daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #241
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I'm not quite sure why everybody is so concerned about how the buildings will be supported. Obviously the design group knows how it will be done or else they wouldn't have made the proposal. Architects and Engineers are very competent despite what everyone thinks and they certainly wouldn't miss such an obvious major point. Quit trying to second guess them and just enjoy the proposal. Hopefully it will become reality and you can see how they plan on supporting the buildings.

And by the way the bridge supports are obviously nowhere near strong enough to support the buildings.

I don't even want stuff to be built there. How am i second guessing something when no one has even explained how they will do it?

It's called asking questions to get information. Try it sometime!

- A

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #242
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
I don't even want stuff to be built there. How am i second guessing something when no one has even explained how they will do it?
It's called asking questions to get information. Try it sometime! - A
Well guess what, the design engineer for the project is not going to come on this forum and tell everyone how he's going to do it. Since he's not willing to provide the information anything people right here is just a WAG and totally irrelevant. We could just as easily discuss what kind of dog the design owned and could probably come closer to being correct!
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #243
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Well guess what, the design engineer for the project is not going to come on this forum and tell everyone how he's going to do it. Since he's not willing to provide the information anything people right here is just a WAG and totally irrelevant. We could just as easily discuss what kind of dog the design owned and could probably come closer to being correct!
Have you ever even been to nyc? Or the west side yards area?

- A
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #244
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Have you ever even been to nyc? Or the west side yards area?- A
Yes, and I feel this project would be a definite asset for the area and for New York as a whole. Most of that area is very bleak and having the in the area would certainly improve the waterfront and the area as a whole. I think building it over the rail yards is a good solution since it won't mean destruction of large blocks of older buildings.
Old September 20th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #245
metsfan
Photographer

They are only building over the section west of 11th ave according to this.....

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/hearing...raft_scope.pdf

- A
Old September 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #246
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

Hey, just a question, i don't expect anyone to truly know the answer, but i want to ask it anyway. How will New York City deal with the sea level rise associated with Global Warming, besides trying to cut CO2 emmissions on a preemptive level? I ask because I see that this project is very close to the shoreline on Manhattan. Will they put Levees all the way around the borders of the island? I wonder what the long term strategy is here?
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:00 AM   #247
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

I guess you could ask that about any question for about any coastal city.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM   #248
metsfan
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoAllegiance View Post
Hey, just a question, i don't expect anyone to truly know the answer, but i want to ask it anyway. How will New York City deal with the sea level rise associated with Global Warming, besides trying to cut CO2 emmissions on a preemptive level? I ask because I see that this project is very close to the shoreline on Manhattan. Will they put Levees all the way around the borders of the island? I wonder what the long term strategy is here?
This project sits on top of a well below grade rail yard.

As far as preventing? People need to stop the nonsense & do anything and everything they can to curb their carbon output. Even that innocent cup of coffee you have in the morning uses heat from a wall outlet, and a cup from where made of what, and how did it get to the place you bought it from the growing regions near the equator? People need to connect the dots even the ones they might not fully understand, or feel comfortable about such as driving less, being more selective when purchasing, admitting that we are fully if not mostly responsible for the current trend in climate change. Be willing to vote for people who they may not share 100% views with, but know will take care of the changes that need to be made in various policies & spending patterns. Shareholders also have leverage to make companies change policy. Old buildings to be demolished should be 100% re-used of all components, aside from toxics, heavy metals etc. Expand nuclear, wind, and solar power. Put a solar panel and a mini-turbine on every house. Do the things that we all know deep down need to be done. IF that happens, things might not hit the fan. If we do too little or nothing, we will still careen over the cliff of worsening patterns of change that come too quickly and chaotically to adapt to, leading to extinctions and huge losses of biodiversity which will land the earth, be us here after all of that or not, in a much worse situation than before we arrived.

I ride a bike, use trains, and walk. I don't own a car. I encourage people to properly inflate their tires, take loads out of their vehicles that don't need to be there, plus purchase safe reliable efficient vehicles in the first place. I explain to people the benefits of changing their lights to CF and LED, of taking shorter showers with shower heads that work to improve output pressure but reduce water usage. I ask people why they drive or fly vs taking the train. I buy organic & encourage others to. I have 80% CF bulbs in my house, the rest are too niche for the moment to be replaced. I also tell people to buy diesel vehicles, and used/pre-owned whenever possible, because a used car isn't taking more, it's all ready built & there.

Builders need to use 100% recycled materials, and renewable materials, and eco-friendly and efficient practices in their construction plans.

It's like basketball. The first version had a basket with no hole in the bottom. Needless to say scores stayed pretty low till they figured out the game would work better if they didn't need to climb up & get the ball after each goal.... Same thing with methane and carbon dioxide emissions. Simple solutions.

