daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #3821
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

NYT has a feature on the structural engineering

Quote:
Her team at Thornton Tomasetti, where she is a vice chairman, conjured the 37,000-ton platform at Hudson Yards that will support 500,000 tons of construction divided between two towers and a retail podium.
-NYT; the two towers are 30 HY & 35 HY

There is some discussion of the fact that 10HY "is the city’s first all-concrete commercial skyscraper"
and lots of other tidbits, such as “We’re still in the baby steps of the whole project,”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/re...n.html?hp&_r=0
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #3822
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Is there a reason why this thread is still in the "proposed" category? I'm new here so I apologize for not fully knowing the rules.

Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #3823
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
Great updates J Biz! So does that mean that work on 30HY foundation has started or is about to start?

j-biz photo looking ENE from the 11th Ave viaduct, with 33rd st on left.
They have demolished the vehicle ramp down from 33rd St into the railyard, which is a significant step in drilling the foundations, allowing drilling under the former ramp, etc.

Great photos!
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #3824
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

^ Great! Means we're finally about to see some real action in the near future.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #3825
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Is there a reason why this thread is still in the "proposed" category? I'm new here so I apologize for not fully knowing the rules.
It is prep actually. The construction on the tower itself hasn't begun yet. When it does, the status will change to U/C
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #3826
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
^ Great! Means we're finally about to see some real action in the near future.
I like the NYT's quote from the vice chairman/structural engineer Aine M. Brazil of Thorton Tomasetti “We’re still in the baby steps of the whole project,”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/04/re...n.html?hp&_r=0
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #3827
w562001127

Likes (Received): 1

New York still do not know how much space the development of ultra-high
w562001127 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #3828
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Vision: A proposal that has little chance of getting built (Tokyo X-Seed 4000, Illinois Tower)

Proposed: Plans put forward, news report suggesting new building possible or renders released

Prep: Excavation has begun, dirt being moved, etc.

U/C: Rebar spotted and tower begun vertical ascent

T/O: No more vertical ascent

Completed: A little iffy but usually when a building has finished all exterior work and/or has officially opened. Usually they go hand in hand but sometimes exterior work finishes way before the tower is open and 'complete' (like Abeno Harukas in Osaka)

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Eric Offereins, solgoldberg liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #3829
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Awesome. a bit comparable with the massive steel of the Ping An Center in Shenzhen?
fundamentally different. there will be more solid plate steel here., but the columns will not be as physically large.

there is no concrete core here.

while the outside columns at ping an are larger, i would dare to say that there is more or equal tonnage of steel in this tower.

The first 10 floors are immensely complex due to the the 'throat' in the railyard that falls directly on the edge of the tower. the trusses that transfer the columns on the south end of the tower are quite large.

Eric Offereins, j-biz, solgoldberg, ILNY liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #3830
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Thanks. Following the construction process here is going to be very cool. Looking forward to it.
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #3831
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
fundamentally different. there will be more solid plate steel here., but the columns will not be as physically large. there is no concrete core here. while the outside columns at ping an are larger, i would dare to say that there is more or equal tonnage of steel in this tower. The first 10 floors are immensely complex due to the the 'throat' in the railyard that falls directly on the edge of the tower. the trusses that transfer the columns on the south end of the tower are quite large.
Where are you getting your information from? Their rendered sections clearly shown a concrete core.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #3832
solgoldberg

Quote:
fundamentally different. there will be more solid plate steel here., but the columns will not be as physically large.

there is no concrete core here.

while the outside columns at ping an are larger, i would dare to say that there is more or equal tonnage of steel in this tower.

The first 10 floors are immensely complex due to the the 'throat' in the railyard that falls directly on the edge of the tower. the trusses that transfer the columns on the south end of the tower are quite large.
Thank you.
flickr's hardcore shutterbug posted a 4/30/2014 photo of the 30 HY site that predates the j-biz photo survey of 5/2/2014.
However, Mr. Shutterbug has access to the LIRR areas, so you can see how much area T-P has to work on now that they have torn down the vehicle ramp from 33rd st.

This Hardcore Shutterbug photo is looking east from just south of 33rd st & I will quote the vice chairman/structural engineer again “We’re still in the baby steps of the whole project,”
The 'throat' in the railyard is the 4? track/switch area in ~ photo center to the right (south) of the two story white building. Note that this building's 2nd story will be removed, along with the LIRR worker bridge over the throat and the green vehicle ramp down from 10th Ave.
I assume T-P et al will start caisson drilling in the test pits they dug through the concrete slab during the last few months...

Hardcore Shutterbug/flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/hardco...n/photostream/

And by late '18 the view from this spot might look like this rendering from the HY FB page.
Heck! We might even have flying cars by then!:

Eric Offereins, ILNY liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 8th, 2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3833
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
Where are you getting your information from? Their rendered sections clearly shown a concrete core.
the structural drawings. can you post the render that shows this?

those are good photos Sol. There is a lot to do before we will see anything beyond the street level at this tower. I think right now, TP is hoping to deliver platform steel in the fall.

The trident columns TP will install as part of the platform will support the future laminated columns of the tower, except in spots where the tower columns go down to terra firma.

ILNY, solgoldberg liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3834
solgoldberg

Quote:
the structural drawings. can you post the render that shows this?

those are good photos Sol. There is a lot to do before we will see anything beyond the street level at this tower. I think right now, TP is hoping to deliver platform steel in the fall.

The trident columns TP will install as part of the platform will support the future laminated columns of the tower, except in spots where the tower columns go down to terra firma.
Gotcha, “We’re still in the baby steps of the whole project,” - Aine M. Brazil/NYT.

I'm posting a Justin Whiteford/flickr photo of the newly available 30 HY work site he took from 10 HY 5/2/2014, looking north.

Justin Whiteford/KPF has other photos recently taken at 10 HY in his flickr photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/themodulorman/

Eric Offereins, Tubeworm liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 10th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3835
solgoldberg

Big concrete pour

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Gotcha, “We’re still in the baby steps of the whole project,” - Aine M. Brazil/NYT.

I'm posting a Justin Whiteford/flickr photo of the newly available 30 HY work site he took from 10 HY 5/2/2014, looking north.

Justin Whiteford/KPF has other photos recently taken at 10 HY in his flickr photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/themodulorman/
Note that to support the beginnings of the overbuild "four of the 30 train storage tracks will be out of service beginning with the Monday of the May Schedule change" according to thelirrtoday.com

http://www.thelirrtoday.com/2014/05/...d-jamaica.html

These trains storage tracks are someplace within the WSSY, which has already been impacted by the ~2 year shutdown of the MoE building. One of the photos recently posted on the HY FB page showed a drill rig (in foreground) on the WSSY tracks, something I hadn't seen before:
https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYardsNewYork?fref=ts

10 Hudson Yards - April 2014 - Photo Credit: Geoff Butler

The HY FB page also has a photo posted today of the eastern ?half? of the Amtrak Gateway tunnel box excavation, looking east:

May 12th is a big day at Hudson Yards! We're pouring 1,300 cubic yards of concrete on the 6th floor of 10 Hudson Yards and for the AMTRAK Gateway tunnel. This is the single largest concrete pour day we've had since construction began. Go team!
The photo does show a concrete pump gzimo on the north (left) side of the excavation AND forms on both sides of the eastern end of the excavation. & lots of rebar.
https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYards...ation=timeline
Today's photo from the HY FB page makes for an interesting contrast to the j-biz photo from 10 days ago:

j-biz/flickr

I wonder how much of the muck pile in the center of the excavation has actually been removed, BUT it does look like major progress for the foundations/site prep...

Tubeworm, McSky, man2anjos, iamtheSTIG, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 12th, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #3836
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

How deep is this? about 15 meter or so? Looks like they are still breaking through the bedrock.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3837
solgoldberg

Amazing that thing are getting done, considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
How deep is this? about 15 meter or so? Looks like they are still breaking through the bedrock.
Good point. The j-biz photo that shows the muck pile & excavators in the trench is from his last workday in the area, 5/2.

So we now have less photographic documentation AND it looks to me that yesterday's HY NY FB timeline photo was taken so that the muck pile (IF it still exists) does not show.

That being said, Amtrak is incentivized to get the east end of the tunnel box done 1st, so that T-P can rebuild the LIRR MoE building that sits atop the east end. Amtrak is no longer obligated to pay a monthly "inconvenience" fee once Amtrak/T-P turns the (now skeletal) LIRR MoE building back over to the LIRR. Hopefully 3Q2015???? Right now the LIRR has to run trains BACK out onto Long Island (through one of Amtrak's 4 East River tunnels) for Maintenance of Equipment.

T-P will have drilled & filled all their overbuild platform caisson holes in the process of rebuilding the LIRR MoE building (& the tracks that service the bldg).

I'm mentioning yet again this small slice of some of the interests of the stakeholders in this project to give a flavor of how complex this is.

And I'm reposting a photo of one of my two US senators (Chuck Schumer on right) announcing prelim funding for the AMTRAK Gateway project tunnel way back in May '13. This is what kicked off the LIRR MoE building demolition, secant pile wall drilling, trench excavation into good old Manhattan schist, etc, etc..
Note that the 11th Ave viaduct (looking south) is a lot more crowded with construction stuff now, though I assume the sign for the McDonalds drive-thru is still easily visible

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Sen. Charles Schumer announced preliminary funding Thursday for the Gateway tunnel project under the Hudson River.
Photo: Andrew J. Hawkins

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pb...umer.jpg?q=100

Eric Offereins liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 13th, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #3838
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Interesting, Jay Cross talks about designing for scale at the Hudson Yards.

Jay Cross - Bloomberg Businessweek Design Conference 2014

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

solgoldberg, man2anjos liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #3839
Ghostface79

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:47 PM   #3840
Ghostface79

Moving along.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
Quote:
Another big bay at Hudson Yards! Platform columns are going up.

Vertical_Gotham, j-biz, solgoldberg liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street