daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #3941
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Personal taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDagreat View Post
Less glassy buildings and more classy limestone if you ask me.
I usually don't comment on the design/aesthetic/personal taste aspects of these renderings.

BUT, that rendering of a possible new far west side midtown looks AWFUL to me:

I grew up with the grit of midtown Manhattan and I appreciate it's history and I ALSO appreciate the quality of life improvements in Manhattan compared to the 1970s.

PS: I wandered around inside Javits recently and found it depressing, probably due to the lack of activity at a trade show for an industry I used to work for.

However, I found this rendering and possibility of wandering around the future Hudson Blvd strip park and/or people watching appealing:

Last edited by solgoldberg; June 26th, 2014 at 05:19 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #3942
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4543

I agree that that new render doesn't do the Hudson Yards justice from a design point, but it does give us a great sense of scale, and knowing each building being built we know that there will be an interesting range of fancy designs, to fillers with intricate facades.

And that render you just posted looks new! The canyon effect will be amazing there, especially as you can sit back and relax in some large open green spaces looking up and being able to appreciate the surrounding buildings and scale

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:32 PM   #3943
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I agree that that new render doesn't do the Hudson Yards justice from a design point, but it does give us a great sense of scale, and knowing each building being built we know that there will be an interesting range of fancy designs, to fillers with intricate facades.

And that render you just posted looks new! The canyon effect will be amazing there, especially as you can sit back and relax in some large open green spaces looking up and being able to appreciate the surrounding buildings and scale
I reposted a render that Hudson11 dug out from
http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/of...lities/gallery

and posted in the the Hudson Blvd Park thread:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...3&postcount=18

The other render Hudson11 dug up is looking the other direction(south). 30 HY is the second structure south on left. #7 subway 34th street station in foreground middle will NOT open this year...:

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; June 26th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old June 26th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #3944
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1556

Love it love it LOVE IT!!!
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3945
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I found the general West Side vision kinda jarring... I really hope there aren't that many boxy glass towers that just stand there and gleam nicely. The focused ones on the Hudson Yards and environs canyon with public plaza is MUCH more appealing, though!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 02:34 AM   #3946
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I found the general West Side vision kinda jarring... I really hope there aren't that many boxy glass towers that just stand there and gleam nicely. The focused ones on the Hudson Yards and environs canyon with public plaza is MUCH more appealing, though!
Shouldn't have anything to worry about given none of those other towers have even been designed yet...

citybooster liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #3947
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Shouldn't have anything to worry about given none of those other towers have even been designed yet...
I had always thought as well that the HY phase II would have a more varied look anyway.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #3948
GiacomoPuccini
Milano & Peking

Likes (Received): 117

Related's rendering just depicts its own towers, and it shows massing models for sites owned by other developers. Girasole's design is not shown, nor is Blackhouse's. Moreover, the height of Tishman's Spire is grossly off. This rendering also does not show any of Related's towers for the Western Yards.

What is does depict, however, is yet another new design for the constantly changing Equinox Tower at 35 HY and that the height of 50 HY has been bumped back up to around 365m.

Old June 27th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #3949
joe25

Likes (Received): 24

looks like they're building a new city within a city..
joe25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #3950
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28349

They are. This cluster alone can rival many large cities worldwide.

ZZ-II liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #3951
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
They are. This cluster alone can rival many large cities worldwide.
Yep, only a handful of cities have more than 6 supertalls which is just the minimum that this small subset of New York will have (30 HY, 35 HY, 50 HY, Hudson Spire, Girasole, 514 11th Avenue). That alone is what all of Chicago has. Outside of Chicago and New York, Hudson Yards alone would have as many supertalls as all of the rest of the Western Hemisphere (Atlanta has 1, LA has 1, Houston has 2, Santiago de Chile has 1). 6 supertalls is also equivalent to what Hong Kong will have (with little signs of new supertalls in the works). The entire European Union only has 1 supertall and Africa has none. So Hudson Yards is a big deal. And with New York having over 25 supertall proposals, New York could cement itself in 2nd or 3rd place (far ahead of every city minus Dubai and/or Shenzhen)

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #3952
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

The canyon is beautiful so far rendered. I'm a lover of green space in cities, so this makes a huge break from the narrow claustrophobic streets in midtown. I bet that this place will be a hit with locals and tourists alike. Hopefully more and more innovative and interesting designs continue to be unveiled along the blvd.

