daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #741
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

make a company THEN buy it
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #742

Likes (Received): 1439

Meh, I would have prefered the olympic stadium proposal.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #743
isdmd10

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Meh, I would have prefered the olympic stadium proposal.
The Jets' stadium? Yeah that would have been nice in a different way. This is for anyone who opposed that project due to construction and development tying up traffic among other issues. Something was gonna be built there, and now instead of 8 crowded Sundays a year it's 24/7 between permanent residents and major office buildings.

I'm just glad it's being developed period.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #744
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdmd10 View Post
The Jets' stadium? Yeah that would have been nice in a different way. This is for anyone who opposed that project due to construction and development tying up traffic among other issues. Something was gonna be built there, and now instead of 8 crowded Sundays a year it's 24/7 between permanent residents and major office buildings.

I'm just glad it's being developed period.
Yep, better something than nothing. Especially in this area of the city.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM   #745
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

www.wsj.com

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIAL
NOVEMBER 21, 2011

"Architect Returns to Drawing Board"

By ROBBIE WHELAN

Last spring, developer Related Cos. became disenchanted with the design of the first phase of Hudson Yards, the gargantuan project on top of a train storage yard along the Hudson River.

"I could tell that Stephen wasn't in love with it," recalls Jay Cross, who oversees the project for Related, referring to the developer's chairman, Stephen Ross. "He felt he wanted the buildings to be more dramatic. And we found that the marketplace was looking for bigger buildings."

That made for a busy summer for Related and its architect William Pedersen, one of the name partners at the firm Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates. The result, which was recently unveiled, is an improvement in terms of the interactions of the buildings if not in the aesthetics of the buildings themselves.

With 26 acres and more than 12 million square feet of potential developable space overtop Hudson Yards competes with the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site as New York's current, highest-profile development effort. Related has signed a deal with handbag-maker Coach Inc. to move its headquarters into 600,000 square feet in the south tower.

Kohn Pedersen Fox

A new rendering shows two jagged towers.
.Kohn Pedersen's original first-phase design called for three boxy steel office towers, the shortest one in the middle, along the east side of the site. Each building had the same square-jawed look of consternation: renderings showed stacks of long, plain blocks of steel and concrete arrayed to look like a cubist abstraction, or a screenshot from Tetris, the old block-stacking video-game. In between was to be four stories of retail space centered around a large glass box with a cyclone-shaped structure.

The design wasn't terrible. But it wasn't the sort of arresting, statement-making architecture that one would expect a next-big-thing type of project. KPF's early designs for the buildings were like Buckingham Palace bobbies: standing straight and erect, faces constant, but not saying much of anything at all.

The new plan for phase one, recently unveiled, describes a much different composition. The 30-story middle building is gone. New renderings show two jagged towers—the more northerly one 67 stories and sloping diagonally toward the city, the other, 51 stories and angled towards the Hudson—that slash through the skyline. Connecting the two buildings will be eight stories of retail and trading-floor space.

William Pedersen, the architect of the Hudson Yards project, in his studio at Kohn Pedersen Fox.
.The two office towers are disappointing as stand-alone buildings. Like most modern office towers they are brash and arrogant instead of being noble and poised. Their form is shard-like: all harsh angles with a jaggedness that evokes crystals or canyon rock formations.

But the new design helps make up for this in the way the office buildings interact. The mirror-image slopes of the two buildings, which would regard one another differently from nearly every angle of viewing, give viewers the sensation of two dancers in the midst of a paso doble. The southern building, which would house Coach, is, sensibly, the female of the pair —slightly shorter, with the atrium manifested as a slit in the dancer's ball gown, giving a glimpse of a flash of leg underneath.

Mr. Pedersen talks frequently of the "responsibility of tall buildings" to interact rationally with the urban context around them. The towers, through their interplay, emphasize the presence of a long, open, park space—set to run east-west from the towers to the river—that will go in between them.

"The buildings have to be able to, by their internal biology, create social connections," Mr. Pedersen says. "Too many buildings around the world have independent, sculptural shapes. The effect here is to connect the building directly to the city."

