daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #3321
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

From earlier today

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; December 6th, 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #3322
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaean View Post
This development really has become a disappointment the past couple of days. The signature tower was shortened and fattened, Equinox lost its setback appeal, and 1 and 2 Hudson (especially 1 Hudson) are monstrous banal boxes. This went from possibly the best development plan in the world to almost mediocre. It seems like with many current developments in New York the developers are only interested in the short term gain. Economic factors are the most important aspect of a development, but it would be nice if developers could forego a little bit of profit in order to make the city more pleasing to the eye.
It would be nice, but I guess the competition is so high between rival development companies that the last dollar needs to be squeezed. How would one company who is giving something extra to the city in terms of aesthetics be able to complete with the others who go for maximum profit?

It's not just developers, what about regulators and planners? If they want more beautiful structures built, it should be encouraged with policy and not left to the whims of the market. Maybe NYC needs a design review for most large developments like London.

I happen to like the new E tower, but the North tower being reduced is a major bummer. I think that those boxes look like something Tokyo would build today. Big, efficient, safe, profitable.

Last edited by aquablue; December 6th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #3323
Vertical_Gotham

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM   #3324
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The 80 foot reduction is not noticeable. This project is amazing and could only be built in an international capitals like NY. The same is true with Verre, Steinway, etc.

Subsequence liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #3325
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

While I am frustrated that literally every supertall seems to get shortened in NYC the complex almost looks better, especially with the new Equinox tower.

Not bad...
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:00 AM   #3326
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
While I am frustrated that literally every supertall seems to get shortened in NYC the complex almost looks better, especially with the new Equinox tower.

Not bad...
I think some developers get too big for their britches before reality, i.e tenants, finance, government, hits them in the face. Or maybe they think they are living on planet vega 1z, aka shanghai, lol. Perhaps they need to come back down to earth a little and stop being such teases.

Last edited by aquablue; December 6th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #3327
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The 80 foot reduction is not noticeable. This project is amazing and could only be built in an international capitals like NY. The same is true with Verre, Steinway, etc.
80 Ft is noticeable actually, takes it from being 80 ft taller then the ESB to a pitiful 5.
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:19 AM   #3328
N.Y.C.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I was talking about your stupid comparison to the ESB. Who cares if its only 5 feet taller? The ESB isn't some benchmark to beat. The only thing to complain about is that the height reduction has caused an aesthetic imbalance in the symmetry of the HY complex now. We as mature architecture lovers should care about such considerations first, not whether the building is tall or short in isolation.
Mmm... IS the ESB not the tallest building in Midtown? what else would i compare it height wise to? A pedestrian?
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #3329
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Mmm... IS the ESB not the tallest building in Midtown? what else would i compare it height wise to? A pedestrian?
Why compare it to the ESB? The only thing that matters really is the design implications of the HY complex that have been compromised by the reduction in height of the central focal point tower. The ESB is quite a bit away and has no relevance. It seems you are mostly just interested in having the tallest tower possible and not these finer points of aesthetic balance.
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #3330
N.Y.C.H

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why compare it to the ESB? The only thing that matters really is the design implications of the HY complex that have been compromised by the reduction in height of the central focal point tower. The ESB is quite a bit away and has no relevance. It seems you are mostly just interested in having the tallest tower possible and not these finer points of aesthetic balance.
Why wouldn't i compare it to the ESB if i am talking about height? THE DESIGN OF THE TOWER HAS NOT CHANGED! Was I talking about the complex as a whole? NO, so your argument about a focal point tower is irrelevant to me as i was not talking about the complex as a whole, but this tower individually. And i will stop replying, so to that i say **** off.
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #3331
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Why wouldn't i compare it to the ESB if i am talking about height? THE DESIGN OF THE TOWER HAS NOT CHANGED! Was I talking about the complex as a whole? NO, so your argument about a focal point tower is irrelevant to me as i was not talking about the complex as a whole, but this tower individually. And i will stop replying, so to that i say **** off.
It seems to me that comparing it to the tallest tower and bemoaning the fact that this wont be taller just shows that you are interested in height first rather than the aesthetic ramifications on the immediate context (hy) due to this reduction. Absolute height alone is not the first thing you should be worried about. Relative height and the interaction with the surrounding context should always be the primary focus. The ESB is nothing to do with this tower and there is little visual interaction there so why bring it up? Just cause you want the tallest tower possible, come on, admit it, and I bet you wouldn't care if it looked like a jelly doughnut with a cherry on top if it were 600m tall.

Last edited by aquablue; December 6th, 2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old December 6th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #3332
Vertical_Gotham

Just to put in perspective what a difference of 80ft in reduction in height really is...

