daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 18th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #101
TC03

Likes (Received): 102

Two times, really.
TC03 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #102
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Two times, really.
As my old teacher used to say: overdrijven maakt de zaak duidelijk
Quintana no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #103
mavn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by europe! View Post
I don't mean N is worse in sports but to say N is much better than B isn't true in my opinion ...
Better known sportsmen worldwide?

Tom Boonen and Henin are pretty much all you have to offer. But still: "Andrew Jones Baseball" (MLB Atlanta Braves (and played for the dutch national team) ) gets more google hits than "Tom Boonen" and only slightly less than "justine Henin"

-If we look at all objective facts of all sports (big and/or small), we are way better.
-If we only look at the sports that you want to look at, were slighty better.

Let's end it there shall we?

Anyone got any new renders or something?

Last edited by mavn; November 18th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #104
Arjuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
-If we look at all objective facts of all sports (big and/or small), we are way better.
-If we only look at the sports that you want to look at, were slighty better.

Let's end it there shall we?

Anyone got any new renders or something?
Your 2nd sentence is not true lol.

There are rumours they want to build a stadium for Anderlecht and the Memorial, so it would be an athletic stadium
Arjuch no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #105
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Your 2nd sentence is not true lol.

There are rumours they want to build a stadium for Anderlecht and the Memorial, so it would be an athletic stadium
I don't think Anderlecht would ever agree with a new stadium with an athletics track though? Some people have been saying here that Brussels will get a new national stadium, but I don't see why Belgium would need a national stadium?? If Anderlecht decide to build a new 60k stadium, surely that's big enough for the Belgian national team? They can use different stadiums in Belgium anyways, depending on the opponent they're playing, just like the Dutch national team does.

The King Boudewijn stadium can still be used for athletics and other events, the current Anderlecht stadium can be demolished. Brussels will then have one 60k football only stadium, and one 50k athletics stadium, sounds pretty good!

And maybe the King Boudewijn stadium could even be used for the 2018 world cup. I know it has an athletics track, but it's a 50k stadium nonetheless. And 1 city is allowed to have 2 stadiums in a world cup bid, so why not do it instead of building a potential white elephant?

Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #106
Arjuch

Quote:
Tom Boonen and Henin are pretty much all you have to offer.
Sugar jackson or Stefan Everts, okÚ he stopped a year ago; another Belgian has replaced him I think.

Those are big sports, also in the USA. Then you have Nys too and go on ...
Arjuch no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #107
mavn

Quote:
Sugar jackson or Stefan Everts, okÚ he stopped a year ago; another Belgian has replaced him I think.

Nys...

Sure, "modderfietsen" is indeed a big worldwide sport... Come on thats hilarious. Cyclocross (isn't that the official name?) Is HUGE in Flanders, and at best the 50th most popular sport an any other country in the world.

Holland is a bigger sporting nation. Grow up and get over it. If you're going to use these kind of names, you're probably doing more harm to your statement then good...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #108
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
I don't think Anderlecht would ever agree with a new stadium with an athletics track though? Some people have been saying here that Brussels will get a new national stadium, but I don't see why Belgium would need a national stadium?? If Anderlecht decide to build a new 60k stadium, surely that's big enough for the Belgian national team? They can use different stadiums in Belgium anyways, depending on the opponent they're playing, just like the Dutch national team does.

The King Boudewijn stadium can still be used for athletics and other events, the current Anderlecht stadium can be demolished. Brussels will then have one 60k football only stadium, and one 50k athletics stadium, sounds pretty good!

And maybe the King Boudewijn stadium could even be used for the 2018 world cup. I know it has an athletics track, but it's a 50k stadium nonetheless. And 1 city is allowed to have 2 stadiums in a world cup bid, so why not do it instead of building a potential white elephant?

If the Koning Boudewijn Stadium would be used in 2018, it needs some investments. In the first place: better VIP facilities (I think the stadium has neither skyboxes nor business seats).
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #109
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Quote:

Who the hell is Sugar Jackson? Michael's nickname at an irc channel for paedophiles?
Quintana no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #110
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
Who the hell is Sugar Jackson? Michael's nickname at an irc channel for paedophiles?
The defending European champion boxing in the welter category.
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #111
patroeski

Likes (Received): 8

Belgian sport got much more to offer in than Henin and Boonen:

Soccer: Kompany, Van Buyten, Simons, Mudingay
Athletics: Gevaerts, Hellebaut
Rally: Duval, Loix
Cycling: Gilbert, De Volder, Hoste, Van Petegem
Motocross: Ramon, Strijbos
Basket: Mbenga(nba), Hervelle, Van den Spiegel, Ann Wauters
Horse Jumping: Lansink, Philippaerts, Demeersman
Mountainbike: Meirhaeghe, Pauwels, Nys
Ice Skating: Van der Perren
Sailing: Godfroid, Van Acker
Billiards: Cuelemans
and a good national Hockey Team

I am not gonna tell that Belgium is better in sport than the Netherands because they aren't. But its arrogant and stupid to say that Belgium only got two good sporters.

Last edited by patroeski; November 19th, 2007 at 05:51 PM.
patroeski no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #112
Arjuch

Quote:
Nys...

Sure, "modderfietsen" is indeed a big worldwide sport... Come on thats hilarious. Cyclocross (isn't that the official name?) Is HUGE in Flanders, and at best the 50th most popular sport an any other country in the world.

