daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3441
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I liked the old design of 35 Hudson from some angles, but from others I thought it was ugly
I found the old design pretty boring. Definitely like the new one better, just wish that 30 HY was still full height.

Sirius2.0, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #3442
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I'd rather have option B

I liked the old design of 35 Hudson from some angles, but from others I thought it was ugly

However the new design is more consistent and I LOVE the spiral facade as well as the materials and colours, and the square to circular design.
I agree, could not have said it any better.

The haircut for 30 Hudson sucks, but I would select project B to build. The redesign of 35 Hudson and height increase for both 35 & 15 makes it worthy IMO.

Raising the height of 15 Hudson is a biggie too, cuz it makes the tower elongated instead of being on the heavy side. #much sleeker

If they cut 30 HY by another 5 ft, then Related and I will have problems. Lol

Sirius2.0, j-biz liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #3443
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

WHAT do we know about 30 HY?

All I've seen so far is the models & renders of various flavors. Even the recent/current exhibition @ TWC has stale/not-believable renders, such as that progress time line I've questioned.

I DO believe they will start caisson foundation work someplace in the ERY next month, based upon the fairly consistent statements by Related & the physical evidence of test pits in the ERY (example 12/19 photo below) and the continuing progress on the Amtrak gateway tunnel box excavation.

BUT, is there diagrammatic paperwork filed with the city indicating what the general form/elevation of the platform or 30HY will be??

This hardcoreshutterbug 12-19 photo shows what I assume are the steel plates, timbering, orange spray paint, traffic cones of the test pits/possible signal-power cable relocatiions:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...n/photostream/
The three drill rigs that were/are working on the excavations secant pile wall are still present. I see no sign yet of the special drill rig on rails Related has mentioned.

TowerVerre:), Tubeworm liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 20th, 2013 at 07:38 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3444
Vertical_Gotham

@NYCMayorsOffice

Quote:
We're investing $3 billion in the 7 Train, a new park & boulevard, & the Hudson Yards district and developers have committed $11+ billion.
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #3445
Vertical_Gotham

Further Work Details Revealed on Three Major NYC Projects
http://newyork.construction.com/new_...c-projects.asp

Quote:
The biggest in contract value of these comes from Tutor Perini Corp., whose Civil Group was awarded the $510-million contract to build the platform structure at the Hudson Yards development site on Manhattan's west side. The Dec. 12 announcement follows ground breaking of the second tower, 30 Hudons Yards, at the 26-acre site on Dec. 4.

Pre-construction activities on the platform began in mid-2013. Work related to the platform has already begun and is expected to be completed in 2016.

Quote:
The structural steel frame platform will feature a reinforced concrete deck and will bridge the active Long Island Rail Road in the Eastern Rail Yards portion of the site. Construction will be coordinated with work already under way on the Amtrak concrete tunnel box, the Gateway right-of-way preservation project at the same site, Tutor Perini said in a Dec. 12 statement.
By this time next year, the entire Eastern Rail Yards portion of the site will be under construction, including four towers, a retail podium and a public plaza, says a spokeswoman at Related Cos., which is co-developing the site with Oxford Properties.
Old December 21st, 2013, 01:13 AM   #3446
solgoldberg

Where's the diagrams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Further Work Details Revealed on Three Major NYC Projects
http://newyork.construction.com/new_...c-projects.asp
Thanks for posting that. That's really more of the same really-stretching-it statements they've been making since that tower-cake 1st anniversary ceremony Dec 4TH.

T-P is the contractor for the platform AND the contractor for the Amtrak Gateway Tunnel box AND the prime for the overall Hudson Yards. So, yeah, I certainly hope "Construction will be coordinated with work already under way on the Amtrak concrete tunnel box"

"Work related to the platform has already begun and is expected to be completed in 2016." - As I've stated, I assume that work is the marked test pits within the active rail yard AND the appearance of a couple of construction trailers and a storage container in the NE yard.

Again, I assume the arrival & assembly of the special drill rig (wonder who built it?) will be quite noticeable. Wonder where that rig is going to be stored during the daytime as all those trains are switched into and out of the yard...
Old December 21st, 2013, 02:41 PM   #3447
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

I like a bit of overblown arrogance every so often. Sometimes it comes true.

"We're basically going to build everything, all at once, and it will be huge".

Sometimes this project is like a five year old playing with LEGO. And... and then there's this tower, and this tower, and this one with weird point bits. And let's make this one even bigger! Yaaay. And we'll build it all on top of train tracks. I like trains!

solgoldberg liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM   #3448
solgoldberg

hyperbole, egos, bigger, all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
I like a bit of overblown arrogance every so often. Sometimes it comes true.

"We're basically going to build everything, all at once, and it will be huge".

Sometimes this project is like a five year old playing with LEGO. And... and then there's this tower, and this tower, and this one with weird point bits. And let's make this one even bigger! Yaaay. And we'll build it all on top of train tracks. I like trains!
true.

and probably massive egos are involved (and/or the media boost this aspect).

