daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1
SELondoner

Likes (Received): 12

Helix London | Poplar | 127m/108m | 35/29 fl | Approved

News in The Wharf this week that Trafalgar Way Ltd are proposing 2 new Make-designed 36-floor towers on the site of McDonald's in Trafalgar Way, immediately south of Aspen Way just at the NE corner of the Canary Wharf Estate.

"The project, designed by architects Make, will feature two 36-storey residential towers linked by a series of "sky-gardens", enclosed glass residents-only walkways snaking between the buildings. They will sit on a podium containing a creche, a multi-sports centre, retail units and a McDonald's restaurant. A planning application has yet to be submitted."

Sadly the scheme was exhibited yesterday and this morning but I didn't know about it until I read the Wharf when I got home, and I even walked past the exhibition site.

If anyone went to the exhibition or can find more details, please post.
SELondoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Likes (Received): 0

Interesting news indeed. Gonna help to extend the Canary Wharf skyscrapers to the north east of the estate. Hopefully the design won't be as council housing style as the nearby Elektron Towers and the Gateway

Last edited by ibiza; November 17th, 2007 at 08:02 PM.
ibiza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 238

Good find...someone suggested this site was ripe for development

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
london lad

Likes (Received): 452

Its a shame the IC Wharf doesn't put all its stories in The Wharf online- Would've licked to see what Make have proposed as I've been looking forward for them to get a tall project going in London. There was a scoping application on the site at the beginning of summer so a planning application can't be that far behind.

There seems to be real impetus these days in the docklands for high rises with ever taller proposals in both offices & Resi's coming out the woodwork which will only increase as high rises become further excepted & indeed almost the norm for the area.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
- Would've licked to see what Make have proposed .....

I wouldnt have gone that far myself...

Seriously though, once the next major office cycle comes round again there will be a real impetus to build taller office buildings around here too...plus a professional manpower pool in al those resis.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #6
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Its a shame the IC Wharf doesn't put all its stories in The Wharf online- Would've licked to see what Make have proposed as I've been looking forward for them to get a tall project going in London. There was a scoping application on the site at the beginning of summer so a planning application can't be that far behind.

There seems to be real impetus these days in the docklands for high rises with ever taller proposals in both offices & Resi's coming out the woodwork which will only increase as high rises become further excepted & indeed almost the norm for the area.
funny, was going to complain about the same thing. Also read their online local headlines every week and was annoyed they missed out the Trafalgar Way proposal there as would have been interested to see the exhibition as well, guess the article was too small for "headlines". Usually there's all the local skyscraper news covered there, eg. this week a story on Wood Wharf...

http://icthewharf.icnetwork.co.uk/thewharf/headlines/
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #7
london lad

Yeah its a shame as the papers pretty good if you work in CW & usually has some images something their website lack.
Old November 20th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #8
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 15

I don't get it. How exactly on Trafalgar way is that gonna stand on? I mean the Mac D site is tiny.
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #9
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
I don't get it. How exactly on Trafalgar way is that gonna stand on? I mean the Mac D site is tiny.
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|trafalgar%20way,%20london
the site is the one between Aspen way and Trafalgar way. Actually it's quite a bit bigger compared to the site of the Gateway (where also 2 towers are rising) which is above this one on the map and on the right of Poplar business park.

You have to consider the parking space which makes up most of the property at the moment
Old November 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM   #10
nowvoyeurger
that day approaches ...

any renders anyone?
nowvoyeurger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM   #11
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

wheres the actual site?just outside the main cluster??
sam-whit-kid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM   #12
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1778

Who would want to live in a place surrounded by busy roads?Well I wouldnt...

Old November 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM   #13
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1588

Only a fool would buy an apartment in the north side of this tower.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM   #14
london lad

Wouldn't the new footbridge over Apsen Way be somewhere near here? That might go some way to hiding the traffic. Such a shame It was found out too late - would've been nice to get pics from the exhibition.
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM   #15
SELondoner

The footbridge would be to the east of the roundabout, so wouldn't do a great deal for this site, and the DLR would require use of the not-so-great subways. It's a short (if currently windswept) walk to Canary Wharf proper mind.
SELondoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:13 AM   #16
Horizon911

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Who would want to live in a place surrounded by busy roads?Well I wouldnt...]
It is pretty ghastly being right next to a major road, but it's location, location, location. This site is near CW.

As with all residential towers, these towers do not create communities. But, they do give bankers a convenient home mondays to fridays before popping off to their country retreats at the weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
The developers could easily put up a wall of large lime trees or something to create some sort of barrier between the roads and flats. It would be pretty grim waking up and looking out at a motorway every morning. Much prefer looking at nice trees. The Ontario towers site could also do with such a green barrier too.
Horizon911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 02:10 AM   #17
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
well, the north view certainly is less impressive for many reasons compared to the river/canary wharf/cityviews the other directions have to offer, but if you've ever been up a skyscraper you will remember that the immediate neighbourhood becomes less and less important the higher you get. The view will be horrible indeed for the first few floors - and that's why most of this developments "brush up" their application profil by providing "affordable housing" around the lower levels so they improve their chances to get building permits by the council - but above a certain level you simply won't notice the highway anymore which is so far below you but rather just take in the widescale views this higher levels can offer
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #18
Trances
, , and , Fade to Black.

Likes (Received): 19

Um dont roads mean good access ? Traffic noise is a problem anywhere ! I think this minior issues has been answered
Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM   #19
Cabman
Do A Little Dance

If you look at some developments that have been built alongside major roads recently they have used a number of ways to lessen the impact of traffic noise and pollution.
On the A12 at Old Ford some houses have been built alongside the road where there used to be a disused car park. The houses have been built with one huge wall running the length of the terrace with just a single bathroom window the road side of the houses. On the A40 Westway at Acton where the land was cleared for widening before the scheme was abandoned there are a number of new blocks of flats. The same small window only on the road side has been used. This development has the main entrance, stairs and all individual front doors also on the road side enclosed within a communul glazed area. Larger windows and I presume balconies as I haven't seen the rear would face the other way. The Electron towers also face partially away from Aspen Way.
I see no reason why good architecture couldn't lessen the impact of Aspen Way and make this a desirable location to live given its proximity to the wharf.
Old November 22nd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #20
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2567

ok here's what ive found out about the scheme from a little bird. there's two towers, one taller than the other so presumably not 36 floors each. they are linked by a bridge similar to a shape of a sine wave. the cladding is dominated by metal with vertical patterns cut through some of the cladding. no pics however i'm afraid which is a bit annoying but c'est la vie. i'm sure we'll see soon enough.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: