daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #221
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
140 km/h average speed? I don't believe.
I doubt I can do Toronto to Montreal at the average speed of 140km/h and not to get at least two speeding tickets. Also from AB to QC, he did not disclose the stops for some gas and wc. lol.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:14 PM   #222
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

In one go, my longest was Pisa(Italy) - Budapest(Hungary) 1150 km

in about 13-14 hours, no rush
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #223
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
What is the best Burger-restaurant with the tastiest Burgers for less $$
BurgerKing, McD or Jack-In theBox ?
Like I said, In 'n' Out Burger is the best, but as far as I know their franchises are limited to the westcoast (Got something to do with the fact that they don't freeze the meat, afaik). Another important difference (at least to me) is the minimum wage of their employees, starting at $ 10/h, which is more than fair.

When it comes down to your list, I'd say BK. Still crap, but better than McD and Crap in the box.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM   #224
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Mine isn't altogether that far: from Middelburg, NL to Derby, EN (607km).
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #225
lazza

Likes (Received): 0

Non-stop without a break, it's probably Newcastle-upon-Tyne to Portsmouth, which is about 350 miles (550km).

In a single day, but with break, was Zeebrugge in Belgium to Kufstein in Austria, which I think was about 600 miles (1000km), through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and into Austria. Done as roughly 3 x 200 miles in 11 hours with breaks for lunch and dinner

Longest overall route (not including circular drives over a couple of weeks when on holiday) was Bilbao in northern Spain to near Antwerp in Belgium, which is about 800 miles (1300km) and took a day and a half.
lazza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #226
Japinta9

Likes (Received): 0

Sopot (PL) - Suwalki (PL) - Jastrzebie-Zdroj (PL) - Suwalki (PL)

~1670km and only 50% on 2x2 roads

Japinta9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #227
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

0.5 km . That's the longest distance I have driven.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #228
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
no driver's license ?
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #229
Jbte

Likes (Received): 865

Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico, to San Francisco CA, USA
4,000 kms (2,500 miles), 5 essential stops, in 5 days

Puerto Escondido - Acapulco highway, one way highway, very long, bumpy and lots of curves, you see lots of poverty very similar to Africa... but great tropical scenery, avarege speed 65 km/h (40 mph)

Acapulco - Zacatecas, all 2-4 lanes highway (mostly tolled), lots of sceneries, from tropical, pine forests, farmlands, mountains and desert, average speed of 120 km/h (75 mph)

Zacatecas - El Paso (Juarez), all 2-4 lanes highway (mostly tolled), great landscape, farms and lots of desert places, average speed 140 km/h (85 mph), then the border crossing takes about 2 hours if youre lucky with permits and so...

El Paso - Los Angeles, really nice highway (over Interstate 10), no tolls and lots of desert sceneries, average speed limit is 65 mph (104 km/h), Los Angeles traffic is terrific...

Los Angeles - San Francisco, again a nice highway (interstate 5) that goes over lots of mountains, plain valleys, farmlands and much to see...
Jbte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #230
CNGL
Leudimin

Quote:
no driver's license ?
Still no. Hopefully I will get the license next summer.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #231
Shifty2k5

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
1076km: If you drove the same distance + another 170km, but in the other direction, to the south, taking the ferry to Helsingör. You would have reached Paris ,distance from Helsingör:1243km. Seems to be a lot more interesting goal than Örnsköldsvik.

But by doing so you would probably have spent some extra hours in the german "staus" auf der Autobahn+having some troubles with overheating engine.

I plan to go south by car this summer, it will be an adventure. I have some worries about my car, is it wise to travel long distance with an old -00 Opel Omega. It will certainly overheat if I get stuck in one of those nightmare Autobahn MegaStaus.
Trust me, I would much rather drive thru Sweden again than drive across Europe.
Shifty2k5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #232
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Was that half a km on a public road?

Quote:
Still no. Hopefully I will get the license next summer.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #233
CNGL
Leudimin

Yup. But it is hidden on a industrial estate here in Huesca.
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #234
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

My longest drive ? Hard to say. I've done that a couple of times. I wasn't a very responsible driver at the time. But I had to do it for work:
- Paris region - Lille (F) - Ghent – Antwerp (B) - Eindhoven – Venlo (NL) - Duisburg - Bielefeld - Hannover - Berlin - Frankfurt (Oder) (D) - Poznań - Konin - Sochaczew - Warsaw (with a 1h30 stop to take a nap just after Konin, because the A2 motorway ended there at the time) - about 1630 km
- The same road, but back without stopping even for a nap (twice)

- Paris region – Valenciennes (F) – Mons – Charleroi – Ličge (B) – Aachen – Cologne – Siegen – Dresden – Bautzen/Budyšin – Görlitz (D) - Zgorzelec – Legnica – Wrocław (with a 1 hour stop at a friend’s … just to drink some coffee and talk !) – Wieluń – Piotrków Trybunalski – Warsaw (PL) – I remember how my driving scared me when I got into the Piotrków Trybunalski-Warsaw dual carriageway. I was driving fast behind an Iveco … 2 meters behind ! I slept 14 hours after that trip … About 1710 km without stopping for a sleep.

- This one wasn't by car alone but taking a couple of cars from France to sell them in Poland (and following 2): Paris region – Vitry-le-François-Nancy-Saint-Avold-Forbach (F), Saarbrücken, Heilbronn, Nürnberg, Amberg (D), Plzeň, Prague, Hradec Králové, Náchod (CZ) – Kudowa-Zdrój – Kłodzko – Opole – Lubliniec – Częstochowa – Radom – Puławy (PL). Next, I was brought to Warsaw by car by someone else. The only stops were: 3h of sleep between 3AM and 6 AM near Nancy, and a 1 hour nap at the end of Prague (first gas station after the first direction to Wrocław). This was one of the most horrible journeys I’ve ever had. About 1830 km with a total of 4 hour sleep

In all the cases above, I started the journeys by night (except one trip from Warsaw to my hometown, where I started at 8AM and finished at 3 AM)Four trips that were much shorter but also very hard were these:
- Warsaw – Ostrów Mazowiecka – Łomża – Grajewo – Augustów – Ogrodniki (PL) – Lazdijai (with a stop to ... pay a fine for speeding) – Marijampolė – Kaunas – Panevėžys – Saločiai (LT) Grenctāle (now it’s called Grenstāle) – Bauska – Rīga – Saulkrasti (just half an hour for a hot summer bath) – Ainaži (LV) - Ikla – Pärnu – Tallinn (EST). When I arrived at the sadam (port) to buy tickets for Finland for the next day, the saleswoman got afraid of me (my eyes were red as if I smoked 20 pots …) This was about 980 km without stopping to sleep, starting around 9 PM and ending about 4 PM Baltic time ...

- Paris region – Orléans – Vierzon – Limoges – Périgueux – Bordeaux – Dax – Orthez – Oloron-Sainte-Marie …Around 950km mostly by roads (bypassing toll motorways) ! But the Limoges-Périgueux road was a big mistake …

- Mont-de-Marsan-Lourdes (with a 1h00 stop to visit) – Tarbes – Auch – Montauban – Limoges – Paris region. Around 960 km. I remember I got caught for speeding near Barcelonne-sur-l’Adour and how horrible it was after 3 hours for only 138 km to see, in Montauban, “Paris 596 km” ! 600 km in France is not 600 km in Germany …

- Oloron-Sainte-Marie (F) - Jaca - Sabińánigo - Huesca (were I had to leave my car because the gearbox broke down - I got it replaced thanks to my insurance assistance) - Zaragoza - Alcalá de Henares - Madrid - Soto del Real (E) - around 580 km but with a lot of curvy roads from Oloron to Huesca, and next between Zaragoza and Madrid ... My aim was to go to Lisbon. But as I had the assistance car for only 4 days it would've been too risky !

Last time I did this kind of trip without stopping even for a nap was in 2006. Now I always stop for a night at a friend's or in a hotel ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM   #235
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

I beat my record for longest distance driven yesterday: Bologna-Piacenza-Brescia-Peschiera del Garda-Affi-Rovereto-Munich.

680 km with two very short stops, one for dropping my girlfriend in her new house in Brescia, the other one to pick up a friend in Rovereto who was coming with me to Munich.

Last edited by g.spinoza; March 1st, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #236
Astenaar

Likes (Received): 318

Baldivis (Perth) to Adelaide, via Kalgoorlie, Port Lincoln, Wh***** and Port Augusta, in three days, 3.070 km.
Astenaar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:23 AM   #237
Bulbous

Likes (Received): 153

My work used to be driving road trains from Perth, Western Australia, to the Burrup Peninsula, Western Australia...... 1540km (17.5 hours) each way, with two trailers, or one oversize load (portable huts)....... I would usually get six hours sleep in the return trip, and two hours to unload, so the round trip would be about 43 hours.....
Bulbous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #238
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

Without any stop, it was 350km from Fraiture (BE) to Paris. It's already dangerous to drive 4 hours without stopping. As if it wasn't enough it was in the middle of the night and after having driven 1060 km all by myself in the day. I was nearly sleeping behind my wheel while arriving in Paris. Quite silly really.
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #239
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 129

the farthest in one trip non stop is from Columbus, Ohio to Miami, Florida. 18 hours 1162 miles or 1870 km. I went right to sleep when I arrived and remember still seeing the white dash lines from the interstate when i closed my eyes. Two days ago I moved from Columbus, Ohio to Kansas City, Missouri only a 10 hour drive at 667 miles or 1073 kilometers it really isn't that bad of a drive. I do drives of 600 miles to other parts of the country quite often to visit family/friends. Only when I want to travel to the western US do I fly. It takes almost 3 days of driving from Ohio to get to California.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #240
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Some typical trips doing my job:

Saturday PM load Huddersfield, UK
Monday AM deliver Sodertalje (near Stockholm)
Tuesday AM Load Magdenburg, Germany
Wednesday AM deliver Valencia, Spain

or

Saturday PM load Northampton, UK
Monday AM deliver Naples, Italy
Wednesday AM Load Northampton, UK
Friday AM deliver Naples, UK

or

Thursday AM load Birmingham, UK
Saturday AM deliver Gibraltar
Monday AM Load Tiel, Netherlands
Tuesday AM deliver London, UK

UK ---> Vilnius, LT approx 2 days
UK ---> Helsinki, Finland 2 days via Stockholm ferry

UK load Tuesday AM, deliver Cluj, Romania Thursday PM, Mayrhofen for the weekend arriving Friday AM, set off again Sunday for Monday AM pick-up in Tours, France - deliver Monday in the night in Burnley, UK.

London-Stockholm-Copenhagen-London-Barcelona in 4 days...

London-Athens via Ancona-Patras ferry roughly 2.5 days...

London-Mo-i-Rana via Holland in 3 days. Took me 2 days to get back to Holland... Driven just south of Trondheim to Sneek, NL in 1 day via Oslo, Gothenburg, Helsinborg, Copenhagen, Putgarden, Bremen.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote