daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old October 24th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #1
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 1085

YBOR CITY | Ybor City Development News and Discussion Thread

I was in the Tampa area for the Eagles game this past weekend.

My friends and I went into Ybor City to booze on Saturday night. We heard it was the great bar area in Tampa. I've never been to New Orleans, but a lot of Eagles fans that were there said it was like a mini-Bourbon Street.

All of these pictures were taken on 7th Avenue.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 24th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #2
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 509

Sorry for your luck, but it is NOTHING like what it used to be... The city has effectively killed the nightlife, by trying to turn it into a Disneyfied "family neighborhood"... I don't even bother going there anymore, nor do I bother taking out of towners there... It's BORING.

If you really want to see what Ybor is all about, come back this weekend coming, when it will be closer to what it used to be...
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #3
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 368

One thing I gotta ask. Were you drunk when you were taking the pictures?

Nice Pictures. I have to agree. Knowing Ybor, it isn't how it use to be. Yes, you have the occasionally nights where it is all filled with drunk people all around, but with the couple past years and city and all that trying to make Ybor "family safe" it just isn't the same ol' Ybor. Many bars and shops are closing and not much is getting down bringing life back to it. There is no point really taking the trolley to Ybor during the day either. The only thing you have down there during day is Gameworks and Movieplex, that's it. But if Tampa wants to see a place for families, that is why you have Channelside for, leave Ybor alone .I'd rather see a bunch of drunks in Ybor than down the street in Channelside
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #4
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 225

Yea basically what people have been saying the stupid family friendly thing has ruined ybor at a time Ybor should have been improving from the intrest in downtown again.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #5
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

I was drunk during the last 2 pictures, but they are blurry because my camera catches any small motion when I have the flash turned off.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #6
97Roll
Tampa, FL

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I was drunk during the last 2 pictures, but they are blurry because my camera catches any small motion when I have the flash turned off.
So did you have a good time?
97Roll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #7
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 6

I have a great time everytime I go. On a different note, do you guys and any ladies think that the Smith and Associates project across from the Mascarade building get built? I really like the design of the project, but I do not think that there are any pictures of it online, but I will check to see so I can show you all.
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #8
Jasonhouse

Yeah, it will get built... There is pent up demand for office space all over the city (rents in Westshore are starting to hit $30sqft), and Ybor is increasingly attractive as an option to certain types of firms...
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #9
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 6

I am going to check on their site to see if there are any pictures.
Old October 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #10
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 2

Drove through Ybor today and noticed a few things -

* Heidt & Associates HQ building is making significant progress on 16th St and 5th Ave, across from the main parking garage.

* Box Factory Lofts has started exterior painting.

* I-4 Overpass looks pretty nice with the red brick walls and support columns. There was an article on this recently in one of the papers.

* Las Ybor Townhomes on 17th St and 4th Ave looks to be nearing completion.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #11
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Roll View Post
So did you have a good time?
I had a great time. The next time the Eagles play in Tampa I'm going to come down again. Next time I want to visit the Channelside District, which I heard is also good and has a great nightlife. I also want to spend a day on the beaches in Pinellas County, which I didn't have a chance to do this time.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #12
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 146

Channelside nightlife isn't great, but it is improving, maybe by the time the Eagle come down here again Channelside will have a nice vibe. Even though unless you guys come down here for the playoffs, it could be a while before the Eagles come back to Tampa.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #13
cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Channelside nightlife isn't great, but it is improving, maybe by the time the Eagle come down here again Channelside will have a nice vibe. Even though unless you guys come down here for the playoffs, it could be a while before the Eagles come back to Tampa.
..especially after that 62-yd FG broke their hearts

I think by the time the eagles come back, things will change a whole lot by then. that's the beauty of tampa, it's constantly growing within months. by that time, i think DT will be hopping with all the Condo residents moved in.. i'm thinking Franklin Street.

However, i dont see why you all have so much animosity towards the changes of Ybor. if you want to a good time, you still have that opportunity. and with all the condos going up behind 7th avenue, it will bring more local residents to the area and make it more of a dynamic feel. I remember when Ybor used to be goth-central and no one in their right mind would feel safe roaming the streets at night. at least it's become more welcoming to a larger demographic. i kind of relate it to how Manhattan changed under the Giuliani regime.
cee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #14
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Actually, the owners of Channelside are doing their best to get rid of the nightlife. I don't blame them - working there, I have seen first hand the destruction that has come along with the clubs. Places like Splitsville, Tina Tapas, and Howl at the Moon are fine (and, coincidentally, owned by the same people), but places like Slingshots, Banana Joes, and the now never-to-be-finished McGraw's (also owned buy one group) are really bringing the place down, in terms of who goes there. Ick.

I went to school in Ybor City and have always had a love for it. The arts scene used to be so much more interesting... now, not so much. It still makes for a nice walk during the afternoon, but it isn't what it used to be. Not at all. I wasn't old enough to go into clubs in the 90's, but I do recall spending quite a bit of time on the street there. I still like to visit, but it has changed. Still, Ybor is one of the more interesting barrios we have.
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM   #15
dudeintampa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
Actually, the owners of Channelside are doing their best to get rid of the nightlife. I don't blame them - working there, I have seen first hand the destruction that has come along with the clubs. Places like Splitsville, Tina Tapas, and Howl at the Moon are fine (and, coincidentally, owned by the same people), but places like Slingshots, Banana Joes, and the now never-to-be-finished McGraw's (also owned buy one group) are really bringing the place down, in terms of who goes there. Ick.
A while ago, there was a Trib article that stated the developers were soliciting retailers that would serve the anticpated residents in Channelside/Downtown/Harbour Island.

