daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2561
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
from http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...owering-future

[IMG]http://oi44.************/6r6lc6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://oi39.************/23upsnc.jpg[/IMG]
That's it. All existing buildings (eg, the ESB) were done in something that looks like balsa wood. Related's buildings were modeled in what looked like opaque glass, and buildings that will rise in the area, were shown in clear glass.

Kanto liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #2562
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

wow cool, i hope the design for manhatten west isnt final, and that they both end up around the 400m mark as they both have lots of sq ft
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #2563
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
My pleasure, LaF2. I highly recommend this exhibit!
If it's available in July, then I'll certainly visit with my dad.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #2564
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
I saw the exhibit today and left with a solid piece of lumber. That's how good it is. One of the models also included Manhattan West. It showed two office towers of unequal height, both of which had the beer belly design. The larger was about 390m and had a sloped roof. However, the MW towers were modeled in different glass than the other towers, which suggested to me that its design is not final.
awesome! I have to make time to go. Did you get tickets in advanced for the exhibit or you can just go there with no problems?

Although the designs may change a bit for Manhattan West, i am positive one of the towers will be supertall.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2565
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
If it's available in July, then I'll certainly visit with my dad.
I'm pretty sure that it closes at the end of June.
Old May 8th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2566
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
awesome! I have to make time to go. Did you get tickets in advanced for the exhibit or you can just go there with no problems?

Although the designs may change a bit for Manhattan West, i am positive one of the towers will be supertall.
You don't need tickets for the exhibition, and it's free.
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2567
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:

You don't need tickets for the exhibition, and it's free.
Great! Thanks

Old May 8th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #2568
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I wish they could build twsting twins at the Manhattan West side. The smaller twisting tower as the north and the taller twisting tower as the south tower. And make this set of four tall building, HY "Twins" and Man West "Twins" a pair of dancing towers. In co-relation to the "dancing" aspect of the HY towers. Imagine such a colosal sculptural approch for supertalls in the skyline.
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #2569
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...69803351746296

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIALMay 8, 2013, 9:17 p.m. ET.Time Warner Looks West for Possible Office Move
Media Giant Eyes Headquarters Move From Columbus Circle to Hudson Yards.

By LAURA KUSISTO and ELIOT BROWN

Time Warner Inc. TWX -0.63%is leaning toward moving its roughly 1 million-square-foot headquarters to a fledgling office district on Manhattan's far West Side, according to a person briefed on the company's plans.

Time Warner intends to make a decision in June, the person familiar with the matter said.

The move to the Hudson Yards area by a major media company now located in a prestigious office tower near Central Park would boost the city's drive to transform an area now marked by rail yards and warehouses into a modern district of office and residential towers.

Time Warner executives previously have said the move would help it consolidate employees from 15 buildings. It would also give the company the chance to freshen its image as a cutting-edge media and entertainment company that can compete for young employees with hip tech and media start-ups.

Coach Inc. COH +0.79%helped spur the Hudson Yards' redevelopment in late 2011 by agreeing to take 600,000 square feet at a Related Cos. tower at 10th Avenue and West 30th Street. But that move was more modest than that contemplated by Time Warner, because Coach's headquarters were just a couple of blocks away.

"The next tenant is an important moment for the district because it starts to build real momentum with tenants from other parts of the city. Coach was already there. We also need tenants to have this willingness to relocate and spend money to move," said Derek Trulson, a broker at Jones Lang LaSalle, JLL -0.68%who represents Extell Development Co. in leasing its site in the area.

Time Warner could choose one or multiple West Side locations, likely from sites owned by Extell, Brookfield Office Properties, BPO.T -0.10%Joseph Moinian and Related Cos.

The company has toured these sites looking for about 1.3 million square feet, and company leaders and consultants have had multiple meetings with developers and brokers, according to people familiar with the matter. These people said the company had signaled it was narrowing the search to the West Side.

Time Warner is also leaning toward selling its 1.1 million-square-foot Columbus Circle headquarters—which is expected to fetch more than $1 billion, according to a person familiar with the matter. It expected to have a buyer by the end of May, the person said...

Time Warner has been a candidate for moving west since it met more than two years ago with Related executives about their Hudson Yards development....

Time Warner has 6,500 full-time employees and occupies 4 million square feet in the New York area. It moved to Columbus Circle a decade ago—when that area had a more dated atmosphere—and anchored the development of the two-pronged tower overlooking Central Park. It also leases space for HBO at 1100 Sixth Ave. and 1271 Sixth Ave. for Time Inc.

Time Warner would move most of the divisions in its Columbus Circle site to Hudson Yards, including executive offices and potentially CNN, according to people familiar with the matter. It would also move HBO....

Write to Laura Kusisto at [email protected] and Eliot Brown at [email protected]

Last edited by RobertWalpole; May 9th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #2570
Vertical_Gotham

This would be great news! The HY North tower would be my bet for Time Warner. The advantage for selecting Related's project is that Coach will be there and the Retail component is a nice amenity for their workforce.

