daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area > Skyway Lounge

Skyway Lounge Discussions about the Tampa Bay area community.... news, nightlife, attractions, sports, events, etc.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 225

Tampa/St. Pete Forums Improvement Thread

Hello everyone,

Lately I've been getting messages from several members with questions, comments, and compalints on how the Tampa/St. Pete forum is organized. So instead of getting loads of PMs, and not allowing other members to have a voice on these questions, comments, and compalints so I've decided to make this thread.

So, if you have a something ot say on how these forums are organized plese ask it here and not in an off topic manner via another thread. I've noticed some of that happening too.

Here are some things that I've had questions about:

-Should all museum threads go in the Skyway Cafe?
-What should be done with the Development News Threads, particulary the Tampa one?
-Should stadium development threads go in the main forum or the Skyway Cafe?
-Should TIA threads go in the S.C. of the main forum?

Also, I've noticed many threads have been going in the wrong forum. (or at least what I consider the wrong forum, there seems to be a real blurr in what goes where)

Those are just some of the questions I have received. If you have any, please post them here.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by FloridaFuture; November 15th, 2007 at 10:19 PM.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

The Tampa development list has bene changed to the "Tampa Development Master List" thread. I've closed it for now, but would like to unclose it eventually as long as people don't start discussing projects, and just post info on things that need to be changed or that help out and post info/renderings.

For now, if there are problems with the list itself, or the way I have changed it post it in here.

Edit- The last development news thread can be found here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=450050

Last edited by FloridaFuture; November 15th, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #3
John F

Likes (Received): 46

The Rays stadium thread doesn't belong in the Skyway Lounge. That'd development talk. Yes we've gotten away from the stadium talk specifically and we are rambling about economics but how many other threads have we gotten away from the subject on? Only to get back to it?

The Airport thread meanders around too much away from development. And really there is only so much development going to be tied to TIA.

Of course, I've got problems with all the transit threads getting dumped in the Skyway lounge. Some projects -- development of highways, roads, transit are development projects, no matter what you want to argue -- deserve to be highlighted while others that are just dump threads of wishful-thinking or catch-all projects per county could stay int he skyway.

I know there is a concern about clutter in the main forum and on the skyway lounge but isn't it important to remember that the most active threads or topics can rise to the top while unactive ones will sink off the main page? There was a time we needed a lot of stickied threads and right now -- with things slowing down -- the need isn't there. Sure, there are projects going on, others in limbo, others being newly proposed and debated while others are dead... Yet, honestly, when a WAL MART development thread is the top project being discussed in the main development forum right now, moving threads to this forum really isn't needed. The Skyway lounge should be for off-topic discussion, not a secondary development forum.

John F no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

I want to publicly extend a major THANK YOU to FF for holding it down while I took a much needed vacation of sorts over the past few weeks (I needed to reset after the hellacious summer I had, topped off with losing my job last month. FF handled most things sfaik. Like me, he does this for free, and deserves a round on me (shhh!) whenever we FINALLY arrange a forum meet.

Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Jasonhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I know there is a concern about clutter in the main forum and on the skyway lounge but isn't it important to remember that the most active threads or topics can rise to the top while unactive ones will sink off the main page? There was a time we needed a lot of stickied threads and right now -- with things slowing down -- the need isn't there. Sure, there are projects going on, others in limbo, others being newly proposed and debated while others are dead... Yet, honestly, when a WAL MART development thread is the top project being discussed in the main development forum right now, moving threads to this forum really isn't needed. The Skyway lounge should be for off-topic discussion, not a secondary development forum.
It's not about traffic, it's an intermediate step in a longterm design. The Skyway Cafe was just a placeholder until the traffic counts grew a bit more. A transit forum will be created shortly, as will probably another forum or two not long after that... And one of these daaays, we might, just might, get our own URL and portal... But I'm not the only one who has to sign off on that, because the customized URL would be a first for SSC and requires a 'capitol expenditure'... lol... So, don't hold your breath on that last part, at least not just yet.

