daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #881
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

New York is leagues ahead of any Other city.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:40 AM   #882
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
hmmm. try no to think. Know for sure. Manhattan is still 2-3 x more skyscrapers than Hong Kong at present, china's most skyscraper density megacity.

By 2015, NYC is adding atleast 6-7 more supertalls or near supertall. all is good. No city can beat NYC anytime soon. although, Dubai is trying very hard
let's look it up on ctbuh.org
skyscraper is defined as building over 200m.

so new york has completed buildings over 200m: 52
and hong kong has completed buildings over 200m: 62

for buildings over 150m you have a similar result.
New York is together with Hong Kong the most dense city in the world and these two are probably the only ones that can be defined as dense skyline cities, because as far as i know shanghai is the third on the list and its far behind these two in terms of 150m buildings for 200m and up it also has 45 and is quite close. but saying nyc cannot be beaten is not quite true.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #883
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
New York is leagues ahead of any Other city.

In terms of what? I love NY as much as anyone, while no city makes NY look small in terms of skyscrapers there are some that surely compete.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #884
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
In terms of what? I love NY as much as anyone, while no city makes NY look small in terms of skyscrapers there are some that surely compete.
In many respects, but I was referring to skyscrapers. As I've said, New York's sea of pre-WWII skyscrapers can never be replicated by newcomers like Shanghai (which has a few), Dubai, HK, etc. Chicago has a tiny fraction of the huge number that NY does.

In addition to these old gems, NY is building tons of great supertalls.
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #885
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Bob, I think you should remove that boring "Registered user" from your avatar and put "New York supremacy crusader" in it instead
Old January 20th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #886
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
In many respects, but I was referring to skyscrapers. As I've said, New York's sea of pre-WWII skyscrapers can never be replicated by newcomers like Shanghai (which has a few), Dubai, HK, etc. Chicago has a tiny fraction of the huge number that NY does.

In addition to these old gems, NY is building tons of great supertalls.
it's funny how you make your own rules, you talk about skyscrapers, but to push new york on top you only let old skyscrapers count but if it was about culture and old buildings the usa would be the last place to go. New York has an amazing skyline, but in terms of height it is currently not on top. if you ask about design or style thats a different question that everyone has to answer by themselves, but in height its just not right.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #887
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
it's funny how you make your own rules, you talk about skyscrapers, but to push new york on top you only let old skyscrapers count but if it was about culture and old buildings the usa would be the last place to go. New York has an amazing skyline, but in terms of height it is currently not on top. if you ask about design or style thats a different question that everyone has to answer by themselves, but in height its just not right.
If it was about culture, NY would be at the absolute top. Only Paris and London rival it in that regard. If we discussed old buildings, Rome has no peer whatsoever.
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:38 AM   #888
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

I think that everyone else who reads that will have a little laugh just like I did
Eastern37 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:37 AM   #889
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Haha. There are people who are having to revise their concepts. Cities in China has more buildings because of the excessive amount of people, it is because of cheap labor, so much easier to build buildings that most of the world. Now let's see, the cities of China has: High rise buildings and what else ...? ZzZz.Zz. I will not even talk a bit about the history of China, because everybody knows it.

Anyway, I will not waste my time talking about it, because google is there and is open to anyone who wants to do research on a little history.

I'm looking forward to watching this project to get more tenants and start being built soon. This will greatly strengthen this part of town.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:51 AM   #890
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
To be fair the twin towers didn't get knocked down in any other city.

Once the WTC and some others are built it will be MUCH better.

As for Hong Kong, it definitely has more highrises than NYC, but to say many Chinese cities do is not correct. Shanghai is second behind HK and has less 200 meter towers.

Even then, why does everything have to be a China vs USA thing? jeesus
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #891
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

Because there the only 2 countries that have big skyscraper cities.......
Eastern37 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:45 AM   #892
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Why no pictures then?

Seriously, photos of the site would be very welcome. I'm especially interested in the buildings that are intended to be torn down.
Trust me - it is one o f the rarest cases when it is either no buildings at all or just warehouses. It is almost completely empty.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #893
RobertWalpole
BANNED

According to the WSJ's 23 Jan. 2012 edition, the London-based media company, Group M, seeks 600,000 sf and has been speaking with Related's representatives for the Hudson Yards, as have Bloomberg and Time-Warner.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...189476996.html

NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIAL JANUARY 23, 2012 New Darlings of Development Article Stock Quotes Comments more in NewYork-Real Estate | Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ »Email Print Save ↓ More
smaller Larger
By LAURA KUSISTO And ELIOT BROWN
A major ad agency is looking for a huge new office in a space search that's welcome news for landlords facing high vacancy rates and developers hoping to move forward on new office skyscrapers.

Ramin Talaie for The Wall Street Journal

498 Seventh Ave., one of two buildings currently occupied by the advertising agency, GroupM.
GroupM, the media buying and planning arm of London-based WPP PLC, is looking for 500,000 to 600,000 square feet, according to multiple people familiar with the matter. That's enough office space to cover more than eight football fields.

GroupM and its broker, CBRE Group Inc., have made preliminary inquiries at new developments, including Related Cos.' Hudson Yards project, according to people familiar with the search.

