

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #271
skaP187

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
If all is well organised a joint Dutch-Belgium league would be a stronger one, but I doubt that they could be as strong as the French league. Let alone England, Spain, Germany or Italy.

The idea has been a point of discussion many times in the Netherlands and Belgium. I am not sure if it will ever happen. Even Glasgow Rangers and Celtic can not enter the Premiership in England, so a combined league is still very far away.
England, Spain and Italy are defuently out of reach. The French league is mop stronger then the German league at the moment.
Historicly the Netherlands alone have won more European titels with clubs then Germany or France. German clubs have big potential when you look at the caps of the stadiums and more important how many people realy go. Seen from that perspective the level of France would be possible for Belgium and the Netherlands together. (I did the maths one time, I´ll see if I can find it.)
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #272
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Regarding the notion of joint leagues...

The idea remains an option under UEFA policy but would also cut the volume of clubs spots allocated for European competitions. For instance, if the Netherlands and Belgium hosted a joint top flight, then they'd also be sharing berths for ECL and UEFA cup spots, compared to each league getting their own spots as they do today. Given that teams from these leagues can make decent appearances in those competitions that's some money and exposure they may not be able to offset via a joint league.

Further, the Eredivisie is already large enough and receives enough global media that the merger might not provide the full benefits supposed. Sure adding Brugge and Anderlecht would help, but if you're also losing 8 Dutch clubs in exchange for ten Belgium clubs, would that significantly increase TV and gate revenue to aid the lower clubs now pressed to the second division? I don't know. It seems the template would be more appealing for leagues in smaller countries or those with much weaker (financially) leagues, like the proposed Scandinavian or Balkan Super Leagues.

If such a merger did happen I agree the league would likely be stronger on the field and could over time grow very appealing and competitive internationally. If it did succeed might that also hasten other mergers (British Premiership?) or renew the discussion of marrying the nations?

Sorry to threadjack! Back to the stadia talk!!
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #273
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Btw shouldn't we use the term "Bene" instead of "Benelux"? Luxemburg isn't there!
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #274
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Btw shouldn't we use the term "Bene" instead of "Benelux"? Luxemburg isn't there!
Va bene!!
rover3 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #275
skaP187

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkie456 View Post
Gent (20000 seats):

Have they been so smart in Gent that a would be expension of this stadium would be ´easely´ possible.
I am asking this because the Euroborg in Groningen is not possible to serious expand to like 40 000. They will need to build a new stadium for that is serious roumers are saying.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #276
skaP187

Any ideas how the expanded stadium of Genk would look like? and while I am on it. How far are the plannes for Club Brugge and Standard de Liege?
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #277
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

The stadium in Ghent will be built in such a way that expansion is possible.

The plans for a new stadium in Liège are still very vague, but there is a consensus among the club, city and region that it is needed. I don't see any obstacles.

Bruges is another story. Money is not a problem and construction could start as we speak. But there are several groups opposing the new stadium: Witte Pion (White Pon) from Loppem, the village neighbouring Bruges where the stadium will be located, and some shop and restaurant owners from Bruges who claim to represent all their colleagues when saying that the shopping mall adjacent to the new stadium will ruin business in Bruges.
And then there's politics. A few months ago the Flemish Governments asked Bruges, Zedelgem and Oostkamp for advice. None of them opposed to the new stadium. They also excluded the option of expanding the existing stadium. The Flemish Minister-President promised a decision in March. He broke it. Many studies have been made, sometimes with conflicting conclusions, on the need of a new stadium and shopping mall, the impact on environment and economy, etcetera. Now the Flemish Government starts all over again and goes back to the cities for advice. They even reconsider an expansion of the current stadium. I guess it's all a matter of conflicting interests and the fact that politics can not tolerate that concrete plans have been made over their heads. But above all: INCOMPETENCE. The plans are there, the money as well. All studies have been made. The future of Flanders' number 1 football club are being compromised by fear, protectionism, conservatism... it's bloody frustrating
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #278
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Well that's just great! Now I have to update all my maps, my globe...

Old May 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #279
genkie456

Stadium of Genk: certainly a large third ring (20 000 seats) , maybe combined with a lowering of the pitch (3000 seats extra)
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #280
skaP187

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Well that's just great! Now I have to update all my maps, my globe...

Don´t worry, we can always put some trainingscomplexes in Luxemburg!
skaP187 no está en línea  

Closed Thread