daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 14th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #3121
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I'm gonna miss seeing the trains to be honest. I wish they could have incorporated trains into the design of these buildings. And some of the residential properties developed here should be mixed income properties too. Lets not turn the entirety of Manhattan into a "no poor people" zone.
Of course there will be some affordable housing by Related, but how do u think they will make $$ giving away office space at cost??

The plan has always been to give office space at cost to jump start the Yards & create an atmosphere, so people will want to spend $$ to live there. Residential is where Related will coup the $$ and make a ton.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #3122
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
And some of the residential properties developed here should be mixed income properties too. Lets not turn the entirety of Manhattan into a "no poor people" zone.
Related is building two 100% affordable buildings one block south of the HY site. Furthermore, there are a few massive public housing complexes just a few blocks south of this site. It will never be a complete "no poor people" zone.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #3123
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
Had you seen this? http://m.ny.curbed.com/archives/2012..._sculpture.php

If they are willing to spend a 100 million for a central sculpture, maybe they could spend 25 on this and lower the main ones budget.
What?! They want to throw 100 million into the garbage can for some tiny, stupid, ugly piece of feces?! Oh, my, this news made my blood boil like nothing else I read in the past month or two! If they want to throw away another 100 millions so badly they should give the North Tower another 50 meters of height so that it isn't medicore like now and so that it is the tallest building in the country! Or if they truly want to throw those millions out the window without getting anything for it, they could just donate it to those who need it! There are plenty of people who could use the money for something better than a useless and worthless sculpture

Man I need a chill pill now

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #3124
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The overwhelming number of NYC residents rent in rent-regulated buildings. There are poor and middle-class people everywhere.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #3125
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The overwhelming number of NYC residents rent in rent-regulated buildings.
Yes, there are plenty and the problem is once 1 regulated apartment is available and some one is lucky enough to get it.. They would be crazy to ever let it go...It will be theirs for the duration of their lifetime and sometimes they even try to pass it to their children. I don't know how much more of these type of apts in particular in Manhattan we can create for them to never ever be made available again. At least in our lifetime.

We can go on and on creating new affordable housing but the turn over of these would be Zero for people in need for it in the future.

Since those already existing are taken for the duration... lets just make more and more and more of these types of housing until soon Manhattan will be littered with these. #rantover.

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #3126
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Lots of work happening on the Amtrak tunnel box. They're sinking huge I-beams into the secant wall.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #3127
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Lots of work happening on the Amtrak tunnel box. They're sinking huge I-beams into the secant wall.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
just out of curiosity what is this blue machine? what brand? looks like a crane, but I have my doubts

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #3128
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Putmeister at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
just out of curiosity what is this blue machine? what brand? looks like a crane, but I have my doubts
Thx for J-biz for the photos.

It's a Putzmeister concrete pump truck. Putzmeister is my favorite name in concrete pump trucks.

You've seen concrete pump trucks pump concrete OVER the High Line to the Coach/South Tower from concrete mixers lined up on W.30 th st. One of the other contractors I've seen in some of the Hudson yards photos is NY's Pumpcrete who seems to use Schwing equipment, also a good name. Please note that I am NOT making up these equipment mfg names.

The Germans make a lot of specialized construction equipment including the Bauer drills used in some of these construction sites. I assume the Becho Inc labeled drills are the same Bauers that were being used previously.

mmkkk stated previously in the Coach Tower thread:
Quote:
The two Becho drills will be used for the secant walls to support the Amtrak tunnel. There are secant wall forms near the other drills mast, The drill will be brought down the ramp into the site. BTW, Becho is a subsidiary of Tudor-Perini
Becho Inc's web site does give an address of Sylmar, CA, so I assume they could be part of T-P whose 2012 Form 10K states
15901 Olden Street, Sylmar, California
(Address of principal executive offices)

which is the same street address as Becho Inc.

Interesting tidbit from the 2012 T-P Form 10-K:
Quote:
It was a year characterized by the lingering aftermath of a depressed
building market coupled with delayed building and civil project awards and
the delayed start-up of large projects like the South Tower (“Tower C”) at
Hudson Yards. These factors resulted in significantly reduced revenues for our
Building group and pressured margins across our entire business.
it certainly seems that T-P is rolling now on the various Hudson Yards projects...

It also seems that they are building the perimeter wall for the tunnel box excavation all in one go. I had previously assumed that they would build it in at least two sections, but that was just my interpretation of the Amtrak study.
j-biz 11/15/2013 photo
image hosted on flickr

j-biz photo source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10875455304/. If you select the largest resolution of j-biz's photo you can see (AFAIK) the secant pile wall section they constructed earlier on the west side of 10th Ave. I think you can also see tiebacks at a few different elevations in that wall. I'm assuming the tiebacks are drilled into the bedrock under 10th Ave and south of the existing Amtrak/PRR tunnels which underlie an imaginary 32nd St. If they had drilled into the existing Amtrak tunnel Amtrak & NJ Transit would have been very annoyed.

Here's a repost from public documents as to what the intent of all the activity shown in j-Biz's photos is. The photo was taken from a little further north on the 11th Ave viaduct compared to the J-biz photos:
image hosted on flickr

and slightly more detail on how the tunnel box construction will fit into the excavation. Note that this diagram shows tiebacks drilled through the secant piles (the gray ovelapping cylinders) & into the bedrock as they start actually excavating within the perimeter walls they are busy building now. The diagram also shows the existing shallow Empire Corridor Tunnel but does not show the deeper and much older Amtrak/PRR Hudson/North River. Apparently it was still common a century ago to call the Hudson River the North River, all related back to Henry Hudson's search for the passage to India...
image hosted on flickr

Note also that when they start platform steel erection at this site in June 2014 I think they will be bridging across the white MOE building (with it's roof parapet/faux windows removed) to connect to the platform that will be surrounding the Coach Tower by then. Bridging across to the north side of the site (where the North tower will eventually rise) will take place later...

