daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #5521
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
The core size of a building must certainly be one determining factor. Look at the plans of some of these buildings with a substantial percentage of the floor area being taken up with elevators. It's obvious that the less floor area has to be devoted to services, the more viable a building will be since you can lease more area.

Plot/height ratios are obviously always in tension with other factors.

The point about residential buildings needing fewer elevators is certainly a determining factor since if the same building, say 432 Park Ave., was an office building the elevator capacity would not be enough for the number of people working per floor. Those floors with four residential units on them might have only 4 people per unit = 16 total living on each floor. You could easily triple or quadruple that if it was an office building and therefore it might not be viable since the elevator capacity would need to increase thereby reducing the rentable floor area.
Just to clarify one thing, the space taken for the elevators (as the one taken for mechanichal equipment, parking and other uses) is not counted on the FAR, just usable space. So, adding more elevators wouldn't diminish the area the developer could sell/lease. For example if you are allowed to build 45000 sq meters, you could build a 30 story tower with 1500 sq meters of usable space in each floor, but the size of the actual floor would be larger when included the elevators shafts, elevator lobbies and stairs, let's say another 300 sq meters, with the total area of the floor being 1800 sq meters. The building could also have some floors dedicated to mechanichal equipment, for example two aditional floors, so your tower will have 32 stories of 1800 sq meters, totalizing 57600 sq meters of gross area, but only 45000 would be usable and thus counted for the FAR. If you increase the area dedicated for vertical circulation to 400 sq meters on each floor, you can still have your 1500 sq meters of rentable space enlarging the total gross area of the floor to 1900 sq meters.

I think elevators are indeed a factor, just not the most important. More elevators increase the overall cost of the building, but also a taller building would need a more complex structure, making it costlier.

In the case of 432 park ave, each floor is about 90 X 90 feet (27,5 X 27,5 meters) so about 8100 sq ft/ 750 sq meters with the usable space I think being no more than 7000 sq ft / 650 sq meters. If you need more elevators you can add them making each plate larger and conserving your 650 sq meters of usable space. But the thing is that 650 sq meters in residential is ok, but for a large office building seeking for big companies as tenants, is pretty lame, so the developer would make each floor with a least double the usable space, then reducing the number of floors (and the height of the building) by half.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #5522
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Thanks for the input.

webeagle12 liked this post
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #5523
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13250

@garyhershorn
potipoti está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #5524
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I often still can´t believe this complex is happening, it´s too good to be true. <3

goodybear liked this post
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #5525
Luca9A8M

Likes (Received): 6899

2 December, 2016

30HY 2 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

30HY 3 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

30HY 4 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

30HY 5 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

30HY 6 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

30HY 7 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

30HY by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

15HY2 by tectonic Photo, on Flickr

alley cat, cnbnca, gaab1972, Swiddle, Eddie55 and 9 others liked this post
Luca9A8M está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 06:23 PM   #5526
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Don't think this was shared. Not 30 HY news per se, but related.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-hudson-yards

"Swiss Watch Seller to Join Retailers at Manhattan’s Hudson Yards"

"...Watches of Switzerland -- with labels such as Rolex, Cartier and Patek Philippe -- is among merchants Related plans to announce on Wednesday to fill the 750,000-square-foot (70,000-square-meter) retail concourse, which will sit between the 10 and 30 Hudson Yards skyscrapers. The leases will bring the shopping mall to almost 60 percent occupancy..."

"...Other stores include the fashion brands Aritzia, AG Jeans, Athleta and Banana Republic. H&M and Zara are planning two-story “mini-anchor” stores, Himmel said. They will join the city’s first Neiman Marcus department store, plus restaurants being curated by celebrity chef Thomas Keller in the seven-story complex, scheduled to open in 2018..."
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #5527
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50785

December 4, 2016

West Side Yard, NYC by Steven J. Messina, on Flickr
Old December 5th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #5528
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25169

Quote:
Originally Posted by potipoti View Post

@garyhershorn

It's crazy to think that 30 HY and 35HY (u/c in front) will be well out of this frame when complete
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #5529
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Untitled by Justin Whiteford, on Flickr

Old December 5th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #5530
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 853

I thought these pictures were pretty interesting..

Pictures are from:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...87315&page=146
&
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joevar...n/photostream/

There are lots of great pictures of the site too.. Check them out!

Last edited by Pohtija; December 5th, 2016 at 11:38 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #5531
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post

Not to be Debbie Downer, but what's the point of that observation "thrill window" if it's just going to be looking down upon a terrace ~10 floors below it? It would be one thing the platform was projected out over 10th Ave, but since the tower is sloped back away from the street, you'll need to be standing pretty far back (like the POV in that render) to see much of interest other than the roof of the mall below.

Looking like a bit of a gimmick to attract folks away from the 4 other observation decks. Time will tell how successful they'll be, especially since One Vandy is going to be so convenient for anyone arriving in NYC via Grand Central, and will apparently also have outdoor space with arguably more iconic views.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #5532
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

The part directly over the terrace isn't where the thrill window is located.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #5533
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
The part directly over the terrace isn't where the thrill window is located.
I mean, you're right that it's not directly over -- the Western edge of the window glass seems to roughly line up up with the edge of the terrace, so if you're drawing a straight line, yes, the window is out over space. But from several stories above, the illusion created from several angles will be that you're essentially standing over the terrace.

Terrace aside through, the thrill window is well within the overall footprint of 30 HY. So it still appears that you'll have to stand on the Western portion of the window, or even back on the platform away from the glass, to get a decent view of the street below without it being obstructed by the tower.

Very possible I'm overreacting -- it's hard to get a perfect sense of it just looking at scale models and ideally-positioned renders. Part of me is probably looking for issues since I still think the platform massively detracts from the overall appearance of the tower and the Hudson Yards as a whole (but of course it's going to be a massive money-maker, so what do they care?)
Old December 5th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #5534
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

The models look otherworldly, so does the platform. I just love the triangular transparent form. Sleek futurism. Eccentric, yet classy, glassy, glossy.

cnbnca liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #5535
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

I believe that the platform will make the entire complex instantly recognizable

Architecture lover liked this post
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #5536
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbnca View Post
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #5537
Architecture lover

The user only shared an opinion. As obvious as it is, I still don't get your reaction. If you feel bored reading our obvious statements, well, then, goodbye my lover, goodbye my friend!

streetscapeer liked this post
Old December 6th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #5538
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbnca View Post
It certainly will be recognizable, but for my money the whole complex would look better without it.

Setting aside how the deck makes the tower look like a penguin from some angles (don't try to convince me otherwise, once it's been seen it can't be unseen), my biggest issue actually starts with the heights of 35, 50 and the West Tower. Since they're all around ~1100 ft., they form an unmistakable plateau. 30 HY, as the centerpiece building, should be busting through and soaring over that plateau, and in the renders without the observation deck, it appears to be. But because the observation deck essentially matches those heights, the impression is that it's just the tip of 30 HY rising above, making it less "centerpiece-y."

KillerZavatar, Melonus, cnbnca, terpi liked this post
Old December 6th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #5539
Architecture lover

Oh Marsahall show some love for the platform already. The view is going to be pretty spectacular, even if you don't like the transparent triangle glass in its center, the view on the Hudson river is going to be truly breathtaking. Not to mention 1WTC shining in Lower Manhattan. I think the platform is a wonderful addition.

cnbnca liked this post
Old December 6th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #5540
cnbnca

Likes (Received): 235

Both of you guys are making very good points! I like the penguin analogy very much, btw :-) I guess we have to wait, what it's going to look like in real life.

MarshallKnight liked this post
cnbnca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street