daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1041
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

As noted, neither Brookfield, nor any other developer, can compete with Related on pricing. Unlike any other developer, Related seeks to merely break even on its office project and seeks no profit whatsoever.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2012/03...r-builder.html

The Last Master Builder
Stephen Ross is putting his billions, and his legacy, on the line to fix Manhattan's West Side-
and prove that private developers can still profitably transform the urban landscape.

Morgan Brennan

Quote:
Staring across Manhattan’s last untamed strip, the rows of sleek silver commuter trains sliding along the island’s only active rail yard, the Related Companies’ Stephen Ross points to the future. There, flanking the wildly successful High Line elevated park, is where the 56-story South Tower will go. And over there, on the other side of 33rd Street, where massive cranes bisect the sky, will be the new subway entrance.....If he can pull this off, Hudson Yards will become the most significant private development project in Manhattan since John D. Rockefeller Jr. spent $250 million (more than $3 billion in today’s terms) to create the 22-acre Rockefeller Center in the 1930s, expanding and recentering America’s largest and densest city.

In the 1980s the Metropolitan Transit Authority carved out train yards but also had the foresight to construct them in a way that would one day allow for platforms and buildings over the open-air tracks.....Before all the buildings can join Manhattan’s skyline, Tishman Construction, the master builder for the project, will stretch 17 acres’ worth of roughly 6-foot-thick steel-and-concrete platforms over the train yards--without disrupting service for more than 300,000 New Jersey and Long Island commuters a day. It will cost an estimated $800 million just to cover the eastern section of the project area.

Compounding that challenge: 1 World Trade Center, the 105-floor megatower rising at Ground Zero 3 miles to the south, which will open next year. Sixty percent leased, 1 WTC still has more than 1 million square feet empty, about the same amount that remains unfilled in the first of Related’s two high-rise towers. Ross is countering with an unheard-of deal for New York’s commercial tenants: the option to either lease or buy their space--at cost. In other words, Related and Oxford will not turn a profit on the office space but rather will use their tenants as de facto lenders, selling their commitments to cover the upfront costs of platform and building construction. Coach, the *luxury-handbag maker, has been the first to commit, buying 15 stories of the 56-story southern tower. “We will make our money in residential and retail,” says Ross. “We don’t need to make our money in office space.The glass-covered, LEED-certified, high-tech new buildings planned for the Yards represent a minute supply of streamlined, more cost-efficient office space. New York City has exponentially more office space than any other city in the U.S. Yet in Manhattan, where most of that Class A office building stock lies, more than 65% of it is 50 years or older. And only a fraction of that remaining 35% has been built within the past 10 years since light-filled glass walls, energy-cutting technology and wide-open work spaces gained popularity.

Ross says that his team is negotiating with tenants who could assume up to 22 million square feet in aggregate, though that will take some master salesmanship. Hearing that the window of opportunity to snag a prospective tenant is closing, I watch as Ross tells Cross to visit the company’s president immediately--despite the fact that a meeting has not been formally arranged and that it is Cross’ birthday.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #1042
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

New 800 ft tower?

Curbed

Quote:
Architects Chosen for First Hudson Yards Residential Tower
Monday, March 12, 2012, by Sara Polsky

The team at Kohn Pedersen Fox is already hard at work on its design for a pair of towers at Hudson Yards, with Coach set to move into the first one in 2015. Developer Related wants the site's first residential building to be done around the same time, and Related's just chosen the architects at Diller Scofidio + Renfro for the project. The Journal has the deets on the building: it will be around 800 feet tall and have 700 units. DS+R, which has never built a skyscraper, would work with the Rockwell Group on the design. The DS+R-Rockwell team is also working on an arts center to the east of the tower, and Elizabeth Diller tells the Journal they're "very conscious of the adjacency to the High Line," so until renderings are available, we can imagine what that means for the building's design.

