daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #741
stefanguti

Likes (Received): 1223

del

Vienna Public Transport Thread

Austrian Subforum

Last edited by stefanguti; May 21st, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
stefanguti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #742
stefanguti

Recent shot of a subway entrance:

Austrian Subforum
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #743
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Horrible, looks like a war zone. They should adopt some emergency painting scheme to cover all that trash in white.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #744
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

This picture is highly misleading. No, not regarding the extend of graffiti, but regarding its quality. On both sides right next to the entrance you have halfway decent or even better graffiti.

There is no graffiti inside the station. Why? Outside along the Danube canal it is legal to spray, inside it is not. And it is great that Vienna legalized spraying along the canal. More about it here:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1023587&page=2

Last edited by Slartibartfas; May 20th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #745
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

Nothing wrong with high quality graffiti (some of the examples in your thread were absolutely incredible), however, that metro entrance looks pretty awful in my opinion. Sorry.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM   #746
stefanguti

Thanks for clearing that up, Slartibartfas.
Indeed, this entrance is not the most beautiful in the viennese subway system.
BUT: it is an artistic exception, because - as Slartibartfas mentioned - the entrance is directly on the Danube canal, where street art and graffiti are legalized.

In the usually very clean and straight subway system of Vienna, i find this little "dirty" exception quite inspiring and funny

Along the canal:

Austrian Subforum
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:32 PM   #747
stefanguti

Current tramway map

Austrian Subforum

Last edited by stefanguti; May 22nd, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM   #748
Slartibartfas

I've seen that entrance many times but I can't say I found it very disturbing at any time. The impression if you see the wider surrounding and not merely the very entrance is quite a different one.

Here are two pictures (slightly older) with a bit of a wider scope. It still does not give a proper idea of the area but at least a better one.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...m/66583515.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dugspr/2878621559/

PS: If every station would look like this I might not like it either. But it is a pleasure to see how many talented sprayer use the Donaukanal as a legal venue. Tourists might be shocked as it does not fit into the proncieved picture of Vienna. But it fits very well to the young summer party scene all along the canal with lots of urban " summer beaches".
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:29 AM   #749
Suburbanist
on the road

Party scenes that require legalized criminal activities are nothing short of organized crime. Be it organized crime of drug trafficking, theft or vandalism.

Even a worn-out grey paint would be better than that crap.

But that is just my opinion. I'm essentially against any trash classified as "urban jungle vibe" in my personal crusade for neatness, sterilization and neutral aspects of public spaces - which include urban transportation.

As subways are, theoretically, open to all citizens of a city, their installations should be as bland, merely functional and deprived of any niche art as possible.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 03:30 AM   #750
WanKenobi

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanguti View Post

nice pics, I love those trams

WanKenobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM   #751
stefanguti

They are circulating pretty much anywhere in the city

Austrian Subforum
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #752
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Party scenes that require legalized criminal activities are nothing short of organized crime. Be it organized crime of drug trafficking, theft or vandalism.
The party scene at the Donaukanal does not depend on graffitis but they fit well into the whole thing.

I am not a fan of ugly tagging but I respect artistic graffiti and the Donaukanal is full with the latter. This is not illegal at all. These are public walls that the municipal government dedicated to urban arts like graffitis.

Just because you dislike urban arts obviously, does not mean others do as well or that they are necessarily crap. To the contrary. I just saw an exhibition about a year ago in Germany where they brought Graffitis into museum and they were more impressive than a large share of the other modern art you usually find in modern galleries.

Quote:
But that is just my opinion. I'm essentially against any trash classified as "urban jungle vibe" in my personal crusade for neatness, sterilization and neutral aspects of public spaces - which include urban transportation.
You want to turn cities into dead, hostile places optimized for moving through and getting away but not for anyone to stay. No thank you. Move to Brazil and leave us alone.

Quote:
As subways are, theoretically, open to all citizens of a city, their installations should be as bland, merely functional and deprived of any niche art as possible.
Art enriches subway stations and thats why it is great that art, can be found in many stations. No, I don't like graffiti inside of stations but you can barely find any of that here anyway.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #753
Stanislav.

Likes (Received): 1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanKenobi View Post
nice pics, I love those trams
Nice trams.
The tram lines are set on low traffic streets, aren't they? Do cars interfere the tram traffic?
Stanislav. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #754
stefanguti

Trams are set both on low traffic and on higher traffic streets. In some cases, cars are interfering a lot and make the trams go slower. This certainly is a big disadvantage compared to the subway.

Austrian Subforum
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #755
Stanislav.

Quote:
Trams are set both on low traffic and on higher traffic streets. In some cases, cars are interfering a lot and make the trams go slower. This certainly is a big disadvantage compared to the subway.
How do the passengers react on this? What do the drivers think about trams?
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #756
stefanguti

Well, I can only speak for myself.
My opinion is, that riding the tram at non-peak-time is quite nice, because it is pretty fast (almost comparable to the subway) and you can reach alsmost any point in the city (the tram network is very dense).
On the other hand, at rush-hour in the morning or the evening, the tram is rather inefficient and moving slowly. It can be very annoying and very often, I would wish to ride the subway because it would be much faster.

Since the tram network has a very long history in Vienna, the drivers are all used to sharing the roads with the trams. But: trams enjoy priority in traffic at any time, which is why they are very respected and of course accepted in the daily traffic.

Austrian Subforum
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #757
Stanislav.

Quote:
On the other hand, at rush-hour in the morning or the evening, the tram is rather inefficient and moving slowly. It can be very annoying and very often, I would wish to ride the subway because it would be much faster.
Traffic jams? What do you think, do many drivers use trams and other public transport for daily trips?

Quote:
Since the tram network has a very long history in Vienna, the drivers are all used to sharing the roads with the trams. But: trams enjoy priority in traffic at any time, which is why they are very respected and of course accepted in the daily traffic.
Have tram lines ever been dismantled to widen street for automobiles?
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #758
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Vienna has one of the best modal splits of Europe, approx. 38% of all transport uses public transport, 36% uses cars, the rest travel by foot or bycicle.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #759
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanislav. View Post
Have tram lines ever been dismantled to widen street for automobiles?
Yes, there are several examples for that. But those that I know included the concurrent construction of a subway line below, replacing the tram and in some cases space for car traffic was increased.

Another example is however Mariahilferstraße where also a tram line was dismantled after the construction of the U3 subway line below that street. The street was not widened for cars however but instead the sidewalks by two road lane equivalents.

Btw, an interesting aspect regarding having such a tight tram network is that cyclists are faced with not only crossing lots of tracks but on many roads they have to drive along them as well. You have to be careful when doing so.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; May 26th, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #760
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Vienna has one of the best modal splits of Europe, approx. 38% of all transport uses public transport, 36% uses cars, the rest travel by foot or bycicle.
Are these statistics based on internationally standardized passenger-km (or passenger-mile)?

Even in Dutch cities with very high bike usage, the bike + pedestrian + other non-motorized share never surpasses 15%. So for Wien to have 26% of pedestrian + bike would be quite a shocker.

Tags
austria, vienna, wien