daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #3201
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

You guys are acting ridiculous. If I didnt know better i would think all you do all day is obsess over skyscraper heights and stare at this website. You all need to settle down and realize that was an outdated graphic.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #3202
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
If I didnt know better i would think all you do all day is obsess over skyscraper heights and stare at this website.

maybe...
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #3203
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
I think that 1,255 Ft figure might be accurate looks alot shorter in the new renderings.

Well then clearly something else is up becuase 1,255' is surely not "a lot" shorter than 1,337'

That difference would not be that noticeable. Pretty sure that rendering is really old too.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #3204
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Yes. As I described half a page back, that render is very old. The North Tower looks shorter in it because the South Tower was significantly taller in that iteration than it is now. In the latest designs we've seen, the difference between them is bigger.

Eric Offereins, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #3205
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

What will get overbuilt

The photosnip below is from a 1987 LIRR brochure, but was a fairly accurate representation of what the structures in the eastern Rail Yard are. WAS accurate because the Amtrak Gateway tunnel box construction has already knocked down all but the southern section of the "electric car shop" (aka Maintenance of Equipment building). North is at top where W 33rd st runs across diagram.

Relevant to the North Tower/30 HY is the AC & DC substation, which will not move. The second floor of the Tower Operator yardmaster building WILL move, once Tutor-Perini? builds a modern replacement. I assume the "northeast access"/ramp from 33rd street will remain in some form since the LIRR will still have to get regular vehicles down to the electrical substation even with the North Tower sitting (lightly) on top of the substations

The ramp down from 10th Ave to the south access road will go away, maybe once T-P starts building foundations for the overbuild platform in January. Even with the 10th Ave ramp gone there will still be vehicle access to the south access road from the West Rail Yard by driving under the 11th Ave viaduct.

Apparently the now AP HQ building was known as the Lerner Building in the '80s.

image hosted on flickr

Snippet from MTA/LIRR April 1987 publication via John Fusto

Last edited by solgoldberg; November 30th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM   #3206
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/312019986

Room at the top for observation decks
New buildings mean more competition for stalwarts Empire State, Rock Center.

By Daniel Geiger
December 1, 2013
Quote:
[...]Among the new arrivals will be one from megadeveloper Related Cos. It will open an observation deck in an office tower on which it is planning to break ground early next year at the corner of West 33rd Street and 10th Avenue in Hudson Yards.

[...]Jay Cross, president of Related's massive Hudson Yards development, is another exec betting there is plenty of demand to go around. He sees his planned deck as part of the package of attractions on the far West Side that includes the High Line and a 1 million-square-foot shopping mall that Related plans to build at the yards, a 100-foot-tall-plus sculpture it will install at the site, and the scenic tree-lined Hudson Boulevard to the north.

[...]For one, at an elevation of 1,080 feet, its deck will rank as the highest open-air observatory in the city. Related will also amp up the visceral and vertiginous thrills by potentially offering amusement-park-like features such as a glass floor that will cantilever out over the chasm and possibly a glass wall that patrons can lean against as it tips out over the drop.
That's pretty nice! Having a nice outdoor walk at 1,080'/329m sure is awesome. It further confirms that the North Tower is still 1,337ft, because otherwise the obs.deck wouldn't be that high up.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3207
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

By Daniel Geiger
December 1, 2013

That's pretty nice! Having a nice outdoor walk at 1,080'/329m sure is awesome. It further confirms that the North Tower is still 1,337ft, because otherwise the obs.deck wouldn't be that high up.
Thanks for posting that. The article also states:
Quote:
It will open an observation deck in an office tower on which it is planning to break ground early next year at the corner of West 33rd Street and 10th Avenue in Hudson Yards.
As I've stated numerous times, I do NOT believe ground breaking will occur "early next year at the corner of West 33rd Street and 10th Avenue". I do believe foundation work for the overbuild platform WILL occur early next year (31 days away) in the area that T-P already controls for the Amtrak tunnel box construction.
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3208
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

By Daniel Geiger
December 1, 2013

I don't wanna sound too pesimistic but if they decreased the height of the North Tower it is likely that they changed more of its proportions so the older renders showing the terrace might not apply to it anymore
Old December 2nd, 2013, 04:51 PM   #3209
marcy-g
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Looks so cool! Like the buildings are just 'kicking back', chilling...

Last edited by marcy-g; December 2nd, 2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
marcy-g no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3210
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

This OD is amazing!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ATE/312019986#

Quote:
Jay Cross, president of Related's massive Hudson Yards development, is another exec betting there is plenty of demand to go around. He sees his planned deck as part of the package of attractions on the far West Side that includes the High Line and a 1 million-square-foot shopping mall that Related plans to build at the yards, a 100-foot-tall-plus sculpture it will install at the site, and the scenic tree-lined Hudson Boulevard to the north.

Still, Related plans to make sure its deck will be able to compete and is touting several one-of-a-kind attributes that it believes will make its view the best in town.

