daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:04 PM   #3461
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

But it looks indeed alot better
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:35 PM   #3462
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Man, every update to these designs makes them seem busier and busier...
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:49 PM   #3463
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4537

That's a great change! Makes it feel less like a bland and lifeless wall and feels more lole q street with multiple buildings on now

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3464
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

image hosted on flickr

VKristoff

Subsequence, Eric Offereins liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM   #3465
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Is there any known development where that blue ventilation building betw 35th & 36th in that pic??

I know right across the future Hudson Boulevard Is Related & Spitzer's site.

Also, a great site for future development is that plot of land between 33rd and 34th street, west of 11th avenue just south of the Javits Conv Center (where the trailers are). That section is not part of Related's Phase 2 site because I believe that starts below 33rd street.

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; January 3rd, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #3466
Glen Bates

Likes (Received): 29

I didn't expect to see renders of such stunning proportions. Seems like NYC is still going to be at the forefront of Skyscraper boundaries for decades to come! Great thread. - G
Glen Bates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:17 PM   #3467
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I wonder if the base on the TW's east facade was redesigned.

Here's the older design:

that is a big improvement IMO. The structure is more visible and the facade is also different.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:36 PM   #3468
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Last status of Javits hotel site(s)??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Is there any known development where that blue ventilation building betw 35th & 36th in that pic??

I know right across the future Hudson Boulevard Is Related & Spitzer's site.

Also, a great site for future development is that plot of land between 33rd and 34th street, west of 11th avenue just south of the Javits Conv Center (where the trailers are). That section is not part of Related's Phase 2 site because I believe that starts below 33rd street.
Good questions!

AFAIK that site (the blue vent building in the 2012 photo) was built for a hotel, hence the 11th Ave underpass. You can find documents in the last few years where the open excavations on 11th Ave are shown as MTA projects. I have no idea why the MTA would open the full width of 11th Ave for this site. Part of the site itself is also underlain by Amtrak's Empire connection. This site is where the Empire connection (heading north) has looped back to the east of 11th Ave.

I'm assuming that this site would be more attractive for a hotel as the Hudson Yards area is developed and becomes more a real neighborhood. You could stroll down Hudson Blvd Park (in good weather) check out the public stuff on the overbuild plaform, continue further south on the High Line, etc..

solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 10:51 PM   #3469
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This'll be a nice bookend to 10 HY on the other side of the retail podium. It should really look nice and cohesive from 10th Ave.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:01 PM   #3470
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Good questions!

AFAIK that site (the blue vent building in the 2012 photo) was built for a hotel, hence the 11th Ave underpass.
Thanks! That's interesting.. I wonder who owns that site for that Hotel? I had heard of some big hotel planned around in the area but was unsure of the location. Near Supertall potential??
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3471
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
This'll be a nice bookend to 10 HY on the other side of the retail podium. It should really look nice and cohesive from 10th Ave.

Agreed! It will look very nice. I like what they will be doing with the columns for both 10 & 30 HY.

I really like the new look of 30 HY base. Looks more edgier.
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:19 AM   #3472
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I think this was planned all along, the back always seemed really under designed compared to the front so it was probably just a place holder.

All four corners of the two towers complex have the columns now and 3 out of the four have the cut corner style entrance. The sad part is the Girasole shares this type of entrance while 50 and 55 HY don't.

How can the competition's long term design match the main towers better than Related's own designs do?
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #3473
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

the redesign is much nicer, that huge face of glass would have been intimidating in a bad way.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #3474
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6878

NYC 2020

on NY Yimby

Nikolai Fedak on January 1st 2014

Sirius2.0 liked this post
the man from k-town no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #3475
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

They're a-digging over here!

All photos from jglover1028

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

What happened to the shelter??? It's been destroyed and partially burned... I hope he's OK.

image hosted on flickr
Old January 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3476
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

oh man!

Explosions Coming to Hudson Yards Tunnel Construction Project

By Mathew Katz on January 9, 2014 8:35am

Quote:
HUDSON YARDS — Construction at Hudson Yards is about to get loud.

For the next six months, West Siders living and working near the Hudson Yards construction site will have to endure as many as four explosions each day as workers begin boring a tunnel under the Hudson River.

The blasts are the beginnings of the Gateway Project, which will eventually allow additional Amtrak and other trains to run between Penn Station and Newark.

The explosions could begin as early as next week, according to The Related Companies, which is building the massive Hudson Yards development in the area and is also managing the tunnel construction, along with the Tutor Perini Corporation. Related recently sent a warning about the blasts to Community Board 4 and local elected officials.

