daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM   #3981
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
When in doubt, go with the source that's NOT Curbed.
To give her credit, she explains in more detail what the photos/viewpoints are. For example, we now know that at least some of the "birds eye" photos looking south at HY taken "from 511 West 33rd Street, a building that will eventually be demolished to make way for 50 Hudson Yards."

To criticize further, I wonder how "50 foot by 100 foot trusses" constructed on the western railyard (according to the HY Platform Construction video) and "arrive on rail cars" (blue ones in the HY video snip below) will fit under the 11th Ave viaduct...

Snip from HY's HY platform construction video, looking east

Maybe they fully assemble the 30HY trusses on the overbuild platform that the video crane is sitting on...

The trusses that the video shows spanning the throat also do NOT look like they a have a 50 by 100 aspect ratio. The video states the trusses are "placed above the throat, spanning 150 feet across this zone":

Snip from HY's HY platform construction video, looking east

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 23rd, 2014 at 06:14 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:07 PM   #3982
solgoldberg

Quote:
When in doubt, go with the source that's NOT Curbed.
Yeah. The article also describes the originally-Pennsylvania RR/now Amtrak Hudson River tunnels as "the New Jersey transit tunnels".
Still, they supply a photo of the eastern end of the Gateway tunnel box, below. Maybe there really are 6-8' feet of concrete in the crown/roof of the tunnel in that location:

Max Touhey via Curbed
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #3983
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

You can see the angled tunnel roof-shaped formwork in the picture. Does look like at least the height of a man from there to the top of the rebar. I wonder why it needs to be so thick? I wouldn't imagine it's load bearing.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3984
solgoldberg

Quote:
You can see the angled tunnel roof-shaped formwork in the picture. Does look like at least the height of a man from there to the top of the rebar. I wonder why it needs to be so thick? I wouldn't imagine it's load bearing.
I don't know & mmkkk did not respond to my query responding to his 6-8' statement. But, I think the northernmost portion of the to-be-rebuilt LIRR MoE building will "sit" atop the easternmost section of the tunnel box. Besides the building load itself (if it's transferred to the tunnel box), the MoE building floor will have the weight of LIRR rail cars undergoing maintenance. But I have no idea if this requires 6-8' of concrete.

AFAIK, this is a design-build for Tutor Perini, with an engineering study by P-B that preceded it. Currently, T-P is working on something similar for the LIRR in LIC, Queens (photo below), but I believe that somebody else did the overall design of this Plaza interlocking (note all the steel). This excavation has another track level/tunnel below it and has tracks above it (3 levels of tracks). This MTA CC photo captures a NJ Transit train on the grade level/Sunnyside Yards tracks: NJTransit stores PM rushhour trains in Sunnyside Yards during midday, similar to the LIRR storing PM rush hour trains midday day in the WSSY/Hudson Yards.

NOT Hudson Yards, but a current T-P contract involving the MTA:

MTACC CQ032 - Plaza - Installed Columns at Grid (07-15-2014)

According to hardcoreshutterbug's photostream, the LIRR is still setting up facilities at Shea Yard in Flushing, Queens to compensate for track outages in the West Side Storage Yard/Hudson Yards.

This is a really complicated project...

iamtheSTIG, Eric Offereins, Swiddle, ILNY liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 23rd, 2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old July 29th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #3985
solgoldberg

The beauty that will be lost from the overbuild

I liked this HorsePunchKid/flickr taken ~ a week ago. Photo is looking west from 10th avenue through the open gate of the LIRR vehicle ramp.

I am guesstimating that this ramp will be demolished in the next couple of months and the retail podium overbuild platform will start rising from the rail yard below, blocking this view. I THINK that's the Hudson River between the trees. He makes the NYC DSNY garbage trucks look nice...

