daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2181
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
You know they don't mean the whole tower with that right?
The whole South Tower will be completed in 2015.

i know, but to think that even the superstructure will be done at that time is crazy.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #2182
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

This means that One57 is taller than the Shard by 1 foot, no?
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2183
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

From ground to top it is. But officially not.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:31 AM   #2184
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

But then a 1 story house on top of Mt. Everest would be over 26,000 feet taller than the Burj.

Manitopiaaa, NYCrulz liked this post
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #2185
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
But then a 1 story house on top of Mt. Everest would be over 26,000 feet taller than the Burj.

This. Buildings are measured from the lowest open air entrance to the architectural top. In the case of the Shard, I assume that entrance is at ground level.

Observatories I hope to go to in the future: Willis Tower Skydeck, John Hancock Center, At the Top (Burj Khalifa), One World Trade Center, The View The Shard, Hudson Yards
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #2186
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Then the height will most likely change just as did Sears' a while back.

Quote:
The Franklin Street entrance is 4 feet (1.2 meters) lower than the main entrance on Wacker Drive, for this reason the height of the tower was listed as 1,454 feet (443 meters) for many years, the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat measures height from the main entrance and thus the official measurement now stands at 1,450 feet (442 meters)
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #2187
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

as long as everything will be alright with economy and all - I can foresee this to become a very popular place in the end.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

simondk, jackedi07 liked this post
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #2188
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Related, Amtrak To Construct Box For Rail Tunnel Between Manhattan And NJ

curbed

Quote:
Related Companies and Amtrak have agreed to begin work on a new rail tunnel between New Jersey and Manhattan, the New York Post reported.

Construction on the 800-foot-long “box tunnel” will begin this summer right under Related’s Hudson Yards megaproject and is expected to cost between $120 and $150 million, primarily funded by federal dollars. Sen. Chuck Schumer, who championed the deal, told the Post that it marked “a red-letter day for the future of New York-New Jersey mass transit.” He recognized the agreement as a commitment to a new tunnel for the first time since New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie nixed plans for a $15 billion four-track project in 2010.

The box tunnel cannot be used for train transportation at first; instead, it will serve as a shell for the Manhattan end of the future Hudson tunnel that Amtrak intends to building in the future, as well as for the proposed Moynihan Station.

The box will hold the space for a rail link between the future Hudson tunnel and existing tracks at Penn Station — and for the proposed Moynihan Station if it’s ever built. The construction of the box tunnel was pressing because it could not be carried out once Related had built a deck over the rail yard.

Hudson Yards has been pushing hard to woo corporate tenants and is building a 900-foot, 1.7 million-square-foot office tower that will be the headquarters of Coach.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/303039989

Last edited by desertpunk; July 21st, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2189
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

New Renders Of The Hudson Yards Culture Shed Coming In 2017

Eastern37, Eric Offereins, Swiddle liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #2190
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1279

seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM   #2191
simondk

Likes (Received): 2809

Awesome
simondk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:55 PM   #2192
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28342

That is a very nice hall. I like the structure.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 01:57 PM   #2193
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 89

This looks like such an amazing project, so futuristic, it will change the NY skyline immensly! Extremely beautiful design, I really hope it remains intact and there are no changes.
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #2194
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://newyork.construction.com/new_...f-new-york.asp

Seeking to Capture the Heart of New York

03/01/2013
By Carolina Worrell

Quote:
Opinions may differ on where the heart of New York is, but two developers have set out to make a 26-acre site on Manhattan's West Side a serious contender for the title. The developers, Related Cos. and Oxford Properties Group, have big plans for Hudson Yards, a $15-billion, mixed-use development that will be built on a platform over the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's (MTA) Eastern and Western rail yards. The project, which will span 10 to 12 years, is the largest undeveloped property in Manhattan and the largest private development in New York City since Rockefeller Center.

