daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #4461
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by City-of-Platinum View Post
What's with the fountain obsession? If you want fountain ur gonna get one like that child infested one in Chicago. It will be some insane contemporary fountain, not the classic euro type that I have a feeling that you have in mind. Also it will be kid infested and noisy because kids like water and they will be pressured by parents to allow it.
YEAH! I mean what could be more awful than joyful Children playing. Right? Am I right? ..... right? right?

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #4462
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Maybe City of Platinum is Valeria Lukyanova

Old April 25th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #4463
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondoniumLex View Post
What a ridiculous comment.

Further, New York has more old fountains than most European cities other than Rome or Paris.
What a ridiculous and obtuse retort.

The fact that NY may have many fountains has nothing to do with it and has little connection with my point. They haven't been done in a while in the city, they are old-hat and and developers aren't interested in resurrecting them over something novel that will get people looking (like something very unusual). Also, they are not a significant part of NY's image, despite your claim of total number. Honestly, I have hardly noticed fountains in NYC. ANyway, the reason they hired this artist chap is that they want something that get's people from Baghdad to Bahrain buzzed. And that ain't gonna be no fountain! That's simply nothing special today even if people do purportedly enjoy them(?) Developers are not interested in making NY a beautiful city, they are interested in making a living and attracting publicity and rents!

Most of the water features in NY were done in the "wannabe europe" phase of the city's development. That era has passed. I think you're trying to pull the wood over people's eyes by letting people think that NY is some city that is full of beautiful fountains everywhere like a Rome (where there is a fountain on every square). Walk through midtown, the center of NYC and the equivalent of Rome's old city and Paris's central districts, and you'll hardly see a fountain. Bottom line: fountains are not a significant part of NY's history or character and are unlikely to be missed in HY. Who in the world thinks of NY when they hear the word fountain? Maybe a callow person from the farm in idaho, but hardly a global sophisticate who globes trots the world and has seen the best of the best.

I'm afraid that your wish for a beautiful fountain that will rival the best in the world will never be fulfilled because those old European looking fountains, and even the contemporary variety, are just not considered special enough anymore nor a part of NY's image. And at the end of the day, it is quite obvious from recent trends that in the USA, the fountain thing has run it's course.

I think a weekend trip to Rome is in order.

miau liked this post

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 25th, 2015 at 09:17 AM.
City-of-Platinum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #4464
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
YEAH! I mean what could be more awful than joyful Children playing. Right? Am I right? ..... right? right?
It's simply a matter of preference. The fountains that are new today have trended towards the concept of human interaction and have kids in mind. Unfortunately, children and their parents often dominate these new fountains where people are allowed to interact with the water features. A place dominated by any single group will be a turn-off to others. Who wants to enjoy a fountain that is full of noisy kids all the time unless you are a parent yourself perhaps? Not exactly a relaxing atmosphere for the average person, especially older folks and childless people. Anyway, to each their own. If you like the constant pleasant sound of kids laughing (which can be nice, i agree), you'll also have to endure the sound of kids crying and screaming which will inevitably happen given their capricious natures.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 25th, 2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #4465
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Maybe City of Platinum is Valeria Lukyanova

Nice way to enter a discussion

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 25th, 2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old April 25th, 2015, 06:18 AM   #4466
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
The problem with avant garde, City-of-Platinum, is that it gets people talking a maximum of six months, then nobody remembers it. A real people magnet will still work in a hundred years, but businessmen today don't care about that, they want their pockets filled now, and when interest lets up a few months later they'll vandalise the next city with some monstrosity to get short term profits. Sustainability is not a concept anyone still understands in the 21st century.
Yes, but your preaching to the choir. The developers mindset isn't akin to mine. I don't necessarily care for the avant-garde unless it is actually good design and consider the money grab obnoxious if it is not also a sincere attempt to improve the city, but it is obvious that we are not going to see some traditional looking fountain, for heaven's sake. I happen to like a fountain that is well regulated and not open to hordes of noisy kids and other off-putting stuff, but it's not going to happen. Anybody hoping for such a thing to be manifested is just delusional in this day and age where novel is king and it was flagrantly obvious from the moment they hired the fellow who is tasked with the job.

Additionally, another reason for my incredulity at the sheer carelessness of someone suggesting a fountain be installed here, is that they can become quickly dirty and scummy. NY isn't exactly Geneva. The city has an unfortunate reputation of deterioration of public infrastructure and dirt. They may even attract drunk people after the clubs close. This fountain will not be in a park so it will be open to the public all night long! I have experience seeing many a city center fountain turning into something tantamount to an open sewer.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 25th, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old April 25th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #4467
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

I think if you consider the sheer enormity of the project (including the surrounding supertalls), in an area where it can be seen from most angles, in New York City, perhaps the most famous city in the world, the logical conclusion has to be, what many people don't seem to realise, that chances are very high that this is going to become one of the most high-profile business districts on the planet. That you imply that the NYPD would not send a single officer to keep drunks out of the center of the project seems incredible to me.

Hudson Yards isn't two 100 meter towers in a rotten area of Detroit. It's going to be a major landmark in a global metropolis. Someone is going to attend to it. Your arguments seem completely removed from reality.

