daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #5301
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
haha
Wow what an enlightening post, everything is briefly and clearly expressed in just a few letters.
I've noticed you in plenty of US threads, trying to make fun of something (like in Wilshire Grand Center a couple of months ago, if I remember correctly you were having some sort of ironic California dreaming comment). And you always seem to care more for politics (Metropolis in this case) rather than architecture. If you aren't impressed from this projects then skyscrapercity has a lot more threads from a lot more countries and cities, you should not bother checking these projects at all. That's my advice for you stick to the projects that you really like, or at least write something on topic for once. Bye bye.

BLACK DAHLIA, webeagle12, Andre_idol liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #5302
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Lol!!...Fully agree with you!....Once more!!
This guy is like a bug going round...
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #5303
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4605

I never realized how massive this building is gonna be till I saw it in person.

This is truly a massive site. Definitely reminiscent of when the WTC was under construction.

Last edited by Ghostface79; August 20th, 2016 at 02:41 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 01:08 AM   #5304
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Wow what an enlightening post, everything is briefly and clearly expressed in just a few letters.
I've noticed you in plenty of US threads, trying to make fun of something (like in Wilshire Grand Center a couple of months ago, if I remember correctly you were having some sort of ironic California dreaming comment). And you always seem to care more for politics (Metropolis in this case) rather than architecture. If you aren't impressed from this projects then skyscrapercity has a lot more threads from a lot more countries and cities, you should not bother checking these projects at all. That's my advice for you stick to the projects that you really like, or at least write something on topic for once. Bye bye.

You're taking yourself a little too seriously...calm down, this is just an internet forum about tall buildings
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 01:33 AM   #5305
Architecture lover

You're right about this being an internet forum about tall buildings, certainly not the right place to discuss LA's social problems, or even worse trying to make fun of them...hmm...but what do I know I'm just taking myself a little too seriously. I'm okay with him criticizing architecture that he thinks should be better, but I've hardly seen a post of him like that, all I saw was discussing which country has a bigger economy, bigger buildings, bigger staff, it's okay we saw it, he can put his pants on.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 01:35 AM   #5306
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

Hudson Yards and Manhattan West: IMG_1353 by Anthony Poole, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 10:10 PM   #5307
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31757

r_160819311_beat0053_a by Mitch Waxman, on Flickr

McSky, gaab1972, cnbnca, spidey7312, SH16 and 7 others liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #5308
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3040

So there is no concrete core for this building? That's pretty amazing to me, 30 HY must be the tallest building going up without one.
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #5309
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
So there is no concrete core for this building? That's pretty amazing to me, 30 HY must be the tallest building going up without one.
Not that amazing. That thing of concrete cores is something relatively new. Sears Tower doesn't have one, the Twin Towers didn't had one either, and the ESB certainly doesn't have one.

A concrete core has become the standard for skyscrapers, because it is efficient and simple, but it is not like it's mandatory. In the case of this building, erected above an active railyard, it wasn't possible to build a concrete core, it would've landed directly on the tracks. They have to use a complex system of leaning columns, trusses and diagonal bracing instead, in order to avoid the tracks.
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #5310
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Lower Manhattan by WECIV, on Flickr
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #5311
Architecture lover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2YkREFOr8
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #5312
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Not that amazing. That thing of concrete cores is something relatively new. Sears Tower doesn't have one, the Twin Towers didn't had one either, and the ESB certainly doesn't have one.

A concrete core has become the standard for skyscrapers, because it is efficient and simple, but it is not like it's mandatory. In the case of this building, erected above an active railyard, it wasn't possible to build a concrete core, it would've landed directly on the tracks. They have to use a complex system of leaning columns, trusses and diagonal bracing instead, in order to avoid the tracks.
I seem to recall that the Twin Towers did have cores, and that they were some of the first to do so.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #5313
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I seem to recall that the Twin Towers did have cores, and that they were some of the first to do so.
They indeed had cores but they were not concrete. The cores at the twins were framed in structural steel.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #5314
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

I raised similar questions and got great responses, this one from NYStruct (post 4764):

"It's not only the twin towers or the ESB, there are many buildings in NYC which are made of structural steel framing relying on a "steel core" composed of braced frames. I made a post listing some of them previously.

There is no building code requirements to design a building to withstand the impact of a plane. Considering the low probability of occurrence, that would be insanely detrimental from the economic standpoint and the money is better spent ensuring better security in airports and planes.

Regarding bomb threats, there are blast protection design requirements and analysis for the structural members and connections. The members in the core and brace frames are "oversized" in the sense that it would take a lot of heat and time before the capacity would be significantly reduced + they are also "protected" with fireproofing or intumescent painting and there will also likely be a sprinkler system.

Lastly there are several cores with braced frames for this particular building (as opposed as just one main core in concrete buildings) to provide redundancy - so if one core/stairwell is disabled, another one would be available."
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #5315
Cobblepot

Likes (Received): 1160

August 16, 2016:

August 20, 2016:

Old August 26th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #5316
lwetli

Likes (Received): 424

(8-25-16)

Untitled by lance wetli, on Flickr

Old August 26th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #5317
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 710

The tower portion is now gaining height. Such a long way too go still. This is going to be a skyline changer for NY. The start for a massive addition to the midtown density.

Great to see these kind of developments are still possible in NY.

Architecture lover liked this post
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5318
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50785

20160820-_IGP6895-3 by Bill Benzon, on Flickr
Old August 27th, 2016, 04:43 PM   #5319
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

from last month

consistency by Andrew Mohrer, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #5320
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

What's the speed/rate at which they build floors?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street