daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #3401
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Mostly true, except when you have to haul heavy things back & forth. Heavy electrical things, such as maybe transformers, GIANT fuses, etc.

ILNY posted this photo 11/10 on SSP and it shows a big yellow truck parked in the fenced-off substation area, between the AC (ConEd street, just big time) and DC (LIRR traction power) portions. That's the kind of access I'm thinking of. The photo also shows the roadway ACROSS the tracks, but I'm pretty certain the LIRR would not want to use that as it's usual vehicle path.

Also shows spray paint marked rectangles between the tracks: maybe preliminary exploratory excavation work for the overbuild platform/structure caissons? The second photo is s closeup of what looks like timbering across various spray-paint delineated holes in concrete.

PS: You can also see how 33rd street sags down as you travel west from 10th Ave.

Photos from ILNY SSP post http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1576

image hosted on flickr

"HOLE"image hosted on flickr

Who is ILNY on flickr?

And here's a snip from a source-unknown render (part of the midyear AIA seminars?) of what somebody thought the overbuild would look like in '14 & '15. I'm pretty sure there will be no Culture tower rising in '14 but the overbuild platform depictions are food for thought:
image hosted on flickr
That is the exact progress diagram from the Time Warner Center display. I think it is optimistic on the Culture tower, but than again, the entire site is scaffolded and formed up to ground level.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #3402
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
That is the exact progress diagram from the Time Warner Center display. I think it is optimistic on the Culture tower, but than again, the entire site is scaffolded and formed up to ground level.
Thanks: I noticed the diagram on display at TWC also. In addition, somebody had found the actual render timeline .jpg itself.

Some of the renders on display @ TWC were obviously outdated in that they showed the central plaza on the platform having the pie shaped water feature.

I think they will not accomplish what they indicate in the 2014 snapshot & part of my reasoning is based on the 13 moth old tunnel/platform construction study by Tutor Perini/Parsons Brinkerhoff.

"In order to maintain the platform schedule for the ERY, regardless of the construction option selected, the tunnel alignment will be constructed from Tenth Avenue heading west towards Eleventh Avenue. As the first portion of the tunnel alignment (approximately 400 feet) is completed, platform construction will commence working
over the completed tunnel alignment."

So I assume that platform construction will start in the SE corner of the rail yard and the Culture Tower/Tower D stump stump will NOT be built in 2014. I do not which tower is the "Tower A" mentioned in this schedule outline fomr the T-P/P-B study:
image hosted on flickr

This is the site map from the EA, which is clearer than that in the study. I'm assuming the rectangle & squares laid out ona grid are locations of the platform/structure caissons; could be totally wrong:
image hosted on flickr
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #3403
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

From the HY Facebook page:

Quote:
It's a Hudson Yards Fun Fact Friday and an announcement!

Did you know that more than 10,000 people came to see the Hudson Yards exhibit at Time Warner Center? Well they did! And since it was so popular, the exhibit has been extended through December 26th...so there is still time to come see the New Heart of New York if you didn't get a chance (or to visit us again if you want). And don't worry, we're still going to announce the winners of the Coach, Kiehl's and Fairway gift cards on Monday at 1PM.

Vertical_Gotham, Sirius2.0 liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #3404
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28201

wow. that is a lot.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #3405
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
From the HY Facebook page:
I attribute the draw to the beautiful young woman.

L.A.F.2., Subsequence liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3406
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I wonder if they brought the detailed model back?
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3407
Lowkey Lion

Likes (Received): 64

This is a bit off-topic, but it puts the entire Hudson Yards project into perspective: I read where Canary Wharf in London has 14 million square feet of office and retail space. I read that in 2001, London, on the whole, had 26 million square feet of office space. Does anyone have updated numbers?

Manhattan, as a whole, has around 350 million square feet, so Hudson Yards is less important to NYC as Canary Wharf is to London.

As rezoned, the Hudson Yards area will be built up to 25.8 million square feet of office space.

This just shows the power of NY. Hudson Yards, which will still be FAR behind Midtown, Midtown South, and Lower Manhattan, as an office district, will almost match the square feet of London in 2001.

