daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #141
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Some more Schottentor pictures:

The general view of the underground terminus, the University in the background:

Five lines stop at the underground level, five at street level:

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #142
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #143
stefanguti

Likes (Received): 1223

very good pictures, keep it going!

stefanguti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #144
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzl View Post

This is schottentor station. 8 tram lines and a underground line stop there. Whats so interesting about it?
Well, could you point another tram loop with tracks one above another, and the lower level smootly connected with underground shopping center?
WotaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #145
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzl View Post

This is schottentor station. 8 tram lines and a underground line stop there. Whats so interesting about it?
I saw this place when I was there a few years ago and was quite impressed.
brisbanite está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #146
ntly1
North Borneo Is My Home

Likes (Received): 7

I'd been to Vienna, I think their public transport system is just EXCELLENT !
ntly1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #147
stefanguti

austrian liked this post
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #148
stefanguti

Ready for Euro 2008

Old January 13th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #149
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I found this, and thought it was quite cool.

From Wikipedia...

Das u-bahn!
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #150
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 178

Regarding Schottentor: How about extending S 40 from Franz-Josefs Bahnhof to Stephansplatz via Schottentor? Excavations could be done fairly easily if you used the green area between the street and the tram line here: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8870/23oc5.jpg
It could afterwards be used as a light shaft for the S40 platform, which would be located somewhere around 10 meter below the tram concourse in order to be grade separated with the U2 line. The depth would anyways be neccessary for the endstation at Stephansplatz which would be located somewhere around 30-40 meter below the ground.

This way commuters from Tulln would have a great access to the city, and it would also be easier to commute to the university. Anyone on the U3 or U1 could change at Stephansplatz onto the S-trains heading north. You could also have a line like S1 (an example) or another S-line from the north to go to Stephansplatz via Handelskai and Heiligenstadt into the city and the university area.

Perhaps I just suggested the most expensive 1 km-project ever, but I believe it would be great for the Viennese transport system as a whole, not at least for the university.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #151
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
Regarding Schottentor: How about extending S 40 from Franz-Josefs Bahnhof to Stephansplatz via Schottentor? Excavations could be done fairly easily if you used the green area between the street and the tram line here: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8870/23oc5.jpg
It could afterwards be used as a light shaft for the S40 platform, which would be located somewhere around 10 meter below the tram concourse in order to be grade separated with the U2 line. The depth would anyways be neccessary for the endstation at Stephansplatz which would be located somewhere around 30-40 meter below the ground.

This way commuters from Tulln would have a great access to the city, and it would also be easier to commute to the university. Anyone on the U3 or U1 could change at Stephansplatz onto the S-trains heading north. You could also have a line like S1 (an example) or another S-line from the north to go to Stephansplatz via Handelskai and Heiligenstadt into the city and the university area.

Perhaps I just suggested the most expensive 1 km-project ever, but I believe it would be great for the Viennese transport system as a whole, not at least for the university.
I think the key term here is "most expensive 1km-project ever"

What do you gain in comparision to the status quo, and how much would it cost.

You have the D tram from Franz Josephsbahnhof to the university. Of course it might be a bit slower. But if you dont want to get to the university, you have already today the chance to switch to the U4 and U6 in Spittelau.

I am convinced you can invest that fortune far better elsewhere in the PT. For example getting a tight network on the other side of the danube.

PS:
I know this map I made once is not perfect, but I think it fits in here.

yellow lines are the tram
white lines are bus lines
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #152
stefanguti

Nice map, good work!

About Grotlaufens idea: I like the idea even though I know, that it would never be realized. But the idea isn't bad. subway constructions are generally very expensive, but I prefer a real subway than "fake subways" as we have enough (U 1 after donauinsel for example).
you could make an underground line passing schottentor, stephansplatz, stubentor for example or schwarzenbergplatz and than head to the south of the city.
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #153
stefanguti

Schottentor

Old January 17th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #154
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Vienna is a very beautiful city, and one that I one day hope to visit. Especially as it is one of the worlds greatest tram cities, like my current residence of Melbourne.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #155
stefanguti

tram map:

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #156
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanguti View Post
Nice map, good work!

About Grotlaufens idea: I like the idea even though I know, that it would never be realized. But the idea isn't bad. subway constructions are generally very expensive, but I prefer a real subway than "fake subways" as we have enough (U 1 after donauinsel for example).
you could make an underground line passing schottentor, stephansplatz, stubentor for example or schwarzenbergplatz and than head to the south of the city.
I know the idea is very far-flung, but at the same time I find the idea very good to somehow extend the S-bahn from its current terminus. Franz-Josefs Bahnhof isn´t a very great transportation hub nor a very great commercial area (though the Austra Creditanstalt-building above the Franz-Josefsbahnhof is very imposing).