Holland is a bigger sporting nation. Grow up and get over it. If you're going to use these kind of names, you're probably doing more harm to your statement then good...
Pff this is becoming a useless discussion ...

If you had read my post properly you've should had seen that I haven't said that Cyclo crossing was big, just an exemple of a Belgian world leader in that sport. You can't convince me and I can't do it too ... so let's stop.
Arjuch no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #113
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
I think The Hague should get a 40,000 seater without further ado.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #114
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroeski View Post
Belgian sport got much more to offer in than Henin and Boonen:

Soccer: Kompany, Van Buyten, Simons, Mudingay
Athletics: Gevaerts, Hellebaut
Rally: Duval, Loix
Cycling: Gilbert, De Volder, Hoste, Van Petegem
Motocross: Ramon, Strijbos
Basket: Mbenga(nba), Hervelle, Van den Spiegel, Ann Wauters
Horse Jumping: Lansink, Philippaerts, Demeersman
Mountainbike: Meirhaeghe, Pauwels, Nys
Ice Skating: Van der Perren
Sailing: Godfroid, Van Acker
Billiards: Cuelemans
and a good national Hockey Team

I am not gonna tell that Belgium is better in sport than the Netherands because they aren't. But its arrogant and stupid to say that Belgium only got two good sporters.
I never said Belgium has only two good athletes. Some on that list are indeed very good athletes. I only said Belgium has far less world renowned athletes. I can make a list of Dutch athletes in those (and many other) sports wich will feature a lot more worldwide known athletes who have achieved more.

Soccer: Where do I start... I can name at least 20 that are waaay bigger than those 4...
Athletics: Rutger Smith, Bram Som, Rens Blom, Karin Ruckstuhl, Lornah Kiplagat, Gregory Sedoc, ... (all recent medal winners at european and/or world championships and/or Olympics)
Car Racing: Christian Albers (recent F1), Robert Doornbos (Champ Car)
Cycling: you definately win... Thomas Dekker could become big... At female cycling though, Marianne Vos is pretty much the women's equivalent to Bettini and Boonen combined
Motorcross: Tiny sport over here. we don't care...
Basketball: Dan Gadzuric (NBA) and Francisco Elson (reigning NBA Champion)
Equestrian: Anky van Grunsven is bigger than any of those (multiple olympic and word champion). Our jumping team is reigning world champion and Jos Lansink won his biggest prize (olympic gold '92) when he still competed for Holland...
Mountainbike: Bart Brentjes (multiple world champion and olympic gold '96)
Skating: We suck at figure skating and short track, but are far and away the best nation in speed skating worldwide....
Sailing: Berkhout/de koning (multiple world champions) I wouldn't know any other names, but we always win some medals at the Olympics so I guess we're pretty decent at it. Wouldn't no really...
Billiards: !?!? Well, we've got Van Barneveld (and many others) at Darts for wha it's worth...

Do I need to continue.......???

Swimming... (van den Hoogenband, Veldhuis, Dekker)
Judo (van der Geest, Huizinga, Bosch, Elmont, and many more frequent medal winners at world, european and Olympic championships)
Gymnastics: Yuri van Gelder (former world champion)
Track-cycling: Theo Bos (multiple world champion) (several others have won medals aswell; Mulder, Veldt, Hijgenaar, Kanis).
And we're (way) better at pretty much all team sports besides basketball:

Unlike your list, pretty much all of these athletes have actually won big events in their respective sports. You're just naming a few decent athletes of wich a lot compete for a top 8 spot at best and only a few are really worldclass. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't see how you can look at these lists and say you're just as good of a sporting nation as we are. Can you please explain that to me???

Apart from Tennis (it's just Henin, when she quits nothing is left), Cycling (your national sport), Basketball (you suck a little less then we do) and perhaps Motocross (you're better at it than any other country in the world) I can't think of any sport that you're beter at than we are. At pretty much all of them your'e worse...

Don't get me wrong, I wish all Belgian athletes the best of luck in their respective sport, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that you're a pretty average sporting nation and we are a better one.

Last edited by mavn; November 19th, 2007 at 07:44 PM.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #115
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I forgot how good the Dutch were at darts, don't dismiss that, if it is a sport it is played by a lot of people and is larger than a fair few others.
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #116
Arjuch

Belgians are good in Billiart ... this is endless.
Arjuch no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #117
mavn

Quote:

Belgians are good in Billiart ... this is endless.
Ok, But don't you agree that our list is a bit more impressive than yours???

You claim that you are just as good at sports, but the only big names that are hard to beat from a dutch perspective are Henin and Boonen. (excluding football that is, van Nistelrooy and Seedorf for instance are way bigger than at least Boonen and perhaps even bigger then Henin)

If you look at the rest of the athletes, on average, you don't even come close to us... And lets not start about winning things on european, world or olympic events... You're not even close.

Give me one good argument besides some random names that I can't counter with bigger dutch names, with better achievements in similar or more popular sports. If you can give me at least some of those names or achievements I could understand your position. Or maybe some non-biased people (unlike me and you) could judge our sporting achievements to decide who's better than who. Because I agree that this discussion is becoming a bit tiresome...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #118
Chimaera

What are you guys trying to prove again? And what's the importance of it in this topic, that it has been going on for 4 or 5 pages now?
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #119
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Belgium has some good youth teams. I think in 2018 they're gonna have a decent team...if the country is still around. Seriously, what would happen if the country were to break up before then?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #120
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Why am I getting a gay community ad? I guess all this talk about cycling has triggered something here.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea  

Closed Thread