Remarkable.

New York, New York.

Sirius2.0, Arawooho liked this post
Lowkey Lion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #3408
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Your numbers have been converted wrongly. London office space is measured in square metres.

London has over 400 million square feet of office space.

Which is to say nothing of the quality of that office space. Or the location. Or the type of industrial use or the facilities or the transport links and so on and so forth.

I don't know what point you're trying to make by comparing Big Apples to Oranges, but if you're trying to imply NYC is the best because it's the biggest, then Tokyo is where you should be looking

Eric Offereins liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3409
Lowkey Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Your numbers have been converted wrongly. London office space is measured in square metres.

London has over 400 million square feet of office space.

Which is to say nothing of the quality of that office space. Or the location. Or the type of industrial use or the facilities or the transport links and so on and so forth.

I don't know what point you're trying to make by comparing Big Apples to Oranges, but if you're trying to imply NYC is the best because it's the biggest, then Tokyo is where you should be looking
I don't remember where I found the 26 million number, but you are probably right. Where did you find the 400 million number?

NYC is the best city in the world. Tokyo and London have more office space because they are THE city in their respective country, and they are capitals.

NYC has to contend with Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, the Texas cities, and so forth.

It is really a shame that Hollywood happened. The entertainment industry belongs in NYC.
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #3410
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

Edit.

Last edited by Architecture lover; April 5th, 2014 at 04:17 AM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3411
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Manhattan has closer to 500 million square feet of office, not 350 million.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #3412
gugi182
Instagram: gugi182

Likes (Received): 1520

Hoping it gets built
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3413
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey Lion View Post
I don't remember where I found the 26 million number, but you are probably right. Where did you find the 400 million number?

NYC is the best city in the world. Tokyo and London have more office space because they are THE city in their respective country, and they are capitals.

NYC has to contend with Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Chicago, the Texas cities, and so forth.

It is really a shame that Hollywood happened. The entertainment industry belongs in NYC.
London and Tokyo are the biggest cities in their countries, by a mile, but they have stronger links to the region they are in. London competes with Paris and Berlin and Moscow, cities that are as geographically far away as LA is from NYC.

Tokyo also is right at the heart of Asia, and competes with Beijing and Singapore and so on.

Plus, it's a little silly to say that London and Tokyo are only 'big' because of a lack of local competition. New York City is younger than my high school, while London and Tokyo have literally thousands of years of history. London has been the most populous city in the world for a lot longer than New York. And the richest. And the most important.

You need more than a hundred years of good luck and a few big towers under your belt before you start making claims to greatness.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3414
Lowkey Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Tokyo also is right at the heart of Asia, and competes with Beijing and Singapore and so on.
Tokyo is the center of the world's number 3 economy with virtually no Japanese rival for business. NYC is the center of the world's number 1 economy, but America is much more spread out. It's not just LA. We have San Francisco, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland, OKC, the Texas cities, the Ohio cities, the Pennsylvania cities, Boston, Atlanta, the Florida cities, Indy, Minny, DC, and Chicago. Plus, NYC has to deal with the 'burbs, Connecticut, Jersey, etc. stealing business.

Quote:
You need more than a hundred years of good luck and a few big towers under your belt before you start making claims to greatness.
NYC is, and has been, the capital of the MODERN world. I'll give you London for the times when we were ruled by kings and queens, but modernity sides with NYC.

And it wasn't luck that made NYC the world capital. It was the marriage of some pretty good philosophical ideas.
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #3415
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
NYC is, and has been, the capital of the MODERN world. I'll give you London for the times when we were ruled by kings and queens, but modernity sides with NYC.

And it wasn't luck that made NYC the world capital. It was the marriage of some pretty good philosophical ideas.
I love NY, and I even love this country (most of the time), but this is obnoxious American Exceptionalism at it's worst.

