daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #1
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 6

TAMPA | Tampa Riverwalk Discussion

We all know Tampa has a huge cuban and spanish background, my question is as we build this riverwalk ,around the perimeter of the huge growth we are expected in downtown. Should we have spanish restaurants and businesse's etc.. As the main theme ???

While Malio's has already said they were going down near there,could others follow???

Comments??

Side bar nothing better than some cuban sandwiches,devil crabs,stuffed potatoes,ropa veja,piccadillo,chicken malanesa,yuca mash,and finally roasted pork with moho..
Tampa on the move. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #2
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 225

I'm all for part of the riverwalk being Spanish themed, like maybe the part around the Performing Arts Center. But making the entire riverwalk a Spanish theme would be silly IMO.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM   #3
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 2

I think you need to use caution when applying a theme to a public project. Often times, theme can equate to gimmick.

That said, I think that incorporating Spanish elements into the Riverwalk in spots would be fine. In order to create something that's special, it's important to accentuate what makes Tampa unique from other cities.

Our Spanish heritage and influence is certainly one of those aspects. So are alligators, Pirate lore, tropical flora, etc.

When it's finally completed, I hope the Riverwalk will be something so unique to Tampa with features that you could never find in Chattanooga, San Antonio, or the other cities that are cited as reference points on this project.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM   #4
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 17

I as well think that a themed Riverwalk would be too, how do I choose this wisely, umm, well it would be kind of displaying only one of the many heritages that make up the melting pot of Florida. I think that if they were going to do a Spanish theme, then they should do an Italian, French, Dutch, and so on and so forth. I think that a section, like others have said, could be devoted to Spanish heritage.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #5
CBR3

Likes (Received): 0

Does Spain's riverwalk have a Tampa theme??? Do something original, don't make it a contrived, phony theme park.
CBR3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #6
tampamobster21

Well I think that Tampa and all American cities for that matter should make an effort to share its heritage, good or bad, because in this age cities (some) are making the move up and getting rid of the old and bringing in the new. Although when they do that they take away the past and the history is lost to those of the past. Case in point...Tampa with the mob. It basically built the city. If we were going to have a theme at all I think actually be contemporary, personally I like contempo design.
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Tampa on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR3
Does Spain's riverwalk have a Tampa theme??? Do something original, don't make it a contrived, phony theme park.
I dont want it all spainish.lol But have some vendors with even carts that has Tampa's cuisine all along the river like say on the nights and weekends.

Kinda like New York-Chicago-Philly they serve up some of the best city streets food you could only imagine how great it is to go and get a hotdog-polish dog , maybe a slice of pizza..
I can see cafe's and coffee shops, tatoo parlors, art venues, even pubs and outdoor drinking areas..

Make it happen TAMPA by Superbowl time 2009...
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #8
tampamobster21

I can not wait to see what is going to be coming downtown when Skypoint is built. I will definitely be downtown more often at night. Without the hobos of course.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #9
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
I heard Madrid was doing a Tampa theme project.

The reason they want to do a Spanish theme, is because of our history and we were founded by Spaniards, so it would be smart to put them in our Riverwalk. Tampians didn't find Spain, did they?

I agree, it would look a little chessy if we have a section for every history on the Riverwalk. One or two would be fine
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #10
tampamobster21

I would have to agree. (I heard Madrid was doing a Tampa theme project.) Great comment.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #11
biga1968
Big "A" 1968

No Spanish theme. Not all the people that live in Tampa are from Cuban descent. Hell...I said about 80% of us that live here are from the north or from another countries. Displaying Spanish theme will elinate the other majority or minority groups.
biga1968 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #12
zerobullchip
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biga1968
No Spanish theme. Not all the people that live in Tampa are from Cuban descent. Hell...I said about 80% of us that live here are from the north or from another countries. Displaying Spanish theme will elinate the other majority or minority groups.
There are now more puerto ricans (read: americans) in the region than cubans.
zerobullchip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #13
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 413

Italy?Mini Leaning Tower? England? Mini Big Ben? China? Communist.......Great Wall?

What all great ideas, but maybe for a theme park. Thinking about it, I would rather have a nice, layed back Riverwalk that brings out the beauty of Tampa. Have a couple restaurants and cafes, but leave it with the benches and nice trees and............ what the heck, I hate the design already.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #14
Tampa on the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biga1968
I am a native Tampanian and would just like to see some of the old Tampa brought back.. The cuisine-cigars just something..

I want it to be Americana as well..
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #15
smiley

Likes (Received): 103

Here's an idea - burn the silly renderings and the $40 mil price tag. Next, build a walkway next to the river - with some nice pavers, landscaping, and lighting. Then, let there be restaurants and stores next to the walkway. Then add some access from the main streets. Then, build a pedestrian bridge to Bayshore or make a good sidewalk on the bridges already there. Then let people walk. I have no idea why this concept is so hard for all involved.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM   #16
tampamobster21

I thought it might be cool if the city were to build like pedestrian bridges across the Hillsborough River, downtown of course.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #17
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Does Spain's riverwalk have a Tampa theme???
That would be one giant riverwalk.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #18
tampamobster21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK4
That would be one giant riverwalk.
Explain please.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #19
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamobster21
Explain please.
Spain is a rather large country with a huge coast.

Make the riverwalk a ethnicity theme with culture from many different countries if you want to have a culture theme. But even that would be very crappy. If they have a Spanish restraunt I'd be happy. I just want something original and modern.
FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #20
tampamobster21

Me as well. I think it should highlight the class of Tampa, well parts.

Tags
downtown tampa