daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1481
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Has the taller tower gotten a little taller. or is it just me

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #1482
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think it has gotten a bit taller. 1400 feet or so, however there is no official announcement talking about any height changes on any of these towers so we have to wait and hope for now
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #1483
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

The coach tower has been made lower, I think because of that, the other looks taller. May be also a matter of perspective.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1484
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

No no I wasn't using the couch tower for perspective
Old October 20th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1485
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
The coach tower has been made lower, I think because of that, the other looks taller. May be also a matter of perspective.
The best reference point is the Ohm rental tower across from the Coach Tower. It's the little black and white one, and it's about 375 feet tall. Compared to that, the Coach Tower appears to be around 800 to 900 feet tall -- but not 1,000. That obviously can change though.

Also, SOM's mixed-use (though largely residential) tower with the curved facade was supposed to be 1,000 feet tall, but it looks a lot taller than that.

[IMG]http://oi49.************/ffa5vp.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by RobertWalpole; October 20th, 2012 at 12:16 AM.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:31 AM   #1486
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11212

394m and 65 floor? 6m per floor OMG.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1487
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickguar View Post
Can anyone direct me to an updated render of this site fully completed, with 1) the Manhattan West twins; 2) 3 Hudson Blvd; 3) 34th and 10th St; and 4) 15 Penn Plaza all in the picture as well?

No point in adding in the Girasole without knowing what it will look like.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1488
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Well, we dont't know what Manhattan West or Phase 2 will look like either
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1489
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Well, we dont't know what Manhattan West or Phase 2 will look like either
The final designs will probably be an evolution of what we currently have but the Girasole, as far as I understand it, will have a totally new design.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1490
nickguar

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post

No point in adding in the Girasole without knowing what it will look like.
Thanks for that. That looks great. Truly by the end of the decade, the view of Midtown from New Jersey is going to be ridiculous--with Hudson Yards North, Manhattan West One, and 15 Penn (and their smaller peers) all preceding the Empire State Building in sequence. Beautiful.
nickguar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #1491
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Even though that is no official render, the proportions of the buildings seem to be OK compared to each other and so I get a stronger feeling that not only was the South Tower shortened, but the North Tower has had a height increase too But of course we need to wait for an official height announcement to be sure about any changes
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1492
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloripaNation View Post
394m and 65 floor? 6m per floor OMG.
Not necessarily. From the renderings everything above the skydeck appears to be unoccupied space. Also, there will be huge, multistory trading floors.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:34 PM   #1493
nickguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Even though that is no official render, the proportions of the buildings seem to be OK compared to each other and so I get a stronger feeling that not only was the South Tower shortened, but the North Tower has had a height increase too But of course we need to wait for an official height announcement to be sure about any changes
With Girasole and HY North surpassing the ESB in height, and Manhattan West and 15 Penn essentially matching the ESB in height, the westside of the city is going to be amazing.

I think 33rd-34th West, 42nd East, and all of 57th St will be the three "peaks" of NYC.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1494
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

With so much development in Midtown, the Downtown skyline (for the first time ever, really) will be totally reduced to an ancillary status, even with the completed WTC. The Downtown skyline has always held its own against Midtown (brief gap after 9/11, but they're once again roughly 'equal' in height competition at the tallest levels). Prior to the ESB, Downtown's skyline was undisputedly #1--nothing compares to the beauty of the pre-war NY harbor pictures.

By 2020, Midtown will have likely added at least 6 new 1,000'+ buildings (432 Park, 225 W57th, Torre Verre, Girasole, HY Tower 1, HY Tower 3) while Downtown will be at only 2, with 2 & 3 WTC. There's a ton of other projects in Midtown that are in the pipeline, while it seems only smaller residential/hotels are rising Downtown (56 Leonard and 99 Church aren't small but they still fail to reach 1,000 feet, though 56 Leonard will be very prominent in its surrounding neighborhoods).