"Some people consider Rockefeller Center the heart of New York or midtown," says Jay Cross, president of Related Hudson Yards, which is leading Related's development efforts. "But there is enough scale to the [13-million-sq-ft project] that we can really shift the heart of New York."

With the No. 7 Line extension now under way, which will bring subway service close to the area, and a link to the High Line, an elevated freight rail line that has been converted into a park, Hudson Yards provides "a broad palette to build a new community," Cross says.

The JV is seeking to establish a new "right-out-of-the-box" neighborhood, Cross says. "People want something that has a sense of completion about it." To achieve this, the JV aims to have the four towers on the Eastern Rail Yard portion of the site under way by 2014, targeting completion of this portion in 2018. Cross says that each of these towers will have a different use—one commercial office; one commercial office-retail; one office-retail-residential; and one luxury residential—so that they will not compete with each other in the marketplace.

The Eastern Rail Yard consists of the Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates-designed South and North towers, the latter of which is expected to break ground this year; the David M. Childs and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed E tower; the Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Rockwell Group-designed culture tower, both of which are scheduled to break ground in 2014; the Elkus Manfredi Architects-designed retail space; and the Diller Scofidio + Renfro and Rockwell Group-designed culture shed.

No startup dates have been set for the second phase of the project, the Western Rail Yard. This phase will include the West tower, the school and residential and retail space.

At Hudson Yards, Tishman is working with Related as a non-equity partner, assisting with cost strategy to acquire the tenants needed to move the project forward, Badame says.

Some 80% of the space in the 1.7-million-sq-ft South tower has been committed so far, and the developers are in talks with four to five potential tenants for the North tower, Cross says. Once tenants are secured, work can begin on the platform and the North tower, he adds.Tishman is also assisting in obtaining trades and on project labor agreements. It was, in fact, a year-long negotiation of labor agreements that contributed to a delay of the first tower's start date, although it is still on track for completion in 2015, Cross says. Other contributors to the delay were rezoning of a portion of the project in 2009 and the fact that "as the project continued to be marketed, Related had to respond to the needs of tenants, leading to the constant evolution of design," Cross says.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #2195
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Thanks for that article.

This is incredibly exciting project. As the article states above the developers seem to have no problem at all getting tenant commitments and I can certainly understand why. The developers outlined a clear plan on when all the phases will be completed.

This brings me to the whole WTC complex. There is uncertainty as far as when all the phases will be completed. We all know Silverstein will build the other towers but when??

This is the problem with the way Silverstein is going about it in my opinion. He should just start with the construction with the other towers because we all know he will eventually fill out the buildings as far as vacancy. Start to complete all the phases of the project instead of doing it in pieces and market the whole shebang!

If I’m a prospective tenant I may select another area in the city because construction on that site will be never ending. As a prospective tenant I may prefer to hold offices in Tower 2 vs. Tower 1 but if there is nothing happening as far as construction then how would I commit to Tower 2 if that is my preference?

Anyway it’s just my Two Cents!
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2196
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Thanks for that article.

This is incredibly exciting project. As the article states above the developers seem to have no problem at all getting tenant commitments and I can certainly understand why. The developers outlined a clear plan on when all the phases will be completed.

This brings me to the whole WTC complex. There is uncertainty as far as when all the phases will be completed. We all know Silverstein will build the other towers but when??...

The difference is that Silverstein is not leasing at cost. Related is.
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #2197
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I did not know that. That is a big difference. Thanks

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #2198
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Silverstein only needs to charge $60 a square foot for the 400k pre-lease committment to get 3WTC funded. Which is comparable to what is priced at HY. 2WTC is another story though.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #2199
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Silverstein only needs to charge $60 a square foot for the 400k pre-lease committment to get 3WTC funded. Which is comparable to what is priced at HY. 2WTC is another story though.
Plus Larry seeks way more than $60 for the rest of T3. He wants to make a lot of sheckels.
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2200
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

Sorry if this have already been posted but I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLedC...098F275D9559B0
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street