[...]
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1043
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Nice to see they're going to build the office and residential towers at the same time. Going to be lots of cranes in that corner of Manhattan.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #1044
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I love the oval shape of the planned hotel pictured above.
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1045
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

The building to the left reminds me of Trump Chicago.
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1046
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Skumonkey

Excavators working on 11 March.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1047
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
The building to the left reminds me of Trump Chicago.
Just wanted to wrote exactly the same
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1048
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

HuffPost NY had this article about the High Line park designs at the Hudson Yards project and it includes a few renderings.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...l?ref=new-york

Also more here:
http://www.thehighline.org/blog/2012...the-rail-yards

Last edited by MusicMan84; March 14th, 2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added images.
MusicMan84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #1049
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28197

wow. that is really cool.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #1050
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post

Hmm.. In the second and last picture, the building in the top left, that's part of the Hudson Yards? There was an old small brick building on that spot that was across the street from the main yards complex, it was demolished a couple months ago. Last time I visited the yards I wondered what's gonna be there in the near future...
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1051
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

The building you're referring to is not part of the Related's Hudson Yard development, and the building that used to be there has been gone for years. It's called 360 10th Ave, and was owned by Extell but the site was foreclosed on in 2009. Extell was planning on building a 774 foot, 236 meter, 61 story mixed use building designed by Steven Holl on the site. The design was pretty mediocre so nothing was lost.

But the site is still zoned for about 650,000 sf feet of development, and the lot is very small, so something tall will eventually rise there, but we probably won't see any movement there until Related's Hudson Yards project across the street really starts to get moving and the neighborhood as a whole starts to turn around.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #1052
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

A stage obove a junction, noisy.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #1053
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Update!
Today at 3 I noticed a large white crane above 32 street. I walk over and see dozens of workers over the prep hole of the Hudson Yards. The gate to the yards was still open and I see a large truck leaving the site I took quick shots of the truck and crane. Then I walk over to the hole and notice that it is much larger as before with an excavator and workers digging in to the back side. Also, the site with the Coach building proposal is also very busy. My phone is not cooperating with my computer right now but I will surely have pictures up by tomorrow afternoon.
Edit: Also, there is work being done at the Brookfield site. According to SSP and others, there is foundation work being done.
Edit2: yay 100 posts?
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #1054
tim1807
faster than buildings

Nice, thanks for your update, let's see the pics.
Besides, at skyscraperpage in the maps section of NYC, the Hudson Yards ER 2 is shown as the highest tower of the city, and it's 800 meters tall.
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1055
RobertWalpole
BANNED

[
QUOTE=Arawooho;89503022]Update!

Today at 3 I noticed ...the site with the Coach building proposal is also very busy. My phone is not cooperating with my computer right now but I will surely have pictures up by tomorrow afternoon.
Edit: Also, there is work being done at the Brookfield site. According to SSP and others, there is foundation work being done.
Edit2: yay 100 posts?[/QUOTE]
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #1056
tim1807
faster than buildings

Look at skyscraperpage in the database of NYC. First Hudson Yards ER 2.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1057
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Related updated its brochure, and the Coach tower is now over 1,000 feet tall.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1058
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Related updated its brochure, and the Coach tower is now over 1,000 feet tall.
Yup, now 1,017 feet/54 floors. Second tower is 1,292 ft/65 floors.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1059
DesignerVoodoo

Likes (Received): 91

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...216d7f16000dd8
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #1060
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Curbed

Quote:
Hudson Yards: Look Out, Here Comes the Neighborhood
Mar. 16 2012

New promotional materials for the Hudson Yards project, passed along by a tipster, outline the transformation of of the train yards site between 10th and 12th avenues into a completely new neighborhood, or high-end superblock shopping/condo/office enclave. The prospectus is titled Hudson Yards: New York's Next Great Neighborhood, although the renderings convey a sort of Corbusier-superblock grandiosity that flies in the face of the word "neighborhood." Plan diagrams show the first building slated for completion is the south office tower in the Eastern Rail Yard (2015). There are no scheduled dates of completion for the proposed primarily residential Western Rail Yard's development, but there's no disputing that the entire project could be transformative to the West Side.

One feature we enjoyed in the plans: a Cultural Shed exhibition space in the Eastern Rail Yards. It sounds like a place where one can store one's over-sized sculptures next to the lawn care equipment. Case in point: one can see Jeffrey Koons' proposed long-stalled hanging locomotive piece suspended from the ceiling of the Cultural Shed in the background of a rendering. We don't care what type of engineering miracles that will require

----

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street