daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1361
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I'd imagine so. The Coach tower's price tag is $1.3 billion. Labor and construction costs are much higher in NYC than just about anywhere else in the US. After it's all finished it should top over $10 billion easily. Though it will probably take the better part of this decade to finish.
No doubt in that. The first thing that came to my mind was the lot where it's being build. I'd imagine just that plot of land would be very expensive. Then of course like you said, it's new york, it's more expensive hahaha.
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1362
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Those renders look like a chunk of Coruscant landed on Manhattan! The thought of walking the High-Line from south Chelsea up to and around the Hudson Yards towers makes me swoon. No other city has anything close to this! It's the grandest addition to the urban landscape since Central Park.
Old August 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1363
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...IONS/120829918

Nearly all unions climb aboard Hudson Yards labor-cost deal
Related Cos. hammers out worker pact that should get first half of megaproject rolling

By Daniel Massey
August 26, 2012

Quote:

After months of tense negotiations, the Related Cos. and the city's construction unions have agreed in principle to a series of cost-saving measures that will help push the $15 billion Hudson Yards project forward and ensure that it is built with union labor. Some four dozen unions covering more than a dozen trades agreed to cut wage and benefit packages and change work rules in order to grab a piece of a massive construction project that could keep their members working for at least 10 years. The overall deal, known as a project labor agreement, is not yet final, but last week, District Council of Carpenters delegates voted to approve a 10% wage and benefit reduction for work on Hudson Yards, the last of the participating unions to agree to help Related control costs.

...The project labor agreement covers the first half of the Hudson Yards project: two large commercial buildings, a residential skyscraper, a mixed-use tower and a retail complex encompassing about 8 million square feet on the eastern rail yards. Both sides expressed optimism that a further deal will be worked out when construction is ready to begin on the remainder of the project. Related needed cost savings to help make Hudson Yards affordable to tenants and competitive with commercial buildings being constructed in lower Manhattan. With the first building—a 46-story tower to house the corporate headquarters of retailer Coach—slated to start rising in the fall, time was running out for a deal. A Related spokeswoman declined to comment.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1364
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

The only project to ever have as much of an impact on a single city, in my opinion, is City Center in Las Vegas. CityCenter absolutely transformed the strip, and brought a whole new level of class and glamour to an area that was lacking it.
I imagine that the Hudson Yards will do the same thing, but on a scale MUCH greater. We're talking about housing Coach, one of the world's most famous high-end accessory makers, in an area that was once considered Urban Ruin practically. We're turning an area that used to be infamous as one of the most run-down areas below 96th street, into a beautiful modern village. Never has the future of NYC been so bright. I think NYC is perhaps the best evolving city in the World at the moment, and I think we're seeing the forefront of a beautiful transformation of this great city. I'm glad to say that I live here. The city is literally changing and growing better and better in front of my eyes.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #1365
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57971

You're exaggerating (slightly ), but indeed, it's a great improvement for the area.

It's important to get more urbanity where it's possible for the city. There's not much left where there's such a potential.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #1366
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
You're exaggerating (slightly ), but indeed, it's a great improvement for the area.

It's important to get more urbanity where it's possible for the city. There's not much left where there's such a potential.
So you evidently don't spend much time in NYC? Please don't tell someone from NYC that they're wrong about their city. If I was talking about Frankfurt and a project there, you'd have that right.

New York City's Midtown Area, especially in the West is very industrial and is probably the least attractive part of Manhattan below 96th street aside from the bad parts of the Lower East Side. This project is literally taking a decrepit area and turning it into a new iconic neighborhood, in one swoop! To tell me I'm exaggerating is pure stupidity. Walk around Midtown East and tell me that it won't experience much of a change. It is going to go through a Renaissance beyond the one that lower manhattan has seen in the past 10 years.

And I disagree, it's not important to get urbanity wherever possible. At least not in America. If the High Line and Central Park don't emphasize the point enough that Americans prefer cities that mix Urbanity and Nature. Plus, seriously, what's more Urban that Rail Yards in the middle of Manhattan? I think you have your vocabulary mixed up.
I think what you mean to say is that NYC needs new walkable, comfortable neighborhoods wherever possible, and that I agree with.

Last edited by royal rose1; August 27th, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1367
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

lol dude what do you think urban means? A rather hostile response to erbse, and you contradict yourself often
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1368
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57971

Indeed. Additionally, I was quite obviously talking about this when considering your post an exaggeration:
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
The only project to ever have as much of an impact on a single city, in my opinion, is City Center in Las Vegas.
(...)
Never has the future of NYC been so bright. I think NYC is perhaps the best evolving city in the World at the moment, and I think we're seeing the forefront of a beautiful transformation of this great city.
There are cities like Dubai or many Chinese places that literally turned from villages into considerable cities in the means of only a decade. Due to single projects. You won't compare century-old NYC to that. Despite of NYC being a developed city, while other places have ten times the projects or more. (Though we gotta admit NYC is back on track, definitely.)