Kanto liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #4468
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Nice way to enter a discussion
It was a joke, LOL
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #4469
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Deleted
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #4470
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

Quote:

The fact that NY may have many fountains has nothing to do with it and has little connection with my point. They haven't been done in a while in the city, they are old-hat and and developers aren't interested in resurrecting them over something novel that will get people looking (like something very unusual). Also, they are not a significant part of NY's image, despite your claim of total number. Honestly, I have hardly noticed fountains in NYC. ANyway, the reason they hired this artist chap is that they want something that get's people from Baghdad to Bahrain buzzed. And that ain't gonna be no fountain! That's simply nothing special today even if people do purportedly enjoy them(?) Developers are not interested in making NY a beautiful city, they are interested in making a living and attracting publicity and rents!

Most of the water features in NY were done in the "wannabe europe" phase of the city's development. That era has passed. I think you're trying to pull the wood over people's eyes by letting people think that NY is some city that is full of beautiful fountains everywhere like a Rome (where there is a fountain on every square). Walk through midtown, the center of NYC and the equivalent of Rome's old city and Paris's central districts, and you'll hardly see a fountain. Bottom line: fountains are not a significant part of NY's history or character and are unlikely to be missed in HY. Who in the world thinks of NY when they hear the word fountain? Maybe a callow person from the farm in idaho, but hardly a global sophisticate who globes trots the world and has seen the best of the best.

I'm afraid that your wish for a beautiful fountain that will rival the best in the world will never be fulfilled because those old European looking fountains, and even the contemporary variety, are just not considered special enough anymore nor a part of NY's image. And at the end of the day, it is quite obvious from recent trends that in the USA, the fountain thing has run it's course.

You're not from NY and clearly have an inferiority complex about it.

Here are some of NY's old fountains. In addition, there are scores of modern ones.

.com/blog/images/large041202.jpg[/IMG]

Here are some Of the scores of New York's modern fountains. Of course, the WTC Memorial is one of the greatest in the world.

[IMG]http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/128394976-lincoln-center-plaza-and-fountain-nyc-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=VOuXddnrY63cyrfH0iy7KZ2Iyl6BSGFGLtjlPZfXiRtpHgD8%2BRSoGmA1wVcjp4U3[/IMG]

By the way, there will be plenty of fountains at the HY.

Perhaps if "City of Platinum" ever comes to NY, he can make more informed statements, though his NY envy clearly will preclude him from coming here, as he would be overwhelmed by grief as he observes the City's greatness.

Last edited by Yellow Fever; April 25th, 2015 at 10:36 PM.
LondoniumLex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #4471
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:

Most of the water features in NY were done in the "wannabe europe" phase of the city's development. That era has passed.
Fountains were erected in cities up to the late 19th and early 20th centuries for reasons of salubrity...beauty was typically of second concern...
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #4472
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:

You clearly haven`t spent much - or any - time in NYC, yet here you are educating everybody about it. New York`s many fountains are very far from being children infested or particularly noisy - although in a city where millions of tourists roam around it`s pretty pointless to talk about crowds and noise levels.
One of Hudson Yard`s main competitors is the WTC and since on their plaza they have - for greatly sad reasons - constructed the largest fountains in the US (which - how is that wannabe European - such a BS remark), I highly doubt that Related would try to pull a fountain as their main feature on the plaza.
But nevertheless they won`t go in a different direction because fountains are `old-hat` and not spectacular enough.

Last edited by generalscarr; April 26th, 2015 at 06:11 AM.
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:09 AM   #4473
linden82

Likes (Received): 1

Is it just me or does the building look... fat?

Kanto liked this post
linden82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #4474
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Yes, the fountain concept, which has been done already to great effect at the WTC site, is no longer the big news maker that it once was. It's been done to death. That is my primary point. The digression into my personal preferences regarding fountains was probably better left out.

There are indeed many nice fountains in NYC. However, most of the new ones are ugly. Another reason why I am happy we are not getting a fountain here.

Last decade or two was the time for the big modern PR/tourist attraction fountain. We saw that at the WTC, the massive fountains in Vegas, Chicagos Grant Park, and elsewhere. The developers are obviously interested in doing something unique, and a fountain is just not grand or novel enough to get people talking anymore. I doubt they are not doing a fountain out of respect for thr WTC, but rather for pure business reasons. It's simple marketing/pr. Pull a rabitt out of your hat and make the world focus their eyes on your development and this artist is known for unusual works that get magazines printing glossy photos and writing text.

There is truth to the wannabe Europe statement. Early in NYs and Americas history, the focus was on Eruope, and cities all across the country strove to import all manner of European styles, including architectural, furniture, etc and culture - oh yeah, and old wedding cake style fountains. They even talked with a transatlantic accent back then, at least the elite did. Everyone wanted to show that the USA was cultured and not a backward frontier,and that meant European everything was in vogue.

And to the poster above who claims the fountain would be guarded well by the police, fair enough. Other cities however have had a terrible time with fountains becoming dirty and drunk infested sewers so it wasn't an unreasonable concern. They are often a problem if not we'll maintained and guarded.

I am done commenting on this fountain topic now. Whatever is built I hope is spectacular.

Last edited by City-of-Platinum; April 26th, 2015 at 04:05 AM.
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #4475
City-of-Platinum
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden82 View Post
Yes. It is obese.

Kanto liked this post
Old April 26th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #4476
Malm

Likes (Received): 155

This is how you build a city!
Malm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #4477
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

its not a fountain...

MarshallKnight, j-biz liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #4478
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
its not a fountain...
JackO, I wish I could like this post a thousand times.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 08:17 PM   #4479
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Guys this is a thread about a skyscraper not fountains, seriously...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #4480
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden82 View Post
Agreed, this building is one of the fattest supertalls out there. That is one reason why I think this building is at best very medicore architecture

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street