daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #281
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
The stadium in Ghent will be built in such a way that expansion is possible.

The plans for a new stadium in Liège are still very vague, but there is a consensus among the club, city and region that it is needed. I don't see any obstacles.

Bruges is another story. Money is not a problem and construction could start as we speak. But there are several groups opposing the new stadium: Witte Pion (White Pon) from Loppem, the village neighbouring Bruges where the stadium will be located, and some shop and restaurant owners from Bruges who claim to represent all their colleagues when saying that the shopping mall adjacent to the new stadium will ruin business in Bruges.
And then there's politics. A few months ago the Flemish Governments asked Bruges, Zedelgem and Oostkamp for advice. None of them opposed to the new stadium. They also excluded the option of expanding the existing stadium. The Flemish Minister-President promised a decision in March. He broke it. Many studies have been made, sometimes with conflicting conclusions, on the need of a new stadium and shopping mall, the impact on environment and economy, etcetera. Now the Flemish Government starts all over again and goes back to the cities for advice. They even reconsider an expansion of the current stadium. I guess it's all a matter of conflicting interests and the fact that politics can not tolerate that concrete plans have been made over their heads. But above all: INCOMPETENCE. The plans are there, the money as well. All studies have been made. The future of Flanders' number 1 football club are being compromised by fear, protectionism, conservatism... it's bloody frustrating
A shame that it takes such a long time in Brugge, as I remember it was a real struggle in Gent too. The planns of Antwerpen ´I take with a little bit of salt´ to be hounest. They are having planns there for about 20 years there, but are lacking the power to make a decision and the club who would play in it.
For Antwerpen I am more hoping that they get two 20 000 + stadiums. One for GBA and one for RFC Antwerp. Those two will and should never go together. A bit the The Hague situation in Holland. Big city/potential, but no big club.
But don´t wurry this stuff is not only hapening in Belgium.
AZ Alkmaar and FC Twente are having the same problems with to much bureaucatie. Twente is finaly expending to about 24 000, with final aim of
40 000. AZ wants to expend from 17 000 to about 25 000 and then to 40 000+ to, but they have even more problems.
FC Groningen now seemes to have made the catastrophic and all to often made blunder, about not thinking how to expand there stadium if nescesary. Now they came from a long way, so in a form it is allready a good result where they are at the moment, but they want more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkie456 View Post
Stadium of Genk: certainly a large third ring (20 000 seats) , maybe combined with a lowering of the pitch (3000 seats extra)
This would meen this stadium would have 3 (and a half) rings. Very nice. I allready like the stadium as it is, so that promises a lot.
skaP187 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM   #282
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Btw shouldn't we use the term "Bene" instead of "Benelux"? Luxemburg isn't there!
In Luxembourg there are some conferences planned when there is a WC.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:28 AM   #283
skaP187

And ofcourse the bookkeeping for the WC will be done in Luxemburg. Low taxes, so even more profit for the Fifa. Don´t underatemate the part of Luxemburg!!!!
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM   #284
Rhjh

Likes (Received): 87

You have to understand that it was this small stadium or no stadium at all. FC Groningen want it a 30.000 stadium city council did not, if the club refug there would be no new stadium at the moment and probable no Fc Groningen.

We where in a ***** position 10 years a go and could have never build a stadium at are one, we had no money at the time. Luckily beter management has turned the club back to its former glory with the first 9 teams of the division, and at the moment money problems are no longer a concern. If we still played at the Oosterpark stadium now with the same budget a new stadium would probably by 30.000 or bigger

And after the summer the Euroborg stadium will be extended with 2600 seats so the capacity would be 22.500 And there is still a investigation going on if whe can make the capacity of Euroborg even bigger. It is end a problem of it can't by don, but it's a problem of how much it will cost.
Rhjh no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:32 AM   #285
Zeno2

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhjh View Post
You have to understand that it was this small stadium or no stadium at all. FC Groningen want it a 30.000 stadium city council did not, if the club refug there would be no new stadium at the moment and probable no Fc Groningen.
Even a small stadium can be designed in such a way that future expansion is possible. The only thing you need is an architect who knows the meaning of the word 'stadium'.
In Groningen unfortunately, it was not the case.
If you can remember Wiel Arets' initial (and in my opinion unrealistic) drawings of the Euroborg stadium, it is no wonder that expansion problems have occurred.

This will always be the problem with architects who have a big ego: they design for themselves and for their own glory. And that is what happened with the Euroborg stadium. The architect wanted to re-invent a type of building that already exists for more than 2.000 years.

The concrete exterior of the built project for instance is horrible, a pain in the ass, stadium unworthy. Even an average prison wall is more attractif.

Beauty of a stadium must come from the logic of it's construction, like is the case with the Kuip or AZ stadium. For that reason I love those stadiums. They are honest in construction and design.

The interior of the stadium on the other hand is okay. Thanks to the input from the fans otherwise the stands (based on the first drawings) would have been an even bigger disaster than the outside :

Zeno2 no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:11 AM   #286
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Respect to your countries for bidding for 2018 but can you guys really compete with this

Wembley Stadium.Photo by Sparks in the UK Forum
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM   #287
Carrerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrio415 View Post
Respect to your countries for bidding for 2018 but can you guys really compete with this

Holy ground of football. But it would be nicer if they had renovated old Wembley instead of demolishing it considering its historical value in football.
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM   #288
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Holy ground of football. But it would be nicer if they had renovated old Wembley instead of demolishing it considering its historical value in football.
Too bad they didn't consult you. Bad Wembley.

