daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:11 PM   #1
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 250

Pasco, Hernando, Citrus County Development News

Here's an intriguing village project....

Mall At Wiregrass Makes A Village
Skip directly to the full story.
By MICHAEL SASSO msasso@tampatrib.com

Published: May 18, 2006

WESLEY CHAPEL - To hear mall builders talk about their projects these days, it sounds as if they aren't building shopping centers anymore. They're building "pedestrian villages" and "town centers" with retail, according to the current industry jargon.

The latest example is The Shops at Wiregrass in Wesley Chapel. On Wednesday, the developers of this planned open-air mall unveiled their plan to create an urban village feel in the heart of suburbia. To do it, developers Goodman Co. of West Palm Beach and Cleveland-based Forest City Enterprises propose to build 12 separate retail buildings instead of one massive building and to give each its own mix of columns, towers or other architectural features.

They also propose heavy use of brick pavers, tree-lined curving streets, fountains and outdoor seating. Put into context, the plan for The Shops at Wiregrass is part of a nationwide movement away from traditional enclosed malls, such as Tampa's University Mall.

"This will be a place where people will come on a Sunday afternoon to just hang out," said John Dowd of Goodman Co.

The Shops at Wiregrass, which is planned for the intersection of State Road 56 and Bruce B. Downs Boulevard, is one of three huge outdoor malls planned for Pasco County. The others are Cypress Creek Town Center, at S.R. 56 and Interstate 75, and The Grove at Wesley Chapel, at S.R. 54 and I-75.

So far, The Shops at Wiregrass developers have only announced two tenants, JCPenney (which is already open) and Dillard's. Marquee Cinemas was to be a third anchor, but pulled out of the project, Dowd said.

The mall is expected to cost $105 million to build. Among its features, unveiled Wednesday, are:

•A semicircular format. Forest City Vice President Jim Richardson said the mall's main road will follow a curve, preventing people from seeing the end of the road. That will focus their attention on the buildings and create an urban feel, he said.

•Detached buildings. All told, the mall will be 750,000 square feet (or about three-fourths the size of a modern enclosed mall), but it will have 12 buildings instead of one. In general, the buildings will use earth tones and Mediterranean styles.

•An upscale restaurant area. The Shops at Wiregrass will create an area near its main entrance for full-service restaurants, including outdoor seating. That would be similar to other area malls that have created restaurant wings, such as WestShore Plaza and International Plaza.

The Shops at Wiregrass is following a multi-year trend toward building open-air centers. Technically, the project is considered a "lifestyle center," which refers to an outdoor center with an urban streetscape feel. According to ICSC statistics, there are about 30 such lifestyle centers expected to open this year in the United States. By comparison, there is only one traditional enclosed mall expected to open this year, in Jonesboro, Ark.

The Shops At Wiregrass
•Size: 750,000 square feet

•Completion: Fall 2007

•Developers: Goodman Co., West Palm Beach; Forest City Enterprises, Cleveland

•Major Tenants: JCPenney, which opened in October, and Dillard's

http://www.tbo.com/news/money/MGB30E5FCNE.html
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #2
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 422

What the hell is going on with the Cypress Creek developement? This is bugging me.
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #3
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Its facing heavy opposition from residents and enviormentalist. Residents complain about traffic and Enviormentalis claim the pollution will damge the local watershed due tot the location being on or near water-filtering-land. It may not happen from what i hear.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #4
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 685

lol... what a crock article.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #5
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Cypress Creek Town Center

Pasco mall clears another government hurdle
Tampa Bay Business Journal - 2:12 PM EDT Friday, March 16, 2007

Cypress Creek Town Center inched a bit closer to reality Thursday night after receiving six key permit approvals from the Pasco County Development Review Committee.

The mall is scheduled to be built near Interstate 75 and State Road 56 near Wesley Chapel by the Richard E. Jacobs Group of Cleveland. The permits approved Thursday addressed stormwater and road infrastructure for the 510-acre site where 1.3 million square feet of stores and an AMC movie theater are expected to be built.

The last obstacle to constructing the long-delayed mall is a request from Jacobs to fill 60 acres of wetlands and put structures on top of them. It must first receive approval from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

"We hope to obtain the Corps permit and have construction begin in June with an opening next year," said Deanne Roberts, a spokeswoman for the project.

A "coming soon" sign on the property had listed 2007 as the targeted opening for the massive retail project until a few weeks ago when it was changed to read "opening in 2008."

The pre-construction plans for the mall were delayed back in October when a neighboring resident issued a challenge through the Southwest Florida Water Management District, more commonly known as Swiftmud, over wetland concerns. Roberts said the challenge to the Swiftmud permit has been satisfied since Jacobs officials "addressed the concerns of those bringing the challenge."

