daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:20 PM   #3621
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I think the railyards dictate the layout of the site....unless they volunteer to take out a few tracks.
Ah right, that was a dumb oversight on my part. I realize the location of the tower cores will be dictated by the tracks, but couldn't they build low-rise (like 2-story) filler between the towers, supported by the platform over the tracks?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:33 PM   #3622
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

While it is certainly cheaper to build on the solid ground to the south I thought there was space left between the tracks so columns to support towers could be placed anywhere.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 04:35 AM   #3623
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

@ visualhouse ny

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; February 24th, 2014 at 04:45 AM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #3624
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I have to say, I'm not that thrilled by the spacing of those (granted, still very hypothetical) towers. Feels like a lot of the Chinese developments with towers spaced apart by wide plazas. Pretty, but not particularly walkable.

The 31st Street side looks like it'll have a decent street wall, but unless you're going to that school or stepping up onto the High Line, it seems like there'll be very little reason to walk along the 30th Street side. Here's hoping they wind up putting some kind of retail or other public program in the base of the middle-and-park-facing-sides of these towers, so that people walking through will have something to do.
Well, since most of those towers will be residential, they don't have to be particularly walkable.

Actually the opposite. I lived in a building placed on a "very walkable" street and shops on the first floor, I prefer much more one with gardens as I live now, and I'm sure most potential residents of those towers would prefer that and not a busy (noisy) retail zone.

Old February 24th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3625
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #3626
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsequence View Post
How would you know that? This is one of those cases where it's best to speak for yourself and not for others. This could-be residents and passers-by are living in a city after all...
I know that, because I worked in a real estate agency... most people prefer a quiet area to live (if possible, even in big cities).

and also... as you can see... the developers know that too... that's why they didn't plan a particularly walkable area, but more of a "green" area.

so yeah... it is one of those cases where it's best to speak for yourself, if you prefer a noisy and busy area, and not a quiet and "green" one.
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #3627
unmentioned

Likes (Received): 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I know that, because I worked in a real estate agency... most people prefer a quiet area to live (if possible, even in big cities).
And therefore you know everything? This is Manhattan. I'd imagine that people in search of suburban quietude probably aren't starting their search here. Don't make generalizations, unless you like looking ignorant.
unmentioned no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #3628
luci203

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmentioned View Post
And therefore you know everything? This is Manhattan. I'd imagine that people in search of suburban quietude probably aren't starting their search here. Don't make generalizations, unless you like looking ignorant.
And yet, developers decided to build that area with green spaces.

So they are ignorant too?

j-biz liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #3629
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Some areas with a high residential component are designed to be more active than others. Towers D and E in Hudson Yards East (Corset and Equinox) will be in an area with more tourists and more activity than the residential buildings across 11th Avenue in Hudson Yards West. It's nice for people considering a life in Hudson Yards to have a choice in this regard.

citybooster, Subsequence liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #3630
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

why are people upset? this doesn't make sense
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #3631
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Not sure if this is a new or old model posted to the HY Facebook page today. I think it's new as it appears to have the redesigned 30HY base:

That reminds me, did anybody get a good shot of those tunnels at the bottom of the big model at the TWC display? If so, please PM me. I'm dying to know what those labels say. Alternatively, if anybody just knows regardless, do tell. I'm guessing they represent Amtrak, NJ transit, etc, but not sure what else.

The HY Facebook page also linked to a great article in the Times about Richard Tenguerian, the master model builder who made the models above, along with hundreds others: A Translator of Blueprints. What an awesome job that would be.

Vertical_Gotham, Funkyskunk2 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #3632
Vertical_Gotham

good to see the massing for 50 Hudson Yards. Looks just to be shy of the observation deck of 30 Hudson at 1080'
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #3633
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Not sure if this is a new or old model posted to the HY Facebook page today. I think it's new as it appears to have the redesigned 30HY base:

That reminds me, did anybody get a good shot of those tunnels at the bottom of the big model at the TWC display? If so, please PM me. I'm dying to know what those labels say. Alternatively, if anybody just knows regardless, do tell. I'm guessing they represent Amtrak, NJ transit, etc, but not sure what else.

The HY Facebook page also linked to a great article in the Times about Richard Tenguerian, the master model builder who made the models above, along with hundreds others: A Translator of Blueprints. What an awesome job that would be.
The left most tunnel is Amtrak's Empire Connection, the next two to the right (north) & lower down are the historic PRR/Amtrak Hudson(North) River tunnels & the right(north) most is the overbuilt throat to the LIRR's West Side Yard.

The Empire connection & WSY "tunnels" were built in the 1980s to provide access (other than popping up across the Hudson in NJ) to the west end of the Penn Station pit.

The concrete casing (tunnel box) for the Empire Connection tunnel forms the north wall of the east end of the CURRENT Amtrak Gateway tunnel box excavation pit in the West Side Yard. I assume they just removed the ~quarter century old backfill in that area of the current Gateway tunnel box excavation, ie, they did not have to drill in that specific area to create a secant pile SOE wall.

PS: Since December's TWC display was invoked & I looked through my photos, I'm reposting a snip of the BUILD timeline from the 10 Hudson Yards countdown clock display. Note that it shows the eastern side of the overbuild platform BUILT in 2014 & extending north from 10 HY to the LIRR's electrical substation/control tower (overbuild site of 30 HY):

image hosted on flickr

I would be really surprised if the Hudson Yards site has the stump/core of the Culture Tower this year:

j-biz, ILNY liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; February 25th, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #3634
Funkyskunk2

50 HY is way too small there, weird. Look at 35 hy, either the modeler did it wrong or the design will emphasize the flat walls with creases going up, that's new to me.
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #3635
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
The left most tunnel is Amtrak's Empire Connection, the next two to the right (north) & lower down are the historic PRR/Amtrak Hudson(North) River tunnels & the right(north) most is the overbuilt throat to the LIRR's West Side Yard.
Thanks!
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #3636
Vertical_Gotham

How to build a Brand-New Neighborhood in NYC

Building an iconic tower in New York City comes with many challenges -- now multiply that by 15. Jay Cross is leading the financing, planning and construction efforts of the nearly 30-acre Hudson Yards development raising Manhattan's West Side to new heights. When completed, the Hudson Yards will have added fifteen new buildings to Manhattan's already impressive skyline. Cross talks about some of the challenges he and his team have faced while planning a project of this scale and how he hopes it will impact the city.

wicca13 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #3637
Vertical_Gotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Although these are not final designs for Phase 2 (in fact, the Phase 1 towers differ from what's rising), the tower in the middle looks like a mini "Stairway to Heaven" (ie, 111 W 57th).
I personally like that phase 2 design and hope more or less that's what will be planned. Since there are rumors that stern will have a couple projects in phase 2, maybe those twin apartment buildings w school in the middle will be it.

I know heights will definitely change but those towers looks like a good 70 floors.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #3638
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22542

the "West Tower", the only office tower in phase 2 has a massive base. Hopefully they'll do something iconic but I fear it will be your run-of-the-mill midtown box.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #3639
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

My god, that render was horrible. Thank heavens we didn't end up with that mediocre pile of nonsense. This is not the 90's.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #3640
Funkyskunk2

I hope to one day speak of Manhattan West in a similar manner.

MarshallKnight, Tower Dude liked this post

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street