daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #1281
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
WTF? Do you live in bizarro world? These towers would be the tallest on several continents and most people seem to think they are stunning.

Have you ever even seen a real 300+ meter building in real life? Please go to the roof of one then come back and tell me it's short with a straight face (something I can't keep when reading your posts sometimes)
Well said, this entire build is quite amazing and is going to dramatically change the skyline. The buildings look great and is going to create a who new area surrounding them in the coming years.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1282
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

The thing that thrills me when I think of mass/ height on a supertall is this: (I know it sounds weird) It's like a Wal-mart, with 50-100 more Wal-Marts stacked on top of it. Providing one electrical, water, heating and cooling supply to a building that size is incredible.

Last edited by L.A.F.2.; June 21st, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #1283
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
In real life a box can be any shape, I agree. I could have a box that has a spherical shape or even a spiral shaped box in which I store objects. Therefore, under such a broad definition, these towers can be indeed boxes. However, in architecture, I doubt most people would consider these towers merely boxes. If that were the case, any building could be labeled a box since boxes come in all shapes and sizes. If you are referring to your standard cube shaped containers that one usually refers to as 'box', you are mistaken. These are not simple cubes, and you should refer to your nearest geometry textbook ASAP for clarification
The definition of what box is or isn't won't change my opinion about it, sorry
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1284
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
The thing that thrills me when I think of mass/ height on a supertall is this: (I know it sounds lame and corny) It's like a Wal-mart, with 50-100 more Wal-Marts stacked on top of it. Providing one electrical, water, heating and cooling supply to a building that size is incredible.
This is a very interesting POV, sir.
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1285
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
The definition of what box is or isn't won't change my opinion about it, sorry
Face it, these are not simple boxes. Dismissing them as such is just highly fallacious. First of all, these towers have sloping sides and are non-symmetrical. I think you are attempting to degrade and dismiss the high quality nature of these towers with simplistic descriptors and you may have some ulterior motive for doing so.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1286
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Other than the new tower u/c in Shanghai, I am unaware of any other project planned or u/c anywhere that rivals these amazing towers.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1287
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Face it, these are not simple boxes. Dismissing them as such is just highly fallacious. First of all, these towers have sloping sides and are non-symmetrical. I think you are attempting to degrade and dismiss the high quality nature of these towers with simplistic descriptors and you may have some ulterior motive for doing so.
Yeah? Seems like you have to face the fact that you are classic biased NY fanboy attacking even neutral comments
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1288
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58055

Please stop this, thank you.

If there's a need for personal discussion, do it on a Private Messaging base.
Otherwise we'll need brigs or bans in here.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1289
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

I know that these two will be mostly build over space currently not used by tracks. But how will the build foundations for the towers DIRECTLY over the train tracks? Is there any video explaining it? Also, what would happen if a big train accident happens under the platform, causing fires and damage to the columns? The engeenering of this project is definately a masterjob.

IŽd like to discuss this.

Regards Danny
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #1290
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
I know that these two will be mostly build over space currently not used by tracks. But how will the build foundations for the towers DIRECTLY over the train tracks? Is there any video explaining it? Also, what would happen if a big train accident happens under the platform, causing fires and damage to the columns? The engeenering of this project is definately a masterjob.

IŽd like to discuss this.

Regards Danny
according to the architect, the yards will be covered by a typical column and beam platform. like brookfield, the platform will create that plaza area you see in the renderings. But unlike brookfield, the design is more common (brookfield is precast bridge spans, no columns for the deck platform.

It will be steel based for the concerns you listed above. Likely, the columns will also be encased with concrete for added protection.

I imagine that like with the brookfield development, the towers will base their foundations on the ground in and around the tracks, not on the platform itself.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1291
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
to be honest, this probably isn't the best of what could have been, but it sure as hell isn't unimpressive.

nyguy on PBase
Which one was the better alternative?
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1292
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerdude View Post
Which one was the better alternative?
i meant that maybe something better could have built, but i like what we have now and anything bigger probably wasn't feasible
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1293
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Notably, this would not be the first building to be build over railroad tracks. Cira Centre in Philly comes to mind...I am sure there must be other examples.
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #1294
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

I just passed the site the other day, and there were piling machines on site, thought they weren't being used. Hopefully they will begin piling for the slurry wall in the next couple months.
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1295
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

Hey look >>> Its a picture of what you're supposed to be talking about!

Eastern37 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #1296
luisgustavo
Chico Tepa

Likes (Received): 1735

i like the architecture desing and style.
luisgustavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM   #1297
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 2461

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
So you're telling us you start to dislike these buildings because all of a sudden they're "too short" (seriously, you've got to be out of your mind) and bland? Argueing to argue, it seems.

And you aren't comparing this to 432 Park Ave, are you?

This is built on former railyards, no historical gems have to disappear. And there's no valuable surrounding that'd be harmed by the new buildings.
Yes, I think that they're too short. Countries like Vietnam and hitherto-unknown cities in China put up 500m+ towers like they're nothing, and here we are acting like 310m towers are some big deal. I could go to a Chinese town (a town having just a million people, of course) and no one would bat an eye if I put this up!

A 310m tower would have been news in 1980, but times have changed. The US needs to get with the times, things like this make its "hyperpowerdom" seem hollow.
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1298
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58055

No, I just think the perspective has changed here.

Skyscrapers are still often built to show off, but aren't really necessary to secure a higher standing or anything like that.

Look at Switzerland for instance. It's one of the world's most renowned and reckoned countries, yet it's hardly building any notable highrises.

I suggest we'd continue this if necessary elsewhere. It doesn't belong here at all.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #1299
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan34 View Post
Yes, I think that they're too short. Countries like Vietnam and hitherto-unknown cities in China put up 500m+ towers like they're nothing, and here we are acting like 310m towers are some big deal. I could go to a Chinese town (a town having just a million people, of course) and no one would bat an eye if I put this up!

A 310m tower would have been news in 1980, but times have changed. The US needs to get with the times, things like this make its "hyperpowerdom" seem hollow.

No city in China has a completed 500+ meter building

Vietnam also has no 500 meter buildings

These towers, while near 1300 feet aren't even the tallest planned in NY anyway so why are people complaining?

By decades end one could argue NY will have the worlds best skyline, one of the tallest and largest overall. Sounds good to me
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #1300
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

No need to build tall for the sake of doing so.

Just make sure its in line with the skyline and its got class.

Just look at BK and its surroundings, looks silly right?

Yeah, as Jay said, no city in China has a 500m tower unless you count Taipei 101, which really isn't a real legit 500m tower.

I don't think people here are excited that a 300m tower is being built, more that this is a new complex and a new project. EVERYONE likes new projects and complexes!!!!!
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street