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...l?surround=lfn
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6
Jasonhouse

Like, exactly how inept is the Pasco planning department, that they think it is sensible development to allow this mall to be built pretty much across the street from another one (Wiregrass)? We're talking about roughly 3 million sqft of retail to all be built in one spot, thus forcing residents for miles around to drive there, instead of somewhere closer.

Imagine if when they built Citrus Park Town Center, they built it near University Mall instead... Or maybe Brandon town Center was built next door to Tampa Bay Center... Yeah, that's how dumb this is going to look years from now when the area is built out.
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #7
smiley

Likes (Received): 109

Then you only have one, maybe two roads to ten lane. . .
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Jasonhouse

It is cheaper and more efficient to have multiple 4-6 lane roads than 1-2 10 lanes roads. It is als better to zone in such a way that people do not have to drive miles and miles to go the places they need to go (especially the most frequent trips, like work and shopping).
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
FlaNatv

Likes (Received): 55

Will University Mall Close after Cypress Creek, etc is built? If yes, What may happen to the University area?
FlaNatv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #10
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNatv View Post
Will University Mall Close after Cypress Creek, etc is built? If yes, What may happen to the University area?
I doubt University Mall will close because of Cypress Creek. University Mall and this Cypress Creek Center are in two different parts of the metro and serve different people. IMO. The thing is is that there are 2 other mall type developments in the same area. Here is an article from last month explaining the situation...

Malls sprouting in east Pasco

Author: CHUIN-WEI YAP
Date: Feb 18, 2007

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Feb 18, 2007

Don't expect to do any shopping in most of them until 2008.

This was to be the year giant malls started rising from the ground.

The big signboards just off Interstate 75, on both ends of State Road 56 in Wesley Chapel, still say so.

On the western end, a sign announces a 2007 opening date for the 1.3-million-square-foot Cypress Creek Town Center.

On the eastern end, the proclamation is for the 750,000-square- foot Shops at Wiregrass.

Not quite.

The Richard E. Jacobs Group of Cleveland may take another year or more before it launches Cypress Creek. It just faced down a legal challenge on one of the key environmental permits, but there are other permits to secure. Even the most optimistic predictions do not have the mall breaking ground before fall.

"We're very confident it's going to be resolved in our favor," said Tom Schmitz, the developer's vice president in charge of the project. "We plan to open Cypress Creek Town Center by fall 2008."

Wiregrass' mall is hoping to beat the Jacobs Group's.

Its developers, the Goodman Co. and Forest City, say they hope to break ground this spring.

"We expect to (have) completion scheduled for spring 2008," said Forest City's Jim Richardson.

The mall does not face the same environmental concerns as Cypress Creek Town Center, but its fate is tied to the 5,000-acre Wiregrass Ranch proposal. County planners are still trying to get the mini- city's residential developer, Pulte Homes, to provide more road infrastructure, and have delayed a public hearing on the proposal until March.

So far, Wiregrass has announced only Dillard's as an incoming anchor at its site. JCPenney already sits there.

The tentative lineup at Cypress Creek Town Center boasts an 18- screen AMC Theaters cinema, Kohl's department store, Linens-N- Things, Costco and Target.

The giants may be stumbling, but some lower-profile rivals are inching ahead.

The 209,000-square-foot Cypress Creek retail center, next door to the would-be Cypress Creek Town Center, has already quietly begun construction.

It is scheduled for delivery this spring, with Ashley and Havertys furniture stores as its main anchors, in addition to a Chuck E. Cheese's restaurant. An Ethan Allen furniture store and a Comfort Suites hotel are also scheduled to join the lineup after the project is launched.

Farther north, construction is also expected to start in the spring for ECHO Real Estate's Grove at Wesley Chapel, at I-75 and County Road 54.

The 800,000-square-foot Grove, as it is commonly called among industry watchers, has lined up an 18-screen Cobb Theatres cinema, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy, PetSmart, Ross Dress for Less and Michael's craft store.

Supersized malls like these typically take a year or more to build, so forget about seeing the Grove open to the public this year.

The Grove is situated one interstate exit north of Cypress Creek Town Center and the Shops at Wiregrass.

Yet another exit north, the would-be Pasco Town Centre is also navigating regulatory hurdles, though with little sign of real problems. Pasco Town Centre is a 945-acre mixed-use development driven by the Shailendra Group, which has been on-again, off-again for more than a decade.

The 2-million-square-foot retail component is expected to host Tampa Premium Outlets, provided by the Chelsea Property Group, the same retail developers that brought us Orlando Premium Outlets.

Expect to see outlet-priced designer labels like Barneys, Salvatore Ferragamo and Ralph Lauren.

But the bottom line for 2007?