The idea of constructing U-bahn to Schwarzenbergplatz is what they have in plan for the U2-line, if I´m not misinformed. Perhaps an even better idea would be to skip the southern extension of U2 altogether and instead construct a S-bahn/semiUbahn from Franz-Josefs Bahnhof - Schottentor - Stephansplatz - Schwarzenbergplatz - Wien Hauptbahnhof. That would give the commuters north of Vienna a really good connection to the coming Hauptbahnhof.
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #157
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotlaufen View Post
I know the idea is very far-flung, but at the same time I find the idea very good to somehow extend the S-bahn from its current terminus. Franz-Josefs Bahnhof isn´t a very great transportation hub nor a very great commercial area (though the Austra Creditanstalt-building above the Franz-Josefsbahnhof is very imposing).

The idea of constructing U-bahn to Schwarzenbergplatz is what they have in plan for the U2-line, if I´m not misinformed. Perhaps an even better idea would be to skip the southern extension of U2 altogether and instead construct a S-bahn/semiUbahn from Franz-Josefs Bahnhof - Schottentor - Stephansplatz - Schwarzenbergplatz - Wien Hauptbahnhof. That would give the commuters north of Vienna a really good connection to the coming Hauptbahnhof.
Es gibt schon derzeit die Bim die einem in die überall möglichen Richtungen bringt. Außerdem kann man in Spittelau in U6 und U4 wechseln. Wenn man zum Stefansplatz will muss man halt mit 2 U Linien fahren, dauert aber auch nur rund 10 min von Spittelau bis zum Stephansdom.

Wieso soll man bitte schön so viel Geld vergraben, nur damit man vielleicht 5 min schneller auf diesem speziellen Weg ist?
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #158
stefanguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Es gibt schon derzeit die Bim die einem in die überall möglichen Richtungen bringt. Außerdem kann man in Spittelau in U6 und U4 wechseln. Wenn man zum Stefansplatz will muss man halt mit 2 U Linien fahren, dauert aber auch nur rund 10 min von Spittelau bis zum Stephansdom.

Wieso soll man bitte schön so viel Geld vergraben, nur damit man vielleicht 5 min schneller auf diesem speziellen Weg ist?
Ist doch nur eine Träumerei! Wir wissen eh, dass das nie realisiert wird, aber mir würde es dennoch gefallen. Stell dir mal vor, das Geld wäre egal. Ich fände es gut!
Ich habe mir gestern gedacht, U2 und "verlängerte S-Bahn" treffen einander bei Schwarzenbergplatz, und man könnte daraus ein Finanzzentrum machen. Raiffeisen Investment und andere sind ja schon dort. Auf einer Hauswand große Screens anbringen (wie Picadilly Circus zB) mit Kursen, News, Werbungen. Das würde den Platz noch moderner machen, obwohl dort prunkvolle Häuser stehen. Die Screens aber noch innerhalb des Rings zB anbringen, da steht ein Haus, das nicht so schön ist. Wie gesagt: Träumerei.
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #159
stefanguti

Nightshot by myself last night:

Tramway Line 42 crossing the Gürtel.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:11 AM   #160
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanguti View Post
Ist doch nur eine Träumerei! Wir wissen eh, dass das nie realisiert wird, aber mir würde es dennoch gefallen. Stell dir mal vor, das Geld wäre egal. Ich fände es gut!
Ich habe mir gestern gedacht, U2 und "verlängerte S-Bahn" treffen einander bei Schwarzenbergplatz, und man könnte daraus ein Finanzzentrum machen. Raiffeisen Investment und andere sind ja schon dort. Auf einer Hauswand große Screens anbringen (wie Picadilly Circus zB) mit Kursen, News, Werbungen. Das würde den Platz noch moderner machen, obwohl dort prunkvolle Häuser stehen. Die Screens aber noch innerhalb des Rings zB anbringen, da steht ein Haus, das nicht so schön ist. Wie gesagt: Träumerei.
Na vielleicht denke ich da zu wirtschaftlich. Ich stelle mir halt vor wie großartig man da das Bim Netzwerk um dieses Geld modernisieren, beschleunigen und ausbauen könnte. Zum Beispiel den Vorschlag der Untergrundstraßenbahn die über die Herrengasse das Schottentor mit der Oper verbindet. Die Rampe beim Schottentor gäbe es ja bereits.

Tags
austria, vienna, wien