I would think Downtown should be the next neighborhood to benefit from a rezoning, even prior to Midtown East. The residential in the neighborhood has been proven to be a great success but even today, with 30~odd thousand extra residents than 10 years ago, the FiDi is absolutely dead at night. Dead! Residents who live there would likely work there, as well. The FiDi should be rezoned so allowable FARs are doubled or tripled if properties are residential, as I recall reading there's under 5 million SF of resi-air rights left in the FiDi. Much of that will be taken by projects like 111 Washington, too.

Maybe they could upzone residential in the FiDi concurrent with the rezoning in Midtown East, so both neighborhood could boom together.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1495
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
With so much development in Midtown, the Downtown skyline (for the first time ever, really) will be totally reduced to an ancillary status, even with the completed WTC. The Downtown skyline has always held its own against Midtown (brief gap after 9/11, but they're once again roughly 'equal' in height competition at the tallest levels). Prior to the ESB, Downtown's skyline was undisputedly #1--nothing compares to the beauty of the pre-war NY harbor pictures.

By 2020, Midtown will have likely added at least 6 new 1,000'+ buildings (432 Park, 225 W57th, Torre Verre, Girasole, HY Tower 1, HY Tower 3) while Downtown will be at only 2, with 2 & 3 WTC. There's a ton of other projects in Midtown that are in the pipeline, while it seems only smaller residential/hotels are rising Downtown (56 Leonard and 99 Church aren't small but they still fail to reach 1,000 feet, though 56 Leonard will be very prominent in its surrounding neighborhoods).

I would think Downtown should be the next neighborhood to benefit from a rezoning, even prior to Midtown East. The residential in the neighborhood has been proven to be a great success but even today, with 30~odd thousand extra residents than 10 years ago, the FiDi is absolutely dead at night. Dead! Residents who live there would likely work there, as well. The FiDi should be rezoned so allowable FARs are doubled or tripled if properties are residential, as I recall reading there's under 5 million SF of resi-air rights left in the FiDi. Much of that will be taken by projects like 111 Washington, too.

Maybe they could upzone residential in the FiDi concurrent with the rezoning in Midtown East, so both neighborhood could boom together.
i disagree, i think downtown's skyline with the completed wtc will be amazing, yes midtown will be amazing as well, but for me i always liked downtown more, i think downtown would look kinda of bad with other buildings taller then the wtc unless it had a really good design that would fit in with it all.
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:48 PM   #1496
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I too like downtown more than midtown, however, I agree with babybackribs that even the complete new WTC is not enough to make the downtown skyline able to compete with midtown. and I think downtown desperately needs something taller than the WTC
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1497
nickguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I too like downtown more than midtown, however, I agree with babybackribs that even the complete new WTC is not enough to make the downtown skyline able to compete with midtown. and I think downtown desperately needs something taller than the WTC
Couldn't agree more. I think "Twin Freedom Towers" would have restored Downtown to its pre-9/11 feel. However, the new WTC will be very nice in and of itself--but it still doesn't compare to the boom in Midtown.

Eventually, the ideal scenario would be one 1,800+ footer (considerably taller than WTC 1) in Downtown (particularly something rising closer to 40 Wall St and 70 Pine St towards the "tip" of the island as opposed to the "sides" like the WTC).

And then a Midtown mega-tall surpassing this hypothetical Downtown mega-tall in height (probably at the Grand Central Station site).
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:51 AM   #1498
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Am I the only one who thinks mega talls would look out of place in NYC?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:57 AM   #1499
nickguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Am I the only one who thinks mega talls would look out of place in NYC?
That's a common sentiment around here. But I think it's only because they don't exist yet. Did ESB and Chrysler look out of place in the mid-30s? No, they dominated the skyline.

If NYC is going to have a bunch of new 1,000-1,400 footers, at some point, that "plateau" is going to be considerably broken--and should be.

If you add another 8 or 10 supertalls to NYC by 2025, then one or two megatalls would look perfect.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 02:31 AM   #1500
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

That's true that a megatall could fit in a group of 1000 footers.
Look at other cities where it does too, although NY is one of a kind.
If there will be one, it must have the best design ever.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street