daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1541
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

A 1,337 foot tower, together with an 876 foot tower, and another 1,000+ foot tower on Phase 1 alone is hardly grounds for dismay.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #1542
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
A 1,337 foot tower, together with an 876 foot tower, and another 1,000+ foot tower on Phase 1 alone is hardly grounds for dismay.
Just ignore that, RW. I am more then pleased to see the first phase developing the way it does. :-)
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1543
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4543

So the north tower has had a height increase into the 400's and people are complaining/raging? wow...

but this is great news! the Coach tower is taller than i expected from when i first saw the redesigns! can't wait for these to take off
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #1544
RobertWalpole
BANNED

http://observer.com/2012/10/hudson-y...ervation-deck/

Mr. Ross' Neighborhood

Hudson Yards Will Be Taller Than the Empire State Building, Including a Higher Observation Deck
By Matt Chaban 4:43pm

What’re you lookin’ at? (Visualhouse/Related)

Party on the skyline. (Visualhouse/Related)
Earlier this week, the Related Companies announced it had found backers to begin building the first tower of its Hudson Yards project (at the same time that it is trying to get a break from the MTA for payments on the entire 16-acre complex). Should the project get off the ground, it will have a long way to go.

Sure, in terms of time, as it will takes years, if not decades, for the entire 12 million square feet of office, residential, retail and cultural space to be built. But there is also a long way to go in terms of distance. As the design team puts the finishing touches on the first phase of the project, it turns out the other office tower on the site, which has yet to find an anchor tenant or an announced start date, will become the second or third tallest building in the city when it is completed, surpassing the Empire State Building.
At 1,300 feet, the tallest of the Hudson Yards towers (designed by KPF) will fall just short of 1 World Trade Center (sans antenna, er, spire) and the even taller 432 Park, CIM and Harry Macklowe’s new luxury tower at the corner of 57th Street and Park Avenue, which reaches a spindly 1,397 feet into the skyline.

But this is not the only place where Hudson Yards will surpass the Empire State Building. It will also boast both a observation areas closer to heaven than at the Empire State Building, both indoors and out.

Perhaps you noticed an unusual shard jutting out from the side of the tallest tower in the latest set of renderings, first revealed a few weeks ago in New York magazine? That is an open-air observation deck located at 1,100 feet. That puts it 50 feet above the Empire State Building’s famous outdoor terrace, that iconic movie set and marriage proposal destination.

And above Hudson Yard’s outdoor observation space will be a veritable playland of attractions reaching to the top of the tower, and by extension beyond the Empire State Building’s topmost observation room, at 1,250 feet, the place where zeppelins were once meant to dock.

“It’s more akin to the Rainbow Room to be honest,” Related spokeswoman Joanna Rose explained. “We have a ballroom, restaurant and bars above the observation deck that offer panoramic views. And yes, we are looking at locating some of those above the 1250 mark.”

They are just going after all the landmarks—not just the Empire State Building but Rockefeller Center, too. And it will be hard to compete, since as previously reported, that master of hospitality Danny Meyer will be running the show way up in the clouds.
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1545
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

In that new brochure they updated the heights and I think only the render of the first page, the rest are clearly the older renders, kind of odd. And the observation platform is not seen or mentioned. Will still be made? at least in the only render that is updated, it is not shown since it would be at the opposite corner that the shown in that render. edit, in the article posted above says it will still be there.

BTW the height figures must be the total height, they never give the height of a building as the top floor, but the tip of the building.

Last edited by CCs77; October 26th, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1546
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

No matter how it looks, the observation platform will be one of the best places to be in the city and besides, it isn't that big to be a disruption in the building's design. Outdoor observatories always had the unique feeling of the winds blowing around you
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1547
Yamauchi
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 54

Great development. The 407m tower is beautiful. Congrats to NY, soon to be a jungle of supertalls.
Yamauchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 01:19 AM   #1548
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

The tower has 67 office floors, the top floor is 73, look again at the diagram

either way NYC RULES!
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #1549
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

This whole ******* development is a dream come true. It's really starting to hit me how huge and important it is. It's the private sector response to the WTC.
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #1550
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

I swear, this project just keeps getting better and better every day (unlike its rival downtown, not mentioning any names ).
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #1551
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I swear, this project just keeps getting better and better every day (unlike its rival downtown, not mentioning any names ).
lol
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1552
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The design got worse for this building, the base got better for the WTC!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #1553
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Observation deck!
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #1554
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Observation deck!
yup, forget about 1 WTC and the NY Wheel, this one will have a full panoramic view of Manhattan from it's location
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #1555
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Observation deck!
Observation deck is on level 73 which is the top floor, could you change the thread title? It is visible in the diagram on the page before.
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #1556
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern37 View Post
Observation deck is on level 73 which is the top floor, could you change the thread title? It is visible in the diagram on the page before.
For whatever reason, Related only counts the floors with office space -- not observation decks, etc.

[IMG]http://oi46.************/v49ysp.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #1557
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The design got worse for this building, the base got better for the WTC!
How did you know I was referring to the WTC?

I, along with many others, beg to differ concerning changes to the two complexes. For HY, the main building has gotten taller, now it has an outdoor observatory, and the residential towers will be bigger and the designs are so much better that the originals. 1WTC had its mast stripped, 3WTC was scaled down, 2WTC is on hold, and a lack of funding is causing massive delays on all 4 towers. I prefer the new base cladding on 1WTC slightly over the old, but I am not a fan on the squared off base. It looks foreign and out of place on the tower.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #1558
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
For whatever reason, Related only counts the floors with office space -- not observation decks, etc.

[IMG]http://oi46.************/v49ysp.jpg[/IMG]

Yes but that doesn't change the fact that the top floor is the 73rd and that the building has 73 floors. So, title should be changed to 73 floors
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #1559
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I don't disagree. I was simply following the developer's terminology.
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #1560
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

Don't believe this ever got posted here.

Disappointed they changed the direction of the crowns. Looked like an explosion before with focus on the center(like 2 wtc), now it's more awkward.
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 hudson yards, hudson yards, manhattan tower, north tower, supertall, west 33rd street