daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: If Spurs have to groundshare for a season, which stadium should they use?
Wembley 60 43.80%
Emirates Stadium 18 13.14%
Stadium MK 22 16.06%
Olympic Stadium 37 27.01%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #21
JimB

Likes (Received): 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
JimB, those renders were done by a Spurs fan based on the above image. They are a mock-up, nothing more.
Just to clarify:

Do you know that to be a fact?

Or is it simply your educated opinion?

I can't decide whether they are genuine or not. Obviously, they are very basic renders. But there is enough detail and complexity in them to believe that they are beyond being the work of a mere gifted amateur.
JimB está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #22
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 1915

Looks like Sketchup

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #23
RobH

Likes (Received): 1862

I know that to be fact Jim. They were mocked-up by a member of the COYS forum. Here's the link to the thread:

http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/index...ic=77091&st=60

(you might have to register to see the thread)
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #24
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I know that to be fact Jim. They were mocked-up by a member of the COYS forum. Here's the link to the thread:

http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/index...ic=77091&st=60

(you might have to register to see the thread)
Okay. Cheers, mate.

Delighted, to be honest. Not much architectural merit to commend in those renders!
Old November 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #25
EADGBE
Laugh it up, fuzzball

Likes (Received): 1

The interior looks like it'll be reminiscent of the Allianz interior.

Wonder if the exterior will be anything like as distinctive?
EADGBE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #26
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

We don't even know yet whether these are the genuine plans for Spurs' new stadium. Spurs say that they are considering a number of different options. There may be other designs. There may be other locations.

In fact, if the Guardian is to be believed today, Spurs are having second thoughts about committing to a totally new stadium - supposedly because of the recent dramatic rise in the cost of borrowing. The paper claims that Spurs are now looking at more modest proposals, which would involve only redeveloping the West stand and increasing capacity to 45,000 or so.

Hope that this story is as wildly inaccurate as most other stories about Spurs in the press!
Old December 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM   #27
Benn

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post

It shouldn't look much like Allianz, the roof is floating on pillars and has convex curvatures inside as well as out. The stands run even around and the tiers canteliver quite a bit. I don't know that it would be particularly destinctive, but not much like Allianz, If this is the plan they go ahead with.
Benn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #28

Saw this in the clubs annual report from a couple of months ago.

"Review of stadium options is now substantially complete and a limited
number of potential sites have been identified in the London Boroughs
of Enfield and Haringey including the expansion possibilities of the
existing stadium"

So they're not too far away from making a decision, I know they said they'll make a decision by June 31st 2008, it's just usually they said a date and never kept to it.
2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #29

Here's a rumour from a Spurs forum.

Quote:
As always, take or leave as you want, however something interesting regarding stadium plans I thought I'd share

Latest news is that the Industrial Park half way down Northumberland Park, halfway between the High Road and Worcester Ave (behind Paxton Road) has all but been bought up by the club. Planning permission has now been submitted to Haringay Council for two stadium designs with 55,000 and 62,000 capacity. Two have been submitted as funding has yet to be finalised so the club is not sure which option it can afford. Believe the preference is for 62,000 but they're covering their bases.

Apparently the council is desparate to keep us in the area (after various threats to flounce off elsewhere) so may look on the applications favourably as there would be improved links to the North Circ/ M25 and Northumberland Park and Tottenham Hale would be nearer. The club and Council are also applying pressure to TFL to extend the tube.

One of the architects responsible for the Deathstar (Emirates Stadium) has been employed as poroject manager (think this is general knowledge already)

Once the new stadium is built WHL would be redeveloped into a leisure park/ bars and car parking for the new stadium.

This way we can continue the play at the lane whilst the new one is built in exactly the same way as the filth did with the library. The club has also been busy buying all the property around the ground.

The club is due to make an announcement with plans by the end of April
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #30
veronika

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 View Post
Here's a rumour from a Spurs forum.
Did anyone post deathstar in Stadium and arena nicknames?
veronika no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #31
Kobo

Likes (Received): 11

Also quite funny the new ground could be marginally bigger with 1500 more seats. Just to piss off Arsenal.
Kobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #32
Ni3lS
Mod

Likes (Received): 1544

Good news for Tottenham Hotspur

Please like my Facebook PAGE and check out my latest work :)
FLICKR: [2013] > London, Rotterdam, Pula, Krka, Dalmatia, Austria, Salzburg, Alps, Berlin, Dresden, Trier, Vienna, Bratislava, Munich, Ljubljana, Slovenia
[2014] > Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp, Maastricht, Paris, Corrèze, Limoges, Paris(2)
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #33

If it's true then it would be great news but at this moment in time it's just a rumour.
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:53 PM   #34
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 9

Considering the highest level of prices in London, it's almost impossible for Tottenham to build brand new stadium with 60K capacity. Maybe it would be possible after Bill Gates took over the club.
Carrerra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 02:25 AM   #35
GTown
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

not if you do a sweet deal with the local council or the GLA
GTown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM   #36
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Considering the highest level of prices in London, it's almost impossible for Tottenham to build brand new stadium with 60K capacity.
Not really.

