daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #1
youngkg
Tampa - St Pete

Likes (Received): 2

Unbuilt Tampa Bay

Quote:
Three high-rise projects could alter Tampa's skyline if housing market turns around

By Steve Huettel, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Friday, October 8, 2010

Downtown Tampa's flat-lined condo market is showing some small signs of life.

Three separate high-rise projects are moving through the planning stages. One calls for twin 27-story towers north of the St. Pete Times Forum. The others are needle-shaped towers more than 500 feet tall east of the city's Whiting Street parking garage.

The developers received variances Thursday from the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority board, serving in a new role of ruling on tall structures proposed near flight paths to Tampa International and three county general aviation airports.

The Federal Aviation Administration already said that the buildings posed no hazard to private planes flying in and out of nearby Peter O. Knight Airport.

So board chairman Al Austin, an office building developer, asked how soon the projects might begin with housing sales in a prolonged slump.

"I'm not quite sure of the plans," said Seth Schimmel, an attorney for Channelside Development LLC, which is proposing the twin condo towers, called Crescent Heights. "I can't say if it will be six months or. …"

Attorney Keith Bricklemyer, representing developers of Whiting Tower and Jefferson Tower, said it depended on how soon the housing market picks up.

As planned, the buildings will be remarkably thin and tall. Each would be built on a quarter of a square block — Whiting Tower on a corner of Whiting and Morgan streets, and Jefferson Tower on a corner of Whiting and Jefferson.

The spires of each tower would reach up more than 550 feet. Downtown Tampa's tallest building, 100 North Tampa, is 601 feet. Nearby, the Bank of America Tower tops out at 589 feet.

Developer representatives listed on the variance applications declined to talk about the projects or didn't return phone calls.

A Miami developer called Crescent Heights marketed two condo towers across Channelside Drive from the St. Pete Times Forum in the mid '90s that were never built.

Bricklemyer represented Swiss investors behind a 51-story condo tower called Four Seasons Residences on a block fronting Whiting Street. The project won approval from Tampa's City Council in 2004 but also folded before construction began.

Steve Huettel can be reached at huettel@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3384.
Source: St. Pete Times
http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...market/1126700
youngkg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #2
smiley

Likes (Received): 110

Dont hold your breath
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #3
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 429

In this market, I don't see any of them happening if approved completely. If any do happen though I'll be surprised.
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #4
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 715

The developers have no intention of building imo. Sounds like they're packaging the land to resell.

Btw, the article is full of errors... Like the building heights listed are based on sea level, not street level.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #5
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 55

Would be nice to know where any of these plans stand?
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #6
USF802

Likes (Received): 160

I have no idea about those 3 projects, but the other day I noticed some work being done with some heavy machinery on the Morgan and Whiting block. For reference, its the block surrounded by Whiting, Morgan, Washington and Pierce.

I forgot the name of the small billboard that was posted on the site, but it had the company's name and said site development.

Could it be related to one of those projects? Perhaps I guess. Or could be completely unrelated, not sure.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #7
Jasonhouse

What day of the week was it? Were there cars parked there like normal?

Were the machines doing work (like paving the lot?), or just parked there? Could be for a nearby project and they got permission to park there?

What type of machines are we talking about?
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:45 AM   #8
USF802

Hmmm, trying to recollect now..

It was Tuesday of this week. No cars on lot and I believe it was all dirt. Machines parked there, it was around 6pm. If I remember what I saw, it was a bulldozer or 2 and a large grader or similar type machine and maybe one more.

I din't think too much of it, as I just figured they were repaving the lot. I'll have to check it out again tomorrow.
Old June 7th, 2013, 02:57 AM   #9
Jasonhouse

Sounds like paving (the lot presently is not paved IIRC), or they're parked there for use in another nearby project.
Old June 7th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #10
USF802

That's kind of what I was figuring, unfortunately.

I figured I would bring it up, since TPAMAN brought back this article. Just wasn't sure if it was a project snuck in behind me, that I was unaware about.

Last edited by USF802; June 7th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old June 7th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #11
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

The property hasn't changed hands since 1985 and I can't see them paving now when it's been dirt since I am guessing 1985.

Southgate development maybe? It's right across the street from it.
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:14 AM   #12
Jasonhouse

^Paved lots can charge more? lol

I don't see any permits with the city for the site. At least not that are showing up online.
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #13
TPAMAN

Likes (Received): 55

I did a little digging and it appears there was recently some work done by the water department in the immediate area. Not sure if it was done by the city or any potential developer. It was on the City of Tampa website when i googled the street address. Maybe it's nothing new...
TPAMAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #14
USF802

So the company that had the billboard posted is, Azzarelli, and the specialize in paving and site development, according to their website.
Old December 19th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #15
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 749

Unbuilt Tampa Bay

I thought that I would carry forth one of I-275's ideas that is Unbuilt Tampa Bay! With the recent recession, we all know that many development projects went down the tubes. For some larger-scale projects, the economic downfall was truly saddening in my opinion, because we didn't get some of the buildings that many of us would have really liked to see.

So without further delay, let's get to it! For now, I've started out with a listing of projects from the global development thread for Tampa that was created back in 2007. I plan on making an update to that thread sometime in early 2014, after the new local list is posted.

