daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #401
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000

I definitely wanted to say that, but I do think this whole thing will be built. The 7 train extension will be finished in late 2012, early 2013 which makes the real estate in this area much more valuable as it'll be connected to the rest of the city via mass transportation.

Also, Related will soon have to start paying huge rents to the MTA who own the site. 2 of the 3 economic triggers have been met, and I think the only one that hasn't is in regard to Midtown Manhattans office vacancy rate which has been falling steadily the last several quarters so they'll have to start paying rent soon which is why they want the first part of this to get underway asap.

There are also a handful of other developments planned for the surrounding area, two 1000 footers in the Girasole and Sherwood Equities tower, a 30 story condo south of the site, etc. Related has said that the whole thing could very well take a decade to complete, so be patient.
I wish I could believe it all gets built as well. And considering the great reasoning for city growth, I'm excited to see the progress made throughout the decade. Plus you never know, maybe well all be surprised and see this get built entirely.

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #402
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I hate the design so I couldn't care either way. A child could drew up better buildings than this crap.
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #403
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

am i the only one who actually likes this more than Tower Verre?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #404
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar
I do! Tower verre looks nice but I think hudson yards will look splendid if built.
Old July 16th, 2011, 03:13 AM   #405
Thanial

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
I do aswell! Torre Verre is amazing, but I think this will end up being more iconic
Thanial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #406
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Big Hudson Yards lease (nearly) in (Coach) bag

Related Cos. seen as close to landing its first anchor office tenant for its sprawling West Side commercial and residential development; could clear way for construction to begin.

By Daniel Massey and Amanda Fung
July 20, 2011 1:30 p.m.

"The Related Cos. is very close to signing on the anchor office tenant it needs to begin construction of its sprawling Hudson Yards project over the rail yards west of Penn Station, sources said...

Coach, the Manhattan-based high-end luxury handbag and accessories maker, could sign a term sheet to commit itself to roughly 600,000 square feet of office space at the new development as soon as next month, sources said.

... if finalized, Related would finally be able to secure the financing needed to begin construction on the 26-acre site...

A spokeswoman for Related said the firm is talking to more than a dozen potential tenants...

The master plan for the entire $15-billion, 12-million-square-foot project includes three office buildings; nine residential towers with 5,000 units; a 750,000-square-foot, glass-encased mall; a school; a cultural center; and 12-acres of open space. The project will take as long as 15 years to complete. The developer has said the project's first office tower could open as early as 2015."

Crains New York.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #407
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

That is a good start.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 02:37 AM   #408
Sammo Haya

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, I don't remember a project this ambitious in the US since the highway program, and for New York for that matter. This is one project I REALLY hope comes to fruition.
Sammo Haya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:22 AM   #409
kingsc

Ever heard of a place called the world trade center or Battery Park City
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:48 AM   #410
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Man, this looks like another WTC. I'm surprised that in the current economic times a project of this magnitude gets proposed.
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:31 AM   #411
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

This doesn't need approvals of any sort, so Related can start construction whenever they want to which as the article hints to, will be sooner rather than later. Would not be surprised if the first tower which looks like it'll be in the 800-900 foot range starts this year.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 06:25 AM   #412
Sammo Haya

Likes (Received): 0

Whoops, those must have slipped my mind. (yes, things that sizable slip my mind) Well either way, I'm sure you must find this project to be ambitious in every sense of the word.
Sammo Haya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM   #413
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Fantastic news, new york is booming
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM   #414
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

As per the NY Observer, the first of the office towers will be around 300m tall, and it's the shortest one!

www.observer.com
21 July 2011

"Scaling the Towers of Hudson Yards"
By Matt Chaban 1:38pm

Big boys. (YouTube)
It’s funny how a story comes about sometimes.
Following the news that Coach is poised to sign a lease at Hudson Yard, the first of possibly a dozen, a reader wrote in with a simple question: How tall is the bag-maker’s new redoubt? We turned to Google but there was no clear answer, so we asked around to our sources who know the site. Answer: about 1,000 feet. Also, a gentle reminder that, because this is one of the few pieces being built on terra firma, as soon as said lease and some financing is in place, construction can commence and be done by 2015.

What is interesting about this news is it sheds a little more light on the gigantic project and just how big it really is. At 1,000 feet, the KPF-designed south tower would be in the top five tallest buildings in the city, just barely ahead of 7 World Trade and right around the Chrysler Building—if we’re counting antennas, it’s technically surpassed by the Times Building, the old AIG tower and One Bryant Park, but everyone knows you shouldn’t count the antennas, much as Douglas Durst might like to.

Furthermore, a rendering The Observer unearthed back in December reveals this is potentially the shortest of the three commercial towers Related has planned. The rendering above, taken from that wild video, shows only two towers, though this is still a good deal shorter. The eastern flank of Hudson Yards could well surpass the 1,000-foot mark, possibly challenging Steve Roth and Tony Malkin‘s prides of place on the skyline. Our source preferred not to disclose details of the other towers, saying there is “flexibility” in the ultimate design.

Viewed in repose alongside the other buildings in the project in this rendering, it becomes clear that the residential buildings are pretty big, too. This really is like taking a huge chunk of midtown and and the Upper East Side, jamming it together, and plopping it down on two blocks of Hudson River real estate. Then again, 26 million square feet of development have to be wedged in somewhere.

http://www.observer.com/2011/07/scal...-hudson-yards/
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM   #415
Kanto
Roof height crusader

If the shortest tower will be 300m then the tallest one could very well surpass 1WTC. That would be so cool
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM   #416
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

is there any chance of there being another redesign? or is that too late?..
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM   #417
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
If the shortest tower will be 300m then the tallest one could very well surpass 1WTC. That would be so cool
1WTC's roof? Or spire? Beating it's roof wouldn't be that hard considering the amount of space they need vertically in such a small plot. But beating it's spire is a tough call :p
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM   #418
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Well, since I'm a huge roof height measurement proponent and an even huger spire measurement hater I would be statisfied if it would beat 1WTC's roof Besides, that would only bring this tower publicity. And publicity is good for tenant/resident harvesting. I personaly would make the tallest building at least 450m. That would make it the tallest building in the western hemisphere by roof height
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:40 PM   #419
kingsc

Let's not jump the gun. Even if they did plan on building, a building taller than 1WTC. it would still take 5 to 8 years to complete.

Kanto your signature is borderline spam, can you tone it down a little.
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:53 PM   #420
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Let's not jump the gun. Even if they did plan on building, a building taller than 1WTC. it would still take 5 to 8 years to complete.

Kanto your signature is borderline spam, can you tone it down a little.
No problem. Is it now better?

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street