This intent is certainly palpable in the design. And if Related eventually ends up landing another signature tenant for the north tower, the plan will be realized, and the two buildings will go ahead and dance their way around the fabric of the city's newest cluster of statement-making skyscrapers.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:47 PM   #746
anakngpasig

Likes (Received): 8624

cool
anakngpasig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:04 PM   #747
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

A few days ago I saw the info (though not a model) in SSP diagrams but now they've removed it. I wonder why?
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:49 PM   #748
sidra2010143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

very different project
sidra2010143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #749
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/ny...velopment.html
From Ashes of Olympic Bid, a Future Rises for the Far West Side

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
November 27, 2011

Quote:
Late in his first term, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg suffered a stinging defeat when, after an extensive planning and public relations effort, New York City lost its bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Now, though, a vibrant neighborhood is rising in the area where the Olympic stadium and complex would have stood on the Far West Side of Manhattan. As a result, officials, developers and urban planners are embracing an unlikely notion: the Olympic bid’s defeat may have been one of the best things to happen for the city’s growth in recent memory.

No one expects the Far West Side to look like the office canyons on Avenue of the Americas anytime soon. Another deep recession in the next few years could undermine nascent plans.

Still, city officials predict that within two decades, Hudson Yards could have more office space than Baltimore or Portland, Ore., and as many apartments as Stamford, Conn.

Commercial development has progressed more slowly because of the area’s lack of public transportation, its untested location and the costly decks that must be built over the railroad tracks. Even so, Related, Brookfield Properties, Sherwood Equities and other developers at Hudson Yards said they were optimistic that the first set of commercial buildings was only a few years off, especially with the subway extension set to open in 2013.
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #750
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12436

lovely project thums up

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #751
I am he

Likes (Received): 5

Very nice project indeed...Is this in the place of the Brookfield Manhattan west proposal, or is it a different project?? - Ive not been to New York in 3 years, massive change in skyscrapers in that short time with the WTC, and One57! Great buildings
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #752
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post
Very nice project indeed...Is this in the place of the Brookfield Manhattan west proposal, or is it a different project?? - Ive not been to New York in 3 years, massive change in skyscrapers in that short time with the WTC, and One57! Great buildings
Look at the pic on top of the page. Manhattan west is squeezed into that little square.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:33 AM   #753
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am he View Post
It's a different project. The area that this and Manhattan West are located in has many empty parcels, each of which has millions of square feet or air rights. Thus, in 20 years, this area will be a forest of towers well in excess of 350m.
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:43 AM   #754
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

It is a shame they cancelled one station on the 7 line extension.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:46 AM   #755
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
It is a shame they cancelled one station on the 7 line extension.
I agree. Maybe it will be built in the future.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM   #756
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I'm happy that so much construction is planned for this huge site, though I do hope that they leave some place free for a megatall in the future. These planned towers are beautiful but I still think NY needs a new building that is built not for sheer profit, but which is truly visionary, like the ESB or the Twins. I'm an optimist and I think that 'til the end of this century NYC will have a new world's tallet building
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:33 PM   #757
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I'm happy that so much construction is planned for this huge site, though I do hope that they leave some place free for a megatall in the future. These planned towers are beautiful but I still think NY needs a new building that is built not for sheer profit, but which is truly visionary, like the ESB or the Twins. I'm an optimist and I think that 'til the end of this century NYC will have a new world's tallet building
Something like the big towers in Shanghai, probably. I don't see a tallest tower in New York ever again.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:31 PM   #758
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Who knows, so many decades left 'til the end of this century, it could become reality
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM   #759
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

NY will never have the worlds tallest building, but it could have the most supertalls in one place which is equally if not more impressive... I say that because, if the Jeddah tower gets built, it will be 3300 feet tall, NY will never build half that high... but maybe itll build so many 1000-1300 footers that it will be more impressive that a city with one 3000 footer
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM   #760
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57971

NYC will always stay the classic skyscraper capital, which has a lot more value forever than all the plastic phallus clowntowns somewhere in the deserts combined.

But anyway, this doesn't belong here, so please stick to the topic which is the Hudson Yards project. Thanks.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street