If Time Warner also moves both CNN and HBO, they could move both of them to either Manhattan West Tower or One Hudson Yards to co-anchor a building to really kickstart things in the Yards. IMO, MW and One Hudson would be the next likely candidates to secure tenants because work has already started for both projects in some capacity.

I heard Time Inc. is looking around to move and Al Jazeera is in the hunt for their NY HQ. Who knows...just maybe with media/ news giants (Time Warner, CNN, HBO) possibly there, could very well make it appealing enough for those companies to make HY their home.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; May 9th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old May 9th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2571
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I made this comment about this towers in the HY thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
After a rather noble calculation with the given figures of 2.2 and 3.2 million sqf, i see the north tower going up to 300-310m and the south thower from 400 - 430m. height varations are depandent to looby heights, and parapets in my calculations.
Look at the new massing models, and my calculations seem pretty much accurate. :-)
Old May 9th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2572
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4543

are you on about the Brookfield twins?
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #2573
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

the only part i do not like is the sticky-out part. other than that this project is simply amazing. so damn modern and beautiful, reminds me a bit of something that would fit perfectly in the skyline of nanjing and dalian
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #2574
Hoogloper

Likes (Received): 4690

I think that 'deck' actually complements the overall design of the tower.
Hoogloper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2575
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogloper View Post
I think that 'deck' actually complements the overall design of the tower.
I agree. At least it will also be a great vintage point.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2576
Vertical_Gotham

If the estimation posted by germantower is correct that brookfield's south tower could be 400m to 430m, which is a real possibility would slightly impede the views looking East from the observation deck. The good news however is that there should be open views looking at the Empire State Building.

Old May 9th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #2577
Vertical_Gotham

The Center for Architecture Discusses Plans for Hudson Yards
http://untappedcities.com/2013/05/09...-hudson-yards/

Quote:
With a packed room full of eager onlookers, the Center for Architecture (CFA) kicked off the first of a series of conversations surrounding its newest exhibit Design(in) the New Heart of New York. The series, which is largely dedicated to the Related Companies’ Hudson Yards, began on Monday night with a roundtable conversation with some of New York’s most prominent real estate professionals introducing the public to the massive new development that will define what Related claims to be “The New West Side” of Manhattan.

The group began by discussing the approximately 7 million square feet of commercial space that is to be created by the project. Among those on the panel included L. Jay Cross, President of Related’s Hudson Yards; Daniel L. Doctoroff, New York City’s Deputy Mayor; Mitchell L. Moss, Professor of Urban Policy and Planning at NYU; Mary Ann Tighe, CEO of the Tri-State Region for CBRE; and Jason Sheftell, Real Estate Editor for the Daily News who served as the evening’s moderator.

Discussion Panel. From Left to Right: Daniel L. Doctoroff, L. Jay Cross, Jason Sheftell, May Ann Tighe, and Mitchell Moss

Mary Ann Tighe, whose brokerage expertise seems to be unprecedented in New York City, reminded the audience that the average age of commercial buildings in New York City on average is an astounding 74 years old. “We’ve seen a drought of new [commercial] construction in recent years” she continued, saying that if New York City is going to continue to compete for new jobs, then it will require an updated commercial legacy to reflect that.

Hudson Yards will certainly do that by pioneering one of the last remaining frontiers of Manhattan. The development project site is set to include 27 acres of land, a total of 14 buildings, 13 million square feet of space split between commercial and residential uses, and approximately 10 acres of public open space with a large portion of it resting atop a massive cover over the MTA’s railyards.

Being situated in the Far West Side of Manhattan provides the Hudson Yards project with several critical advantages. “This is a neighborhood that has been screaming for commercial and retail space,” says Doctoroff. This immense pressure on the Far West Side is only to become greater with the extension of the 7 Train, from highly-residential West Chelsea, and from the old and commercially exhausted Midtown. Mitchell Moss of NYU agreed, stating “the center of gravity of Manhattan’s office space has been shifting west and south for the past 30 years” due to these affects. However, Moss couldn’t help but prod at the poor East Side, “you have a complete mess on the East Side. That’s what happens when you don’t have intelligent planning.”

That brought up an important note on what Hudson Yards, like Atlantic Yards, has either aided or detracted from New York City’s tradition of neighborhoods. With so many singular spot zoning variances and air-rights transfers, we have virtually destroyed some neighborhoods, such as the Flower and Garment Districts. Yet Hudson Yards is a master planned neighborhood where developers dictate the programming and mix of uses for millions of square feet that people. Should we not also address the emergence of master planned urban neighborhoods in this new age, in addition to the demands of commercial real estate?

Design(in) the New Heart of New York at the Center for Architecture will continue throughout the months of May and June with the next speaking event on May 16th with William Pedersen and architectural writer Joseph Giovannini about the evolution of the urban, high-rise commercial office building at Hudson Yards.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2578
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

I call it "Hadesenma New CBD Area" (哈德森院子新商务中心区)
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #2579
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Hudson Blvd will be great.
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2580
Vertical_Gotham

Yea, there will be a lot of great public space in the Yards to enjoy with the high line, Hudson River Park, HudsonYards Plaza, Phase 2 Park, Brookfield Plaza and the Hudson Boulevard. Unbelievable.

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street