daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #121
Arjuch

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Belgium has some good youth teams. I think in 2018 they're gonna have a decent team...if the country is still around. Seriously, what would happen if the country were to break up before then?
That's a difficult question, probably each part will win a World Cup, the problem is who gets the first one. There are rumours Flanders would give the first one to wallonia in return Fl. would get the European Cup.
Arjuch no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #122
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by europe! View Post
That's a difficult question, probably each part will win a World Cup, the problem is who gets the first one. There are rumours Flanders would give the first one to wallonia in return Fl. would get the European Cup.
huh?
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #123
dennol

Likes (Received): 128

One of my favourite former football players, Luc Nilis, is Belgian. That's enough for me.

Seriously isn't it stupid that a thread about the 2018 Benelux bid turns into a fight between Dutch and Belgians as if the Flemings and Walloon are not busy enough fighting each other. Luckily we are not so keen on violence or else this bid would be just as succesful as 1992 Yugoslavia trying to get the Olympics.
dennol no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #124
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

I am not a big fan of these double country bids. Russia should host the WC2018.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #125
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

The only cue game that counts, Wallonian, is Snooker, a noble Northern Warrior Game and I don't know a single Belguim player at that. More importantly this Germanic Game is spreading fast in China as another one of our sports takes over the world with so little effort. Never mind, I am sure Wallonian Nose Scratching or whatever games you have, will soon be an Olympic Sport...
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #126
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3454

Why Is this thread title Benelux 2018 World Cup bid when Luxembourg isn't even going to be a part of it? Anywas, this bid is 2nd to me. I'd rather Australia get it.
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:04 AM   #127
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcm1990 View Post
Why Is this thread title Benelux 2018 World Cup bid when Luxembourg isn't even going to be a part of it? Anywas, this bid is 2nd to me. I'd rather Australia get it.
Luxembourg will host some official WC meetings and probably the draw. Obviously, Luxembourg won't get an automatic entry. The Benelux was the first economical "union" within europe and the three countries work together very closely on a lot of issues. If done properly, nobody would ever notice that they are crossing country borders during the event. We have the same currency, no visible borders, Language won't really be a problem (all stadiums but 1 or 2 will be in Dutch speaking cities.

The reason that the bid is brought forward as a Benelux bid is because then it can be presented as a sort "one nation" bid. Japan and Korea had two different organizing committees which FIFA doesn't except anymore. The Benelux bid will have only one combined organizing committee. FIFA has already said that they don't see a problem with a joint bid if that is the case.

And about Australia, I see many problems:
-It would mean at least 16 years of no WC football in Europe.
-The time zone. It's horrible for the major TV-markets.
-The 1 stadium per city rule could be a problem. They currently heavily depend on a lot of non-football specific stadiums (ovals). So a lot of new stadiums/extension would have to be build.
-AFL will have to "give away" some stadiums for 1 or 2 months and I've gotten the impression that's easier said then done...
-It will be winter in Australia (in all honesty I don't now what that means for the average tempratures. Last time I checked, you weren't a great winter sports country so I guess there won't be a Skiing WC next door to any venue...)
-It still hasn't got a football culture. They only reached the WC last time for the first time in many, many years. I would like them to show that they are not a one hit wonder, and can actually sustain that level. For all we know, they miss the WC in 2010 and 2014, and football in Australia will die as quickly as it has risen in the last few years.

But If these problems are solved (apart from the timezone and climate obviously), Australia could make a bid that would challenge the best. Among others, the Sydney Olympics showed they are one of the best countries in the world when it comes to hosting sports events. And the general population is probably more sports crazy then any other country in the world...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #128
Kappa21

Likes (Received): 1157

Why after 18 years, does BeNeLux get to host another world cup again?
Kappa21 no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #129
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappa21 View Post
Why after 18 years, does BeNeLux get to host another world cup again?
Belgium and Netherlands hosted Euro 2000. Not the WC.

France hosted Euro 84 an WC 98 (14 years)
Germany hosted Euro 88 and WC 2006 (18 years)
Benelux hosted Euro 2000 and WC 2018 would mean 18 years
England hosted Euro 96 and WC 2018 would mean 22 years

I don't really see a problem... England has a small advantage here, But England has hosted a world cup before. Benelux has never. So, If anything, the scale would tip slightly in our advantage I think...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #130
Kappa21

Likes (Received): 1157

Im all for it, but what are you guys going to do?
You guys are heavily densed and dont have much space for new stadiums.

So whats the next solution? upgrading stadiums? From Euro 2000?
But with a small population and so forth, what is the point of making a 50,000 stadium in a city or a county with no more than 50-75,000 people?

but anyways, i wish you guys luck.
How about giving the Israel-Palestinians a shot at the World Cup?
www.goal2018.org/
Click here
Kappa21 no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #131
mavn

Quote:

But with a small population and so forth, what is the point of making a 50,000 stadium in a city or a county with no more than 50-75,000 people?

www.goal2018.org/
Click here
I think an Israel-Palestine WC would be a fantastic thing. But (without wanting to go into politics) it seems like a unrealistic dream for atleast several decades. It would already be great if they ever made a bid. Let alone get it and embrace it together in peace...

