daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #301
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Very good. The home ground of FC Twente Enschede. It has just been renamed into Grolsch Veste. Grolsch is the second beer brewer of the Netherlands and originates from Enschede.
and Groenlo... and it is not Dutch anymore, itīs South African!!!
skaP187 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #302
KaSpEr5

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
and Groenlo... and it is not Dutch anymore, itīs South African!!!
It still is a dutch beer, but owned by a South African company.
KaSpEr5 no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #303
theespecialone

Likes (Received): 0

the belgium national team isnt that competitive which might hinder a joint bid
theespecialone no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:58 AM   #304
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno2 View Post
Even a small stadium can be designed in such a way that future expansion is possible. The only thing you need is an architect who knows the meaning of the word 'stadium'.
In Groningen unfortunately, it was not the case.
If you can remember Wiel Arets' initial (and in my opinion unrealistic) drawings of the Euroborg stadium, it is no wonder that expansion problems have occurred.

This will always be the problem with architects who have a big ego: they design for themselves and for their own glory. And that is what happened with the Euroborg stadium. The architect wanted to re-invent a type of building that already exists for more than 2.000 years.

The concrete exterior of the built project for instance is horrible, a pain in the ass, stadium unworthy. Even an average prison wall is more attractif.

Beauty of a stadium must come from the logic of it's construction, like is the case with the Kuip or AZ stadium. For that reason I love those stadiums. They are honest in construction and design.

The interior of the stadium on the other hand is okay. Thanks to the input from the fans otherwise the stands (based on the first drawings) would have been an even bigger disaster than the outside :

First: If anyone is to blame, then the architect is the last person. He does what he is told- those who give permits and those who hold money, those who decide WHAT THEY WANT tell architects to design something they wish.

Of course you may hate details like concrete facade (I like it, it is a form of aesthetics) or cheap looking roof, but not every stadium has to be a shining glass/steel combination or some quasi-organic looking balloon. Thank God.

Plus Euroborg is very well thought in terms of functionality, one thing you won't be able to say about current Kuip, as it's just old in construction (although yes- the shape it's in makes quite some impression). So I thnik you're misjudging this ground...

And the 106k Kuip... looking forward to it soooooooo much. But honestly- do you all think Feyenoord has a fanbase of that size? I'm not saying they haven't got, just curious of your opinions.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #305
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

For the important matches yes, for the rest they could fill it up to 80 000 I think. Like Barca does with camp nou or even better. Also the big matches for Holland will be played there, so that is 2 matches per year or something.
For me it is not important that itīs filled every two weeks. What for me is the most important measurement is it sold out with important matches against Ajax or PSV.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #306
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
For the important matches yes, for the rest they could fill it up to 80 000 I think. Like Barca does with camp nou or even better. Also the big matches for Holland will be played there, so that is 2 matches per year or something.
For me it is not important that itīs filled every two weeks. What for me is the most important measurement is it sold out with important matches against Ajax or PSV.
Sure, but they've got to have potential to pay it off. That's why I asked.
michał_ no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #307
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5677

Well, the current De Kuip, officially known as Stadion Feijenoord, is too small. They are currently expanding up the commercial facilities and are increasing the maximum capacity just a bit. From the 51.117 seats now they are now able and allowed to sell 47.000. After this last small modification the club can sell tickets for 48.500 spectators starting this season in August.

The current stadium is basically sold out every week. The average last year was 45.000+. For some matches however the capacity is lowered to 42.500 due to security reasons. Several matches were at the maximum capacity of 47.000.

But Feyenoord as a club have been struggling for many years now. The last championship was in the season of 1998-1999 under coach Leo Beenhakker. They had a remarkable season in 2002 when they won the UEFA cup for the second time in their history under coach Bert van Marwijk.

But in the league PSV Eindhoven is dominating the last 20 years, with Ajax occassionally picking up a championship or so. Still, the Feyenoord stadium is practically always sold out. Everybody in the Netherlands knows Feyenoord is a sleeping giant. Fortunately, the club is in the process of waking up again (finally). Debts are payed off (still a minor 10 million Euro's to go) and the whole club is reorganised and improved in all areas. But the waking up and reorganisation process takes a couple of years unfortunately.

This year Feyenoord played and won the Dutch cup final. Opponent Roda JC Kerkrade gave back 3.000 of their original 17.000 tickets after they tried to sell them for two weeks. Feyenoord sold their 17.000 tickets within 3 minutes!!! They easily could have sold 100.000+ for that match alone. So now the stadium, 70 years old and still an impressive venue, is now a limiting factor for the further redevelopment of the club. And the steel construction requires more and more maintenance. So the stadium can not go on forever, no matter how much we like it. And the competition of other stadiums is noticable. Almost every other top 8 club in the Netherlands have new facilities and they are expanding these new stadiums, Feyenoord can not stay behind.

