daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM   #81
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Actually, I also travelled a long time ago with one of those tourist buses with my family, we left at 17:00 from Timisoara and we arrived at approximately the same hour the following day in Verona (one of those exhausting tours-de-force throughout southern Europe).
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM   #82
[email protected]
aberdonian

longest journey

This took me 2 weeks but driving every day.( september 2006 )
Calgary-Banff-Jasper-Prince George-Prince Rupert-Stewart/Hyder-Watson Lake-Whitehorse-Watson Lake-Fort Nelson-Dawson Creek-Grande Prairie-Edmonton-Rocky Mountain House-Golden-Cranbrook-Fort Mcleod-Calgary.
7600 kilometers.
Near Fort Nelson I was tempted to take the road to Yellowknife but resisted !
Main purpose was to drive the Cassiar Highway in BC and the southern section of the Alaska Highway. I had already covered the northern section ( Whitehorse-Fairbanks in 1999 )
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:09 AM   #83
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

I drove from Hamilton, ON to Fredericton, NB and back in the span of a weekend, we left thursday at 4:30pm edt and got there at 6:00am adt friday and left on sunday at 8:00am adt and got back at 9:30pm edt it was a total of 3000km
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:16 AM   #84
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKECane View Post
his car wasn't in the best shape, and we needed to let it cool off (we were without a/c for the rest of our trip in the middle of August...ugh).
Me and my friend had the same thing happen, thank god it was for only an hour and a bit for the drive from London, ON to Hamilton, ON but his temperature gauge in the car was broken so we had to drive with the heater on full blast in 35C weather. It was terrible, and we couldnt drive any faster than 115 or the car was going to blow up.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:20 AM   #85
[email protected]
aberdonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolo View Post
I drove from Hamilton, ON to Fredericton, NB and back in the span of a weekend, we left thursday at 4:30pm edt and got there at 6:00am adt friday and left on sunday at 8:00am adt and got back at 9:30pm edt it was a total of 3000km
How did you go? NY thruway I 90 to I 495 to I 95 to Bangor then Rt 9 to Calais/ St Stephens Then 7 to Fredericton or did you stay in Canada. Montreal-Quebec-Riviere du Loup-Edmundston- Fredericton ?
crieffite@comcast.ne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM   #86
Bartolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How did you go? NY thruway I 90 to I 495 to I 95 to Bangor then Rt 9 to Calais/ St Stephens Then 7 to Fredericton or did you stay in Canada. Montreal-Quebec-Riviere du Loup-Edmundston- Fredericton ?
Stay in Canada its faster that way, with a lot of the Trans-Canada being 4 lanes through New Brunswick now. There are still 2 lane sections, but those are still quite high speed most 90-100 posted, while actually doing 120. Also if you go through the states take I-95 to the border which turns into NB95 to TCH2 and its about 40 mins to Fredericton.
Crossing the border takes anywhere from 15 mins to a couple hours
Old March 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #87
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The longest distance I've driven on one day by car (parents drove, can't drive myself) was from Abcoude, NL to Bad Tölz, DE. It is certainly the longest time in the car for me. It took us 13 hours to drive these 876 km. Thanks to some drunken lorrydriver who crashed at a Baustelle on the BAB 3. We stood still for about 3,5 hours.
The longest distance by bus is from Breukelen, NL to Hirsthals, DK or from Breukelen, NL to Praha, CZ. Both are app. 1000 km
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM   #88
LT1550

Within one day:

Near Trondheim, Norway to Mandal, Norway (830 km, together with my father, about 60/40 %)
remember there are nearly no motorways.

Alone within one day with just a few stops:

Not more than 400-450 kms I think.
The longest would possibly be Jokkmokk, Sweden to Kautokeino, Norway (442 km)
No motorway, just two-lane roads with two-way-traffic.
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #89
Ron2K

Likes (Received): 17

Longest I've ever driven without changing drivers:

I had to drive to Johannesburg once - from where I was starting to where I was going was around 580km; however, I got to the top of Van Reenen's Pass and found that a tanker accident had happened 5 minutes previously and that the road was closed. I had to turn back, go back down the pass, then turn onto the N11 at Ladysmith, drive through Newcastle and Volksrust, and then onto the R23 taking me through Standerton and finally back onto the N3 (the original route) at Heidelburg. It turned out to be an extra 160km, turning it into 740km total.

This map shows you the route I took (in blue) and the route that I was intending to take (in red).

Then, with driver changes, the longest in one day would be between Durban and Port Elizabeth; roughly 950km. I usually do this as part of the Durban to Cape Town route via the N2, mentioned below.

