daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:06 AM   #341
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

2456km, Toronto to Sanibel Island, Florida. Done it a few times now, or at least the drive to Florida. Its around 23 hours to Sanibel.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2015, 12:02 AM   #342
nick.english.dept

Likes (Received): 1680

I drove from Vancouver to Calgary to Edmonton to Saskatoon to Winnipeg to Minneapolis to Milwaukee to Chicago to Detroit to Buffalo/Niagara Falls to Toronto to Ottawa to Montreal to Burlington to Boston to Providence to New York City to Philadelphia/Atlantic City to Baltimore to Washington to Cincinnati to Cleveland to Indianapolis back to Chicago to Madison to the Twin Cities thru the Mt. Rushmore area into Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Spokane and ended in Seattle. That was one trip.
I've done other trips that were similar though I did use different interstates where I could so as to see new places. I've done similar trips in other parts of Canada and the US but they seem to have been shorter: eg. Vancouver/Seattle to NYC to Miami and back. These bring back so many memories of the driving trips we used to take throughout America. I'm in Europe now and even though we do quite a bit of traveling it just doesn't seem to be quite the same. The American Road is unique. And the best traveling that you can do is by keeping off the interstates and taking US Highway Routes, State Routes and better yet in many areas it was going from town to town on county roads. Interstates are great for traveling but the "rural or older" highway routes allow you to experience and to see so much more.

mrsmartman liked this post
nick.english.dept no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 11:07 AM   #343
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Since my last post I've done a 620 km trip to the forests of Northwestern Soria province, all driven by me. However it was split in two days (270 km the first day and 330 the second), so the 400 km drive I did back in December remains as the most I've done in a day. Incidentally, the later route (200 km one way) is included in the second day of my latest trip as I joined A-2 West of Ariza.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #344
Ale92Milano_SpA
BANNED

Likes (Received): 224

Milan (Italy) - Sevilla (Spain), more than 2.000 km i drove alone.
Ale92Milano_SpA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #345
1ajs

Likes (Received): 730

winnipeg to consio belize and back done roads trips to mexico 4 times in my life?
1ajs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #346
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Wow you guys must have lots of stamina and endurance to do these long drives.

I couldn't bare driving such long distances:
-Singapore<=>Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
-USA = Smyrna Tennessee <=> Canton Mississippi
-USA = South California <=> Nevada
-Germany = Stuttgart <=> Leipzig

In short, I can't drive for more than an hour
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #347
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

wow, I do 6 h drive Toronto-Montreal all the time, I can do it asleep by now

I just did xx hour Montreal -> Red Deer approx 3800 km and back

Smryna and Canton is an interesting choice of places, smells like Nissan
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I just did xx hour Montreal -> Red Deer approx 3800 km and back
That's a lot of nothing on the prairies and through Northern Ontario. It gives a good impression of how big Canada actually is.

I don't drive very long distances in one day. I try to keep it at 10 hours max, but if my destination is 11 or 12 hours away I won't stop short of the finish line

In early June I drove 6600 kilometers in 10 days from the Netherlands to the southern tip of Spain and back. That was my longest single trip (though I did not drive more than 950 km on one day).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #349
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's a lot of nothing on the prairies and through Northern Ontario. It gives a good impression of how big Canada actually is.
The screwy part is Ontario... leaving Montreal you are in Ontario within 20 minutes. But then the next two days or so you will be in Ontario trying to cover that 2200 km or so of Ontario you have on the winding road through only rocks, small trees and lakes. Maximum 90 and OPP everywhere. I pulled out to pass a couple of slow cars in a light rain and had to accelerate hard as there was an oncoming car, when I get back into my lane I noticed it was OPP and saw 130 ish on my clock but at least he did not bother me

It is so annoying as it is such a beautiful area to have a cottage or something, and cheap, but who can spend 15 or 20 hours driving to get there from anywhere you might actually live

I left Calgary on the "theoretical new Trans-Canada Hwy" along Stoney Trail / Hwy 22X / Hwy 901 to Gleichen, the traffic falls close to nothing after around Hwy 24 and the road is a nice alternative to Hwy 1 west of Calgary.

Last edited by Kanadzie; July 25th, 2015 at 09:29 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #350
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

It's amazing when you notice that the distance from Toronto to Florida is actually shorter than to Manitoba

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #351
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
In short, I can't drive for more than an hour
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 11:56 AM   #352
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandazie
Smryna and Canton is an interesting choice of places, smells like Nissan
Yeah it is. I was thinking that I could check out Murano production within the same week..........but the drive of 3-5 hours would be too much for me to handle.