HorsePunchKid/flickr "Sunset In Hudson Yards
A view in Manhattan that is soon to disappear, as the West Side Yard--the eastern terminus of the Long Island Railroad--will be covered up as part of the Hudson Yards Redevelopment Project."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horsepunchkid/14498410998

His photo above is nicely framed in that its does NOT show the construction taking place on the floor of the yards, out-of-frame of his photo's left. The slightly more recent HY FB photo below shows the retail podium overbuild column bases on top of the roof of the Amtrak tunnel concrete casing. Photo is looking east, opposite direction from photo above; the vehicle ramp HorsePunchKid used for his photo above is OOF to the left (north). I'm starting to consider the retail podium part of 30 HY, per the recent NYC DoB filing:

HY FB 7/25/2014:

Hudson Yards Fun Fact Friday!

Did you know there are more than 400 construction workers on our site today, making great progress on 10 Hudson Yards (our first office tower), the AMTRAK Gateway Tunnel and "the platform". It's true! And by this time next year there will be thousands more working on the entire Eastern Rail Yard (4 office towers, 6 acres of public open space, 20 restaurants, 100 shops and 500 residences). In fact, when all is said and done come 2024, the 28-acres Hudson Yards development will have created 23,000 union construction jobs in New York City!

https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYards...type=1&theater

Note the HY FB statement: late July 2015 thousands of workers working on the ENTIRE Eastern Rail Yard; which gives me an excuse to repost this snip from a mid-2013 HY render:

HY

Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 29th, 2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #3986
ILNY

Likes (Received): 5303

This looks heavy.

hunser, solgoldberg, j-biz, Munwon, Swiddle liked this post
ILNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #3987
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post

This looks heavy.

YES, it does look heavy & thanks for all the photos.

I'm assuming it's something related to the northern, more 30 HY-ish section of the overbuild platform.
Maybe thejacko5 or mmkkk will educate us as to what it is (besides VERY heavy).

Note that the concrete structure behind the upper photo houses what I believe is the NY-side emergency exit from Amtrak's Hudson River tunnels. I assume they will have to relocate this exit someplace else as the overbuild platform/south-end-of-Hudson Park/Blvd rises above it.

I wonder if they have to let the thick concrete roof of the Amtrak tunnel concrete casing cure for an extended period of time before erecting overbuild platform steel on it?

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 29th, 2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old August 1st, 2014, 03:44 PM   #3988
solgoldberg

3 week old photos, but official

The official MTA flickr photo site has posted a bunch of ~3 week old photos of the "Hudson Yards" site. The MTA, a NY state agency, leased the air rights over the MTA/LIRR railyard for 99 years to Related/Oxford which was one of the enabler for Hudson Yards.

Anyway, the photos are by Patrick Cashin, one of the MTA's photographers (who the NYT profiled earlier this year).
Quote:
I always hope that there’s some sandhog, some electrician, somebody doing something,” he said of his work. “That’s really what I want to show: the guys working.”
NYT 1/3/2014 http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/n...a-ss.html?_r=0

Anyway, they are mostly of the yards/tunnel/overbuild platform so I consider them appropriate for the 30HY/retail podium thread.

Courtesy of his interests, two pictures indicate the scale of one of the steel pieces, in this case marked "35 1/2 tons"

Photo: Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin
Construction at Hudson Yards
Giant cranes and boring machines work in tight quarters with the Long Island Rail Road’s 24/7 operations at the LIRR west side storage yard to construct the platform that will support the office towers, apartments and shopping center of a new neighborhood being constructed by the Related Companies at 10th Avenue between 30th and 33rd streets on Manhattan’s west side. Simultaneously a concrete casing as route protection for Amtrak’s future trans-Hudson tunnel is being constructed. Photo: Metropolitan Transportation Authority / Patrick Cashin

The steel piece above was resting south of the tracks, north of the Amtrak excavation 3 weeks ago; I do not if it has been erected or where.

He also has a photo of the yard's throat, which will be bridged by the large trusses that will take the south load of 30 HY. This view is looking east under 10th Ave & the AP HQ bldg (450 W 33rd); the active LIRR tracks are to the left of the green construction fencing.