City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2014, 01:06 AM   #3953
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3593

One thing that hasn't been discussed much but which I think will be vitally important, is the nature of the retailers that will line the Boulevard at street level. I hope there's a dense and cohesive mix of restaurants, boutiques and other types of retail that encourage foot traffic. This could easily become a world class shopping and dining district; I just hope the various developers are talking to one another about steering it that way.

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 01:24 AM   #3954
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

6/27

Untitled by themodulorman, on Flickr

solgoldberg, Swiddle liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3955
solgoldberg

6/26/2014: 75 of 300 caissons drilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
6/27

Untitled by themodulorman, on Flickr

NEWS:
Beam by Beam, a Mega-Project Grows
By C. J. Hughes
June 30, 2014

Quote:
So far, 75 of the 300 concrete-filled caissons that will support the platform for much of the eastern half of the project, which spans eight blocks and 15 acres, have been drilled deep into the ground, with some squeezed between railroad tracks,
Architectural Record reports on a tour they got last Thursday (6/26)
http://archrecord.construction.com/n...ject-Grows.asp

So they have to extend the overbuild platform from it's start on the south side of the rail yard: bottom of photo below, adjoining 10 HY. AR photo below is looking north as is themodulorman photo above.

Photo © Architectural Record
to the north side, where the BIG red crane sits in the foreground (photo looking south):

Photo © Architectural Record

desertpunk, Eric Offereins, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 1st, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #3956
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Con Ed rains on the off-grid parade

The utility's tariffs zap the savings that developers expected from building their own power systems

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...f-grid-parade#

Quote:
To power up the vast $18 billion mini-city it is developing at Hudson Yards west of Penn Station, the Related Cos. is getting off the grid and building its own electrical system. The question is: Will it work—not physically, but financially?

That is the $100 million conundrum that faces Related and a small but growing number of major landlords across the city. They complain that the huge cost savings—not to mention environmental benefits—that they had hoped to garner from building their own electrical-generating capacity are being undermined by an extra so-called standby tariff levied on them by Con Ed. The power company insists that fee is necessary to cover the cost of new infrastructure, including links to the developments to ensure backup capacity if a microgrid should fail.

Among the big landlords feeling the unexpected financial pinch is the Durst Organization. The company, one of the pioneers in investing in green technologies at its commercial and residential properties, reported that it was hit with a hefty $2.7 million standby charge last year at One Bryant Park, the spire it finished in 2008 and packed with more than $30 million worth of efficient energy systems—including a 4.6-megawatt generator.

That levy marked the fifth time in as many years that a tariff nearly erased the savings Durst had expected to reap. A spokesman said the company might not make the same investment again under the current fee structure.

"The charges are a huge economic disincentive," said Phil Skalaski, an assistant director of technical services at Durst who helps manage and install its energy conservation systems.

For Related, which is engaged in the largest construction project in the U.S., the stakes are even higher. At Hudson Yards, the developer will use natural-gas-fired generators to create the most advanced and capacious system of its kind, capable of meeting more than a quarter of the site's huge electrical demand and doing so at twice the efficiency of conventional power from the grid. The system, stitched together via a closed-circuit network of connections—a private microgrid—will deliver superefficient green power across the 14-acre site, bolstering Related's goal to create the model 21st-century neighborhood.

For Con Ed, the toll collector on the city's energy superhighway, such ambitions may be for the greater good, but they must come at a cost. More precisely, the operator of the city's 13,000-megawatt grid insists that Related pay a premium of 25% or more on the power it will draw from the conventional system. That standby tariff likely will add up to millions of dollars a year, on top of the $100 million that Related is paying to install the equipment.

Con Ed's response is simple: It argues it has little choice but to hike some charges to recoup the tens of millions of dollars in costs for laying massive copper cables and installing new power-distribution equipment at the site.