Anyway, don't mean to argue. Just stay more calm and rather avoid such statements.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1369
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Indeed. Additionally, I was quite obviously talking about this when considering your post an exaggeration:

There are cities like Dubai or many Chinese places that literally turned from villages into considerable cities in the means of only a decade. Due to single projects. You won't compare century-old NYC to that. Despite of NYC being a developed city, while other places have ten times the projects or more. (Though we gotta admit NYC is back on track, definitely.)

Anyway, don't mean to argue. Just stay more calm and rather avoid such statements.
Why should he avoid what was basically an opinion on his city. He never proclaimed this as a fact. I think he has the right to be enthusiastic without some telling him to stop, I.e, calm down, especially from a mod.

Last edited by aquablue; August 28th, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1370
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Another potential tenant!

The financial capital of the world powers on!!!

From the WSJ 29 Aug. 2012 edition:

http://professional.wsj.com/article/...235307218.html

Citi's Towering Ambitions

Citigroup Inc. may be scouting for a new skyscraper.

No, the big bank isn't expected to leave its current headquarters at 399 Park Ave. in Midtown Manhattan. But the company is said to be scouting for a new location to replace 2.6 million square feet of space it currently rents at 388-390 Greenwich St. in the trendy Tribeca neighborhood. The space is the onetime headquarters of Travelers Group and is owned by SL Green Realty Corp. SLG -0.23%That lease expires in 2020.

Citigroup managers had discussions with several landlords about developing a new tower for the company, according to multiple real-estate executives briefed on the discussions. The search is still early and Citigroup could decide to stay in place.

"Although we're always in touch with the real-estate community about space that's coming on the market over the coming years, we don't have any plans to change our footprint in New York City at this point," says Janis Tarter, a spokeswoman for Citigroup.

The timing on any decision is unclear. But the bank has been in touch with developers including Related Cos. and Brookfield Properties Inc., BPO.T -1.01%both of which own development sites on Manhattan's far West Side, and World Trade Center developer Silverstein Properties Inc., the executives said.

—Eliot Brown
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1371
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Great news Robert!! This site has so much potential!
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1372
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Very good news indeed

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1373
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Related’s West Side miracle
August 31, 2012 | 9:32 am by Erik Ipsen

How does anyone get not four, but four dozen unions to agree to make substantial cuts in their own wage and benefit packages? One truly gargantuan carrot is apparently all it takes, plus many months of negotiations, not to mention high-level cajoling on all sides. But the key thing here is that Related Cos. has tentatively pulled off just such a Herculean feat, according to Crain’s New York Business. In return for those concessions the developer has agreed to build the first half of its $15 billion Hudson Yards office/residential/hotel/retail project with union labor. That includes two big commercial properties, one residential tower, and one retail complex—8 million square feet in all. “Everyone has done in their own way things that are very substantial, not just nickel and dime stuff,” said Paul Fernandes, chief of staff of the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York.
True, the operating engineers, the highly paid folks who do the heavy lifting at the helm of the big construction cranes, have yet to sign on, but there is hope that they too may ultimately fall in line. Just last week, the District Council of Carpenters delegates did just that when they gave the preliminary nod to their portion of the so-called project labor agreement, which calls for a 10% wage and benefit reduction for their members. Additionally, there will be work-rule changes that will save yet more money for Related, all in return for its promise to provide at least a decade’s worth of well-paid work west of Penn Station. Certainly, the spirit of compromise among the unions was aided by unemployment rates of 25% in some building trades, but the growing sophistication and sheer size of several non-union contractors—i.e., competition—helped. And that is what will make future such deals more likely around town, which is good news not just for developers and union members but for tenants—holding out the promise as it does that lower-cost buildings will translate to lower-cost leases.

Read more: http://mycrains.crainsnewyork.com/bl...#ixzz258N6xiL4
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1374
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

i love these buildings, if they were 1400 feet and 1200 feet would be perfect, but there still great sizes and such beauty.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 06:27 AM   #1375
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I can't wait for 300m and 400m inverted towers, together with the accompanying 300m curved condo which will rise with them.

Old September 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1376
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28201

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Related’s West Side miracle
August 31, 2012 | 9:32 am by Erik Ipsen

How does anyone get not four, but four dozen unions to agree to make substantial cuts in their own wage and benefit packages? One truly gargantuan carrot is apparently all it takes, plus many months of negotiations, not to mention high-level cajoling on all sides. But the key thing here is that Related Cos. has tentatively pulled off just such a Herculean feat, according to Crain’s New York Business. In return for those concessions the developer has agreed to build the first half of its $15 billion Hudson Yards office/residential/hotel/retail project with union labor.

Read more: http://mycrains.crainsnewyork.com/bl...#ixzz258N6xiL4
That is quite incredible, but it will guarantee 1000s of jobs for years. Good thinking.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1377
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I agree. Unions in New York are out of control, so it's essential to rein hem in.
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1378
SebaFun
Sebastian

Likes (Received): 16341

Is a amazing proyect!!!

I love it!

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #1379
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I agree. Unions in New York are out of control, so it's essential to rein hem in.
Get Christie to cross the river
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #1380
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Why the hell would we want, that blowhard over here?

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street