For one, at an elevation of 1,080 feet, its deck will rank as the highest open-air observatory in the city. Related will also amp up the visceral and vertiginous thrills by potentially offering amusement-park-like features such as a glass floor that will cantilever out over the chasm and possibly a glass wall that patrons can lean against as it tips out over the drop.

"In the history of tall buildings around the world, there's always been a human desire to get up at the top of them," Mr. Cross said. "You want to max that experience for them, and what's unique here is that we're part of an evolving world of observation decks where there's a thrill aspect to it."

Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3211
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

Ana elevator on the outside is also pretty cool. This observation deck will attract a lot of visitors.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #3212
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

I think that's supposed to depict a cutaway view. I don't think there will be an exterior elevator.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:11 PM   #3213
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

A glass floor sounds great, is there an observation deck with one in NY? I think the Willis one is pretty popular.

Amazing they figured out how to do it in glass without a support.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3214
solgoldberg

Good progress on work for overbuild platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Thanks for posting that. The article also states:

As I've stated numerous times, I do NOT believe ground breaking will occur "early next year at the corner of West 33rd Street and 10th Avenue". I do believe foundation work for the overbuild platform WILL occur early next year (31 days away) in the area that T-P already controls for the Amtrak tunnel box construction.
j-biz just posted new photos on the Amtrak tunnel box construction progress in the east rail yard itself. My impression is that they are really racing along to get the soil out of the pit-to-be & get downto bedrock. So we should see overbuild platform foundation work start outside the pit, but within T-P's Amtrak construction area, in January.

Thanks to j-biz/jglover1028 again.

The photo below shows that they've already started excavating down within the secant pile perimeter wall. As they excavate they also are installing tiebacks into the bedrock to hold the walls vertical. The braces/brackets for the tiebacks are already in place on some of the piles. The horizontal drilling rigs that will actually drill the tiebacks are not visible in the photo, but I assume they'll be making an appearance in the pit in the next week or so:
image hosted on flickr

jglover1028 photo via flckr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11176300285/
It looks (to me) like they also have wells?/etc installed to dewater within the excavation.

AND a construction trailer is now in place next to the tower operator yardmaster building in the top left corner of the photo!

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 2nd, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:51 PM   #3215
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I was pleasantly surprised to see that excavation had begun. I'm curious to know, though, what these ancient-looking timbers are? You can see in this photo that there are multiple layers of them underground. Maybe they were there as part of the railyard trackbed...

Anyway, as you say, progress!

image hosted on flickr
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3216
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to see that excavation had begun. I'm curious to know, though, what these ancient-looking timbers are? You can see in this photo that there are multiple layers of them underground. Maybe they were there as part of the railyard trackbed...

Anyway, as you say, progress!

image hosted on flickr
I think it's timber matting brought in for the tieback drills, etc. The water table is not that far down & that area should be really muddy. Even though the drills are tracked vehicles, workers walk around down there also & matting provides a very rough floor to keep equipment & workers from sinking in the muck/mud.
For reference, I think the excavation pits for 10 HY/South Tower did not go as deep as this one for the tunnel box will. The caissons for 10 HY are deep & socketed into rock, but the excavation pit around the 10 HY caissions was shallower.

Here's an example of timber matting for a MTA Capital Construction project:
image hosted on flickr

CM004 - Installation of Timber Mats in Preparation for Crane Use (05-01-2013) from NYMTACC photostream

Bedrock is ~30 feet down from the surface of the yard at the western 11th Ave end of the tunnel box according to this snip from November 2012 study. Note that the profile view shows the new #7 subway extension tunnels, which are actually ROUND, but appear ellipsoid due to the non-equal horizontal & vertical scales. The MoE bldg is the black rectangles on the right side, above the PLAN notation:
image hosted on flickr

dashyfreak liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 2nd, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #3217
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Most recent rendering?

I love the obs.deck without the support!!
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #3218
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The E tower has a new design, and the former Extell tower is visible.

P.S.: Four commercial towers (I doubt that this includes the tower that was envisioned on the western yards since that's far off in the future.)

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/12/...-hudson-yards/

Funkyskunk2, Vertical_Gotham liked this post

Last edited by RobertWalpole; December 3rd, 2013 at 07:05 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3219
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Shit! North tower really did get reduced. Please please send the square footage to a monster at the McDonalds site.

Extell's old tower is pathetic too...

rencharles liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3220
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The E tower has a new design, and the former Extell tower is visible.

P.S.: Four commercial towers (I doubt that this includes the tower that was envisioned on the western yards since that's far off in the future.)

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/12/...-hudson-yards/
Looks like that FB graph is correct.

So here's what we know...

30 Hudson lowered to 1,255 ft
35 Hudson Redesigned and increased to 1,000ft
15 Hudson increased to 870ft

55 Hudson (Extell) look to be almost the same height as 10 Hudson Yards in the rendering below, maybe around 850 ft?

BTW, I think they made 30 Hudson (North Tower) too low in that rendering.

I'm really eager to this Eight Day Exhibit starting Dec 5th at Columbus Center to see the changes in great detail. I will definitely try to take good pics and post here.

Funkyskunk2, Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; December 3rd, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street