daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1261
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28342

Things will get more interesting when they start digging in the first place.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #1262
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I'm liking this project less and less with every time I think about it. At first I thought that it is cool that NYC is getting 2 new supertalls and they aren't ugly. However, they aren't beautiful either. Actually I'd say they are quite bland and uninteresting in their averageness. Their height isn't impressive at all considering they are both shorter than the Twin Towers were, so there is nothing left for me to like on this project and I'll confess that I hope it won't be built for the sake of the place staying empty for potentially better looking buildings in the future
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1263
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58051

Kanto, please don't be ridiculous again. Thank you.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1264
Kanto
Roof height crusader

What is ridiculous about not liking a building? You do it all the time with 432 Park
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1265
erbse
LIBERTINED

So you're telling us you start to dislike these buildings because all of a sudden they're "too short" (seriously, you've got to be out of your mind) and bland? Argueing to argue, it seems.

And you aren't comparing this to 432 Park Ave, are you?

This is built on former railyards, no historical gems have to disappear. And there's no valuable surrounding that'd be harmed by the new buildings.

Last edited by erbse; June 25th, 2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #1266
Kanto
Roof height crusader

They aren't too short suddenly, they always were. It is only me taking a more in depth look at this project recently that I found out that there is nothing beautiful about this project after all, not the height and not the design. It takes time for an opinion to fully develop itself and as I said before, at first I didn't think much about these buildings and said the common automatic cool. Now that I have thought more about them I found out that for me there is nothing cool about them.

As for comparing it to 432 Park, both are supertalls about to rise in NYC, so I don't see anything wrong with comparing them. I personally would be glad if they changed the design of the Hudson Yards towers and make them look more like 432 Park
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1267
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

WOW you are BORING.

Have you ever seen a supertall in real life, huh?

P.S: i am NOT bullying.
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1268
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
This is built on former railyards, not historical gems have to disappear.
I too am happy that no beautiful old buildings have to be crushed for this to rise, but I think that alone can't make an average tower to be great.
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1269
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
.....and said the common automatic cool. Now that I have thought more about them I found out that for me there is nothing cool about them.
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1270
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Yeah, the whole Hudson Yards project is tiny, small and boring. Please, give it a rest. You need to realize how huge this whole thing is.
Even in HK a project like this would be quite impressive and most certainly called a "city within a city".

I think you need to travel more and appreciate real height. A building over 300m is tall, even if you are surrounded by them every day. Even us spoiled Hkers would not dare to call a 300m+ skyscraper "too short".
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1271
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

These are a fantastic break from the standard box shape that a majority of Manhattan's office buildings are plagued with. So you want to redesign them so they look like 432 Park, which has the same shape of nearly every tall building in New York? No thanks. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any pure office buildings that are actually U/C that are better looking than these, outside of Shanghai Tower. And your obsession with comparing everything to the height of the Twin Towers is bizarre to be honest. And calling the height nothing special is obviously ridiculous, and frankly, doesn't even merit a response. Edit: Agreed HK. This one block on the eastern half of the HY will have 4 buildings over 800 feet tall... The height is indisputably impressive.

At the end of the day your entitled to your opinion on the architecture front. However I suspect a whopping majority of people think of these are at least above average. I gotta call you out on basically rooting against this project though. How can you possibly say that when Related is going to pay to turn a block that looks like this...

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougton...n/photostream/

Into this?

https://www.visualhouse.co.uk/featproject/305
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #1272
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
They aren't too short suddenly, they always were. It is only me taking a more in depth look at this project recently that I found out that there is nothing beautiful about this project after all, not the height and not the design. It takes time for an opinion to fully develop itself and as I said before, at first I didn't think much about these buildings and said the common automatic cool. Now that I have thought more about them I found out that for me there is nothing cool about them.

As for comparing it to 432 Park, both are supertalls about to rise in NYC, so I don't see anything wrong with comparing them. I personally would be glad if they changed the design of the Hudson Yards towers and make them look more like 432 Park

WTF? Do you live in bizarro world? These towers would be the tallest on several continents and most people seem to think they are stunning.

Have you ever even seen a real 300+ meter building in real life? Please go to the roof of one then come back and tell me it's short with a straight face (something I can't keep when reading your posts sometimes)
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #1273
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Personally, I don't care what Kanto thinks about this development. He doesn't like it? Great. Whatever.

Can we not argue about his opinion?
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #1274
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

to be honest, this probably isn't the best of what could have been, but it sure as hell isn't unimpressive.

nyguy on PBase

Last edited by Hudson11; June 25th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #1275
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

I would say elegant glass boxes. And thats it. Nothing special, but definitely not bad.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1276
erbse
LIBERTINED

Banning Kanto is a pending discussion as we speak and it is since he's around, pretty much.

But anyway, this ain't about personal bitching here, so please turn back to discussing the project itself and not personal projections. Thanks.

Old June 25th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1277
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

This project is so amazing. It's not everywhere you get such elegant "leaning" towers!

But seriously, that brownish 60s-70s building with the inclined sides is so terrible. Are they demolishing it or recladding it?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1278
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
This project is so amazing. It's not everywhere you get such elegant "leaning" towers!

But seriously, that brownish 60s-70s building with the inclined sides is so terrible. Are they demolishing it or recladding it?
Yup. Looks like it'll at least be reclad.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #1279
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I would say elegant glass boxes. And thats it. Nothing special, but definitely not bad.
In real life a box can be any shape, I agree. I could have a box that has a spherical shape or even a spiral shaped box in which I store objects. Therefore, under such a broad definition, these towers can be indeed boxes. However, in architecture, I doubt most people would consider these towers merely boxes. If that were the case, any building could be labeled a box since boxes come in all shapes and sizes. If you are referring to your standard cube shaped containers that one usually refers to as 'box', you are mistaken. These are not simple cubes, and you should refer to your nearest geometry textbook ASAP for clarification

Last edited by aquablue; June 25th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #1280
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
WTF? Do you live in bizarro world? These towers would be the tallest on several continents and most people seem to think they are stunning.

Have you ever even seen a real 300+ meter building in real life? Please go to the roof of one then come back and tell me it's short with a straight face (something I can't keep when reading your posts sometimes)
Perhaps he lives or resides often in Dubai Downtown/Marina or Pudong? I mean, if I did, anything below 300m would look downright puny

Last edited by aquablue; June 25th, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street