Related has been searching for another tenant to join handbag maker Coach Inc. to help launch its first building at the 26-acre site.

Another possibility would be one of the new buildings being developed at the World Trade Center. There also are blocks of space over 500,000 square feet at towers such as developer Steven Pozycki's 11 Times Square in Midtown and Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s former headquarters at 85 Broad St., according to CBRE.

A spokesman for GroupM confirmed the company had begun looking for space, but noted that its current leases don't expire for another five to seven years. "We are in the very early exploratory phase of checking out some other locations, including some places that aren't even built yet," the spokesman said.

It's always good news for landlords when big tenants enter the market. But it's especially welcome now when the city's economy remains shaky and faces contractions by the financial-services industry—the sector which occupies the most New York office space.

Lately, media and advertising firms have become the new darling of office-building owners. Some of the biggest leases last year were by Conde Nast, which signed a 1-million-square-foot lease at 1 World Trade Center last spring, and Young & Rubicam, a WPP subsidiary, which inked a 340,000-square-foot deal at a recently revamped 3 Columbus Circle.

Time Warner Inc. and Bloomberg L.P. have also spoken with Related about its Hudson Yards development, according to people familiar with the matter.

A recent report by CBRE Group Inc. showed media companies making up 13% of Manhattan occupancy by industry, compared with 11% in 2005. Financial-services tenants, meanwhile, shrunk to 26% from 29%.

New leasing activity by ad and media companies may be good for individual landlords, but not necessarily for the entire market, which has been facing a higher than usual vacancy rate. That's because often firms are doing deals for the same amount of space they're giving up, moving into more efficient offices that allow them to squeeze in more workers per square foot.

Group M, for example, which buys advertising time on behalf of marketers, is currently spread over about 500,000 square feet in two buildings on Seventh Avenue, but is looking to consolidate its employees into about the same amount of space, according to a person familiar with the company's thinking.
Old January 24th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #894
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
Kind of knew this already about the asia skyscraper boom.

Maybe its just the Manhattan affect. that super high NYC density makes it look clearly more imposing than HK & Dubai can ever look.
It doesn't matter, Dubai clearly has the tallest skyline by far. 23 supertalls, and the most buildings over 250m. It only looses out on high-rises.

Shanghai will only have 6 supertalls, same with NYC and HK. I expect Shanghai to have more soon enough.

NY hardly looks imposing to me compared to HK. If you look at HK pics, it cearly has more height and density. Dubai of course looks even more imposing from a distance due to its extreme height, more imposing than any of them. Dubai is simply amazing with the amount of supertalls it has built in 10 years.

I think Dubai will be the King for a long time when it comes to supertalls.. Unless it basically stops building, only a few cities will ever challenge it in the next 20 years in the height department. Probably Shenzen, Guangzhou or Shanghai. I guess NYC has a chance to become #3 or #4 if the economy picked up.

Last edited by aquablue; January 24th, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #895
lakegz

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

NY hardly looks imposing to me compared to HK. If you look at HK pics, it cearly has more height and density. Dubai of course looks even more imposing from a distance due to its extreme height, more imposing than any of them. Dubai is simply amazing with the amount of supertalls it has built in 10 years.
Just take into account that a significant portion of HK's hi-rises get a free height boost by sitting on the slopes of those hills.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #896
Fardeb

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Shanghai will only have 6 supertalls, same with NYC and HK. I expect Shanghai to have more soon enough.
NYC will have 6 Supertalls T/O in a matter of months when 1WTC and One57 top out. Then there are these two for the first stage of Hudson Yards, 2WTC and 3WTC that are started but will take a couple years to complete, 432 Park which is well into the prep phase and around another half dozen midtown proposals that have a realistic chance sometime in the next 5 or so years.

I think it's safe to say NYC will have more then 6 soon enough as well.

Last edited by Fardeb; January 25th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
Fardeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #897
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardeb View Post
NYC will have 6 Supertalls T/O in a matter of months when 1WTC and One57 top out. Then there are these two for the first stage of Hudson Yards, 2WTC and 3WTC that are started but will take a couple years to complete, 432 Park which is well into the prep phase and around another half dozen midtown proposals that have a realistic chance sometime in the next 5 or so years.

I think it's safe to say NYC will have more then 6 soon enough as well.
to roof, not spire.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #898
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegz View Post
Just take into account that a significant portion of HK's hi-rises get a free height boost by sitting on the slopes of those hills.
This and the fact that NY's skyscrapers are literally besides each other forming a canyon whereas in HK, Shanghai, and Dubai, the buildings are far apart hence you can appreciate their height

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #899
Fardeb

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
to roof, not spire.
The last i knew architectural spires count towards the official height of the building so I am just going with the official numbers here.

Even if you go by roof height these two towers and every other proposal i mentioned will be a supertall without need of a spire, so what i said would still be true. It would just eliminate Chrysler,BoA and the NYTimes(I can understand that one in a way). It wouldn't change that there will be more then 6 soon enough.
Fardeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #900
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardeb View Post
It wouldn't change that there will be more then 6 soon enough.
I hope so.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street