daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #901
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Heey... Competition from Asian cities is x NY is getting very boring. Both have their qualities, that's cool, but this issue appears in almost all topics. I think we should stop comparing cities, and talk more about this project itself.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #902
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by rencharles View Post
Heey... Competition from Asian cities is x NY is getting very boring. Both have their qualities, that's cool, but this issue appears in almost all topics. I think we should stop comparing cities, and talk more about this project itself.
Someone said that NY was more imposing than HK, which is ridiculous and deserved a rebuttal.

HK has supertalls on the water which loom over you, taller than anything currently in NYC. Now that is an imposing skyline. HK's density makes NYC look like London. Dubai also, although not dense, is far more imposing from a distance given the massive height. Up close is a different story because it becomes evident that the scrapers are spaced out and there are vast distances between clusters unless you stand near the Burj cluster.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #903
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fardeb View Post
The last i knew architectural spires count towards the official height of the building so I am just going with the official numbers here.

Even if you go by roof height these two towers and every other proposal i mentioned will be a supertall without need of a spire, so what i said would still be true. It would just eliminate Chrysler,BoA and the NYTimes(I can understand that one in a way). It wouldn't change that there will be more then 6 soon enough.
I never count spindly spires as part of the height, it is ridiculous. I mean, anyone can stick a pole on a building and call it a super tall. I also find it very dangerous to try to predict NY's future supertall count, given the tendancy for buildings to be cancelled or to go on hold for years.

Dubai has experienced the most major boom in history of skyscrapers. I don't know how many are real supertalls to roof, but I'd say 15+ at least. Only China will have a city that could possibly challenge that title in the next 20 years, but I doubt it. My money would be on a Shenzhen or one of those new cities in China that don't have to worry about heritage or space and are in full boom mode.

Last edited by aquablue; January 26th, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old January 27th, 2012, 01:31 AM   #904
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I think Dubai will be the King for a long time when it comes to supertalls.. Unless it basically stops building,
Since it has stopped building and no additional buildings are starting it already has begun to decline!
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #905
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

isnt this a thread about hudson yards?
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #906
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

The Hudson Yards demonstrate why NY is the architectural capital of the world. It's truly amazing that a developed city is building an entirely new "city within a city" with stunning supertalls like the ones that will rise at the Hudson Yards.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #907
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

That's whats happening all around the world mate. Perth has had this vision for a long time now and they are now finding contractors to start building it.

Personally, I don't get why an established city like NY or Perth would do such a thing. I would prefer them build it somewhere else.

NY, like Perth, is too mixed up and random to have something that planned. It will make the rest of the area look like rubbish, ie. it doesn't fit into the skyline!!!!.

Think about how ugly ICC complex would look if it was on HK Island.

or Pudong in Puxi?

Big developments like these are getting a bit lame now with so many countries (China/SKorea/India etc...) having these planned looks.
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #908
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Since it has stopped building and no additional buildings are starting it already has begun to decline!
For now....

On topic: Hudson yards is great. I really like this 'new' direction for the city, with towers that are rather iconic IMO. Cutting blade like buildings that slope will really help propel midtown's skyline into a new era. The area around there is full heavy brick buildings and these light glass towers will help balance everything out.
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #909
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

There are reports saying that companies like Bloomberg and Time Warner want to build new headquarters buildings in Hudson Yards. Bloomberg and Time Warner are currently headquartered in mixed use buildings.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #910
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
For now....

On topic: Hudson yards is great. I really like this 'new' direction for the city, with towers that are rather iconic IMO. Cutting blade like buildings that slope will really help propel midtown's skyline into a new era. The area around there is full heavy brick buildings and these light glass towers will help balance everything out.
I agree that Hudson Yards have iconic towers and that this project will create a quite major new hub in midtown but I still think that both in being iconic and in creating a hub of activity the new WTC is superior. Just my 2 cents
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #911
Ajaypp
Trivandrum Lobbyist

Likes (Received): 1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I agree that Hudson Yards have iconic towers and that this project will create a quite major new hub in midtown but I still think that both in being iconic and in creating a hub of activity the new WTC is superior. Just my 2 cents
The WTC has iconic value independent of the height or design of its towers. However, once we combine the 7 office towers (3 at Hudson Yards, 3 at Manhattan West and 15 Penn) on the Farley Corridor, that would be quite striking too, since it has some separation from the cluster of Midtown skyscrapers.
Ajaypp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #912
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

by the time that the hudson yards are done, Manhattan will have a new skyline to go with midtown and downtown.

Last edited by Hudson11; January 27th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #913
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

For those interested the company that made the CGI for Related is visualhouse, the same studio that made Kingdom Tower's animation.

Some from their webpage (sorry if they were already posted)

Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #914
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Thanks for the renders Otie The towers look far bigger than they should in it. Might that be on purpose and will their height increase when compared to the official data we have now?
Old January 29th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #915
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

^Renders almost always make the surrounding buildings look shorter. I highly doubt there'll be any significant height increase.
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #916
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Great renders, the surrounding building are much uglier whith this towers.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #917
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

True. A lot of those biuldings are awkwardly set or shaped. Some of them are even rotting down as we speak haha
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #918
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

nice renders. I did not expect these towers to be so dominating. They are huge.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:52 PM   #919
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post

The scale of the towers in this rendering is almost comical.

they are way too large.

they look awesome though.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #920
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

actually they're quite right, remember it's an almost 1300 footer next to an 1000 footer with no high buildings in that immediate area, of course they will look huge.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street