The work involves demolition, excavation and removal of rock under the West Side Rail Yards in order to preserve a space for train tracks when construction on the the future Gateway Project begins. The $133 million job will make way for two concrete, flood-resistant tunnels that will eventually help increase travel between New York and New Jersey.

"The work anticipates four short blasts between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. weekdays and is being conducted in compliance with the relevant permits issued by DEP and FDNY," said Related spokeswoman Jessica Scaperotti.

While Related doesn't expect the explosions to be a regular occurrence, the company has permission from the city to blast up to four times daily during weekdays, Scaperotti said.

According to Related, noise levels will be monitored by on-site crews and each blast will be brief.
And I love this part:
Quote:
An Amtrak spokesman said he was not aware of the work.

iamtheSTIG, Sirius2.0 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:09 PM   #3477
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Complicated infrastructure ownership: NY, NY!

Thanks for the update.

The blasting real-soon-now notice means they've gotten down to bedrock someplace along the excavation trench. My guess, from your photos, is the western (11th Ave) end.

The "An Amtrak spokesman said he was not aware of the work." does not surprise.
Amtrak does not seem to have much of a modern 'social media" machine. And, the way this was financed/managed is fairly convoluted. Amtrak was holding back the platform overbuild through the MTA/LIRR courtesy of Amtrak's Gateway tunnel aspect. The Gateway tunnel aspect only popped up in the last few years AFTER NJ guv Christie cancelled the ARC tunnels/project.

Basically theChuckster (NY Sen Schumer) funneled $185M of SS Sandy FED $$ to Tutor Perini to build the tunnel box for Amtrak (which has no $). Tutor Perini is the overall contractor for Hudson Yards, is working "next door" @ 10 HY and has been working on the MTA LIRR's East Side Access for YEARS.

Anyway, I hope I see the actual Gateway tunnels under the Hudson completed in my lifetime.
PS: The mess with "Moynihan Station" is equally complicated.

And again, thanks for the photos!

I'll be in the area next Thursday. I'm planning on borrowing my wife's camera which has a slightly more powerful zoom than my digicam, so that I can get better shots of the actual 30 HY site (the LIRR substation/control tower).

Last edited by solgoldberg; January 10th, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:08 AM   #3478
Vertical_Gotham

Time Warner Nears Deal to Sell Headquarters
$1.3 Billion Bid Backed by Funds From Abu Dhabi, Singapore

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...9722#printMode

Quote:
When Related Cos. needed financing for its $1.3 billion bid for Manhattan's Time Warner Center, it turned to a ready source of money: foreign buyers.

It found willing backers in sovereign-wealth funds from Abu Dhabi and Singapore, which agreed to finance more than 80% of the purchase, according to people with knowledge of discussions.

The Related-led group and Time Warner Inc., which owns the building, are now close to a deal and an agreement could be announced as soon as Thursday, the people said.

The transaction would be one of the biggest in a surge of deals involving foreign investors in U.S. commercial real estate. Increased demand from overseas has helped drive U.S. commercial property values to record levels, particularly in major cities favored by global firms.

Foreign buyers are seeking out the U.S. as a place to spend their growing piles of cash, particularly as other markets such as Europe remain anemic. Non-U.S. buyers purchased more than $46 billion of property 2013, up from $35 billion in 2012 and the most since 2007, according to real-estate data firm Real Capital Analytics Inc.
Quote:
As part of the deal, Time Warner would move to a new tower that Related plans to develop in its sprawling Hudson Yards project on Manhattan's far West Side. Related hasn't completed financing for that building.
I expect TWC to purchase their space at the North tower with the proceeds. It's expected they will need aprox 1.2 m sf so I estimate the price they will pay will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5 Billion.

Ghostface79 liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; January 15th, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #3479
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

That'll be the third supertall to move forward this year along with TV and 3WTC. Now I'm anxiously waiting to hear from Nordstrom, Steinway and my favorite, 2WTC, tho I'm not sure we'll see any action on the latter this year.... But again, you never know.

Eric Offereins liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #3480
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
That'll be the third supertall to move forward this year along with TV and 3WTC. Now I'm anxiously waiting to hear from Nordstrom, Steinway and my favorite, 2WTC, tho I'm not sure we'll see any action on the latter this year.... But again, you never know.
What's the tally for towers entering U/C this year? Does anyone know? VerticalGothem? RobertW?

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street