daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa Bay Area

Tampa Bay Area Includes Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus Counties » Transportation and Infrastructure

Old July 24th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Del Mayberry

Likes (Received): 121

TAMPA | Downtown - Morgan/Whiting/Jefferson/Selmon block development | Residential | Proposed

Another apartment planned for DT....

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...etches-11.html

Looks like it's very close to Vinik's property.
Del Mayberry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
densitymatters

Likes (Received): 203

Isn't this the same development??

http://tbo.com/news/business/residen...ampa-20140228/
densitymatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 604

^Yeah, but it looks like they have changed the design, and downsized it from an already disappointing 7 floors to just 5 floors.

If it's still at the previously estimated 350 units, then that isn't too bad for a 4 acre site.

But I really would have thought this sort of large, contiguous site would be developed in 2-3 phases, and ultimately have a much higher intensity of development with a mix of uses.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #4
USF802

Likes (Received): 114

How often is it, that the actual parking garage is taller than the actual development? The TBO article originally stated that this development would have 7 stories of residential units, as the conceptual rendering showed. I wonder if the TBBJ meant 7 story residence, 5 story garage? It just seems odd that the parking garage would be 2 floors higher than the actual residence.
USF802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Del Mayberry

You're right. I think they have it bacwards (hopefully). And hopefully it would blend in with Vinik's plans.
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Jasonhouse

If the garage has a small footprint, or if 1-2 of the building's lower floors had tall ceilings, then the garage would have more floors to wind up the same height as the apartment building. (which I presume at least wraps the garage, and isn't cheaply plopped down next to it)

Also keep in mind that they could be intending to add more spaces than are needed, with the expectation they would be leased to a 3rd party? Not sure why they would be doing that when there are other public garages nearby that have lots of availability.

It's probably just the typical mistake by reporters these days.
Old July 24th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #7
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 636

Changed the thread title for now to lessen confusion of where this development is located.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Havatampa

Likes (Received): 12

If I were them, I'd consider putting the parking garage between the expressway and the apartments to help block the traffic noise. As for the height, not a huge deal to me. Tampa needs more affordable downtown residential. You would think the cost of these 350 units should be significantly lower than the cost of the roughly 350 units in the Straz tower. Living here in Austin, there are quite a few apartments in the 5 to 10 story range downtown and they mix in fine with the taller ones.

Brian72 liked this post
Havatampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #9
densitymatters

Yeah hopefully it's 7 stories and not just 5 and yeah hopefully there is a couple retail spots built in to accommodate for future growth, but even if it is just 5 stories and single use only, the fact that it would bring 500+ residents to what's currently the epicenter of sprawling residential dead zone would be an accomplishment its own. As long as the apartments wrap the garage keeping it hidden and isn't an architecturally void box I'm more than happy.

Whats interesting is the old article mentions a 5 million dollar purchase of land from one property owner while the new article talks about an 11 million dollar total purchase that involved 2 sellers.. maybe the developers expanded there initial plans to increase the total units or, on the other hand, maybe they bought more land just to save money building the same amount of units but with 2 less floors

It would be really awesome if the developers had some ambition and had planned phases. Phase 1 would be the 350 apartments on 5 floors occupying the rectangular section of the land. Phase 2 would add a slim 12 to 20 story condo tower on each triangular plot of the property. All units could share the garage

koopalicious, Jasonhouse liked this post
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #10
densitymatters

Quote:
Jennings said Richman’s infrastructure site plan, submitted earlier this year, shows a $35 million, five-story apartment complex with a seven-story parking garage planned for the site.
This comment makes me think that the reporter made an error and it is still 7 stories because it refers to the site plan earlier this year and that site plan was 7 stories..
Old July 24th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #11
Jasonhouse

^I think you're totally right. Good catch
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #12
FloridaFuture
Former Mod

Likes (Received): 175

Rendering from the old TBO article:

FloridaFuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #13
koopalicious

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havatampa View Post
Tampa needs more affordable downtown residential. You would think the cost of these 350 units should be significantly lower than the cost of the roughly 350 units in the Straz tower. Living here in Austin, there are quite a few apartments in the 5 to 10 story range downtown and they mix in fine with the taller ones.
Looked at in isolation, I imagine they will be cheaper as well, but in the context of the whole of Downtown, 350 units over four acres is less beneficial than 350 units on one or two acres.
koopalicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #14
Jasonhouse

^The plus here is helping fill in a dead zone, but if it isn't filled in with something that can at least adapt to a more developed downtown later on, then it will simply become a different kind of dead zone.
Old July 25th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #15
Brian72

Likes (Received): 191

Anyone have any idea how they buildings would be plotted?

What is going to happen with Bell Street and is Jefferson the actual east border?

This place would be plenty active street-side considering the amount of residents, its the vacant lots and the Whiting garage that will keep this area a dead zone. Perhaps the small Whiting garage could be replaced with a mixed use to compensate, by then there would be enough nearby residents.

Is the Whiting garage public or private?
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #16
Del Mayberry

Since it's side by side (horizontal) I think it would be parallel to Whiting.
Isn't Bell kind of useless?
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Jasonhouse

IIRC correctly, Bell is just an easement for an alleyway, and would be easy to have vacated. (It's not an actual street owned by the city or county)

Here's an outline of the exact site I believe they have assembled.

According to the details Bizjournals gives*, they did not acquire the land fronting Whiting, so my guess is that's actually the side the garage's ass will face in one way or another.

(*Bizjournals said they bought land from two sellers and their holdings are 4 acres MOL. If they had bought everything fronting Whiting too, that would involve 4 sellers and 5 acres MOL)

Last edited by Jasonhouse; July 25th, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:19 PM   #18
Jasonhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFuture View Post
Rendering from the old TBO article:

I'm pretty sure that this view is looking SE across Morgan St. It looks like either that's the leasing office on the ground floor, or more hopefully, it's a slightly elevated space for a nice cafe to have some outdoor seating. Either use would make sense on that side, next to the garage.

My question though... What's in the big hole at ground level farther down the building? I'm thinking maybe it's a pass through to the inner courtyard? (If it's encircled by apartments and the garage as I'm guessing it is, then it needs some way for service crews to get in there)

Last edited by Jasonhouse; July 25th, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:24 PM   #19
HARTride 2012
Tampa Bay Area Mod

Likes (Received): 636

http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...-forum/2195584
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:55 AM   #20
Jasonhouse

I think you meant to put that in a different thread?