daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #161
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana View Post
If one of those teams can only average 2500 people per game it shouldn't even exist though.
Why not? they are there, fair and square.
I am not going to discuss the fact that PSV is the best team of the last 10-15 years of the Netherlands, simply because their can´t be a discussion about it.
But as a city Rotterdam has been capital for football from the past untill now.

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #162
mavn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Why not? they are there, fair and square.
I am not going to discuss the fact that PSV is the best team of the last 10-15 years of the Netherlands, simply because their can´t be a discussion about it.
But as a city Rotterdam has been capital for football from the past untill now.
Excuse me..., 10 to 15 years ago Ajax was ruling the world. let alone the Netherlands...

Before that period and since the millennium change PSV clearly has been the most successful team tough.

We don't have a football capitol. Rotterdam has 3 teams but one of those is only staying alive due to TV money brought in by others and their biggest team has lost (on average) a lot of ground on both Ajax and PSV in the last decades. Amsterdam has only one team, but that team has historically by far been the most successful both nationally and internationally. Eindhoven is big since PSV is, togheter with Ajax, the most successful in the last 20 to 30 years.

If we would have a football capitol I think it would be Zeist... Home of the KNVB. (our national FA)
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM   #163
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavn View Post
Excuse me..., 10 to 15 years ago Ajax was ruling the world. let alone the Netherlands...

Before that period and since the millennium change PSV clearly has been the most successful team tough.

We don't have a football capitol. Rotterdam has 3 teams but one of those is only staying alive due to TV money brought in by others and their biggest team has lost (on average) a lot of ground on both Ajax and PSV in the last decades. Amsterdam has only one team, but that team has historically by far been the most successful both nationally and internationally. Eindhoven is big since PSV is, togheter with Ajax, the most successful in the last 20 to 30 years.

If we would have a football capitol I think it would be Zeist... Home of the KNVB. (our national FA)

Okay, Zeist it is... Perfect place for a 100 K national stadium in the centre of the country.
Old November 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #164
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

That will never happen, the Football Association chose for Zeist because of the calm and quiet of Zeist. Zeist is of strategic importance as well; the Lockerbie Trial took place at Zeist.
eusebius no está en línea  
Old November 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #165
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
That will never happen, the Football Association chose for Zeist because of the calm and quiet of Zeist. Zeist is of strategic importance as well; the Lockerbie Trial took place at Zeist.
It would kill all the Amsterdam vs Rotterdam discussions which would almost make it worth it...
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #166
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 173

An interesting article appeared on the Belgian football news website voetbalkrant.com. I'll try to make a quick translation.

Courtois: "France and Spain support World Cup in Benelux"

France and Spain will support the Belgian-Dutch plans to organize the World Cup in 2018, project leader Alain Courtois said to the newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws". Courtois was in South Africa last weekend to attend the World Cup draw and to make connections with 2018 in mind.

source: voetbalkrant.com

"And we succeeded in that, we made good contacts", says Courtois. "Countries like Spain and France have agreed to support our candidature. It looks like it will be a competition between England and us. In any case it is clear that we are considered a worthy candidate by everyone over here. On December 20th we'll launch the Dutch-Belgian candidature at the Egmont Palace (reception building of the ministry of foreign affairs) in the presence of Guy Verhofstadt (the resigning prime minister).
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #167
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
France and Spain will support the Belgian-Dutch plans to organize the World Cup in 2018, project leader Alain Courtois said to the newspaper "Het Laatste Nieuws". Courtois was in South Africa last weekend to attend the World Cup draw and to make connections with 2018 in mind.
I don't agree with this point of view:
- Spain won't support any bid because Spain want to host WC2018
- France will probabilly support England, like the other European countries will do. Europe can't let the WC2018 going to Oceania, North America or Asia: Europe should be united behind the best European bid....and it's England even Bekenbauer, Zoff and Platini, who are not English fans, admited that).
Courtois is using the Couë method but it will not works.

A Benelux bid would be unfair because:
- Europe got only 13 qualified teams for 53 countries (when South America got 4 or even 5 for only 10 countries...),
- Belgium, Netherland and Luxemburg (lol) will be qualified without playing,
--> Europe's ratio would be 10 / 50: it's almost the same than Asia or Africa.

So, let's support WORLD CUP: ENGLAND 2018
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #168
Mr D
tiptoe

Luxemburg is not automatically qualified in case Benelux get to host the WC, only Belgium and the Netherlands.
Mr D no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #169
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
I don't agree with this point of view:
- Spain won't support any bid because Spain want to host WC2018
- France will probabilly support England, like the other European countries will do. Europe can't let the WC2018 going to Oceania, North America or Asia: Europe should be united behind the best European bid....and it's England even Bekenbauer, Zoff and Platini, who are not English fans, admited that).
Courtois is using the Couë method but it will not works.