Forget about shopping at any of the big malls. That's not likely until 2008, according to most of the malls' developers themselves.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...+in+east+Pasco
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Jasonhouse

Yes, University stands a decent chance of being forced to close due to tenants hauling ass to the Pasco malls.
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #12
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

I freaking hate this, I drive by this a lot to get downtown and what not, and its farms. It breaks my heart to see farmlands go like that.
I hate malls, they are the evilest invention ever.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #13
Jahi98

Likes (Received): 50

I'm not so sure that University Mall will close. It serves a different now than what these new malls in Pasco will serve. I do forsee the tenant mix changing in there a lot, though. Or, perhaps if anything comes of rail, it would be a nice candidate for redevelopment into a large-scale TOD.

As for these Pasco malls, they all seem to be just pretty strip malls -- no housing and/or office components integrated.

I think Pasco could've got better projects than these.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #14
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
Yes, University stands a decent chance of being forced to close due to tenants hauling ass to the Pasco malls.
University Mall needed to be closed years ago. Go in there, level the existing buildings and redevelop an outdoor mall like Waterford Lakes over by UCF in Orlando or what replaced Clearwater Mall. Keep it open, make it very visible to deter some of the hooligans that loiter at the existing mall and gear it towards the USF campus right next door. Another good idea, build a modern 16+ theater complex in there so the people that live around campus will go there rather than to the Starlight 20 in New Tampa. They should also play up to the large affluential retirement village and villas just behind it, University Village. I know as it stands now they try and keep the elderly from the mall.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Robert.Maddrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #15
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrisco View Post
I freaking hate this, I drive by this a lot to get downtown and what not, and its farms. It breaks my heart to see farmlands go like that.
I hate malls, they are the evilest invention ever.
Amen. I remember growing up out off of Van Dyke Rd in Hillsborough in the 80's and 90's and it was still some what quiet and rural with only a scattering of subdivisions and ranch homes, as you got up into Pasco/Land O'Lakes to the north it was country and the people that lived there, did so for a reason; they did not want to live in the city. It is heart breaking to see these areas transformed into suburban sprawl and unneeded shopping malls.

I mean, Jeebus we already have University Mall, West Shore Mall, International Plaza, Citrus Park Town Center, Brandon Town Center, etc... Going to the mall should be a trip, it should be special and or fun the way it used to be going down town or to West Shore Mall.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #16
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Maddrey View Post
University Mall needed to be closed years ago. Go in there, level the existing buildings and redevelop an outdoor mall like Waterford Lakes over by UCF in Orlando or what replaced Clearwater Mall. Keep it open, make it very visible to deter some of the hooligans that loiter at the existing mall and gear it towards the USF campus right next door. Another good idea, build a modern 16+ theater complex in there so the people that live around campus will go there rather than to the Starlight 20 in New Tampa. They should also play up to the large affluential retirement village and villas just behind it, University Village. I know as it stands now they try and keep the elderly from the mall.

Why not a stadium for the Bulls on the University land? Temple Terrace folks love to toss that solution around.

I loathe the University Mall with a passion. I'd love to personally rip it down, .

I also here that a new mall is slated for Big Bend Rd. & I-75 within the next three years....
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #17
JBrisco
USF Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Amen. I remember growing up out off of Van Dyke Rd in Hillsborough in the 80's and 90's and it was still some what quiet and rural with only a scattering of subdivisions and ranch homes, as you got up into Pasco/Land O'Lakes to the north it was country and the people that lived there, did so for a reason; they did not want to live in the city. It is heart breaking to see these areas transformed into suburban sprawl and unneeded shopping malls.

I mean, Jeebus we already have University Mall, West Shore Mall, International Plaza, Citrus Park Town Center, Brandon Town Center, etc... Going to the mall should be a trip, it should be special and or fun the way it used to be going down town or to West Shore Mall.
Ya man! I live on Tarpon Springs Road in Hillsborough and they are selling the farms on Crescent Rd. and even further down towards Pinellas.
I remember when my high school was only but a orange grove, now its an ugly abomination to architecture.
Aswell as the crap all next to it on the over congested 2 Way Gunn Hwy, I hate that stupid street.
JBrisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #18
jonknee
Downtown resident

Likes (Received): 42

Remember when Gunn Hwy got congested, when the Citrus Park mall got put in. Before Sickles there was nothing out there, followed shortly by the mall and then all hell broke loose.
jonknee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #19
Robert.Maddrey
Native Floridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrisco View Post
Ya man! I live on Tarpon Springs Road in Hillsborough and they are selling the farms on Crescent Rd. and even further down towards Pinellas.
I remember when my high school was only but a orange grove, now its an ugly abomination to architecture.
Aswell as the crap all next to it on the over congested 2 Way Gunn Hwy, I hate that stupid street.
Amen. I was in the first graduating class of Sickles High in '99. Its so entirely different all through there now than it was just a few years back.

Down Shift Magazine
>> My Photos of Tampa <<
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #20
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Quote:
Amen. I was in the first graduating class of Sickles High in '99. Its so entirely different all through there now than it was just a few years back.
Hey I'm at Sickles now.

But yeah it has changed a lot out here. Especially along 54 in Pasco within the past 2 years. It's becoming another one of those suburban meccas.