Please note that the listing below are of projects that I'm pretty sure got canned due to the recession, plus some that I know 100% that were canned (i.e. Trump Tower). There are more projects on the 2007 global list by which I have no idea if they did get built or not. This list will be updated based on member input.

Hillsborough County

Downtown Tampa/Central Business District

*Trump Tower Tampa
*Venu
*Union Station Tampa
*Tampa Tower I+II
*TWELVE Tampa
*Vancouver Acqusations Project
*Six Ten Franklin
*Downtown W
*Kress Condo Towers Project
*The Royal
*Countless plans for the Old Federal Courthouse prior to the Le Meridien project taking off.
*Hillsborough River Tower
*Tampa Teleconvergence Center
*Seasons Residences
*Modesto

Channelside/Harbour Island

*Place Towers II & III
*Del Villar
*Great Gulf
*Blu Channelside
*Finergy
*Pinnacle Tower

Hyde Park

*Parkside (C)
*View
*DeSoto Tower
*SoHo Flats
*Grande at SoHo

WestShore BD

*Ritz Carlton Rocky Point
*The Cove
*West View
*Westshore Westin Center

South WestShore/Palma Ceia/MacDill

*New Port WestShore
*Original plans for the Ft Homer Hesterly Armory (hotel, etc)

Town-N-Country/Northwest Hillsborough County

*Nothing that I can list off at the moment

Carrollwood/Lutz/USF/Temple Terrace/Northern Hillsborough County

Brandon/SouthShore/Eastern Hillsborough County

Hillsborough County Infrastructure
*Some information listed below was listed on the old Bayciti site

*Florida High Speed Rail Line and Downtown Intermodal Center (first incarnation was rejected by voters, second incarnation was killed by Prick Scott)
*Eastern Veterans Expressway/East-West Road (struck down several times, though the I-75 overpass was built)
*West Crosstown Expressway (would have cut through portions of WestShore and Hyde Park had it been built in the 70s/80s)
*North Crosstown Expressway (original 70s plan would have paralleled Hillsborough Ave or MLK, there was also a later plan in the early 2000s that would have had the corridor paralleling Busch)
*Tampa Bay Area Beltway (struck down several times, likely to remain dead unless Prick Scott decides to fast-track the project to reality)
*Dale Mabry Freeway (remnants are the Hillsborough Ave and Busch Blvd interchanges. Shot down by heavy business opposition)
*TIA North Terminal (effectively killed off by the recession and consolidating airline industry)
*Numerous failed attempts at building a passenger rail system, including LRT.

Pinellas County

St. Pete/South Pinellas

Found this old thread. Can we take a stab at what wasn't built in DT St. Pete?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=328764

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Wow st.pete is lookin good but we need something to pass 400 feet now otherwise florida just got itself a new kick ass skyline. could we even surpass tampa? (not in height but overall skyline)
Now

*The Rays stadium proposal at Al Lang
*The Lens (St. Pete Pier replacement)
*Arts Condominium
*Tropicana Center
*The Portland
*La Vista
*Grand Bohemian Hotel & Residences
*ARC Office Development
*Mansion on the Bay
*Delmar Condos
*Darst Extended Stay Hotel
*Bellano City Homes
*Central Avenue Lofts
*Mirabella
*Bayway Lofts
*Tamarind on Central
*Shineco Condos
*Lucaya Landings
*The Colony Condos
*Sonata
*Suttell Condos
*Osprey Development Site
*Urban Edge
*Triann Tower
*Granville Pacific
*Maranatha by the Bay
*The Liberty Bayfront Hotel
*World Liquors Redevelopment Project
*Plaza Park Towers

Clearwater/Gateway/North Pinellas

*Belleview Biltmore Hotel Restoration

Pinellas County Infrastructure

*Numerous freeways were proposed for Pinellas in the 60s/70s and were shot down, including one that would have brought I-375 to Clearwater via the CSX ROW.
*The remainder of the CR 296 freeway portion and connection to the Bayside Bridge are stagnant at the moment, but will eventually be built (AND PROBABLY TOLLED). Supposedly, FDOT is making the corridor a "priority" project now. You know who to thank for that. ;/

Pasco/Hernando/Citrus Counties

Please feel free to list anything that I've missed, and I'll add it to the list above. Thanks!
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook

Brian72 liked this post

Last edited by HARTride 2012; January 2nd, 2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added more failed developments
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #16
John F

Likes (Received): 46

One more for Tampa:

Hillsborough River Tower
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #17
FLAWDA-FELLA
Native Flaw-ridian

Likes (Received): 739

Isn't that the 600' proposal across the river that had the rather odd design in the render?
Old December 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #18
John F

Likes (Received): 46

I wouldn't call the design "odd" - it was something that resembled other buildings in other cities. It was to be tall -- tallest office tower in Tampa, and built on property next to the Media Center (Media General's "teleconvergence" center)
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #19
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

St. Pete can add the Arts Condominium and the Tropicana Block to the list. Fuel Group's hotel project and then Grand Bohemian Residences. Infamous Liberty Group had their hotel project proposed and die as well.

Here's the interactive maps that are posted in the quote.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/03/19/skyline/
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #20
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Here's also a good list of unbuilt in St. Petersburg. Everything in grey is unbuilt for sure.

http://www.stpete.org/economic_devel...l09Booklet.pdf