A Benelux bid would be unfair because:
- Europe got only 13 qualified teams for 53 countries (when South America got 4 or even 5 for only 10 countries...),
- Belgium, Netherland and Luxemburg (lol) will be qualified without playing,
--> Europe's ratio would be 10 / 50: it's almost the same than Asia or Africa.

So, let's support WORLD CUP: ENGLAND 2018
Make sure your facts are right next time. Luxemburg won't qualify automatically in case of a Benelux 2018 world cup, they obviously dont have any business playing there! Netherlands are likely to be one of the 13 qualifying countries anyways, and who knows Belgium might be back at a decent level by 2018. So stating that a Benelux bid would be unfair is rubbish. As far as I remember, England didn't even qualify for euro 2008, and the Netherlands did.

Moreover, how can you be so sure that the England bid will be the best??? As far as I know, nothing more than rumours and speculations are known regarding the European bids. I say let's wait and see what the different bids have to offer, and then we'll see who has the best bid.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #170
djwizard84

Likes (Received): 3

i don't support a WC in europe because it's not healthy for the system...

by the way, since always europe has a WC each 8 years, now thanks to South Africa & Brasil we will not flight there maybe till 2018, but personally i don't want to...

i prefere China, Australia or Canada.
new countries, fresh places to visit, to support & to encourage!!!
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #171
RobH

Likes (Received): 10337

Every third world cup in Europe is the best compromise at the moment.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #172
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwizard84 View Post
i don't support a WC in europe because it's not healthy for the system...

by the way, since always europe has a WC each 8 years, now thanks to South Africa & Brasil we will not flight there maybe till 2018, but personally i don't want to...

i prefere China, Australia or Canada.
new countries, fresh places to visit, to support & to encourage!!!
Canada won't be able to host the world cup for ages, they haven't got enough stadiums by far. I agree that giving every third WC to Europe is a good compromise.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #173
djwizard84

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Every third world cup in Europe is the best compromise at the moment.
you're right... but it should be a new country, why?

because that's the main goal of FIFA, isn't it???
to promote & to encourage new economies around the world.

my bid goes for BENELUX
... if it stay in europe, ok.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #174
eusebius
BANNED

BeNe and not Lux put up this bid. No use in mentioning Lux.

As for the stadiums; bear in mind that the ArenA and Gelredôme are similar. The solution to expand either one will apply to both rather easily I'd reckon.
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #175
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
BeNe and not Lux put up this bid. No use in mentioning Lux.

As for the stadiums; bear in mind that the ArenA and Gelredôme are similar. The solution to expand either one will apply to both rather easily I'd reckon.
To my eyes those two stadiums look rather different, the only thing they have in common is a roof that can be closed. I haven't heard of any plans of expanding the Gelredome, and I think it's quite unnecessary, Vitesse won't fill more seats than it does at the moment.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #176
mavn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
To my eyes those two stadiums look rather different, the only thing they have in common is a roof that can be closed. I haven't heard of any plans of expanding the Gelredome, and I think it's quite unnecessary, Vitesse won't fill more seats than it does at the moment.
Vitesse doesn't want to expand. They're glad if the can get the rent paid in time.

Arnhem and Gelredome do want to expand. The majority of revenue for the stadium isn't coming from Vitesse. It's coming from Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, Marco Borsato and Tiesto. More seats will mean more revenue.

Arnhem wants to be hostcity for 2018 (dutch)
mavn no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #177
eusebius
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
To my eyes those two stadiums look rather different, the only thing they have in common is a roof that can be closed.
And that was my point.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #178
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

to promote & to encourage new economies around the world.

There was I thinking FIFA's main goal was football based.

I'd hardly call the Dutch, the oldest capitalist country in the world, a new economy. I wouldn't call Belguim, the second oldest industrialised nation, particularly new either.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #179
Rotterdam A

Likes (Received): 93

Rotterdam is going to build a stadium with a capacity of 100.000 seats. The cost will be at €800 million.

It's going to be build next to the present Feyenoord stadium(capacity 51.177).

Rotterdam A no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #180
LandOfGreenGinger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotterdam A View Post
Rotterdam is going to build a stadium with a capacity of 100.000 seats. The cost will be at €800 million.

It's going to be build next to the present Feyenoord stadium(capacity 51.177).
Still curious where on earth the money is going to come from. Do the Rotterdam city council really have 800 millions euros to spend on a new ground for feyenoord? I guess some will come from private funding but still .... what about the rest? I'd honestly like to see it but I remain cautious about this project.
LandOfGreenGinger no está en línea  

Closed Thread