A top quality, new 60K stadium could be built for £250 million.

Spurs already own White Hart Lane and a lot of the land that surrounds the stadium. If they build the new stadium on land that they already own, they will not incur the sort of onerous added costs that Arsenal were subjected to when they bought the site at Ashburton Grove.

Spurs could do a deal, similiar to Arsenal's deal with Emirates, selling the naming rights to the new stadium (along with a set period of shirt sponsorship) for up to £100 million. Like the Emirates deal, the money would be paid up front.

So, even without diverting profits from player purchases to the stadium and without raising capital via a share issue, Spurs could build a 60K stadium while taking on no more than £150 million debt.

Let's make it hard for Spurs and assume a fixed interest rate at a punitive 10% over 20 years. That would mean annual repayments of just under £17.5 million.

Short of Spurs being relegated or the English public losing interest in football, a new 60K stadium would boost Tottenham's turnover by anything up to £45 million per annum. Even if we were to assume only a modest increase in attendances other than for the biggest games, turnover would increase by some £15-20 million.

And given that Spurs already achieve operating profits of some £30 million per annum with an inadequate capacity at the current stadium, there is plenty of scope to be able to absorb debt repayments of £17.5 million per annum.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM   #37

Up at 7am, out of the house at 7:45am and arriving at the British Museum at about 8:30am to be told that tickets to see the terracotta army on the day had already been sold, my best chance of getting some is getting there, by the lovely time of 7am tomorrow.

It was nearly 9am, having been stuck at home for ages whilst doing sweet FA for months, I thought to myself that I should go somewhere, see something in the flesh that I'd always wished to. The Emirates Stadium was the first thing that came to mind, as much as I hate Arsenal I have to admit that their new stadium is good, such a shame it's theirs but oh well, I like my stadiums and this is one I've wished to see for ages.

Although I knew I wasn't going to be allowed in I thought I might as well, also after seeing it and then seeing Highbury, I'll go somehwere much better, White Hart Lane Hopped onto the Piccadilly line to Holloway road.

If I'm completely honest, it's a master peice, it's somewhat simple whilst very well made. It did cost a lot but, as far I could see, the stadium is worth every penny. Due to the fact that their offices are outside of the stadium, it feels lifeless. There is no character, I fully agree with what people have said on that matter. Whilst I thought this I couldn't help but think that Tottenham will most probably end up with the same, a brilliant stadium worthy of UEFA 5 star rating but not really full of life. Still, as time goes on it will have more life injected to it

Was I jealous? In honesty not all, hugely impressed but not jealous, the same bloke that was in charge of this project is in charge of Tottenham's and the announcement on what they will be building will be made within the next three months, also we beat Arsenal 5-1 when we last played and we have a trophy. .

I noticed that the Clock that used to sit above the Clock End has been placed on the outside, the second I saw this I couldn't help but think of the rebuilding of the West Stand, when Spurs didn't place the cockeral on the new stand, this, as folk law goes, cursed the club, hopefully the same happens to Ar5ena1 *fingers crossed*

After having walked round it, looking at it from every angle, I wished there was more goons, I was very well dressed today and felt that I could get away with pretending to be on the phone to some talking about a mega bucks transer just to wind them up, but there was hardly anyone there.

Highbury was the next stop. Whilst I walked past the old East Stand, after stepping in a turd, something there is a lot of in that area, I couldn't help but think what a shame it was that Highbury is now dead, yes it was worth a giggal when the goons cried over it but from an impartial it was a great stadium, looked pretty decent and was toching distance from the pitch.

After that I got on the tube to Seven Sisters, then got the train to WHL. Before getting to the stadium, I looked at the area and thought this place isn't in need of regeneration, its on its knees blubbering like a baby begging for regeneration. It was the first time I'd been to WHL in about 2 and a half years. I went to the tempory ticket office. I asked the lady which tickets were availble, there and then I found out why Spurs are making sure that they build a bigger stadium within the next 4 years, she informed me that the next three home games have sold out! There is five or six weeks of the season left and there is no chance of me getting a a ticket, gutted.Reminds me of when I attempted to get tickets for the Reading game that ended 6-4, four or five weeks before the game and it was sold out.

After this I decided to go the main reception to ask about tours, as I pasted the barricade the woman in the box said "Can I help you love?" I asked about the stadium tours, she said there only done on weekends, which left very confused as to why, and there all booked up until late May. I asked if she had hear anything about the stadium, her reply was "The club are very tight lipped on things." She went onto say that there has been loads of contractors coming lately, so it sounds like things are being finalised for the stadium, and the club are on course to announce plans before the end of June.

