daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #2741
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Going, Going, but not Gone Yet: No Related Bid for Sotheby’s Headquarters
By Gus Delaporte 7:30am

Share this:
Twitter4Facebook2LinkedInGoogle +1EmailPrint
Related Companies has not bid on Sotheby’s Upper East Side headquarters as part of a deal to bring the international auction house to Hudson Yards, a source familiar with the matter told The Commercial Observer.

Earlier reports suggested Related was eyeing a bid for the property at 1334 York Avenue. The reported deal, a 1031 tax-free exchange, would see Sotheby’s buy or lease a significant portion of the 750,000-square-foot retail podium connecting the first two Hudson Yards office towers, according to a story yesterday in the New York Post.

Though conversations have been held about potentially bringing Sotheby’s to Hudson Yards as a tenant, discussions are at an early stage and do not involve a bid for the auction house’s property, the source familiar noted. Another source said Sotheby’s may not be the only party interested in the space at Hudson Yards.

Last month it was revealed Sotheby’s was exploring the sale of its 500,000-square-foot property, with Douglas Harmon and Adam Spies of Eastdil Secured marketing the building. Peter Riguardi and Alexander Chudnoff of Jones Lang LaSalle are spearheading the search for potential new locations for Sotheby’s.

“We continue to examine our business needs and real estate options to see what best suits Sotheby’s,” Andrew Gully, spokesman at Sotheby’s, told The Commercial Observer, declining to comment on the rumored bid from Related.

Sotheby’s acquired 1334 York Avenue, which sits between 71st and 72nd Streets, from RFR Realty for $370 million in 2009, after having leased the building since 1979.

Eastdil Secured and Jones Lang LaSalle did not return requests for comment. A representative for Related declined to comment.

Like this:
Like Loading...

Kanto liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #2742
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

well it's too early in the game & we all know working on deals takes time, especially as complicated this would be if there are discussions. What we do know is that they have interest. Weather or not Related decides to make a play for their HQ in the UES.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #2743
Vertical_Gotham

Is Fashion Week Moving to Hudson Yards? Quite Possibly
http://www.elle.com/news/fashion-sty...e-hudson-yards

Quote:
First it set up shop at Bryant Park, then it was bumped to Lincoln Center, and now we hear word via WWD that it may be headed to the soon-to-be-built Hudson Yards. Is it really that difficult to find a home for a massive number of designers, models, beauty pros, editors, buyers, bloggers, and celebrities? Yes.

But this move may not be a bad thing at all. Here's why: According to Hudson Yards president Jay Cross, NYFW needs a permanent home. And fashion veteran and CFDA chairman Diane von Furstenberg is totally on board. "I am super excited about the Culture Shed," she said, referencing the new multipurpose center to be built at Hudson Yards. "It will be a huge cultural center, and yes, a wonderful place for fashion week."

According to Cross via WWD, the Culture Shed is being built with four runways, studios, an exhibition space, and a 140-foot-high canopy that slides along tracks to create indoor and outdoor space. Von Furstenberg is heading the private fund-raising for this facility, which is said to be a $300 million project. It will be located on West 30th Street between 10th and 11th Avenues and will hopefully be ready by 2017. Other brands moving to Hudson Yards' South Towers include Coach and L’Oréal USA.

We may have von Furstenberg to thank for this Cultural Shed. The tale is she met with New York's former deputy mayor Dan Doctoroff in 2006 (when she took on the role of CFDA president) and told him her vision. "[Doctoroff] asked me what I wished for," she told WWD. "And I said, 'Give us a pier for fashion week.' Dan smiled and we started to talk. The idea of Culture Shed was born."

Kanto, ArtNouveau liked this post
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2744
Vertical_Gotham

CNN Planning Revamp Of New York Studios
http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/...tudios_b189467

Quote:
Inside CNN’s New York City headquarters in Time Warner Center, some subtle signage changes have not gone without notice. On the fifth floor, where the offices of CNN Money are located, the network quietly removed the CNN Money signage, replacing it with general CNN signage.

While Time Warner is expected to spin off Time Inc. soon (and CNN Money is a joint venture between Time Warner and Time Inc.), the channel says that the changes aren’t tied to the spinoff. Rather, CNN is planning renovations of its New York City studios, and new technology makes it possible to plug in any CNN logo behind the anchors or in the newsroom, including, yes the CNN Money logo.

TVNewser hears that the fifth floor studio where CNN Money produces its video reports will become the temporary home to more CNN programs, including those that now use the fourth floor studio. CNN is expected to renovate and redesign the main studio and newsroom on the fourth floor. Time Warner is committed to moving to a new headquarters above the Hudson Yards in just a few years, but network executives apparently feel that the studios need a refresh before the move is made.

