daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #4121
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

there are some very significant sections of platform going in right now. i hope we get some photos on here.

Makes wtc steel look weak.

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #4122
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Awesome!

Jacko,

Do you work for Related or for a contractor?

Have you seen renderings of the fountains? If so, how do they look?
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #4123
thejacko5
SSC Addict

who ever said it was fountains?
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #4124
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Related's website and Nelson Byrd Woltz's both state that the plaza will include "dramatic fountains."

http://www.nbwla.com/projects/boards/hudson-yards

Hudson Yards

The Public Square at the Eastern Rail Hudson Yards

New York NY (2012 - Ongoing)

The Public Square at the Eastern Rail Yard, designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, will create a dynamic landscape destination at the center of Manhattan’s largest urban development. The 6-acre Square will offer large and small scale gathering spaces in cafes, gardens, and plazas. World-class events, art exhibitions, fountains, and entertainment will be a destination for neighborhood locals and tourists alike.Yard, designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, will create a dynamic landscape destination at the center of Manhattan’s largest urban development. The 6-acre Square will offer large and small scale gathering spaces in cafes, gardens, and plazas. World-class events, art exhibitions, fountains, and entertainment will be a destination for neighborhood locals and tourists alike.

citybooster liked this post

Last edited by LondoniumLex; October 4th, 2014 at 03:51 AM.
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #4125
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

going by the latest site plan, there will be no fountains. So far nothing eye catching like the preliminary renderings which came out when the leaning designs for the North and South Towers were revealed.

there used to be shallow fountains in front of the entrance to 35 HY, but apparently that has been switched to flowering. (see old layout map here)

old rendering:

Newest rendering:

Last edited by Hudson11; October 4th, 2014 at 04:08 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #4126
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Better put the fountains back..lol they change their minds so often I wouldn't even be concerned but flowering alone is too uninspiring. Boring, actually. Combination of greenery and fountains, or another visual contrast would be much more effective. But then, I ain't designing the place so what do I know, lol!

solgoldberg liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #4127
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

A few fountains would be nice, but this looks already very cool.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #4128

Likes (Received): 368

Considering the glass for this will be the same as its smaller brother its going to be epic.
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #4129
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
Related's website and Nelson Byrd Woltz's both state that the plaza will include "dramatic fountains."

http://www.nbwla.com/projects/boards/hudson-yards

Hudson Yards

The Public Square at the Eastern Rail Hudson Yards

New York NY (2012 - Ongoing)

The Public Square at the Eastern Rail Yard, designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, will create a dynamic landscape destination at the center of Manhattan’s largest urban development. The 6-acre Square will offer large and small scale gathering spaces in cafes, gardens, and plazas. World-class events, art exhibitions, fountains, and entertainment will be a destination for neighborhood locals and tourists alike.Yard, designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects, will create a dynamic landscape destination at the center of Manhattan’s largest urban development. The 6-acre Square will offer large and small scale gathering spaces in cafes, gardens, and plazas. World-class events, art exhibitions, fountains, and entertainment will be a destination for neighborhood locals and tourists alike.
And here's what Related's website says:

PUBLIC SQUARE
The Public Square will be the new center of the West Side and will host world-class art and events.
Designed by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects in collaboration with Thomas Heatherwick, the Public Square is the heart of Hudson Yards’ new retail, residential, commercial and cultural destinations. A central plaza combines a dramatic north entry garden, interactive water features and a monumental sculpture. The bold, seasonally expressive horticulture will dazzle New Yorkers throughout the year.
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4130
thejacko5
SSC Addict

there may be fountains, but they wont be the real attraction.
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #4131
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Thanks. I'm expecting something bizarre from Heatherwick. Is it nice at least or totally absurd?
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #4132
thejacko5
SSC Addict

its unique.

j-biz liked this post
Old October 4th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #4133
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Thanks. I take that as a euphemism for totally ridiculous. Que sera! At least the buildings look nice, except for the E-Tower, which, if it keeps its current boxy form, looks lame.
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #4134
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

I wonder if the monument planned will still be tall as mentioned in these past articles.

Excerpt from NY Mag (October 2012)
http://nymag.com/homedesign/urbanliv.../hudson-yards/

Quote:
The best clue to what he has in mind isn’t in Rome, but at Columbus Circle. Ross lives and works in the Time Warner Center, which Related built, and if you imagine the complex blown out to five times its size, you begin to get a sense of what’s coming at Hudson Yards: crowds flowing from home to boutique, hotel to subway, office to spa, concert to restaurant—and all that activity threaded around and through a curving plaza equipped with fountains and a very tall monument, as yet unchosen. The Time Warner Center brought profitable liveliness to Columbus Circle, the once moribund, now vibrant hinge between midtown and the Upper West Side. But massive as it is, the Time Warner Center is dainty by comparison.
This one is may favorite
New York City officials, developers to break ground on $15 billion mini-city Hudson Yards (December 2012)
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1212797

Quote:
Glittering city-within-a-city finally breaks ground Tuesday on 26 acres on the Far West Side leased by MTA for 99 years for a cool $1 billion-plus.

A new skyline in a waterfront neighborhood with apartments 75 stories high. An observation deck shaped like a spaceship jutting out from an office tower taller than the Empire State Building. A 5-acre plaza with a sculpture as large as Lady Liberty.

On Tuesday, city officials and developers will break ground on Hudson Yards, a $15 billion 15-structure mini-city on Manhattan’s West Side that will create more office space than exists in Portland, Ore.
Liberty is 305' tall

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

iamtheSTIG, citybooster liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #4135
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I'm hoping jacko's less than flattering hints are either off or merely subjective personal taste and we get something more akin to what V_G is thinking here.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #4136
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

In some cities, mostly our European cities, fountains are a main attraction and where many people take pictures in front of. They are an asset to the city and any business nearby.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #4137
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsuptown View Post
In some cities, mostly our European cities, fountains are a main attraction and where many people take pictures in front of. They are an asset to the city and any business nearby.
The same is true of NY. It has tons of fountains.
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #4138
muck308
Just ducky

Likes (Received): 68

I don't think the open space needs any fountains. One thing about fountains is the pleasant low roaring noise they make, sometimes having the result of drawing people in as the noise grows louder when they approach. With HY touting itself as a new city within a city, I think people will be drawn to it without gimmicky fountains. HY is not so much a place to pass through but a destination and one that is somewhat removed from the typical buzz of the city in general. The comforting back noise will be the hum of its denizens instead of splashing and bubbling water. The sound of the water would drown (no pun intended) out the noise of the people. The people are the neighborhood. While pleasant, the fountains would ultimately act as a barrier from really experiencing the space. Once the sounds of construction have finally stopped, that hum of the people will be cherished and well worth the wait I think.

citybooster liked this post
muck308 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #4139
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
I'm hoping jacko's less than flattering hints are either off or merely subjective personal taste and we get something more akin to what V_G is thinking here.
i dont think ive given any hints about how i feel about it.

If you ask me, do I like it? Yes I think its pretty cool. But it serves very little utility other than attracting people.

its less than 300' tall
Old October 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #4140
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
i dont think ive given any hints about how i feel about it.

If you ask me, do I like it? Yes I think its pretty cool. But it serves very little utility other than attracting people.

its less than 300' tall
Attracting people is what it is about. Please bring your tourist dollars to the NYC area.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street