As I walked onto the Paxton Road, I looked at the land that people have said Tottenham have recently bought up, I have to admit that whilst walking past the site I couldn't help but have my doubts because the idea would cost so much. There iss the cost of the site, knocking everything down and then the building work on the new stadium, we could be talking about the amount that Arsenal are currently paying their stadium. Also, why Spurs won't rebuild the West and East has left me flumexed, they could easily have a teir over hangingthe road and then the space behind the West Stand is huge, still it's best not to doubt a man with a degree in Econmics and Land Economy from Cambridge.

As I'm sure all regulars know, everything has been bought up outside of the West Stand, literally no life there at all, very much a case when will it all get knocked down not if.
I now can't wait until the club announces its plans but I can't help but think that whatever is built won't be in White Hart Lane, fingers crossed it is though.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM   #38
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 576

Some interesting comments. I'd long thought the club would have another go at expanding WHL before moving elsewhere. If this is not to be, then s**** have indeed been quietly moving finances about. Curious.

Firstly, according to some press reports like this one the profit margin may not be as rosy. Despite the admirable Ramos' efforts and noticable improvements the club must work with smaller guaranteed revenue streams than the likes of ManU and Chelsea. (Then again, everyone else in England does !)

Further, unless I'm mistaken the profit mentioned above isn't complete after taxes, let alone an indicator of annual range. If it were I imagined the club would've acted sooner in this measure, or spent more on some transfers.

The good thing is they have the benefit of learning lessons from other clubs experiences, especially Arsenal. For all the pleasure we Gooners take in seeing Emirates, I can't help but feel jealous of the new Kop conceived for Liverpool's projected new stadia, wish the stands were closer to the pitch, etc. I wish English clubs would foster areas that cater to standing, even if they must still have seats, similar to those in Germany. I'm sure Tottenham would try to take these things into account as best as able.

I'm dubious of the 60,000+ measure if only because every other mark I'd heard prior to this ranged from 45-55k. This isn't a rivalry thing but a notion that the same size restriction that is keeping WHL nearly full and sold out now is something the club would surely like to continue.

Right then. I'm off.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:07 PM   #39
JimB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
[Firstly, according to some press reports like this one the profit margin may not be as rosy.
That report, for the six months to December 31st 2007, shows profits to be down on profits for the same period in the previous year. They were down for a specific reason - namely, compensation to Martin Jol and for Juande Ramos. Nevertheless, profits were still a very healthy £10 million. And given the success in the Carling Cup, profits look to be on course, yet again, to exceed £25 million for the financial year.

Quote:
Further, unless I'm mistaken the profit mentioned above isn't complete after taxes, let alone an indicator of annual range. If it were I imagined the club would've acted sooner in this measure, or spent more on some transfers.
All financial reports are "pre tax". I don't see what point you're trying to make.

Quote:
I'm dubious of the 60,000+ measure if only because every other mark I'd heard prior to this ranged from 45-55k. This isn't a rivalry thing but a notion that the same size restriction that is keeping WHL nearly full and sold out now is something the club would surely like to continue.
Possibly. I think it more likely, however, that Spurs' primary concern is to maximize income, even if it means that some seats remain unsold for some games. Whether they have judged the optimum capacity to be 50K, 55K or 60K remains a secret.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #40
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
All financial reports are "pre tax". I don't see what point you're trying to make.
Merely suggesting that the entire allotment of profits may not be available for stadium expenses due to other obligations, such as taxes. If s**** wish to retain some of that profit for liquidity's sake, player transfers, etc, that would also reduce the volume of such funds towards construction. That's all I'm saying, that it's not as simple as saying there'll regularly be 20-30M in profits to be redirected towards the stadium.

Trust me, as a fan of a club known for thriftiness there's always some excuse available for why profits need to be redirected from where you think they should go.

Quote:
Possibly. I think it more likely, however, that Spurs' primary concern is to maximize income, even if it means that some seats remain unsold for some games. Whether they have judged the optimum capacity to be 50K, 55K or 60K remains a secret.
I agree that's possible, but many clubs are learning the value of maintaining high demand for tickets. Even lofty Liverpool is restraining from pushing the 70k barrier because they don't want to see empty seats. Better to maintain that waiting list for season tickets (itself a source of revenue) then to simply fill the large bowl when the big names come to town (a la Italian clubs). I think Juve's plans for a 40-45k stadium are a prime example of that. They could easily fill 70k for matches with Milan, Inter, Roma, etc, but it would be a cavernous void against the likes Atalanta or Verona, and that would detract from the value of season packages or prime seats.

Tags
england, soccer