Kanto, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #2745
Vertical_Gotham

Design(in) the New Heart of New York
http://www.related.com/our-company/p...OR-ACHITECTURE

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 30th, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:10 AM   #2746
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

E tower is seriously gorgeous. Its going to be a stunner when its completed, great design nearly a supertall.. great.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #2747
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

are those new renderings? might be my imagination but it looks like the cladding pattern on the north tower was changed
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #2748
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Still wish they'd left the two main towers' peaks pointed away from one another:

That orientation was miles better. I understand what they're doing with the new shapes -- the "dancing" towers as you move around them. But give me my dignified, disinterested penguins any day.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2749
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
E tower is seriously gorgeous. Its going to be a stunner when its completed, great design nearly a supertall.. great.
I agree. Probably the coolest of the lot. Looks a bit like Trump in Chicago.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #2750
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1279

I think the collared beef tower is my fave
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2751
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
are those new renderings? might be my imagination but it looks like the cladding pattern on the north tower was changed

These renderings should be the latest as those pictures are part of the current exhibition that is going on now, DESIGN(in)THE NEW HEART OF NEW YORK at the center of architecture.
Old July 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2752
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post

Yea the E tower is special. It's my favorite in the Yards project. D tower is pretty cool also.
Old July 30th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #2753
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Still wish they'd left the two main towers' peaks pointed away from one another:

That orientation was miles better. I understand what they're doing with the new shapes -- the "dancing" towers as you move around them. But give me my dignified, disinterested penguins any day.
Agreed. The redesign totally made me lose all interest in this project. What a disappointment. It could have been something amazing, but now it looks like something out of an early 2000s warped glass nightmare. Along with the puke-worthy D Tower, this proect has turned out pretty sad.

The E Tower is fantastic, however.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:10 AM   #2754
MarshallKnight

I haven't lost all interest myself. I think as an engine to revitalize the neighborhood, and an anchor from which development can spread in all directions, the HY is a fantastic project. I've grown to like the D tower, and flat-out love the E tower. But I think all four towers are a bit "everything and the kitchen sink," an obvious symptom of trying to create new icons.

50 years from now, ESB is still going to be classic and HY North in particular is going to seem pretty gaudy.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:29 AM   #2755
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Agreed. The redesign totally made me lose all interest in this project. What a disappointment. It could have been something amazing, but now it looks like something out of an early 2000s warped glass nightmare. Along with the puke-worthy D Tower, this proect has turned out pretty sad.

The E Tower is fantastic, however.
But...but...th-they're still tall!?!?!
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:57 AM   #2756
Vertical_Gotham

There is nothing like this project in NYC! The designs are unique for NYC, which is also a big reason these companies want to be there and Related is having a great success leasing both towers even b4 construction begins. The whole idea imo of the Yards is to create it's own identity within NYC. A forward thinking city within a classic city.

Old July 31st, 2013, 04:06 AM   #2757
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
There is nothing like this project in NYC! ... A forward thinking city within a classic city.
If I were to stick pipe cleaner, googly eyes, bedazzle, glitter and fingerpaint on my coffee mug, I could say there were no other coffee mugs like it in the cupboard -- but it'd still be an ugly mug all the same.

I'm all for forward thinking, and the overall plan is very much that. I just think they've overdesigned on the main towers.

Kanto liked this post
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:08 AM   #2758
Vertical_Gotham

well I kinda agree. The South tower is good for me, but I do have a problem w/ the North tower sort of.., wish the profile could be a little slimmer and I'm not to crazy about the fin look observation deck. As a whole project however, I think the Related development will be special. Once the other projects such as the Brookfield twins, One Hudson Blvd, 3 Hudson Blvd, Sherwood Tower and finally Phase 2 towers are built, the density of all those skyscrapers should have the top portion of the HY North Tower exposed only in the skyline despite being the tallest of the bunch. That's would be good news for some of you eventually.

I just noticed Related included One Hudson Blvd that they traded for with Extell in that rendering above. It's good to know Related still envisions that site to be what looks to be super tall in that rendering.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; July 31st, 2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:21 AM   #2759
MarshallKnight

Yeah I wish there were more renders with the rest of the proposals included. Especially Phase II of the HY. Part of it is surely the awkwardness of a couple supertall and semi-supertall towers with nothing surrounding them. But eventually this is going to be a forest. The Hudson Park and Blvd is going to be an amazing public space.
Old July 31st, 2013, 01:24 PM   #2760
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

I agree. there is no reason not thow the new towers in their environment rather than stand alone.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street