I made a big post about stadiums on page 3. Even if we don't get the world cup, by 2018 we'll have at least 10 stadiums (holland and belgium combined) with world cup capacities and facilities. It might surprise you, but the Dutch league has the same average attendance as Italy's Serie A and only slightly less than France's Ligue 1. And all stadiums are pretty much sold out for every match. So expansions are needed.

As it looks right now, from the 8 Euro 2000 stadiums, only the Amsterdam Arena and perhaps the Philips Stadium (eindhoven) will be used (maybe they'll buil a new one). Both will be expanded. All other stadiums will be either new or complete renovations (+expansions) in the euro 2000 cities and others.
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #132
Chimaera

Quote:

www.goal2018.org/
Click here
The only stadiums that might be upgraded of the possible host cities are Genk en Ghent. But in the case of Ghent that would be an expansion of a 20,000-seater that is yet to be built (2009), and Genk's Cristal Arena is the most modern and comfortable of the +20,000 stadiums in Belgium today. All the other stadiums will be new.
For now there are 7 possible host cities:
Brussels: 1,031,000 inhabitants
Antwerp: 466,000
Ghent: 202,000
Charleroi: 201,000
Ličge: 189,000
Bruges: 117,000
Genk: 64,000
So your argument concerning the size of the cities doesn't really make sense. Plus: the bigger clubs attract people far beyond the city limits. And finally, Belgium has one of the highest average attendances in relation to its population and size.
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #133
Josh
City Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
The only stadiums that might be upgraded of the possible host cities are Genk en Ghent. But in the case of Ghent that would be an expansion of a 20,000-seater that is yet to be built (2009), and Genk's Cristal Arena is the most modern and comfortable of the +20,000 stadiums in Belgium today. All the other stadiums will be new.
For now there are 7 possible host cities:
Brussels: 1,031,000 inhabitants
Antwerp: 466,000
Ghent: 202,000
Charleroi: 201,000
Ličge: 189,000
Bruges: 117,000
Genk: 64,000
So your argument concerning the size of the cities doesn't really make sense. Plus: the bigger clubs attract people far beyond the city limits. And finally, Belgium has one of the highest average attendances in relation to its population and size.
Ghent has a population of 250,000.
Josh no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #134
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Ghent has a population of 250,000.
I made a typing mistake, according to Wikipedia (if it can be trusted) the right number is 235,000.
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #135
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

So are we still on or what?!
Old November 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM   #136
mavn

Arnhem has also started an investigation to expand it's stadium.

http://www.gelderlander.nl/arnhem/21...-Gelredome.ece

Because of the retractable roof, it would be focused on getting the extra 13000 seats in the now obviously unused corners. It's an investigation on whether it can be done or not. Vitesse doesn't need the expansion. But for all the concerts and other non-football events that the stadium hosts it could be very welcome. And I think it would be pretty easy to come up with a construction in which you can blind the corners back to it's current state and only remove them when needed. It would be ideal. Vitesse won't play in a half filled stadium. But they would have 13000 seats of growth waiting to be used if needed and more revenues can be made off of concerts and other events.

But hey, that's Holland for you. We only see problems, obstacles and expenses. Never opportunities and revenues...

We needed Belgium to be reminded that we might be able to host a combined World cup, and within two weeks of announcing our bid, we have cities jumping over one and other to become a host city. I wouldn't be surprised that come 2018 we'll have enough stadiums to have hosted it ourselves... No offence to Belgium, but we might have missed a golden opportunity as a nation... We just would have needed Eindhoven to build that extra 55 to 60k seater that Brussels will deliver. A capacity that i'm pretty sure they could fill.

As one of the biggest nations in International football, we could have successfully claimed a world cup. Now we have to overcome the problems of a joint bid. In all areas, a solo bid would be either similar or better... Again, no offence to our Belgian friends and future co-hosts.

Ok, I'll try to quit whining over a solo bid once and for al, but when I look at all these recent events... The KNVB and our government need to be over this...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #137
TC03

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:

www.goal2018.org/
Click here
- Heavily densed, compared to other countries maybe, but it doesn't mean that there isn't enough space to build a new stadium. It's not like we have Tokyo/HK-densities all over the country. Building new stadiums is easily possible, but most of the stadiums will get the required capacity by expanding, so you are right on that one.

Second, I don't know where you got that "50-75,000", but The Netherlands and Belgium have got more than enough areas/cities with a LOT more people than 75,000. For instance, Amsterdam (740,000, metro 1,2 million), Rotterdam (580,000, metro 1,3 million), Brussels (1 million, metro unsure), to name a few.

Third, it's not that we are just building stadiums for the WC, most stadiums will be used by their clubs too, without being half-empty.
TC03 no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM   #138
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Third, it's not that we are just building stadiums for the WC, most stadiums will be used by their clubs too, without being half-empty.
I think the stadiums which would be extended would atleast be 75/80 % full after a WC. Also when their wonīt be doing that well for a season or what.
The big question is will after or before this tournemant be a combined competition. You know what I am talking about. The Beneliga!
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM   #139
Thermo

Likes (Received): 4155

When I read all this, I really want Holland to go for it alone. Jeez.
Thermo no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2007, 10:26 PM   #140
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkie456 View Post
The dutch are not well
I feel very well, thank you! My GP told me I'm healthy!
eusebius no está en línea  

Closed Thread