So, you think FIFA will consult you this time?
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM   #289
Carrerra

You shouldn't have done this here. This is about the symbolic place of football. You should have pretended to respect non American sport just apparently. I admit that you are a master of sarcasm but there is no room for your sarcasm here. It looks like you're not educated in a proper way at home.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:33 AM   #290
rover3
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Phooey. So sue me.
rover3 no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #291
Carrerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover3 View Post
Phooey. So sue me.
I'm not entitled for it. Only UK guys can do it. But don't worry baby. They have great tolerance
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #292
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

@Mario: you would be surprised. The Belgian mentality towards sports infrastructure might not be ready to produce something like Wembley, but I'm pretty sure the fierce competition between Amsterdam and Rotterdam will result in a great and huge stadium. Are you really that convinced that no stadium will ever be able to compete with new Wembley? Why? Iconic value? History, tradition? Architecture? Atmosphere? Or just because of the name and location?
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM   #293
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

Actually, yeah! Feyenoord Rotterdam are going to build a new stadium with a capacity between 70k and 100k, and Ajax Amsterdam are going to expand their stadium to about 70k.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #294
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 965

Quote:

Well you can expect a 106.000+ stadium in the Netherlands (Feyenoord stadium) if the WC should be awarded. Other wise a new stadium will probably stay at 80.000.

So I seriously don't see why Belgium and the Netherlands aren't able to compete with the bid from England. And we don't know what we have to expect from Ajax (although PSV is doing it better, their biggest rival is Feyenoord) that wants to have a bigger stadium, virtually all matches are sold out in a stadium with 51,628 seats in the last 10 years.
Old June 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #295
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5605

Taking Wuppeltje's answer into account the answer to your question marrio415 is a clear YES!

We can come up with something like Wembley. It is probably not going to be that luxurious, but in all it will be an ever better stadium then Wembley.

The Nieuwe Kuip (Stadium Feyenoord) in Rotterdam will be designed for 106.000 seats, with full retractable roof and a sliding pitch for the perfect grass quality. It will have at least 7.000 business seats and a minimum of 100 business units. Initially it will probably be built as a 80.000+ stadium, but it is not ruled out yet that they will build the 106.000 version from the start. But all the plans including transportation and all the permits will be ready for the large version of the stadium.

The Amsterdam ArenA will most likely be expanded to over 70.000 seats. Further improvements are also planned for that stadium. So there you have a pretty good match for i.e. the Wembley-Old Trafford combination. If I make the comparison, especially when I take the surrounding infrastructure into account, I would put my money on the Amsterdam-Rotterdam combination than on the London-Manchester combination.

Don't worry, I still believe the Benelux bid is the outsider in the bidding, but it is not unthinkable we will get to organise it together with Belgium.

But the good news is this: With or without the WC-2018, along with a lot of other Dutch stadium developments going on at the moment, these two huge stadiums in the two largest cities of the Netherlands will be built.

Last edited by EPA001; June 5th, 2008 at 01:40 AM.
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #296
skaP187

Quote:

Nice little stadium, but a Benelux bid will incluide one 106 000+ stadium in Rotterdam... Wembley is not my concern, the rest of the English bid is more my concern, compared to the Benelux bid.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM   #297
skaP187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno2 View Post
Even a small stadium can be designed in such a way that future expansion is possible. The only thing you need is an architect who knows the meaning of the word 'stadium'.
In Groningen unfortunately, it was not the case.
If you can remember Wiel Arets' initial (and in my opinion unrealistic) drawings of the Euroborg stadium, it is no wonder that expansion problems have occurred.

This will always be the problem with architects who have a big ego: they design for themselves and for their own glory. And that is what happened with the Euroborg stadium. The architect wanted to re-invent a type of building that already exists for more than 2.000 years.

The concrete exterior of the built project for instance is horrible, a pain in the ass, stadium unworthy. Even an average prison wall is more attractif.

Beauty of a stadium must come from the logic of it's construction, like is the case with the Kuip or AZ stadium. For that reason I love those stadiums. They are honest in construction and design.

The interior of the stadium on the other hand is okay. Thanks to the input from the fans otherwise the stands (based on the first drawings) would have been an even bigger disaster than the outside :

It is easy to blame the architect, but this time the management of FC Groningen is to blame. Understandebly at that moment, but they made the blunder to safe on the foundation, because of financial limitations at that moment. The original design was capeble of extending ´easely´. But costs were to high for FC Groningen at that moment.
Your points of critisism are not shared by everyone. The outside is still ugly, but the inside is a great succes. The stadium that not get the nickname ´Hell of the North´for nothing that fast.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #298
EPA001

One of the stadiums under construction for a possible Netherlands-Belgium bid for the WC 2018. It will be a complete bowl once completed. In my opinion it looks very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZwolschKwartier View Post
Van de foto's uit die link heb ik even snel een panorama gemaakt met autostitch:

[img]http://i26.************/34826qa.jpg[/img]

Erg gaaf!
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #299
Carrerra

FC Twente's homeground. Goooood!
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #300
EPA001

Very good. The home ground of FC Twente Enschede. It has just been renamed into Grolsch Veste. Grolsch is the second beer brewer of the Netherlands and originates from Enschede.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea  

Closed Thread