- A
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM   #249
Msradell
Always looking up

I'm sorry, I'm not giving up my coffee!
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM   #250
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Don't worry, there are many ways an average person can save energy without having to give up one's little daily luxury or having to pay lots of money. All the little things one can do add up to quite a lot if enough people do them. You know, little stuff like turning the TV off instead of just putting it in stand-by mode.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM   #251
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Man, those buildings are gorgeus...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM   #252
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

September 22, 2008

From AM New York

Developer picked for Hudson Yards project
By David Freedlander and Marlene Naanes | [email protected]

The Hudson Rail yards in Manhattan is currenlty being bid on by the developers Tishman-Speyer and Durst-Vornado. The two developers are competing for the highly-coveted development contract along Manhattan Midtown waterfront. (Spencer Platt, Getty Images / March 25, 2008)

A developer with a $1 billion bid for a 99-year lease was selected Wednesday to transform the West Side Rail Yards into a glittering new highrise hub.

A project that would include commercial, retail, and residential space as well as a school and cultural facility, Tishman Speyer's proposal for the Hudson Yards is just the latest multi-billion dollar development project being planned for the city.

But some planners and historians are wondering if the Bloomberg administration's dream of a new city is waking up to a new economic reality. They say that a looming credit crisis, an economic downturn that has shown no signs of bottoming out, and a sharp increase in the cost of energy and raw materials will force developers to renege on some of their affordable housing and design promises.

"Some of the big infrastructure projects, whether it's the 2nd Avenue subway or the train from Lower Manhattan to JFK, seem like a reach now," said Kathryn Wylde, president of the Partnership for New York City, a nonprofit organization of business leaders.

Possible plans for Hudson Yards unveiled "Hudson Yards will be a long-term project," Wylde said. "It's just a question of whether it's ten years or forty years, but I am confident that we will see a Hudson Yards."

With an already $2 billion price tag to build platforms over the rail yards, some fear that the West Side development could go the way of other mega-projects, such as the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn and Moynihan Station, both of which have recently hit snags.

"Sometimes things call for big projects but more often than not they run aground," said Elliot Sclar, professor of Urban Planning at Columbia University.

Elected officials who announced the West Side rail yard deal at a news conference yesterday were more optimistic. Gov. David Paterson said that to move forward with the project in a rough economy would be analogous to the completion of Rockefeller Center during the Great Depression.

City officials were equally confident of the project's success, saying it would in the long term give the city much needed office space to keep and attract large corporations and bolster the economy.

"Regardless of the current slowdown in the economy, our long-term prospects really are bright for New York City if we make the decisions now that ensure our future," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

Jerry Speyer, Tishman Speyer Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said construction on the site could begin as early as 2010 with some buildings appearing by 2013.

"We're committed to a fast track schedule," he said.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the land owner, wrote into the deal financial penalties for defaulting on the project, which guarantees that at least eastern platform will be built, even if the company defaults, once construction begins.

Soldering on in the face of an uncertain future was precisely the thing to keep the effects of the recession from being felt worse than they ordinarily would, according to Tom Wright, executive director of Regional Plan Association.

"You spend when you are in a downturn to prime the pump, which is better for the short term and the long term," he said. "There is a pent-up demand from the public for bold thinking. We need new development projects."
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 06:39 AM   #253
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

So who is the winner and whens thing thing getting off the ground.
Old September 24th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #254
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I'm not quite sure why everybody is so concerned about how the buildings will be supported. Obviously the design group knows how it will be done or else they wouldn't have made the proposal. Architects and Engineers are very competent despite what everyone thinks and they certainly wouldn't miss such an obvious major point. Quit trying to second guess them and just enjoy the proposal. Hopefully it will become reality and you can see how they plan on supporting the buildings.

And by the way the bridge supports are obviously nowhere near strong enough to support the buildings.
ummm yes; the renderings show trees, which would be hard to support without an additional structure supporting them; also, of course it CAN be supported, but it isn't going to look like the renderings portray it
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #255
backupcoolmen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

who had the winning the design?
backupcoolmen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #256
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolmen View Post
who had the winning the design?
first tishman spire but they backed out so related has it now
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM   #257
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Congratulations to that professional staff who made this amazing and really incredible project !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM   #258
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

pretty the project of New York, goes to leave the city prettiest!

joli le projet de New York, va laisser ville plus jolie !
S.T.Y AP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM   #259
AmericanSkyscraper22

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyperu34 View Post
Congratulations to that professional staff who made this amazing and really incredible project !
this won't ever get built so whats the cheering for . You do this all the time!!!!!!
AmericanSkyscraper22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #260
_Barca_

Likes (Received): 73

A shame, Brokfield was the best by far.
_Barca_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street