And yes, development is slowing... Which is part of why I created the Tampa forum; so that we could diversify our discussions without clogging the whole Florida forum.

Old November 16th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #6
Jasonhouse

Don't open the Tampa list thread please... In fact, all list threads should be closed. The only reason they haven't been closed, is because I haven't been getting things done in a timely manner... We have an entire forum to discuss the projects, and 10 powerful servers to do it on. Get informed, discuss, enjoy!

Old November 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #7
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 671

I think the TIA thread should go to whatever transportation-themed thread is created. I do not believe it should stay in the development forum.

And also. I think the Skyway Lounge (off-topic discussions) should be the forefront of the forum...just like how Miami has its forum.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook

HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #8
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslupecki View Post

And also. I think the Skyway Lounge (off-topic discussions) should be the forefront of the forum...just like how Miami has its forum.
I agree...

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #9
John F

The thing is, if you're interested in off topic conversation "At the forefront" -- shouldn't you be on Tampaforums.com or something? General discussion is king and divided up here into subcategories.

The name of the site is skyscrapercity.com -- it's about development. Off topic in the Tampa forum is just gravy while the development talk is supposed to be at the forefront.

Old November 17th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #10
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

If you look around the NASF section of SSC, there are quite a few forums that are set up similar to Miami's forum.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook

Old November 18th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #11
Jasonhouse

^The front forum in those cases is a catch-all forum. They have no Skybar, thus off topic discussions are kept to a minimum.... in theory.

Many subforums need to be created all over NASF, it seems.

Old November 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #12
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

True...and I assume the mods are more strict about off-topic discussions in those areas?

I saw the mess that had to be cleaned up in the US Urban Issues Forum. I guess people were posting so much junk that you had to step in and put your foot down...then clean things up...

Old November 18th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Jasonhouse

That happens every few months, yeah.

Old November 18th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #14
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

I don't blame you...

I also took a look at the Florida Forum and saw how many Tampa threads there were.

Old November 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #15
John F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^The front forum in those cases is a catch-all forum. They have no Skybar, thus off topic discussions are kept to a minimum.... in theory.

Many subforums need to be created all over NASF, it seems.
Thus why the Off-Topic areas shouldn't be at the forefront (this is more of a reply to Ws, Jason, than you).

I commend you, Jason, for being able to put yoru foot down. I wish I had your resolve (because there are a few mockery forums over at FanHome that I would rather close and implement rules for -- but am stuck with odl time members and moderators who dicate what the rules shoudl be).

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #16
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Don't worry John, I'm not angry or anything. So what if we have differing viewpoints on the matter. It's nothing that I'm going to start an argument over.

Old December 14th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #17
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 413

I was going to say, if Tampa wasn't linked to the Florida and Miami Forums, this is how it should be layed out

Main Forum: Tampa

*Stickies*
-Completed
-U/C
-Approved/Proposed

-----------------------------------
-Threads for each development

Sub-Forum: Skyway Lounge

**Keep the same way as now**

Sub-Forum: The Metro Development

*Stickies*
-Clearwater Thread
-St.Pete Thread
-Brandon Thread
-----------------------------
Everything else: Projects, other cities, etc

Sub-Forum: Transit and Recreational Development

-Tampa International Airport
-All Transit Discussions; Roads, Rail, HART
-Museums; Art, Children's. History

Think that can happen?

TampaMike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #18
Jasonhouse

All development forums are named 'development news', regardless of where they are.

Old December 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #19
AKBTampa

Likes (Received): 6

I like the Tampa/St. Pete forums set-up. I agree that the "Tampa Development Master List" should remain closed to discussion and any updates should be handled by FF or Jason. I am glad to hear there will be a seperate Transit sub-forum. I say keep the museum threads (only Art and History) in the main forum.

Thanks Jason and FF for all your work!!! Cheers

AKBTampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #20
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBTampa View Post
I say keep the museum threads (only Art and History) in the main forum.
Any reason why those two museums and not the Children's Museum too?