daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #221
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Well seeing a few of the more detailed renderings, I really like the look at the street level.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #222
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

This design doesn't impress much

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #223
snail456

Likes (Received): 1

for me this doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the NYC skyline. It sits very awkwardly with no other highrises close by, plus (I dont know if this is just the intension of the render or not) it stands out too much against the reds and browns of the buildings in the background, whereas if you take the World Trade Centre buildings as another example they fit in much better despite having a glass facade. Hope that makes sense.
snail456 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #224
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

I like the plans and I like that there is variety with the designs of the towers. But I do hope we can see renders of an urban public space as part of this. I know parks are important as well as utilizing the waterfront, but I do think a high quality urban public space that is more human scaled should be an important part of these plans.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #225
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail456 View Post
for me this doesn't fit in very well with the rest of the NYC skyline. It sits very awkwardly with no other highrises close by, plus (I dont know if this is just the intension of the render or not) it stands out too much against the reds and browns of the buildings in the background, whereas if you take the World Trade Centre buildings as another example they fit in much better despite having a glass facade. Hope that makes sense.
This is obviously not the final design, it's just the massing and layout of the site... however it's certainly better than the Tishman design.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #226
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by snail456 View Post
I'm sure the area will change. A lot of those reds and browns will probably make way for bigger buildings (at least in the direct proximity of the Hudson Yards) There's also a few more supertalls that will probably be constructed in the same area.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #227
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Well, if it's true that this is just a layout of buildings and has little to do with design, and I am sure it is, then I am also sure that there will be lots of changes, and just maybe the buildings were shown as short so that people don't complain, helping Related to win the bid, knowing that they would later explode the heights and sizes of their towers. It happened with other competitors. HY is bigger than just the part they were bidding for and buildings of any height are possible for the area.

Last edited by Ebola; May 28th, 2008 at 04:46 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #228
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

any more news? has a developer been chosen yet
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #229
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

i like almost all of these designs, i hope they start hurying up with this project
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #230
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrophagist View Post
if that's the current masterplan, it will be fine

PERFECT... BUILT IT!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #231
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240876

Looks interesting... Are they going to built those towers ?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #232
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Still not sold here. This will make the 7 line totally packed during peak hours, as if it needs to be more full of people. Also this will clog the 8th ave line (A,C,E). I also still am VERY curious as to how they will will support these huge heavy buildings over what is essentially a below grade rail yard with little space between tracks for support structures. I think it would essentially be a mega-truss situation similar to what's under the pan-am building, but i think even that situation hasn't much in common with the west side yard, because with GCT there are platforms and spaces between the tracks for workers to go and was engineered originally to work with building above. The yard on the other hand has very little space between and one platform used to crew trains.

-A
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #233
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

well this has to be done. Theres nothing left in manhattan. On the other hand there so much room left in nyc I say feel the whole city up with skyscrapers. Lets get it done.
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #234
metsfan
Photographer

Ok, just build a 400 storey monolith over the yard.

- A
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #235
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Still not sold here. This will make the 7 line totally packed during peak hours, as if it needs to be more full of people. Also this will clog the 8th ave line (A,C,E). I also still am VERY curious as to how they will will support these huge heavy buildings over what is essentially a below grade rail yard with little space between tracks for support structures. I think it would essentially be a mega-truss situation similar to what's under the pan-am building, but i think even that situation hasn't much in common with the west side yard, because with GCT there are platforms and spaces between the tracks for workers to go and was engineered originally to work with building above. The yard on the other hand has very little space between and one platform used to crew trains.

-A
If I had to guess I'd say that part of the platform construction would include the relocation of certain tracks to allow for the construction of mega columns that would hold up transfer trusses that would support the buildings above.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #236
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
If I had to guess I'd say that part of the platform construction would include the relocation of certain tracks to allow for the construction of mega columns that would hold up transfer trusses that would support the buildings above.
The problem is, that mid-day all of LIRR's yards are full. I am pretty sure that they cant afford to have even one track taken out, because it would reduce capacity at one of their 2 most important stops & what is effectively their main terminal.

Now, if there was a big honkin' truss box constructed to above street level & fastened to bedrock around the perimeter that might work, but any large building is going to need very strong anchors to keep from blowing over in a breeze. Lotta people i suspect don't realize how huge this yard actually is. It can hold ~35 full length trains and is 2 "long" blocks long & 3 blocks wide and i believe about 30 feet below grade. Not all of it is at the same level.

Does anyone know how 11th avenue crosses the yard? Can its support system be used to hold a tallish building up? I fear its construction may be based on spanning a distance vs both that & supporting huge load.

- A
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #237
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

I'm not quite sure why everybody is so concerned about how the buildings will be supported. Obviously the design group knows how it will be done or else they wouldn't have made the proposal. Architects and Engineers are very competent despite what everyone thinks and they certainly wouldn't miss such an obvious major point. Quit trying to second guess them and just enjoy the proposal. Hopefully it will become reality and you can see how they plan on supporting the buildings.

And by the way the bridge supports are obviously nowhere near strong enough to support the buildings.
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #238
KevD
Member since Sept. 2004

Likes (Received): 6

Glass is getting SO over done. I'm getting so sick of seeing every single big development all glass. How boring. MIX IT UP!
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #239
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
Glass is getting SO over done. I'm getting so sick of seeing every single big development all glass. How boring. MIX IT UP!
i wonder how people felt in the 1930s when all the buildings had the same type of Facade. Maybe the same? I Think NYC could use some more glass in Midtown and the General Area. I mean Lower Manhattan is getting it in huge amounts because of the WTC but Midtown has a few like the New Bofa, hearst, bloomberg, and time Warner. i don't Think its being too overdone in NY though
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #240
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
its nyc it's mix up has been for over 60 years. All I got to say is I could careless what they put there. As long as it big, tall and looks good. I say build it.

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street