I also quote the peortage of Mayor Bloomberg's ceremonial train ride visit to THE 34th Street Hudson Yards #7 subway station (one block west of 30 HY) yesterday:
“the perfect symbol of New York City, what it’s become once again: a place where big projects can be done.”
"For a one-stop subway extension priced at $2.4 billion, the pomp and circumstance was almost too much, and when Bloomberg dropped an “on time and on budget” reference into his remarks, I shed a tear for our dearly departed station at 41st St. and 10th Ave." - Benjamin kabak/secondavenuesagas

I like trains AND NYC lives/grows due to trains.

The "all at once" bit gets very interesting in Manhattan, on top of & in between train tracks, multiple major projects, LOTS of different agencies, etc, etc.

All I'm looking for is 30Hy's equivalent of the 10 HY diagram/document below. Note that this simple diagram even shows the parking garage entrance under the High Line.:
image hosted on flickr
Old December 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3449
solgoldberg

official documentation; build everything all at once

I poked into the interubes and came across this tidbit from the City Planning Commission (June 19, 2013), related to changes to the famed "Culture Shed".

From the Site History section:

Quote:
The designated developer for the ERY, ERY Tenant, is in the process of applying for a building permit for the first tower to be constructed in the ERY, an office building to be located on Tenth Avenue between West 30th and West 31st Streets east of the Culture Shed and labeled Tower C.
ERY Tenant is also preparing plans for a retail building on Tenth Avenue north of the Tower C office building, and a primarily residential tower west of and abutting the Culture Shed Site labeled Tower D.
I assume the Axonometric Diagram filed with the DoB I reposted above is a product of "applying for a building permit for the first tower" ie 10 HY.

So where are the DoB filings for the "ground breaking of the second tower, 30 Hudson Yards, at the 26-acre site on Dec. 4."

PS: The CPC quote above does make mention of Related/Oxford making plans for Tower D, but I really really see no practical, real-life, way that Tower D could be up to the stump level shown in their TWC exhibit:
image hosted on flickr
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM   #3450
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Perini has started several of the between-track columns. They are excavating with the 2 vacuum trucks-these have HiRiders-railroad wheels that let them travel on the tracks. The holes are supported with pressed steel liner rings. This is the same technique that Perini is using at Sunnyside Yards for the bases of high voltage towers on their East Side Access contracts.
They were very busy today (Saturday) excavating the tunnel trench and digging the foundations in the LIRR yard-very few trains stored on the weekend.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #3451
solgoldberg

T-P @ work in the yard, between the tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
Perini has started several of the between-track columns. They are excavating with the 2 vacuum trucks-these have HiRiders-railroad wheels that let them travel on the tracks. The holes are supported with pressed steel liner rings. This is the same technique that Perini is using at Sunnyside Yards for the bases of high voltage towers on their East Side Access contracts.
They were very busy today (Saturday) excavating the tunnel trench and digging the foundations in the LIRR yard-very few trains stored on the weekend.
Thanks for the info. I assume they were using the vacuum trucks (and hand digging) as excavators at night time between the tracks (much to the annoyance of the forum follower/city painter renting in the Ohm building).

I'm somewhat familiar (in the MTACC flickr photostream) with some of the drilling/excavating they've been doing in Sunnyside & along the main line. I'm assuming you're describing what produced this, correct?

image hosted on flickr

MTACCflick "CH053 - Catenary Existing Foundation Retrofit (9-29-2011)"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtacc-esa/6195025278/

How far down can that excavation technique take them?

Don't they have to go down to rock for the tower foundations themselves?
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3452
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

The photo shows what I meant.
In this case, I think that the liner rings are just a template to start the hole-and protect the tracks. They will probably drill through them.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3453
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Once again, Related is announcing ownership of the McDs site.

Looking south from 34th St and Hudson Boulevard.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by RobertWalpole; December 23rd, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3454
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
The photo shows what I meant.
In this case, I think that the liner rings are just a template to start the hole-and protect the tracks. They will probably drill through them.
Gotcha, thanks.

ILNY at SSP has posted a photo of this operation:
ILNY's photos are from this post:
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=1663

A close up of one of the pit/template starter holes with Guzzler vacuum trucks present and pallets of sacks of what?
image hosted on flickr

And a slightly zoomed out photo from a different hour or day that provides a greater perspective. I think the work site in the previous photo is blocked (to the left) by the east end of the train in this photo. Photos are taken looking east from the 11th Ave viaduct:
image hosted on flickr

"They will probably drill through them." - the drill gizmo on train wheels should be an interesting gizmo since I assume it will not be 'just" a track Bauer auger drill with HiRiders-railroad wheels ...

L.A.F.2., Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; December 23rd, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old December 28th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #3455
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I **** wait to see the "big bombastic fountains."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij_pO4OfltI
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:17 PM   #3456
twintowers2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

this is the mega project i have waited for new york to build in decades
long live the king
twintowers2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:43 PM   #3457
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

image hosted on flickr

Hudson Yards, NYC by michele palazzo, on Flickr

phoenixboi08, orange boy, aade, tim1807 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:10 PM   #3458
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I wonder if the base on the TW's east facade was redesigned.

Here's the older design:

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by RobertWalpole; January 3rd, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:01 PM   #3459
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I wonder if the base on the TW's east facade was redesigned.
It looks like it! I like the new look. It's classier and more inviting. Less massive feel imo.

older design

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:10 PM   #3460
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

That is some major change, interesting.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street