Hence, I would personally split these into separate months (one month for Maxima; next month for Nissan Murano)

In any case, I've been thinking about the distances for visits to car manufacturing facilities. For instance:
-visits within Michigan USA are fine by me and they won't require me to travel far.
-Sticking within Southern Germany is acceptable to me (Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart, Hockenheim race track, etc.)

But Brampton to Windsor? I'd have to think about it very well (even if they are within Ontario territory.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yeah I personally couldn't do straight drives of more than an hour.

If ever I had to, I would have to arm myself with stuff like:
-Red Bull or Energy Drinks
-Sweets and sugar snack stuff
-Softdrinks/Soda
-Music has to be what I like

And stuff like that..........because I tend to get restless easily or rather I tend to get easily bored over a monotonous activity.

Verso liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #353
Kanadzie

Brampton to Windsor is a pretty short drive all on freeway, maybe the Toronto traffic on the 401 would be more annoying, LOL
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #354
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

I remember doing the following route during the winter 98/99 when I was employed as a driver in an urgent transport company.
Starting in Bayonne, loading in Hendaye at the end of the afternoon, two deliveries in Perigueux (00h00)and Lyon (07h 00).
This way by the national road between Bordeaux and Clermont-Ferrand, the toll higway didn't exist between Perigueux and Clermont-Fd at this time).
After steering Italy in Lonigo (Venetia) for a loading during the afternoon and delivery in Hagetmau (near home) the next moring at 7.00 am with a return in Bayonne.
Two complete nights without sleeping (nap during 1 hour in Lonigo) with around 2850 kms in less than 40 hours.
A crazy trip for my boss I couldn't do today and I strongly discourages.
I sleplt more than 14 hours after that !
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:31 PM   #355
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

My record: In 2003 I made it from Frazee, MN to the Tiger Mountain parking lot, WA. The destination for that day was Olympia, but around Snoqualmie Pass the fatigue got me and I felt insufficiently rested to make it through the I-5 corridor during the evening rush without jacking up my insurance rates. This was around 2 350 kilometres in 21 hours. The planned distance was around 2 450 kilometres and should've ideally be done in two days, with a stop somewhere in Montana. I just thought in my youthful recklessness that it would've been nicer to cross the plains at night and that during day time, it would be much nicer to drive through the mountains.

The longest single-day drive I've done this year was from Nowy Targ to Bad Bentheim through Nijmegen to pick up some friends. Left Nowy Targ around 08:00, made a quick stop before the border to fill up on diesel, arrived to Nijmegen just before 16:00, picked up my friends, had a beer in De Bijstand, and carried on to Bad Bentheim where we arrived just before 19:00, where the proper partying that would put us all well over the legal limit began. Partied for two days, slept off the hangover and back to Nowy Targ with a quick stop in Wernigerode for food. (our friends from Nijmegen would stay a day longer in Bad Bentheim)

Way in was 1 431 kilometres, way back 1 185 kilometres.
Proterra está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:29 PM   #356
Kanadzie

the small distances and pretty good roads in Europe always impress me. From PL to NL to me sounds like going on the opposite side of the world but an 8 hour drive is nothing...
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:26 PM   #357
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
the small distances and pretty good roads in Europe always impress me. From PL to NL to me sounds like going on the opposite side of the world but an 8 hour drive is nothing...
Well, assume you start in Toronto and head west, it's like driving to some place 100 kilometres before Thunder Bay. Nipigon or some place around there... You barely made it halfway across the province. Add to that that speed limits in PL are relatively high, and enforcement relatively lenient - I always cruise 160-180 on the Polish motorway, never had any trouble with the police - and you can easily make Germany in 3,5 hours from Nowy Targ. In Germany, some stretches are 130-140, but you can make that up from just past Dresden to almost Dortmund where it's perfectly fine to drive 180-200 all the way through, except for a small bit around Kassel.

On Canadian roads you would be lucky to average 90-100 over long distances, in Poland and Germany if you stick to the motorways and don't spend too much time stopping, you can average 140-150 without much hassle.

Blackraven liked this post

Last edited by Proterra; July 31st, 2015 at 06:33 PM.
Proterra está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote