daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 19th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #3601
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

There's also a heliport just a few blocks west of HY on the river.

It would be super badass to see helicopters taking off from NY rooftops. Alas, that all occurred way before my time.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #3602
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

LA also has (had?) a municipal law requiring helipads on tall buildings.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:35 AM   #3603
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

LA mandates helipads on buildings of a certain height or taller to aid in fighting fires. This law was put in place in 1974 (around the time The Towering Inferno was released).

Wiki regarding the new skyscraper about to begin construction in LA, the Wilshire Grand:

The skyscraper will also be a distinctive part of the Los Angeles skyline, as it will be the first to not feature a "flat roof" design, an integral part of buildings in Los Angeles today. The pattern of buildings in Los Angeles to feature these "flat roofs" were the result of a 1974 fire ordinance which required all tall buildings in the city to include rooftop helipads. The Wilshire Grand was granted an exception by the Los Angeles City Fire Department however, as the building will include advances in fire safety and building technology which would exceed the city's current fire code.

Another quote about the Wilshire, from Curbed:

"The change was allowed by the LA Fire Department due to new advances in building technology involving the structure's elevator shafts to be reinforced within a concrete core, which actually elevates the fire safety standard making the building even safer in emergency situations."

Article about LA roofs (says buildings over 75 feet tall must have helipads on the roof, which is amazing if true):

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...ies_curbed.php
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #3604
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
There's also a heliport just a few blocks west of HY on the river.

It would be super badass to see helicopters taking off from NY rooftops. Alas, that all occurred way before my time.
You also missed the dirigibles docking at the Empire State Building (I'm kidding)

AFAIK, that heliport (West 30th Street Heliport) on the Hudson was PANYNJ's 1st heliport
Quote:
Heliport to Open Sept. 26 [1956]

The Port of New York Authority has set Sept. 26 as the official opening date of the Manhattan heliport at West Thirtieth Street and the Hudson River.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...D0405B8689F1D3

According to Wikipedia: "The original heliport opened with two landing pads on September 26, 1956 and in December New York Airways began scheduled passenger flights, the first airline flights to Manhattan.[2]"

NY Airways was the operator of the helo service from the PAN Am building roof AND another fatal accident shut down NYA:

Quote:
On April 18, 1979, Sikorsky S-61L (N618PA), while on departure climbout from EWR [Newark], experienced a fracture of one of the tail rotor blades, resulting in severe vibrations and an immediate return and descent to the airport. At about 150 feet altitude, the entire tail rotor gearbox was torn from the aircraft, resulting in an immediate and radical center of gravity change to the aircraft. This caused a severe nose down attitude and uncontrolled contact with the ground. Compounding the accident was the failure of both hydraulic systems due to the loss of the tail rotor gear box, which rendered the aircraft virtually uncontrollable. There were three fatalities and thirteen serious injuries. The airline ceased flying that day and never resumed operations, filing for bankruptcy the following month. [9]
Just to be accurate/less fatalistic, please note that scheduled AIRPLANE flights have gotten VERY safe in the USA, but I know very little about scheduled helo flights in the USA.

Last edited by solgoldberg; February 19th, 2014 at 04:28 AM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #3605
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

I think the reason I like this project so much is because the layout isn't limited by the traditional New York block system. My only question is why is it that this site is now just being used for development?
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:27 AM   #3606
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

It is not a very developed part of Manhattan and covering tracks is expensive. A new subway station and rezoning of the entire area made it possible.

Last edited by Funkyskunk2; February 19th, 2014 at 05:33 AM.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #3607
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
It is not a very developed part of Manhattan and covering tracks is expensive. A new subway station and rezoning of the entire area made it possible.
And it's clear many firms are anxious to get out of their outdated offices in midtown. I feel HYs poached many potential tenants from WTC as, for all intents and purposes, it's practically in Midtown.
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #3608
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajosh821 View Post
This project is better than WTC Towers.
It is my favorite project in NY, but also personally I don't like the WTC, especially tower 1, with that horrible antenna.

These towers are bold in design, and even more daring in location.
Old February 19th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #3609
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
this section of the far west side is an old transportation/warehousing area that was intimately linked to shipping on/across the Hudson.

When rail freight & the West Side piers died out (before my time) it took a LONG time for government & private interests to respond effectively ($$, LOTS of, & plans). The existence of an obsolete-when-built-in-the-1920s elevated highway & the battle over the defeated Westway AND the city's near bankruptcy did not help.

In more current times (the 200Xs) the fact that the American economy was being driven by an almost pureBS RE boom which collapsed did not help, either.

Note that the LIRR West Side Yard tracks that will be overbuilt were constructed/excavated in the 1980s. The WSY replaced a mish-mosh of obsolete ~street-grade freight tracks/yards/etc that dated back to the 1850s.

When the WSY was built it was constructed with caissons for an overbuild development that did NOT happen:
Quote:
The [overbuild platform] design is being modified to eliminate the need for 50 new caissons as it was realized that part of the structure could stand on 50 existing caissons that were installed in the 1980’s for a project that was never built over the yard.
The above quote is from this construction-interesting May 2013 article:

http://glcm.cee.illinois.edu/node/191

This 2006 NYT article "After 20 Yeasr of Delays..." gives a small overview of the battles that shaped the western boundary of what will eventually become "Hudson Yards":
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/ny...anted=all&_r=0
& this federale post has more info from the gummint bureacracy/design level:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/...ility/ch09.cfm

"Section of collapsed West Side Highway in 1972"

McSky, Funkyskunk2 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; February 19th, 2014 at 10:41 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #3610
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Obs.deck @ 1,054ft:

Wow! I love that the observation deck has so many floors to it, especially that little mini-elevator that leads to the small area at the top. Can't wait to visit this when it's done!
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3611
LordGrantham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

LordGrantham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #3612
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I like the profile of these towers viewing from the West.\

orange boy, AlePa2013, wicca13 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:56 PM   #3613
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

I agree but I'm less impressed by the low building in between.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:07 AM   #3614
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Can this be more or less what we can expect for Related's HY phase 2?

The layout of these towers exactly matches the phase 2 map below:

I heard there is a real possibility Robert AM Stern will be designing a couple of tower in phase 2. The 2 Towers with the school in between looks like something he would design.

Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM   #3615
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

i'd expect we're several years out from any form of finalization for phase 2, twin Stern towers would be nice though. They would make a nice contrast to the postmodern Silver Towers just to the north.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #3616
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

I have to say, I'm not that thrilled by the spacing of those (granted, still very hypothetical) towers. Feels like a lot of the Chinese developments with towers spaced apart by wide plazas. Pretty, but not particularly walkable.

The 31st Street side looks like it'll have a decent street wall, but unless you're going to that school or stepping up onto the High Line, it seems like there'll be very little reason to walk along the 30th Street side. Here's hoping they wind up putting some kind of retail or other public program in the base of the middle-and-park-facing-sides of these towers, so that people walking through will have something to do.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM   #3617
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I have to say, I'm not that thrilled by the spacing of those (granted, still very hypothetical) towers. Feels like a lot of the Chinese developments with towers spaced apart by wide plazas. Pretty, but not particularly walkable.

The 31st Street side looks like it'll have a decent street wall, but unless you're going to that school or stepping up onto the High Line, it seems like there'll be very little reason to walk along the 30th Street side. Here's hoping they wind up putting some kind of retail or other public program in the base of the middle-and-park-facing-sides of these towers, so that people walking through will have something to do.
I think the railyards dictate the layout of the site....unless they volunteer to take out a few tracks.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:06 PM   #3618
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Those phase two towers have been like that forever. When the office block was just two boxes and 15 and 35 did not exist they were like that. It will be different.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:53 PM   #3619
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Didn't this tower break ground in December? Or at least the base?

If so I'd say it's technically u/c but correct me if I'm wrong
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:01 PM   #3620
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

it's not u/c till there's rebar or something else indicative of vertical progress
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street