daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2013, 12:55 AM   #3381
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

The platform to support the tower first, but by 2015 the whole first phase area should be kicking... going to be so much fun watching the first phase go up!!!!!!

Subsequence liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2013, 02:08 AM   #3382
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
That's news to me! I just took a walk around the site today, and aside from the work on the tunnel box, nothing has changed. There is no additional equipment yet.

Does Related have the authority to regrade the street? As solgoldberg mentioned, there's a pretty appreciable dip in 33rd street between 10th and 11th ave. The new 7 train station on the north side of the street is at least 15 feet higher, and there's just a simple concrete retaining wall along the sidewalk. It's just very hard for me to imagine Hudson Boulevard sauntering downtown through all these blocks that are at such radically different elevations.

Calling the ongoing North Tower site prep work "the groundbreaking of the 80-story North office tower" is a REALLY, REALLY, big stretch. Especially compared to the Dec 4, 2012 groundbreaking for the south tower, where you had suits, pols, vertical auger drills & a lot of construction workers ready to start the work:

Dec 4, 2012 Hudson Yards, NYCMAYORSOFFICE:
image hosted on flickr

BUT, whatever.

based upon the photographic evidence posted by SSP's ILNY (11/10/13) & others, they have been digging in the NE corner of the site. The marked holes are on a grid, so I assume they were cutting the concrete open and verifying (hand digging?) that there were no utilities at those caisson locations.

here's a different shot from ILNY's 11/10 SSP post:
image hosted on flickr

From the 7/7/2013 WSJ:

Quote:
To pinpoint the exact location of railroad infrastructure and utilities, Related began drilling exploratory pits in the railbed in May. It starts relocating utilities later this month, a five-month task, then undertakes the delicate, 14-month installation of caissons in January, riding the rails with specially engineered equipment to drill through soil and rock.
I also assume the ride-the-rails specially engineered drilling equipment will start arriving in the next few weeks. It will then have to assembled.

I assume this "specially engineered" equipment is not merely the 3 tracked Becho owned Bauer drills that have been drilling the secant pile wall for the Amtrak tunnel excavation south of the operational tracks. I've been speculating for a while that they could repurpose those Bauers to drilling caissons outside the excavation pit once they have finished the secant pail excavation wall.

PS: the ENR article also states:
Quote:
By this time next year [i.e.2014], the entire Eastern Rail Yards portion of the 26-acre redevelopment on Manhattan's West Side is slated to be under construction, including four towers, a retail podium and a public plaza.
IMHO they will have 4 towers under "construction" in December '14 ONLY if you count the continuning work on the western end of the Amtrak tunnel box (blasting into bedrock, etc.) to provide a foundation for the Culture tower...

Swiddle, Eric Offereins liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 11th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #3383
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

Went to the exhibit at Time Warner yesterday. Seems you guys have covered it pretty thoroughly -- didn't see anything worth photographing that hasn't already turned up here -- but I can definitely confirm that the young lady working there is very sweet. So much so that I wound up on a mailing list. I am hopeless.

Eric Offereins, Simfan34 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3384
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I'm going after work today. I may just have to inform this young lady that she's the subject of much speculation on the internet. I'm sure she'll take it in stride.

I also plan to closely study the mystery gaps on 33rd st.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3385
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

How does one ask for that photo op without sounding like a SERIOUS weirdo? I thought long and hard and didn't come up with anything.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3386
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Went to the exhibit at Time Warner yesterday. Seems you guys have covered it pretty thoroughly -- didn't see anything worth photographing that hasn't already turned up here -- but I can definitely confirm that the young lady working there is very sweet. So much so that I wound up on a mailing list. I am hopeless.
She's hot and very nice.

Subsequence liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #3387
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Well, I went to the exhibit. Much to my disappointment, they had removed the large detail model. So if you haven't gone yet (tomorrow is the last day), keep in mind that the coolest part is gone. There are, though, lots of fun renderings that aren't currently online.

Did anybody take a picture of the big model looking east? I was interested in seeing the transit tunnels as they are situated beneath the development, particularly 15 HY. I know solgoldberg thinks the Amtrak tunnel box has to be completed before work on the culture tower foundation can begin... but I'm not so sure.

I had a nice conversation with the attendant, who is friendly as reported. After admitting to her that I was a bit of a skyscraper nerd, she proceeded to quiz me on HY facts. I'm ashamed to say that I blanked on the north tower's height... She then remarked on how "tiny" the building I worked in was, which I pointed out to her on the model.

Arawooho liked this post
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #3388
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This beautiful young woman is at the display to answer questions. She doesn't know much about the project, but she's very attractive and very sweet.
Let's be honest, this is far more relevant to most people there than where exactly the height of the buildings are within some +/-50ft range. Even the guy at the top, I bet, cares little if he's standing 1125ft high or 1175 ft high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Dec 4, 2012 Hudson Yards, NYCMAYORSOFFICE:
image hosted on flickr
Ugh, why can't these people stay in power forever! I really regret rooting against Christine Quinn now...
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:32 AM   #3389
solgoldberg

Whew, I thought I had missed it!

Quote:
Well, I went to the exhibit. Much to my disappointment, they had removed the large detail model. So if you haven't gone yet (tomorrow is the last day), keep in mind that the coolest part is gone. There are, though, lots of fun renderings that aren't currently online.

Did anybody take a picture of the big model looking east? I was interested in seeing the transit tunnels as they are situated beneath the development, particularly 15 HY. I know solgoldberg thinks the Amtrak tunnel box has to be completed before work on the culture tower foundation can begin... but I'm not so sure.