Last edited by solgoldberg; November 16th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3129
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

image hosted on flickr

Hudson Yards Leveled by HorsePunchKid, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3130
solgoldberg

Lots of other good Hudson Yards photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
Thanks for the link to the horsepunchkid overview of the West side yards/Hudson Yards/Culture Shed plaza lower levels/etc.! Amongst all the other info it gives you an idea of the levation of the coach tower lobby floor & the roof (minus the parapet) of the LIRR MoE bldg.
Is that a parking garage ramp opening on the right side near bottom?

Mr. Severinghaus/horsepunchkid has a bunch of few day old photos the Phase III High Line & surrounding area in his flickr photostrem.

here's a relatively arbitrary link to a view looking east with the Coach Tower on left. More available by scrolling left or right:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/horsepunchkid/10897226613/

image hosted on flickr

Railing Shadow by HorsePunchKid via flickr
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #3131
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

I know his cousin, DonkeyPunchKid.

McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #3132
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I assume you're referring to MuleKickToddler.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3133
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I assume you're referring to MuleKickToddler.

I'm not familiar with these various relationships, but he has taken the freebie tour that the High Line org offers of the not-open-yet Phase 3 High Line. According to his web site:
Quote:
The Horse-Punch Kid was one of the original Gang of Three, which also included the Guy Named Funk, the Podunk Runt, and the No-Dog Guy.
when you take the tour you get to see Phase 3 under construction and the art installation that is there now. If you haven't been to the open sections of the High Line itself, they can get quite busy during decent weather.

The Hudson Yards development over the east Rail Yard & the opening of Phase 3 HL next year will certainly make this area even more popular. It will be interesting to see the integration of the actual Hudson Yards overbuild platform & the towers protruding through it over the next few years.

Last edited by solgoldberg; November 20th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:03 AM   #3134
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This place will be CRAWLING with hot birds!

Old November 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM   #3135
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This place will be CRAWLING with hot birds!

Hot rotisserie chicken and turkey indeed, just the birds I'm after, but lacking the ability to crawl by themselves, they will require greedy full and lazy human bellies to lend a helping hand

Oh, the mall will be a pretty dull looking Greenhouse. Good bird trap though, literally and figuratively . Since its a glass box, bird WATCHING may be pretty spectacular at all times, could even make the 100 best bird watching sites list of the american ornithological society for 2017 or so or at least GQ / esquires magazines top bird watching site list

Simfan34, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by aquablue; November 22nd, 2013 at 02:11 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:55 PM   #3136
LeandroPappalardo

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
What?! They want to throw 100 million into the garbage can for some tiny, stupid, ugly piece of feces?! Oh, my, this news made my blood boil like nothing else I read in the past month or two! If they want to throw away another 100 millions so badly they should give the North Tower another 50 meters of height so that it isn't medicore like now and so that it is the tallest building in the country! Or if they truly want to throw those millions out the window without getting anything for it, they could just donate it to those who need it! There are plenty of people who could use the money for something better than a useless and worthless sculpture

Man I need a chill pill now
OFF TOPIC:
They could donate 20 millions to Durst and clad 1WTC's spire

LeandroPappalardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:06 AM   #3137
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandroPappalardo View Post
OFF TOPIC:
They could donate 20 millions to Durst and clad 1WTC's spire
A great piece of art will attract tourists and help forge a central meeting/focal point for the plaza and the entire complex. The money spent will be well worth it in the end for the devs and the city unless it Is a complete dog of a sculpture I reckon. I think Kanto you are totally wrong here. This place needs an identity, and most people don't care about supertalls and consider them faceless impenetrable glass realms of the corporate kingpins of society. The monument will be the central cultural icon and a major attraction in its own right that will add a human touch to the whole place so the place wont be known primarily for its glass towers by the average joe. Hopefully it will be good art. It's success depends on how the public will relate.

Last edited by aquablue; November 22nd, 2013 at 02:12 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #3138
solgoldberg

Tourist $s are important to NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
A great piece of art will attract tourists and help forge a central meeting/focal point for the plaza and the entire complex. The money spent will be well worth it in the end for the devs and the city unless it Is a complete dog of a sculpture I reckon. I think Kanto you are totally wrong here. This place needs an identity, and most people don't care about supertalls and consider them faceless impenetrable glass realms of the corporate kingpins of society. The monument will be the central cultural icon and a major attraction in its own right that will add a human touch to the whole place so the place wont be known primarily for its glass towers by the average joe. Hopefully it will be good art. It's success depends on how the public will relate.
Tourist $s are important to NYC. Hopefully whatever public space/art actually gets built is good. You just have to look south to the two open phases of the HL and marvel at how many people get attracted to that.

Hopefully the expenditure of $4B on the WTC transportation hub/oculus also acts as a tourist visitor draw even though it adds virtually nothing in mass transit rail.

Note that I'm assuming that when tourists/visitors come to these sites they leave feeling they've experienced something worthwhile.

Old November 25th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #3139
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22561

can there be a title change? the official designation of this tower is now 30 Hudson Yards.
http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/of...0-hudson-yards
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3140
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Interesting. So if the North Tower is 30 HY and South Tower is 10 HY, I would wager that D Tower will be 20 HY and E Tower will be 40 HY.

...which would make sense if it's true, but they may be setting themselves up for a confusing numbering system once you get over into the Western Yards.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street