The photo below is looking in the other direction (west) from the viewpoint below and shows how they temporarily buried the LIRR tracks with stone ballast and then laid timbering on top to support the HEAVY construction machinery. I'm guestimating that they will demolish the 10th Ave vehicle ramp on photo left in the next couple of months as the retail podium overbuild steel makes it way north:

And heres a 30HY/retail podium site snip from a 3 week old Patrick Cashin panorama. Looking west & down from the AP HQ bldg with 10th Ave at bottom. Top of snip is right around where the public plaza/Hudson Blvd north bound will start, connecting to the Hudson Park & Boulevard at extreme top right (behind brown building):

Snip from MTAphotos/Patrick Cashin https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/14772179256/

The MTAphotos "Hudson Yards Construction" album is linked below; the photos above ( and more!) are available at higher resolutions:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtapho...57646066046982

Swiddle, Sakesin, ILNY liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 5th, 2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM   #3989
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Have I missed the big reveal of the art/sculpture "masterpiece" that is supposed to be in Hudson Yard?

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:09 PM   #3990
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquaredb View Post
Have I missed the big reveal of the art/sculpture "masterpiece" that is supposed to be in Hudson Yard?
Not that I know of.

Now that I think we're getting close to seeing the the north end of the public space plaza rising from the rail yard, I am reposting a HY diagram again for their feature terminology. IIRC the "masterpiece" will go in the "Public Square".
I just noticed that Related/Oxford considers the terra firma area bounded by 33rd to 34th streets/ 10th to 11th Ave to be part of the "Eastern Rail Yard":

HY NY via curbed 7.22.14

iamtheSTIG, ILNY liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 2nd, 2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 08:31 PM   #3991
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

its code named Vessel.

no one really knows the deal....

j-biz, solgoldberg liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:49 PM   #3992
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
its code named Vessel.

Thanks.

Do you know what that BIG "35 1/2 ton" column is for (photo reposted below)?

MTAphotos/Patrick Cashin 7.9.2014
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:10 AM   #3993
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

That column will be placed in a caisson-the studs all over will help it lock into the concrete filling.
I have never seen beams fabricated from thick plates as these are.

ILNY liked this post
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 12:12 PM   #3994
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

as mmkkk said and I agree, its a core beam for a caisson. Or its getting embedded in the tunnel box construction in some way. Regardless, its the same function, it will support a future column and tie into the foundation.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3995
solgoldberg

Quote:
as mmkkk said and I agree, its a core beam for a caisson. Or its getting embedded in the tunnel box construction in some way. Regardless, its the same function, it will support a future column and tie into the foundation.
Thank you: I was wondering why that tremendous amount of studs...

Maybe it's meant for the depeer, western end of the tunnel box, where the northern end of the Culture tower/15 Hudson yards transfers load.
Old August 4th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #3996
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
its code named Vessel.

I'm guessing then that it's nautically themed... Maybe a giant mermaid? Or maybe a majestic Henry Hudson charging up the river in the Halve Maen.

solgoldberg liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #3997
solgoldberg

Quote:
I'm guessing then that it's nautically themed... Maybe a giant mermaid? Or maybe a majestic Henry Hudson charging up the river in the Halve Maen.
I like it!
Remember that, according to the mutineers/survivors, Henry & and a few others were abandoned in an open boat in Hudson's Bay, Canada. And that was it for Henry, though he did get that enormous bay named after him...
Old August 5th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #3998
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

I think we won't wait much more to see 30 Hudson under construction...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #3999
solgoldberg

Structural engineering: fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
I think we won't wait much more to see 30 Hudson under construction...
j-biz posted a geoff butler photo (from the HY FB page) that I think deserves to be in the 30 HY/overbuild platform thread.

I'm GUESSING this steel piece being fabricated somewhere is part of a truss, but I am most definitely not a structural engineer. And this steel fabrication is certainly not something I can make in my basement:

Photo Credit: Geoff Butler via HY NY FB page "Eastern Rail Yard Platform - July 2014 -"
https://www.facebook.com/HudsonYards...type=3&theater

Maybe thejacko5 and/or mmkkk will comment on what part of the platform/overbuild it is intended for.
I wonder who won the platform's steel fabrication contract...

sweet-d, sgollis, ILNY, Assemblage23 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 5th, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:03 AM   #4000
smithhayden19

Likes (Received): 16

Glad to see all this progress However i need some clarification on this building. I see some renderings with of this tower with a triangular observation deck extruding from the building while in other renderings it is removed. Which is the most current rendering because i personally liked that feature

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street