"Modern" as you use it is nothing more than a euphemism for western. The spheres of influence are shifting, and will continue to do so. It's only appropriate.

solgoldberg, SE9 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #3416
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Tokyo is the center of the world's number 3 economy with virtually no Japanese rival for business. NYC is the center of the world's number 1 economy, but America is much more spread out. It's not just LA. We have San Francisco, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland, OKC, the Texas cities, the Ohio cities, the Pennsylvania cities, Boston, Atlanta, the Florida cities, Indy, Minny, DC, and Chicago. Plus, NYC has to deal with the 'burbs, Connecticut, Jersey, etc. stealing business.

"Virtually no Japanese rival" really isn't correct at all. Osaka/Keihanshin region and Nagoya/Chukyo region are huge urban centers and major hubs of industry as well, larger and with larger economies than LA or Chicago, and Japan also has many smaller cities with significant industrial and commercial presence, including Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Hiroshima, Hamamatsu, Sendai, Fukushima, etc., all of which are comparable to the second-tier American cities.

Last edited by LastConformist; December 17th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3417
Lowkey Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I love NY, and I even love this country (most of the time), but this is obnoxious American Exceptionalism at it's worst.

"Modern" as you use it is nothing more than a euphemism for western. The spheres of influence are shifting, and will continue to do so. It's only appropriate.

No, I am using "modern" as a term for industrialized societies. Not particularly Western.

America was, and is still to a degree, exceptional.

That circle is full of poor people. By the time they reach The West's level of GDP per capita, The West will have as many people as they do. (immigration to our nations + declining birth rates in Asia as they modernize.
Old December 17th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #3418
Lowkey Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastConformist View Post
"Virtually no Japanese rival" really isn't correct at all. Osaka/Keihanshin region and Nagoya/Chukyo region are huge urban centers and major hubs of industry as well, larger and with larger economies than LA or Chicago, and Japan also has many smaller cities with significant industrial and commercial presence, including Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Hiroshima, Hamamatsu, Sendai, Fukushima, etc., all of which are comparable to the second-tier American cities.
Los Angeles has a higher GDP than Osaka, and Chicago is not far behind. Dallas, Houston, Washington D.C., and Chicago are ahead of Nagoya.

Fukuoka, the first on your list of second-tier cities, is behind San Diego and ahead of Detroit. Congrats on that.
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3419
Archaean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:

You speak of "American Exceptionalism" as if America is the only country that has exceptionalist tendencies. Pull your head out of your ass and realize that all major countries practice exceptionalism. There would be no progress without the competition that results from exceptionalism. Theres nothing wrong with being an exceptionalist, especially for a country like the US which has the influence to back those claims.
Archaean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #3420
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:

Yah. And the production HQ for feeding the American exceptionalism BS via the telly ("America's News HQ") is located in Rockefeller Center, NY, NY, USA. And that production HQ was (is?) headed by an Aussie, of course: NYC was and is a city of immigrants.

Note that we are spending billions of $$ to raise our bridges and deepen our shipping channels (blasting into Upper NY Harbor bedrock now) to enable even lower cost shipping from that highlighted circle in Asia to the Port of Newark.

Anyway, here's some western Judeo-Christian cheer in NYC (IND 8th Ave @ 42nd St/PABT) from a couple of years ago:

Jim Henderson/Wikipedia http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._IND_8_jeh.jpg

PS: I wasn't really aware of the SantaCon "tradition" till now. This is time.com coverage of santaCon 2013 in NY, Ny:
Quote:
Participants of the infamous SantaCon stormed the streets of Manhattan this weekend, stumbling around the East Village in the name of, as the SantaCon website puts it, “a nonsensical Santa Claus convention that happens once a year for absolutely no reason.”

The convention attracted much ire this year, with locals complaining about the poor behavior of the revelrous Santas. As one East Village flier announced, “Alcohol Soaked Father Christmas-themed flash mob not welcome here. Take your body fluids and public intoxication elsewhere.”

Still, that didn’t stop hundreds of participants from gathering in Tompkins Square Park and engaging in some holiday-themed merry making, despite the freezing snow.
This sounds like a vast improvement over late '70s Tompkins Square Park activity...

Read more: SantaCon 2013: Santas Storm Manhattan Streets, Drinking and Fighting | TIME.com http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/16/...#ixzz2nl1PIk4Q

j-biz liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 17th, 2013 at 08:31 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street