200 Greenwich Street (2WTC)

The antenna is 80ft tall giving 2 WTC a total height 1,350ft. Without that tripod antenna the height is 1270ft.

80 ft difference

Please try to imagine no antenna in those pics above! In the grand scheme of things, is it such a noticeable difference to justify and trash the tower because of 80ft haircut??

Honestly it would be barely noticeable especially to the naked eye and the non skyscraper worshipers.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; December 6th, 2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #3333
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Just to put in perspective what the difference of 80ft in reduction in height ...

Honestly it would be barely noticeable especially to the naked eye and the non skyscraper worshipers.
You and I appear to be the only people who actually saw the models today and can confirm that the tower looks the same. A bunch of queens from Sheboygen just want to whine about this. Perhaps they're not getting their hormone therapies.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #3334
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

Quote:
NY is really the king with many jewels constantly added to its crown. During a very weak recovery, following a very severe recession, we get the following supertalls:

1. North Tower;
2. Verre;
3. Steinway;
4. 432 Park;
5. One57;
6. 1 WTC;
7. E-tower.

Other US cities are struggling to build PATHETIC 50 story boxes, and even NY's peers (London, Paris, HK, and Tokyo are not building any supertalls).

When the economy (and Wall St) are booming in a few years, I can't even imagine what will be built:

You forgot to mention 3WTC and the Nordstrom Tower, and that's only the towers that started or are starting in the next year or so, great times for NYC!

By the way I agree with you guys when it comes to the height reduction, the only reason why it's noticeable is because 35HY got taller (and got a better design), I'm missing the part where that's a bad thing.

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #3335
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
You and I appear to be the only people who actually saw the models today and can confirm that the tower looks the same. A bunch of queens from Sheboygen just want to whine about this. Perhaps they're not getting their hormone therapies.
Plus we are gaining 2 supertalls in 35HY and 50HY all because of an inconsequential reduction. Not bad at all!
Old December 6th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #3336
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Plus we are gaining 2 supertalls in 35HY and 50HY all because of an inconsequential reduction. Not bad at all!
All people like to complain about is this stupid 80 foot reduced height.

Instead they should be excited about this incredible complex that we will get to see develop over the next decade.
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3337
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

20m is not that big of a deal tbh.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #3338
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
NY is really the king with many jewels constantly added to its crown. During a very weak recovery, following a very severe recession, we get the following supertalls:

1. North Tower;
2. Verre;
3. Steinway;
4. 432 Park;
5. One57;
6. 1 WTC;
7. E-tower.

Other US cities are struggling to build PATHETIC 50 story boxes, and even NY's peers (London, Paris, HK, and Tokyo are not building any supertalls).

When the economy (and Wall St) are booming in a few years, I can't even imagine what will be built:
1,000+ Feet
1. 217 West 57th Street
2. 432 Park Avenue
3. One World Trade Center
4. 111 West 57th Street
5. Two World Trade Center
6. 30 Hudson Yards
7. Empire State Building
8. 50 Hudson Yards
9. Three World Trade Center
10. The GiraSole
11. Tower Verre
12. Chrysler Building
13. 80 South Street
14. One57
15. 35 Hudson Yards

Other Possible 1,000 Footers Without Exact Height
1. Sherwood Equities Tower
2. Manhattan West towers
3. Wanda tower
4. Michael Shvo tower
5. Realtor tower
6. 650 Madison Avenue
7. 36 Central Park

Others Pending Rezoning

1. One Vanderbilt
2. old MTA HQs
3. 425 Park Avenue

Wait until Wall Street roars back!

Wait until MSG is redeveloped as part of the new Moynihan Station!

Wait until Javits is redeveloped!

NEW YORK CITY- THE WORLD CAPITAL!

Eric Offereins, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3339
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
I am one of the dissapointed with the height reduction, as I expressed since some days ago when still it wasn't official.

And my complain has nothing to do with the height in absolute terms, but the relations with the other buildings of the complex. (for what I think, comparing it with other cities of the world has nothing to do with this either)

The height reduction is actually pretty noticeable, because it is not just the 80 feet this tower is decreasing, but the 50 ft the other tower is growing, so 30HY is losing its prominence within the complex (and not within other cities in the world or even within the whole NY, thing that I don't care about) from almost 400 ft or almost 120 meters to just 255 ft or 77 meters.

And I actually like more the new design of 35HY, just wish it would remain the same size (or even a bit shorter) and this one would keep its former height (or even a bit taller)
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3340
RobertWalpole
BANNED

The rendering is distorted. The model shows that the tower stands out considerably over everything else in Phase 1. In any event, Phase 2 (on the western section) will have 8 very tall buildings which will obscure a lot of Phase 1 anyway, when viewed from the Hudsom.

Subsequence liked this post

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street