They mentioned Crate and Barrel and other stores that could serve larger retail stores (compared to the smaller retail in most of the current projects, with exception to Grand Central).

I for one would love to see a gourmet food retailer (similar to "A Southern Season" in Chapel Hill). If anyone else has ever been there, you'll know that they are an independent (but huge store) that puts Williams Sonoma and the like to shame. (Almost two entire aisles just for spices and herbs!)

Oh well, off my soapbox now
dudeintampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #16
cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
i don't see the big deal in those types of places that you mention. if you have a problem with black people, then just come out and say it. but, as it stands, the type of person "who goes there" just seems to be the single crowd of tampa, so i don't know what the big deal is.

i think channelside is a great venue to go out at night and enjoy. hell, if it werent for those "types" of establishments, it would be completely dead at night-- and many can argue that nightime is when they generate a good amount of revenue.
Old October 26th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #17
Maxim98

Those people? Blacks?

I'm actually rolling on the floor, praying that you are being sarcastic. If you want a specific race, I was talking about the loud, 37 year old white ladies. ;-) Seriously. The desperation is simply gross in my opinion.

Yes, those types of places bring customers who litter, spill beer, and generally destroy the plaza. The fact that the owners don't bother to keep up with them doesn't help. Take a closer look around Channelside on a Saturday morning and you'll see broken lamps, busted columns, cigarette butts permanently wedged between pavers, and a general odor of beer. I'm not a conservative, racist, Bible-hugging (not that these three go together, heh, but I thought I would check every stereotypical "purist"-type), but I don't like the fact that those places bring in patrons that, coupled with poor management, have driven Channelside downhill fast. That was my point - Channelside is neither equipped nor maintained to handle that type of clientele - and it shows.

Whether or not it is good for business (obviously not *that* good, as the owners are stopping the expansion of McGraws in spite of a lawsuit) isn't the point - as a destination, it has been tarnished and is turning quickly into an eyesore. Places like Howl at the Moon, Splitsville, and Tina Tapas, on the other hand, are more in line with the types of destinations more suited to Channelside, in my opinion. Tamer? Yes, but they lure a higher level consumer, versus the sweat shacks. ;-P
Old October 26th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #18
Jasonhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee View Post
i don't see the big deal in those types of places that you mention. if you have a problem with black people, then just come out and say it. but, as it stands, the type of person "who goes there" just seems to be the single crowd of tampa, so i don't know what the big deal is.
HOLD UP RIGHT THERE!

This is NOT about race in any way, and we're not going to even go there. Not on my site. If you want to spew that racebaiting shit, go do it somewhere else please.

The owners of the Shops have repeatedly said over and over that they don't want the young, "drunken nightlife" kind of crowd... They want old, monied yuppies who will go eat at the Signature Room or Grill 29, buy some ice cream or chocolates, see a movie, yawn a few times and go home after happily dropping a few hundred bucks. If a few families show up, that's ok, just so long as the kids shut up.

The problem is, their development is in Tampa, not West Palm Beach.

ps... my question is, if they didn't want a younger, more raucuos crowd, then WHY did they build next to a hockey arena and kid friendly Aquarium, only a few minutes from Ybor? Why did they sign up tenants like Bennigan's, Stump's, Splitsville and Hooters??? If they have a problem with who is patronizing their development, then they need to look in the mirror and say "thank you"...
Old October 26th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #19
Maxim98

I think the problem is more or less with the "drunken youth", not the families. The working class target, the after hours, middle class adults, was to be attracted with items like Signature Room (RIP), Howl, Sally's Ally (now to be assimilated into more casual dining areas with Splitsville), Tina Tapas, and - for some variety - Thai Thani. Things didn't go as expected, so they broadened their horizons, hoping to attract middle class families interested in going to the Aquarium (there are several promotional ties between Channelside and the Aquarium, obviously) and then seeing a movie or having lunch at a more casual restaurant. That worked fine until the clubs came en masse, leaving a dirty, messy venue that drove away families almost completely. The Hooters I see as necessary, though I wonder about its placement - it is a great location for post-game celebrations. But otherwise..., an eyesore. I think the clubs might be a problem with the area, and the owners realize this. I mean, who wants to go out of their way to park and walk around a bunch of closed clubs in prime real estate? The view is nice, but not enough to attract a soul during the day (weekends included). It simply isn't feasible to have your development open at solely night, and is, in my opinion, stunting the growth of retail in the project.
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #20
cee

you guys are being ridiculous. what do you want Channelside to be? another haven for blonde-haired, SUV-driving, Soccer mom yuppy types? we have hyde park for that kind of bullshit. I say it is fine the way it is. in fact, i think we need MORE restaurants and bars/clubs and eliminate those trashy tourist stores like the one on the outside of Channelside selling political-themed clothing (forgot the name).

During the day, it feeds the workers of downtown and at night, it feeds them food and serves them alcohol. it is FINE the way it is, and it's everything we've ever wanted. I'm sorry if i'm not ready to move in a Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints synagogue into the damn thing, but broken lamps and empty beer bottles the day after is small price to pay (and a small duty to clean up) compared to the amts of dollars that the place brings in on weekends.

It is what it is, and if they really wanted it any other way, they would have moved in such establishments.