daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #2261
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I think that one will be under ground, in a cilindrical hole and filled with concrete.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2262
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

How deep is the bedrock here? At the WTC site they dug down to the bedrock for the foundations, but they may need piles here?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #2263
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Winoc labeled this composite of 3 maps I made.

http://i.imgur.com/KPuGIF0.jpg

Hudson is the one with all the trees while brookfield is to the east.
This is a really helpful diagram.

I'm curious, what do we know about the site between Hudson Yards and Manhattan West, that you have labeled "megatall in 10 years?" Is there something about that site in particular that is conducive to building one? Or is it just hopeful speculation?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2264
tim1807
faster than buildings

Now there is the eyesore Westyard Distribution Center, and I believe it won't stand very long anymore, it will either be restored or demolished.
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #2265
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
This is a really helpful diagram.

I'm curious, what do we know about the site between Hudson Yards and Manhattan West, that you have labeled "megatall in 10 years?" Is there something about that site in particular that is conducive to building one? Or is it just hopeful speculation?
Like I said, I didn't label it. I managed to find Walpoles post though. Hopefully he can chime with how likely that is to happen.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=650

" It could build four residential/hotel towers with a lot of retail and gobble up 4m of the roughly 5.4m sf on the site, and then transfer the remaining 1.4m sf to the contiguous 450 W 33rd St site where it already controls about 2m sf. With 3.4m sf on that site, maybe NY one day will get its first 600m+ tower in 10 years."
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2266
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

This view from the Empire State Building will eventually be views of the Manhattan West towers, Hudson North, South Towers and whole Hudson Yards shabang.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpeicthus/118838216/

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; March 16th, 2013 at 12:46 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #2267
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Aren't those kind that are buried all the way into the bedrock?
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #2268
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Like I said, I didn't label it. I managed to find Walpoles post though. Hopefully he can chime with how likely that is to happen.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=650

" It could build four residential/hotel towers with a lot of retail and gobble up 4m of the roughly 5.4m sf on the site, and then transfer the remaining 1.4m sf to the contiguous 450 W 33rd St site where it already controls about 2m sf. With 3.4m sf on that site, maybe NY one day will get its first 600m+ tower in 10 years."
Right. If you can believe it, close reading is a fundamental part of my job. End of the week, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for digging that up, that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I find the combining of these sites and transferring of air rights to make these megaprojects happen really fascinating. And I think that, if New York is going to get a megatall someday, that's a beautiful site for it. If it's centered between the North and South HY towers, it would create this awesome spiral, a lot like the big 3 in Shanghai.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #2269
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
I think that one will be under ground, in a cilindrical hole and filled with concrete.
Looks like rebar for a cast-in-situ pile.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #2270
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

I think that's what he was trying to say. I thought most towers here were built straight on top of the bedrock.
In that case you don't need these piles.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #2271
McSky

Likes (Received): 1880

I didn't realize that there was rooftop space like this on 450 W 33rd, just across 10th Avenue from these towers.

Last edited by McSky; March 17th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #2272
tim1807
faster than buildings

Me neither, that's on the Manhattan West side. At least one + for that thing.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2273
McSky

Google Maps has an incorrect location for the Manhattan West project (red arrow below), placing it right where the main Hudson Yards towers will go. Actual site of the Manhattan West project is indicated by the yellow arrow, with 450 W 33rd indicated by the blue arrow for reference, as it is so prominent in photos of the area.

EDIT: Corrected version:

Note: you can also see the location of the GiraSole Tower, on 11th Avenue between 34th and 35th. Seven huge towers are going up very close to each other.

tim1807, Eric Offereins liked this post

Last edited by McSky; March 17th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #2274
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Very helpful. Thanks.
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2275
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Deleted
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2276
RobertWalpole
BANNED

[QUOTE=RobertWalpole;101344977][QUOTE=McSky;101343185]
Deleted
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #2277
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post

Coach's current HQ is shown. I believe that Related acquired the right to develop it. That structure alone has over 2 m sf of development rights, and the largely empty adjacent lots have millions more. The same is true with Sherwoods site to the north. Both of these sites could accomodate towers of 600m+. In about 15 years, when this area has come into its prime,it will happen.

fox7 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #2278
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
I didn't realize that there was rooftop space like this on 450 W 33rd, just across 10th Avenue from these towers.

The reason open rooftop spaces like that are small and pretty rare in NYC is because they are unusable for about 7 months out of the year, but they are pretty neat when you get to have regular access...

And, there is no hudson yards district, the neighborhood is called hell's kitchen. Don't even get me started on that "flatiron district" horse manure conjured up by real estate agencies
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #2279
McSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
The reason open rooftop spaces like that are small and pretty rare in NYC is because they are unusable for about 7 months out of the year, but they are pretty neat when you get to have regular access...

And, there is no hudson yards district, the neighborhood is called hell's kitchen. Don't even get me started on that "flatiron district" horse manure conjured up by real estate agencies
I'd say the weather makes rooftops tricky for 5 months in NYC, not 7. And you can still find the odd nice day even in winter. Also, the lower rooftops are more pleasant than the highers ones when it comes to wind.

As far as the Hell's Kitchen name, the reasons behind that monicker (whichever one you want to believe) are receding ever more into the past, and the name really won't fit the rapidly gentrifying and developing area in years to come, especially in the Hudson Yards area. Actually, the "Hudson Yards" title has a very real and increasingly relevant claim. And "Hell's Kitchen" is generally taken as describing a much wider area, from 34th to 57th, from 8th to the Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27...hen,_Manhattan
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #2280
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
I'd say the weather makes rooftops tricky for 5 months in NYC, not 7. And you can still find the odd nice day even in winter. Also, the lower rooftops are more pleasant than the highers ones when it comes to wind.

As far as the Hell's Kitchen name, the reasons behind that monicker (whichever one you want to believe) are receding ever more into the past, and the name really won't fit the rapidly gentrifying and developing area in years to come, especially in the Hudson Yards area. Actually, the "Hudson Yards" title has a very real and increasingly relevant claim. And "Hell's Kitchen" is generally taken as describing a much wider area, from 34th to 57th, from 8th to the Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell%27...hen,_Manhattan
Oh, i'm a NYC tour guide, i know all about nice and not so nice days up there, it's about how the heat island effect plus other phenomena make weather anything over 50 feet above street level rather impossible to predict, including when it snows up instead of down, while it is rain to everyone down below!

Whether the "name fits the area" or not, that is the name of the neighborhood. To me, if someone said "i live in hudson yards" it would sound like they are a hobo hiding on a LIRR train, vs "i live west of penn station".

It is no secret that i despise all 3 of these projects, as all they will end up doing is making the shade and wind tunnel issues worse where they are all ready bad, plus putting pressure on an area of manhattan with very underdeveloped bus and subway service. The trees look nice, but we all know they will only be there for 5-6 years then they will put in something easier to care for.. Plus, the sidewalks in that area need fixing in spots, what about parking, what about degraded air quality, etc etc...? Don't get me wrong, i love great architecture and megaprojects and all that, this tome seems like a cockeyed plan to stuff towers into a location that at best culd support some highrises, and this is 12 years of firsthand observation talking... I just don't see these towers being a success, and you lose the chance to do some civic projects in the process.

I don't even like the design of the buildings, very unimaginative, if you're going to roll the dice on something like this, they will need to do better than some excruciatingly bland glass box. I mean just a few blocks away are a number of real gems - the mcgraw hill building, the empire state building, times square and all its (interesting) offerings. This just seems more like "oh.. no buildings there, lets think of something and put some here quick!". Wake me up when real architecture and design gets involved.....

Reducto liked this post
metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street