The new 80.000+ to 106.000 stadium will allow the club to grow and connect financially to PSV and Ajax. Most likely they will surpass them with all the new revenue generating facilities the new stadium will have. Than Feyenoord will finally be back where they belong, at the top of Dutch football. Of course with PSV and Ajax who both are thinking about enlarging their stadiums too. PSV wants to increase from 35.700 to about 43.000. Ajax wants to expand the Amsterdam ArenA from 51.000 to just over 70.000 seats.

If Feyenoord is really playing for the championship every year, the average will easily rise to 75.000+. The big matches will easily sell out to 106.000 spectators. An average of up to 90.000 is feasable if Feyenoord is really back at the top again which includes playing in the Champions League of course!

There is still a chance they will build the 80.000+ version of the stadium first, but all the design work and all the paperwork and the surrounding infrastructure will be defined for the 106.000 seats version. In that way they can easily put in the last stands (probably an extension of the third or fourth tier) without any major redesigns and expensive construction work and without having to through all the paperwork which is required for building such a huge stadium.

So they are planning ahead and that is wise. They also want to prevent scenario's like Old Trafford, Emirates, the Veltins Arena Auf Schalke or the Allianz Arena which are sold out every week. Because these clubs all build too small. I think Schalke and Bayern could easily have an 80.000+ crowd every week. As could Borussia Dortmund if they were at the top of the Bundesliga again. As could Manchester United if they could expand Old Trafford to 90.000+. I think they would still sell out every week. And Arsenal could also fill a 70.000+ Emirates in my opinion. So better safe than sorry is the credo of the current management. A wise decision in my opinion!
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

Last edited by EPA001; June 10th, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #308
theespecialone

i cant wait to see the new feyenoord stadium it could easily be one of the best stadiums in the world
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #309
EPA001

More progress on of the proposed venues for a Belgium-Netherlands WC 2018 bid. The stadium of FC Twente (Grolsch Veste) is growing very fast. They will make it a complete bowl (about 42.000 seats) very quickly since all the new seats are already sold out for the upcoming season. This L-shaped upgrade brings the stadium from 13.000 to about 25.000 seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersenschors View Post
Nog meer foto's en bouwtekeningen: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=MCG8E4ZH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersenschors View Post
Nieuwe foto van FC Twente.net: http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=PQSGJO7R

"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #310
theespecialone

wow its so steep
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #311
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

The FC Twente stadium is going to be a great stadium once it's finished! Are they also going to get rid of those entrance stairs that are between the stands and the field?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #312
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

once this expansion is done this stadium will look like a mini st james' park looks good steep stands and close to the pitch. any renders of how it will look when the stadium will be fully finished to 40,000 ?
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #313
EPA001

Sorry, I could not find any pics that show the complete design when the stadium is finished.

But if you take a look at this website (in Dutch but with many pictures) you can follow the latest news on this stadium.

http://www.thuisbijfctwente.nl/bouw/
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #314
ottooo
Kijk omhoog!

I don't think there has been a render of the full bowl.

The best thing you can do is use your imagination with this picture:

Or use photoshop.
ottooo no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #315
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottooo View Post
I don't think there has been a render of the full bowl.

The best thing you can do is use your imagination with this picture:

Or use photoshop.
This L-shaped stadium is only for 25,000. Full bowl will hold at least 40,000!
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #316
ottooo
Kijk omhoog!

That's why you should use your imagination.

Finish the L-shape into an O-shape and there you go.
ottooo no está en línea  
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #317
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Yes, I eagerly want to use my imagination but I have no ability to do it. I don't know how to use photoshop!
Carrerra no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #318
theespecialone

imagine phillips stadion with seats
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #319
EPA001

Sorry, double post.
EPA001 no está en línea  
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #320
EPA001

Well, I am sure that when finished this one is better, or at least a more beautiful stadium then the Philips Stadium of PSV Eindhoven.

There is actually nothing wrong with the Philips stadium, it is luxurious, is modern, has four videoscreens, heated stands. But the architecture is messy with four different looking stands. Then the corners on the north side are different from the ones on the south side. And the stands (you can not call it tiers imho) do not connect nicely.

With this Grolsch Verste stadium for FC Twente Enschede, the expansion seems to be designed in a way I like much better. The design is much cleaner, and to me, more a pure football stadium then the one of PSV Eindhoven. But that is just mu opinion.
EPA001 no está en línea  

Closed Thread