The longest multi-day trip that I've done would be Durban to Cape Town, which is around 1700km or so. If you're taking the inland route (N3-N5-N1), it can be done non-stop in around 24 hours if you have enough drivers and coffee, but I prefer to overnight somewhere and break the journey into two days. Trying the coastal route (N2) at night is suicidal, as the chance of hitting livestock in the undeveloped Transkei area is very high.
Ron2K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM   #90
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Within one day:

Łódź - Muenchen passing by Berlin

1030 km, including ca. 930 km on highways

The journey took me around 7 - 7,5 h without changing drivers and with only one 15 min stopover But I was speeding like hell in Poland 140 in Germany 170-210

Last edited by PLH; March 23rd, 2008 at 04:34 PM.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM   #91
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1550 View Post
Within one day:

Near Trondheim, Norway to Mandal, Norway (830 km, together with my father, about 60/40 %)
remember there are nearly no motorways.
How much time did this take you?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #92
LT1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
How much time did this take you?
I don't remember exactly but we started in the morning, around 8 am and arrived around 6 pm. At least 10 hours, I think.
LT1550 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #93
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron2K View Post
Longest I've ever driven without changing drivers:

I had to drive to Johannesburg once - from where I was starting to where I was going was around 580km; however, I got to the top of Van Reenen's Pass and found that a tanker accident had happened 5 minutes previously and that the road was closed. I had to turn back, go back down the pass, then turn onto the N11 at Ladysmith, drive through Newcastle and Volksrust, and then onto the R23 taking me through Standerton and finally back onto the N3 (the original route) at Heidelburg. It turned out to be an extra 160km, turning it into 740km total.

This map shows you the route I took (in blue) and the route that I was intending to take (in red).

Then, with driver changes, the longest in one day would be between Durban and Port Elizabeth; roughly 950km. I usually do this as part of the Durban to Cape Town route via the N2, mentioned below.

The longest multi-day trip that I've done would be Durban to Cape Town, which is around 1700km or so. If you're taking the inland route (N3-N5-N1), it can be done non-stop in around 24 hours if you have enough drivers and coffee, but I prefer to overnight somewhere and break the journey into two days. Trying the coastal route (N2) at night is suicidal, as the chance of hitting livestock in the undeveloped Transkei area is very high.

Very nice routes in South Africa. I drove Cape Town - Plettenberg Bay - Cape Town - Clanwilliam - Cape Town back in 2006.
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #94
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

My longest trip was from Lloret de Mar (Spain) to Ljubljana (Slovenia) - 1,400 km (870 mi) by bus, including visiting Nice, Cannes, Monaco and Verona. I once made an around 1,550-km trip around Italy though.

My longest me-being-the-driver trip and an otherwise frequent trip is Ljubljana to Berne (Switzerland) - 850 km (530 mi). Lately I tend to avoid tolls by Milan by using a local expressway. Pretty bad-ass shape of the route due to Alps (the air distance just 550 km).

Last edited by Verso; March 24th, 2008 at 03:32 AM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #95
Verso
Islander

One day I crossed 13 international borders on a 1,300-km trip. I departed from and returned back to Kranjska Gora, Slovenia (some of you have probably heard of it). The trip went as follows: Slovenia -> Italy -> Austria -> Germany -> Austria -> Liechtenstein -> Switzerland -> Austria -> Germany -> Austria -> Germany -> Austria () -> Italy -> Slovenia. =) The map is not completely accurate, for example Italy is missing, I couldn't add more than five stops.

Old March 24th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #96
Stifler
That's what she said

Likes (Received): 11

In one single day it was 950km between Aviles (Asturias) and Chiclana (Cadiz).

I have done similar routes a lot of times to reach the warmer Atlantic or Mediterranean coasts but most of the times I have done it in 2 days doing tourism and sleeping in some nice towns: Toledo, Segovia, Avila, Soria, Teruel, Salamanca....
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #97
1000city
DISCO VOLANTE

Likes (Received): 4206

Longest trips with a bus: Katowice (Silesia) - London (UK), nearly 1600 kilometers (with broken aircon) , and Katowice - Rimini (Italy), about 1300 kilometers (DAF bus got overheated somewhere in Alps). Unlike most other passengers I really enjoyed those trips

My longest drive was Hannover (Germany) - Katowice, nearly 800 kms in my '98 Daewoo Lanos (no brake down), about 7 hours (mostly highway) with short stop for filling up.

1000city no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #98
Verso
Islander

You guys don't stop at all, or just for a very short time. Are you normal?
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #99
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Probably not, but I do not feel tired when driving
Old March 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #100
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

This is the longest i have driven myself: 1164km from Zwolle to Poitiers via Calais and Rouen.

[IMG]http://i26.************/wph1j.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote