daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:11 PM   #3841
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Steel starting to go up north & west of 10 HY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
NEAT!
That's the remains of the LIRR's MoE building (10 HY is south of the MoE) next to the two new columns. IT looks like that caisson drill has moved further west to drill yet another foundation. So T-P is racing along getting the SE corner of the platform started/MoE building rebuilt (soon?) & the east end of the Amtrak tunnel casing built & excavation backfilled.

The 5/7 Engadget article's photos provide context to the HY NY FB photo above. Photo 3 (snip below) from the article shows a caisson drill (@ work, I assume) drilling what is probably one of the foundations for one of the overbuild platform columns shown in the FB post. This view is looking mostly west, probably from the not-yet-demolished vehicle ramp down from 10th Ave.

Joseph Volpe/engadget.com
The 5/7 article has a 30 photo gallery from all around the HY site.
http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/07/h...-neighborhood/

This means we should see overbuild platform steel going up both in the Amtrak tunnel box area (shown above) and for the adjacent Culture Shed plaza, which is mentioned in the 10 HY thread. mmkkk & thejacko5 posted pictures of the crane support steel & column steel for that plaza starting here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=696

I've re-posted a thejacko5 photo from 5/16 showing culture shed plaza (aka knows as the terra firma platform/plaza) column steel and crane support steel going up:

thejacko5/ssc, view is looking SE towards 10HY & the High Line

Hopefully somebody will provide some current views from the 11th Ave viaduct or maybe even from the work sites themselves...

Eric Offereins, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 22nd, 2014 at 10:45 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #3842
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Tutor-Perini has covered 5 tracks next to the Gateway Tunnel with wooden crane mats. Caissons are being drilled at this location.. This is in addition to the work on the north side at 33 St.

j-biz liked this post
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #3843
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Didn't this just technically start construction? At least the platform?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #3844
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5314

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Hopefully somebody will provide some current views from the 11th Ave viaduct ...

Drill

Vacuum/rail truck.

More tracks have been fenced off.

First platform columns erected! You can see platform height now.

Last edited by ILNY; May 27th, 2014 at 08:21 AM.
ILNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #3845
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28342

Those platform colums will have to bear the load of the towers? They will probably be very massive.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #3846
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

those columns may support some platform steel, but in that area, they would be supporting the retail.

They do not look particularly big. Maybe they support the new MOE structure....

They are nothing like the columns on the drawings for the main platform areas.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #3847
optimusprimal1

Likes (Received): 131

Hope this picks up soon ; )
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #3848
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

So I guess the official alternate name for 30 Hudson will be the Warner Center
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #3849
solgoldberg

Thanks to ILNY & UrbanImpressionist for new photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Those platform colums will have to bear the load of the towers? They will probably be very massive.
ILNYs are in this thread; the Memorial Day photos by UrbanImpressionist are in the 10 HY thread @ SSP:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=398

One of his oblique views from the Ohm building provides an overview of most of the 30 HY site (upper left of phto) and I've reposted it below. I think the previously mentioned/photographed 1st two columns in the rail yard (next to north side of LIRR MoE bldg remnant) also appear in this view. I'm ASSSUMING one of the columns is for the MoE building re-build and the other (taller) one is for the retail platform:

UrbanImpressionist/SSP(R. J. Vojir - Cityscape Oil Painter)

He also capture a great view (looking east from the 11th Ave viaduct) of the Amtrak Gateway tunnel excavation, reposted below. This view shows that T-P has gotten to the concrete/rebar invert (floor) for the tunnel casing at BOTH ends of the excavation. The eastern end is further along and you can see the center wall that divides the two future (I hope) tracks. You also get a "street" level view of the same two columns in this photo. I assume T-P is prioritizing both ENDS of the tunnel casing/excavation os they can start rebuilding the MoE bldg/building the retail platform at the east end and the north foundations of the culture tower at the west end.

UrbanImpressionist/SSP(R. J. Vojir - Cityscape Oil Painter)

Eric Offereins, j-biz, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 27th, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #3850
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
those columns may support some platform steel, but in that area, they would be supporting the retail.

They do not look particularly big. Maybe they support the new MOE structure....

They are nothing like the columns on the drawings for the main platform areas.
I am not sure the platform columns need to be much if any bigger than the steel framework on any other tower of this height. The building core will be doing all the heavy lifting as usual.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #3851
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4607

https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYardsNewYork
Quote:
The Manitowoc 18000 has arrived on site and the Hudson Yards construction crew is working on getting the latticework and boom up today! The Manitowoc crane will help build the platform by moving the trusses and beams into place. Some of the trusses at Hudson Yards will be between 15 and 20 feet tall and weigh about 2 tons per linear foot.

iamtheSTIG, solgoldberg, Swiddle liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #3852
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

caught the 18000 by surprise yesterday. Cant wait to see the setup on this thing.
Seen a pic of it today and the mast and the some weights are on

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vinsch...n/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vinsch...n/photostream/

325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #3853
solgoldberg

Heavy Duty crane IS for 30 HY

Thank you for posting those photos! Also good to see Vinny S. photos appear in project threads I have an interest in.

I had seen the photo & read the caption on the HY NY FB page but was still wondering where, exactly, the crane was going. Your photos resolved that: west of the LIRR control tower/substation.

So we'll see a DIFFERENT crane rise at the Culture Shed plaza, west of 10 HY.

T-P is really getting the equipment in place to deliver at least the platform portions that they show for 2014:

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 30th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #3854
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I am not sure the platform columns need to be much if any bigger than the steel framework on any other tower of this height. The building core will be doing all the heavy lifting as usual.
I am definitely NOT a structural engineer but I ASSUME the columns that 30 HY south face trusses rest on will be massive. I've reposted a diagram from bloomberg which also indicates by happenstance where the Manitowoc is being assembled. Namely at the left end of the diagonal line from "BUILDABLE AREAS" (just south outh of 33rd St)

Swiddle liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #3855
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Yea, you can see clearly here that at least half of the building weight does not rest vertically beneath the main columns, but gets redistribute by trusses. So naturally they are going to be beasts. I'm super excited to see them.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #3856
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Yea, you can see clearly here that at least half of the building weight does not rest vertically beneath the main columns, but gets redistribute by trusses. So naturally they are going to be beasts. I'm super excited to see them.
Yea, I assume they will be beasts also. I forgot to repost (yet again) the overall Hudson Yards phase 1 timeline with the platform diagram, so I am reposting it below.

I think the "2014" diagram still has relevance to where T-P might be platform wise at the end of this year. Especially since they seem to be close, NOW, to have mobilized most of the equipment needed to BUILD the "2014" sections of the platform shown. MAYBE the Matinowc crane is being assembled right where that gap in the north side of the 2014 platform is shown...:

Swiddle liked this post
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #3857
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Thank you solgoldberg! I am Vinny S. from flickr. Ill try to stop by the site every now and then when I'm in the city and get some shots.

Here is another shot from the 28th. Shows how close the 18000 really is to the street, which is the reason i'm guessing that they are using the 250ton to assemble it rather than their 500ton.

solgoldberg liked this post
325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 03:16 AM   #3858
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ccr View Post
Thank you solgoldberg! I am Vinny S. from flickr. Ill try to stop by the site every now and then when I'm in the city and get some shots.

Here is another shot from the 28th. Shows how close the 18000 really is to the street, which is the reason i'm guessing that they are using the 250ton to assemble it rather than their 500ton.

Thank you.

For those not intimately familiar with the area, this Vinny S. photo is looking ~SSE from W33rd St and shows (what I call) the yellow hydraulic crane
assembling the red HEAVY DUTY Manitowoc 18000 crane on the other side of the construction fence. Up until recently the construction fence was a tall concrete security wall on the south sidewalk of W33rd street to keep people out of the LIRR's West Side Storage Yard.

As a visual indication of change/progress my photo below shows what this area looked like (looking east w south side of W33rd at left edge) in January of this year. Since then T-P has demolished the ramp leading down from W33rd, demolished parts of the concrete wall at left, brought in a caisson drill, this crane, etc.:

Last edited by solgoldberg; May 31st, 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:44 PM   #3859
solgoldberg

Good progress assembling "strongest" crane in NYC

From the HY NY FB page

Quote:
Hudson Yards Fun Fact Friday!

Did you know the toughest reservation in Manhattan is at Hudson Yards? It's true! There are only 50 Manitowoc cranes in all of North America and Hudson Yards had to reserve its crane more than 9 months ago. Affectionately named "Joanie", the Hudson Yards Manitowoc has a lifting capacity of 660 tons and is the strongest crane being used in New York City today!

Hudson Yards New York FB

Nice weather: I assume the photo was taken Friday, 5/30.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Eric Offereins liked this post
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:12 AM   #3860
Subsequence

Likes (Received): 50

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street