I had a nice conversation with the attendant, who is friendly as reported. After admitting to her that I was a bit of a skyscraper nerd, she proceeded to quiz me on HY facts. I'm ashamed to say that I blanked on the north tower's height... She then remarked on how "tiny" the building I worked in was, which I pointed out to her on the model.
I'm glad to hear the detailed model was really missing & that I had not missed it. The exhibit had two "curators", both young women.

At least some of the renders they had up were stale: they showed the "pie-slice" water feature in the central plaza, which the new ones do not.

I took a few photos of the NE corner of the ERY (30 HY foundation area) through the gap in the 33rd st gate. This is the gate/ramp that I assume will be retained in some form when the overbuild deck/platform is built. The photos basically just show more presumed holes-in-concrete in prep for caission drilling starting in January. Holes are covered with steel plates in this shot:

image hosted on flickr

All resolutions available here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11332630043/

Note the back-up generator is the pale blue container next to the ramp on the right: another thing that would require ventilation.

Background data from which I draw my assumptions is the Final Report on the Amtrak Gateway Project -Hudson Yards Study. This was the study, I have no idea what the final design was, but all the alternatives had the tunnel box construction supporting the load of Overbuild tower D, which was also the highest load as you'd expect.

"All five Pricing Solutions require the section of tunnel under the LIRR MOE Building to be constructed during the same construction period as the Overbuild structures owing to the shallow depth of the tunnel in this area.
The southwest end of the alignment, adjacent to Eleventh Avenue, is characterized by the high column loads imposed by the Overbuild Tower D (10,000 kip column loads). The tunnel alignment is also at its deepest in this section."

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 12th, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #3390
solgoldberg

"tiny building" w/ smokestack

Quote:

The curator I talked to laughed at my stupid joke of asking "what building is this?" while pointing to the Empire State Building.

You might work in a relatively tiny building, but your building has that associated smokestack!

12/11 photo looking SE across ERY.
image hosted on flickr

Green ramp down from 10th Ave will be demolished when overbuild platform is constructed next year. The photo also show the SW corner of 450W 33rd, which might get turned into the western terminus/podium of the pedestrian passageway from Manhattan West. Looks like the base of 10 HY is just out-of-frame to the right...

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 12th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3391
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post

Ugh, why can't these people stay in power forever! I really regret rooting against Christine Quinn now...
term limits & election results.

The elections also provided (inter)national entertainment. For example, Joe Lhota (former MTA head), being questioned about his stance on allowing kittens to be electrocuted by the 3rd rail.

AP via the dailymail.uk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ains-them.html
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #3392
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Quote:
I'm going after work today. I may just have to inform this young lady that she's the subject of much speculation on the internet. I'm sure she'll take it in stride.

I also plan to closely study the mystery gaps on 33rd st.
Quote:
She's hot and very nice.
You're not making it any easier for us!

Quote:
This beautiful young woman is at the display to answer questions. She doesn't know much about the project, but she's very attractive and very sweet.
Quote:

Hmm....

Last edited by Simfan34; December 12th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #3393
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

You guys sound like creeps. You should get out of your parents' basements more often.
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:11 AM   #3394
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Hey, I'm fighting stereotypes!
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #3395
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Any hetero dude would love this bird.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3396
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

Quote:
term limits & election results.

The elections also provided (inter)national entertainment. For example, Joe Lhota (former MTA head), being questioned about his stance on allowing kittens to be electrocuted by the 3rd rail.

AP via the dailymail.uk
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ains-them.html
and he doesn't see that he makes an absolute fool of himself?
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #3397
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Back by popular demand

If any of you have missed the Exhibit or missed the models on display, the Exhibit has been extended until Dec 26th.

Simfan34 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #3398
solgoldberg

Tutor-Perini PR: $510M platform contract award

T-P issued a presse release on their contract to build the platform.

Quote:
Tutor Perini Corporation (NYSE: TPC), a leading civil and building construction company, today announced that its Civil Group has recently executed a contract with Related Companies and Oxford Properties Group for construction of a platform structure at Hudson Yards in midtown Manhattan.
The platform, which will be constructed of structural steel frame and feature a reinforced concrete deck, will bridge the active Long Island Rail Road eastern rail yard located south of West 33rd Street between 10th and 11th Avenues, and will serve as the foundation for future buildings at Hudson Yards.
Pre-construction activities related to the platform began in mid-2013. Construction related to the platform has already begun and is expected to be completed in 2016.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...00+BSW20131212

IMHO "Construction related to the platform has already begun" should be translated to site-prep for the platform foundations has already begun. Here's a two day old (12/11) hardcoreshutterbug capture of T-P's "construction related to the platform has already begun". Photo is looking west, taken from the LIRR worker overpass above the yard's throat leading down/east to the Penn Station tracks/yards. I assume the three yellow vertical auger drill rigs are still working on the Amtrak tunnel box secant pile wall:
image hosted on flickr

Original hardcoreshutterbug photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...g/11345313565/

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/1...274bf4ee_o.jpg

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 13th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3399
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Back by popular demand

If any of you have missed the Exhibit or missed the models on display, the Exhibit has been extended until Dec 26th.

Yay!
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #3400
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
T-P issued a presse release on their contract to build the platform.
At least this gives a little more info on their plan of action. Sounds much more traditional than Brookfield's crazy Italian contraption. Hopefully that means faster as well.

solgoldberg liked this post

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street