"If you have customers who say, 'I don't have to pay for the distribution system,' someone's [got to be] paying for it," said Tom Mimnagh, an executive at Con Ed. "It's in the rates, and it gets transferred to other customers."

PSC plugs into issue

Among those hoping for some sort of compromise solution are urban planners and environmental advocates. They say that a big opportunity will have been missed if gleaming new developments like Hudson Yards instead become cautionary tales that discourage others from lavishing sizable investments on cogeneration and microgrids, just as these systems are beginning to gain recognition.

The Public Service Commission, the state regulatory body that oversees Con Ed and that decides what charges are permissible in the electrical system, in recent months has appeared to have shifted more focus to the issue and signaled that big changes may be coming. The agency last year named Audrey Zibelman its commissioner. She is a former venture capitalist who has a background in sustainable energy and is expected to support companies that invest in saving energy.

In April, the PSC also began an investigatory proceeding, called Reforming the Energy Vision, that will try to iron out what all sides agree will be a tricky compromise between the need for more power-generation systems and a fair compensation structure for Con Ed. The proceeding is also expected to weigh the farther-reaching implications of Related's cutting-edge system, including the possibility that its microgrid could become a model for others in the city.

Undeniably it is the most efficient way forward. At Hudson Yards, Related will not only burn natural gas to generate more than 13 megawatts of electricity, but it will also harness the waste heat from those engines to warm and cool the complex's air and water supplies. Such a system can extract up to 80% of the potential energy from its fuel, more than double the average efficiency of generating the electricity pumped through the grid. Such savings would be helpful to consumers' wallets as well as to the environment.

The cogeneration of electricity works best—and most economically—when implemented on a large scale, which makes gas turbines and other equipment off-limits to all but the biggest landlords. But if building owners were able to band together and plug their properties into their own islands of power via a microgrid, the large capital costs of installing such systems could be made manageable.

That approach to producing and distributing power need not harm Con Ed financially, pointed out Michael Byrnes, chief operating officer at SourceOne Energy Management, an energy consultant that is working with Related at Hudson Yards.

"If enough people were building these things, Con Ed wouldn't have to spend $1 billion to build another energy plant to increase capacity," Mr. Byrnes said. "New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts have all done away with standby tariffs."

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #3957
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Inside NYC's Massive Hudson Yards Construction Site

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #3958
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Con Ed rains on the off-grid parade

The utility's tariffs zap the savings that developers expected from building their own power systems

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...f-grid-parade#
Related makes 25% of their own energy, so ConEd bills them 25% more. How progressive. Isn't electrical infrastructure considered a public good at this point? Isn't ConEd required to wire up a new development, regardless of the volume of electricity said development ends up drawing? Their "justification" for the rate hike is absurd.

citybooster, Manitopiaaa liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #3959
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Isn't electrical infrastructure considered a public good at this point?
Nope. It's a monopoly
They (large utilities, in general) also do this to homeowners who want to go off grid. It's a bunch of hogwash.

Though, they're not really clear on what those funds are being used for? Ideally, it would be to expand, but it just sounds like a weird tax for not using their service, which doesn't sound...constitutional...

MarshallKnight liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #3960
solgoldberg

2 week old photo shows Amtrak casing progress?

I came across this 2-week (7/2/2014) old low-res photo by flickr's Artboy11211, shot from the AP HQ bldg (450 W 33rd st, roof/basketball court maybe?). 10th Ave runs along bottom; top of photo is west.

IMHO, it seems to show concrete forms (yellowish areas) for the eastern (10th Ave) end of the Amtrak tunnel concrete casing's crown/roof. The excavation is towards the left side of the photo and runs from 10th Ave to the above-photo-top 1th Ave. So maybe they will be pouring (or have poured?) the tunnel's roof this month.
This would be in conjunction with the three caisson drills drilling foundations north of the excavation (right in photo view) to bridge the overbuild platform above the tunnel excavation/LIRR MoE building to-be-rebuilt.
The 30 HY "site" is bottom right:

Artboy11211 Living on the edge || Look up, look down. Who knows, what you're looking for could be in any direction.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14370885318/

j-biz, streetscapeer, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 16th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street